Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Worked fine for me with 3 x 280s tbh.

Never had a problem (except for the first 2 weeks after launch when you needed to manually set up the profile).

what are the specific issues with crossfire by the way. I hear people about flickering in bad company 2, is it that kind of thing?

Well, my experience was only 1 GPU performing properly (at all), that seems to be an 'on and off' issue depending on the drivers and I also had graphical 'anomalies'.

Some people claim it has improved as of the later driver sets but I can neither confirm or deny that as I don't have any AMD cards at this point.

My issue has never been with their hardware - it's solid. My experience with their drivers is something else altogether :(

An 6990 is on its way to me. Ill post my experience on this thread.

I want 3-screen support, and found out that SLI with lots of ram was a little too expensive. 2x 580 = $$$. Most of the "green cards" also has 1,5 gb ram vs. ATIs 2 Gbs.

Ill try my luck with the 6990 as it has gotten OK reviews. Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's loud as hell but as long as you game with headphones, you'll be fine.

Personally, I don't like 't00fer' (dual GPU) cards but I hope you enjoy yours :)

I finally got multiplayer up and running and am extremely happy to see WAY higher fps in comparison with single player, due to a CPU bottleneck I'm sure...

I run at all highest settings (I've been running with viewdistance at 5500, but last game upped it to 10000 and didn't notice much or any slowing) with MLAA, and average 25-40 fps, with occasional drops to low 20s or teens and more jumps above 50fps.

On single player, I have to keep viewdistance at 5500 otherwise it gets too slow.

I have:

-Phenom 955 at 3.8Ghz (stock hsf, I only overclocked for this game, it helped single player a bit)

-4 gigs ddr 1600 (really need 8; I think vista uses ram as a cache? And in some games I have less than a gig free, notice my pagefile growing)

-AMD 6950 2GB

-Running off a single WD 7200 32meg hard drive, I may try to stripe the game across two.

Yes, I know the stories, BT. Wouldn't have bought a "twoofer" if it wasn't for the Eyefinity set-up.

Guess Ill have to see for myself.

As for Arma 2 on large resolutions, the 6990 seems like a good choice:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/24/nvidia-geforce-gtx-590-3gb-review/6

Well it's got to be better than the 590 - that thing spontaneously combusts :p

If I had to choose, I'd take the leafblower sound over a meltdown any day of the week!

I finally got multiplayer up and running and am extremely happy to see WAY higher fps in comparison with single player, due to a CPU bottleneck I'm sure...

I run at all highest settings (I've been running with viewdistance at 5500, but last game upped it to 10000 and didn't notice much or any slowing)

in multiplayer the viewdistance is set server-side, you shouldn't have noticed anything because in multiplayer the setting doesnt do anything.

Hey guys, I am new here obviously. I am really interested in ARMA II, always have been. I have been recently playing the ARMA II and OA demos a lot lately and I really enjoy OA so much more. My computer runs the game pretty well, but sometimes it gets ridiculous. I know the demos are older builds and I assume the full games run somewhat smoother, but I am looking into upgrading my PC anyways.

Right now this PC was a Dell XPS 410 from a while back. The only thing I have upgraded is the GPU. I have a GTS 450 right now from EVGA and I really like it, but everything else is stock in the PC and I know the CPU and RAM have to be bringing the whole PC down. I only have 2 GB of DDR2 RAM and my CPU is the old E6300 Core 2 Duo @ 1.86GHz. I don't want to spend that much money upgrading, but do want to get something which will give a noticeable boost.

Since this is a prebuilt PC I am not even sure it is completely upgradeable. Obviously the GPU is, but I am not sure for RAM and the CPU. I have done some research and others have been able to upgrade their Dells with a new CPU of the same socket type, but I don't know about RAM.

What would you guys recommend me doing for ARMA II? Right now, this game and GTA IV are the only games that give me any problems, with GTA IV giving me more, but I have that for the 360 and don't care much about it running well on my PC. Everything else like Crysis runs on my PC fine, but most other games I have are GPU dependent. But this game is more about the CPU I would guess with so much going on, so I think its definitely time to upgrade that to get better performance on everything, and especially ARMA II.

I wouldn't spend anything on such an old dell machine, sure, you can change the cpu+mobo+ram but then your windows will stop working because it has the dell activation key and only works in dell mobo's. You're probably already taxing your psu quite heavily with the new gpu, so when upgrading to a secondhand quad + more ram the psu might have to be replaced as well.

You could get a faster cpu + mobo + ram + windows7 for about 250-300 euro's provided the dell psu can manage although if you have the money I'd recommend building a completely new rig minus gpu.

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure the PSU is at least 500 watts, but I'm not exactly sure. The best thing is to probably just build a new rig here soon, probably over the summer. This PC is old, and since its a Dell, many things could go wrong. Like I said before, I am not even sure you can upgrade them, or this model at least.

I'll just wait and build a a new rig I guess when I have a bit more money to spend. The game runs nice enough now that I don't need something right away.

Hi there,

I just got my hands on ARMA II (Combined Operations) and can't wait to play it on high graphic settings. The thing is that my rig is kinda outdated by now, I've never been a graphic whore but in this game I just need to see clear, pixel by pixel.

