Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

that movie is way too old to be of any use, arma 2 has been patched multiple times since then. Besides, the point is still valid since fps is about the same only the slow disk makes it stutter.

I would agree with Leon here as the current builds of Arma are vastly improved with their streaming, I have went from 10K raptors to a 6GB/s SSD and there really is little discernable difference.

I even fitted 25GB of RAM into my new system to run a RAMdisk specifically for Arma but I don't feel compelled to use it as streaming performance has improved so much over the patches.

Decent 10k RPM or higher drives are fine for A2 and if you keep them well maintained (frequently defragged) they still perform well in game alongside SSDs.

An SSD is on an order of magnitude faster than a 10k raptor.

Yah and since they aren't part of the Graphics subsystem, they do not directly affect FPS. They can reduce hitching and texture popups but neither of these has anything to do with FPS (Similarly, fast HDDs, especially in a RAID config, will deliver comparable results).

This silly argument was done to death last year and there is no need to revisit it now. SSD's are a great upgrade, but if you are looking for FPS, you should be looking at GPUs (and CPUs).

---------- Post added at 08:25 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

but if you need better IQ for work[photography, video and etc], pick ATi, esp for CRT screens.

What absolute rubbish.

PS: I don't know any people who do video editing/photography that work on a CRT (myself included). There are plenty of professional grade S-IPS panels that are way better than CRTs these days.

Edited by BangTail

Yah and since they aren't part of the Graphics subsystem, they do not directly affect FPS. They can reduce hitching and texture popups but neither of these has anything to do with FPS (Similarly, fast HDDs, especially in a RAID config, will deliver comparable results).

This silly argument was done to death last year and there is no need to revisit it now. SSD's are a great upgrade, but if you are looking for FPS, you should be looking at GPUs (and CPUs).

If you're looking for the top-end rig, would you accept texture caching on Very High settings? If your max. FPS is 50, and it drops down to 1, even for a second during a 10 second time-frame, what is your average?

;)

I would agree with Leon here as the current builds of Arma are vastly improved with their streaming, I have went from 10K raptors to a 6GB/s SSD and there really is little discernable difference.

I even fitted 25GB of RAM into my new system to run a RAMdisk specifically for Arma but I don't feel compelled to use it as streaming performance has improved so much over the patches.

Decent 10k RPM or higher drives are fine for A2 and if you keep them well maintained (frequently defragged) they still perform well in game alongside SSDs.

NO, BS.

Very high preset 1050 p, huge difference in any Arma 2 (i have co + baf + pmc), while playing on seagate 1 platter 500g (20% space, defragmented), or WD caviar black 1TB (70% space defragmented), VS old 80 GB intel G2.

Almost no stuttering, maybe few fps drops, but no more 1 second pauses.

Higher the settings, the more stuttering (logicaly, becouse textures are bigger). Maybe the difference isnt huge in normal setings, but at very high (all very high, except pp effects) there is BIG difference.

Arma2 mem menagement is so poor, shame on bis.

Tested at q6600@ 3.5 4GB ddr2@ 450Mhz, ATI 4850 @700/1100

patch 1.59+ ACE (latest at the time)

You can try yourself, just copy arma2 folder to other disk, and try.

Shame on you bis, for using less than 1GB of ram... (im no hater or trol, and i almost only play arma2, and have all expansions, and i am huge fun of arma series).

The only times arma really "pauses" for me is when ai is spawned. Or if I start the game and directly do a mad dash with the F35, flying over chernogorsk at 5m altitude. If the ssd makes that much of a difference would you mind fraps'n it and putting it on youtube?

If you're looking for the top-end rig, would you accept texture caching on Very High settings? If your max. FPS is 50, and it drops down to 1, even for a second during a 10 second time-frame, what is your average?

;)

Never happened to me with HDDs. You've got some serious problems (or very old hardware) if that is happening to you.

You should probably learn how to configure your system properly before coming here trying to rehash 'done to death' discussions.

Oh and ;)

Edited by BangTail

Troll some more.

Nothing available will run Arma 2 maxed at 10K VD @ 1080p (maybe on Utes :D )

3 or 4K with a mixture of High/Vhigh would be very doable on that spec.

Not sure what your point is?

I don't play at 10K maxed so what are you trying to say (SSDs don't change that, that's why I said nothing available)

Have a good one :)

Edited by BangTail

You pair are both right one way or another, the SSDs do make a difference as far as alleviating the occasional stutter goes but good well maintained HDDs are pretty much the same. It isn't even 100% stutter proof running it on a RAMdrive either.

There are a few maps I can run on 10k or higher (manually edit CFG draw distance value) but admittedly FPS isn't great, with a few map exceptions.

You can run CAA1's Sahrani on 20k or over and still be playable, but as I have stated elsewhere that once you get over 5k then a noticeable corona of fog becomes visual and tends to take out some of the realism.

I tend to just keep it around 8k to keep the map more immerse.

Someone jumping from a 7,200 drive, especially one fragged to shit, to an SSD will notice the difference though. This has always been the case with games with large maps with constantly streaming and not preloaded resources.

Some realy nice test of video cards on patched OA (1.59)

Test system

Intel Core i7-965 processor (3.2GHz: 133MHz x 24)

Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard (Intel X58 Express with three PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots)

3x 2GB Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 memory modules (operating in dual-channel mode at 1,600MHz 9-9-9-24-1T)

Corsair X128 120GB SSD running v1 firmware

Corsair HX1000W PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Antec Twelve Hundred Chassis

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/04/14/kfa-gtx-560-ti-1gb-ltd-oc-review/5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bit older but realy nice system

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs/2011/03/24/scan-3xs-scorpion-x-pc-review/3

I wait for 2 years to have system that can play this game maxed... and still i dont think i will see such systems avalable in 2011., maybe next year with ivy bridge socket r with 50% overclock and next gen hi end video card (clocked).

Hi I need some help with what graphic settings i should be using.

Im finding the game very choppy at the moment id like to able to play at a more stable frame rate. The Game runs at about 45 fps in woods but when i enter towns it can drop to low 20's

Visablilty is set 2000

i7 920 @4.0 speed step enabled

HD 6870 1GB

6GB Ram

180GB Vertex 2e SSD

1920 1200 resolution

I'm playing the ARMA 2 Campaign in Combined operations

Here is my ArmA2OA.cfg file below

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=2;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1059373056;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

vsync=0;

AToC=7;

Windowed=0;

My Graphics options Settings are below

Texture Detail normal

Video Memory V High

AF High

AA Normal

Terain Detail Normal

Objests Detail Normal

Shadow Detail Very High

HDR Normal

Post processing Disabled

V Synch Disabled

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg

Everyone has sub 30 fps in towns with alot of AI and firefights, even at much better systems than yours. I played elektrozavodsk singleplayer scenario (cant remember the name, you are russian guy and atack elektrozavodsk) on i7 @ 4.2, tri channel 6GB ddr3 at 1600 MHz, and with overclocked HD 5970. 1080p 3d @100%

Cpu bottleneck (as stupid as it sounds, it is even on 4+ GHz ), and high on videocard...

I have all arma2 expansions, and i never finished any campagin cos i cant stand low fps with current system. Maybe i will upgreade to sucket r sandy ol bulldozer if they are atleast 20% faster than 2600k (@ 5 GHz).

Try setting the Atoc to 0 in the settings file for a little FPS boost, other than that it is pretty much normal behaviour in towns on Cherno.

Some realy nice test of video cards on patched OA (1.59)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/04/14/kfa-gtx-560-ti-1gb-ltd-oc-review/5

A huge waste of time, if you ask me! when they start using a benchmark that others can compare to I will reconsider my opinion.

For the benchmark itself, we use a 60-second FRAPs run performed within our own custom timedemo. As the benchmark is variable due to AI inconsistencies, tests are performed three times and the average result is used.
Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;1912981']A huge waste of time' date=' if you ask me! when they start using a benchmark that others can compare to I will reconsider my opinion.[/quote']

Totaly agree, but atleast you can see differentiation of video cards performance in arma, and if u check both links, you can clearly see huge performance boost from nehalem @3.2 and sandy at 4.8 (590), thus implying cpu bottleneck.

Still i dont understand why dont they use built benchmarks...

Hello, well the time has finaly come!

This weekend i aim to have my brand new PC built. Now this will be my first build so things will prolly get interesting but i just wanted to post my wanted Specs just in case im making a massive mistake :)

Pro

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz

http://www.novatech.co.u...tel/bx80623i52500k.html

Case

Antec Three Hundred Case

http://www.novatech.co.u...ec/0761345-08300-3.html

Mobo

Asus P8P67 Pro Intel P67 (Socket 1155) Motherboard - B3 Revision

http://www.novatech.co.u...90-mibe5a-g0eay0kz.html

GPU

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Super OC 1024MB

http://www.novatech.co.u...yte/n560so-1gi-950.html

RAM

G.Skill Ripjaws-X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz

http://www.novatech.co.u...f3-12800cl9d-4gbxl.html

HDD

Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive <8.9ms 7200rpm - OEM

http://www.novatech.co.u...tb/samsung/hd103sj.html

PSU

Corsair CX 500W ATX2.2 Power Supply

http://www.novatech.co.u...corsair/cmpsu-500cx.html

Thanks to those who helped me get to this stage (leon86 & Flatterman) and to any help given !

Specs:

i5@4.2G

4 Gb ram

5870 1Gb

650W PSU

Windows 7 64 bit

5760x1080 Eyefinity Landscape

First of all; thanks for looking. I recently upgraded my computer, and sold off the old parts. I kept my 5870 as it was giving me very good performance. Move 3 months ahead in time: “Cool, I can finally afford and have space for a Eyefinty setupâ€

Guess you see where I am headed. The once so-good 5870 is now struggling due to having “only†1 Gb of vram.

I play mostly ArmA 2, FSX, and lately Cliffs of Dover (Il-2).--> What is the best update for my GPU?

I’m open to suggestions and considerations. I also very happy for links to pages with personal experiences in these matters.

A SLI of Gtx 560 ti is a good choice? I mean, a pair of this cards are cheaper than a gtx 580.

Hello, well the time has finaly come!

This weekend i aim to have my brand new PC built. Now this will be my first build so things will prolly get interesting but i just wanted to post my wanted Specs just in case im making a massive mistake :)

Pro

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz

http://www.novatech.co.u...tel/bx80623i52500k.html

Case

Antec Three Hundred Case

http://www.novatech.co.u...ec/0761345-08300-3.html

Mobo

Asus P8P67 Pro Intel P67 (Socket 1155) Motherboard - B3 Revision

http://www.novatech.co.u...90-mibe5a-g0eay0kz.html

GPU

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Super OC 1024MB

http://www.novatech.co.u...yte/n560so-1gi-950.html

RAM

G.Skill Ripjaws-X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz

http://www.novatech.co.u...f3-12800cl9d-4gbxl.html

HDD

Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive <8.9ms 7200rpm - OEM

http://www.novatech.co.u...tb/samsung/hd103sj.html

PSU

Corsair CX 500W ATX2.2 Power Supply

http://www.novatech.co.u...corsair/cmpsu-500cx.html

Thanks to those who helped me get to this stage (leon86 & Flatterman) and to any help given !

Should work, already have a sata dvd drive? otherwise you'll have to install win7 over usb or something.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Specs:

i5@4.2G

4 Gb ram

5870 1Gb

650W PSU

Windows 7 64 bit

5760x1080 Eyefinity Landscape

First of all; thanks for looking. I recently upgraded my computer, and sold off the old parts. I kept my 5870 as it was giving me very good performance. Move 3 months ahead in time: “Cool, I can finally afford and have space for a Eyefinty setupâ€

Guess you see where I am headed. The once so-good 5870 is now struggling due to having “only†1 Gb of vram.

I play mostly ArmA 2, FSX, and lately Cliffs of Dover (Il-2).--> What is the best update for my GPU?

I’m open to suggestions and considerations. I also very happy for links to pages with personal experiences in these matters.

I'm not sure, a 6970 is a bit faster than the 5870 and has more vram, so if lack of vram really is the problem that'll be a solution. If the single card doesnt give the peformance you could consider getting another one for crossfire but a lot of people on this forum strongly suggest you dont as it might give you a lot of headaches.

Single nvidia cards dont have 3-monitor support so if you want to go 3-monitor gaming you'll have to run 2 in sli, problem is that's pretty expensive. And if the 1 GB vram is not enough a couple of 560's will still limit you as they have only 1GB as well. 570's and 580's have a bit more but that's rather expensive.

I guess you'll have to find out for sure if the vram is the problem. Run gpu-z or some other monitoring prog in the background while gaming. Remember to close your browser as the modern gpu accerated browers eat gpu memory as well, even in the background.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

A SLI of Gtx 560 ti is a good choice? I mean, a pair of this cards are cheaper than a gtx 580.

2x 560 ti costs the same as a 580 and usually performs better. Nvidia released the non-ti 560 (the ti version is 30% faster!) so make sure to get ti's if you want to go that route. You'll have to look but maybe the 580 gets about a similar minimum fps.

Personally I think that any multi-GPU setup (SLI/Crossfire) isn't a very good option. So I think you're much better off spending all that money on:

1) a really strong single GPU (factory overclocked GTX 560 Ti)

2) ensuring that the rest of your PC is sufficiently powerful to avoid bottlenecking (i7-2600K overclocked to 4-5 GHz? + SSD? + 8 GB RAM?)

Edited by domokun

Personally I think that any multi-GPU setup (SLI/Crossfire) isn't a very good option. So I think you're much better off spending all that money on:

2) ensuring that the rest of your PC is sufficiently powerful to avoid bottlenecking (i7-2600K overclocked to 4-5 GHz? + SSD? + 8 GB RAM?)

2600K has no advantage over 2500K for arma. Cpu will always be a bottleneck in some places (lots of units, cities), as will the gpu (trees/smoke).

Oh FFS, we've proven over and over that SLI can effectively double FPS.

If you don't know what you're talking about, there is absolutely no benefit in posting.

Edited by BangTail

Oh FFS, we've proven over and over that SLI can effectively double FPS.

If you don't know what you're talking about, there is absolutely no benefit in posting.

you will have to make a song about it, so they will LISTEN and REMEMBER. :D

RuDtwB65MGs

I know, and the most annoying thing is that the majority of the people who say that don't even have SLI.

Edited by BangTail

I know, and the most annoying thing is that the majority of people who say that don't even have SLI.

Some of us do though.

Admittedly my 580s now run A2 a treat but my 285s were an absolute bastard, finding the right driver was a pain in the arse.

My recommendation to a future GFX card buyer is try and get 1.5GB memory cards or higher, my 285s practically ran at 100% usage of their 1GB memories constantly in A2. Sure probably could alter some settings to bring it down, but why compromise?

If you are going SLi I think the 400s and 500s should be okay, 200s use at your own risk and enjoy the driver hunt.