My sys right now:

-OS

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

-Processor

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core (4x 2,1 MHz)

-GPU

ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512 MB)

-HDD

Some crappy no-name bs (300 GB)

-RAM

4 GB DDR2 800 (if I am not mistaken)

My desktop resolution is 1680x1050@59 Hz (x32), that's also the resolution I aim for in game.

Now I've searched and searched and found some possible improvements for my gaming pleasure:

-GPU

Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti Phantom GDDR5 2048 MB PCIe

or

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Super-OC GDDR5 1024 MB PCIe

-HDD

WD VelociRaptor 300 GB 10000 RPM

or

any other HDD with only 7200 RPM (???)

Hopefully someone has the time to look over my "improvements" and give advice ;)

Thanks in advance!

PS: I hope my CPU is strong enough :(

Hopefully someone has the time to look over my "improvements" and give advice ;)

Thanks in advance!

Raptor HDD and the 2GB GFX will give you a good improvement, 1GB GFX cards are a little low for Arma2 when you want the eye candy cranked up (and you will ;) ).

in multiplayer the viewdistance is set server-side, you shouldn't have noticed anything because in multiplayer the setting doesnt do anything.

Yes, I did! I was gonna post a screenshot asking "is this really 10km?"

And am I right that a Phenom II X4 955 running at 3.8GHz is CPU limited around AI in single player? Arma2 is running on high priority and I think about 80% total cpu usage, which is a lot.

I have:

-Phenom 955 at 3.8Ghz (stock hsf, I only overclocked for this game, it helped single player a bit)

-4 gigs ddr 1600 (really need 8; I think vista uses ram as a cache? And in some games I have less than a gig free, notice my pagefile growing)

-AMD 6950 2GB

-Running off a single WD 7200 32meg hard drive, I may try to stripe the game across two.

Hi there,

I just got my hands on ARMA II (Combined Operations) and can't wait to play it on high graphic settings. The thing is that my rig is kinda outdated by now, I've never been a graphic whore but in this game I just need to see clear, pixel by pixel.

My sys right now:

-OS

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

-Processor

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core (4x 2,1 MHz)

-GPU

ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512 MB)

-HDD

Some crappy no-name bs (300 GB)

-RAM

4 GB DDR2 800 (if I am not mistaken)

My desktop resolution is 1680x1050@59 Hz (x32), that's also the resolution I aim for in game.

Now I've searched and searched and found some possible improvements for my gaming pleasure:

-GPU

Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti Phantom GDDR5 2048 MB PCIe

or

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Super-OC GDDR5 1024 MB PCIe

-HDD

WD VelociRaptor 300 GB 10000 RPM

or

any other HDD with only 7200 RPM (???)

Thanks in advance!

I would upgrade one thing at a time, a gpu upgrade will allow for high resolution and aa, postproc etc. A hdd upgrade is purely for streaming and might reduce stutter a bit but I wouldn't get a raptor because ssd's are much faster, a ssd of a similar price is easily big enough for windows + arma.

The cpu is for lots of units, high viewdisctance, model detail etc. that also stresses the gpu a bit but not as much as the cpu.

a gtx560ti will allow for a lot of eyecandy on your resolution.

Yes, I did! I was gonna post a screenshot asking "is this really 10km?"

No, you didn't. That is what Leon is trying to tell you. The reason you had to limit your VD in SP is that your PC is actually implementing the VD you specified.

In MP, it does not respect your setting unless you force it through the editor (or 3rd party mod).

Essentially, in MP you are probably running at ~1500, which is why it seems so smooth.

Thanks for the quick answers!

I'll roll with the 2 GB version of the GTX 560 Ti. One thing at a time won't work for me because my HDD is ~6-7 years old. SSD is ATM no option for me. Maybe I should get 2x cheap 150 GB 7200 RPM HDDs and run them in RAID 0?

no, just get 1 7200 rpm drive of 1TB, a spinpoint F3 or something. The higher data density makes them much faster than 150gb drives.

no, just get 1 7200 rpm drive of 1TB, a spinpoint F3 or something. The higher data density makes them much faster than 150gb drives.

The bigger drive is only better for a while as it will be using the outer of the platter to place the data, once it gets more and more on it it will eventually slow down too.

It will however be a better choice than a lower density drive of the same speed however.

Only downside with the bigger drives is that you have to keep on top of defragging them or you can end up with a day long or possibly more defragging nightmare.

Oh FFS, we've proven over and over that SLI can effectively double FPS.

If you don't know what you're talking about, there is absolutely no benefit in posting.

For reasons of architecture SLI rarely effectively doubles FPS.

Moreover certain cards require a fair amount of effort to work perfectly.

So I stand by my suggestion that for most of us, in terms of "bang for your buck" money spent on SLI is prolly better invested elsewhere.

BTW if you don't know how to be polite then I suggest you refrain from posting here.

Edited by domokun

I'm thinking of buying ARMA II:OA and wondered how it would run on my rig that I will be upgrading the CPU on today. I plan on upgrading to a 100-200gb SSD for the OS, as well as upgrading to a faster single GPU down the road. Here's what the specs will be today:

Case: Antec P182

PSU: Antec CP-850

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3

CPU: Intel i5-2500K (Stock cooling for now - will overclock down the road)

RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600

VGA: 2 x XFX HD4890 1GB in Crossfire

Monitor: Acer 23" @ 1920x1080

OS Drive: 2x 74gb Raptor in RAID 0

Secondary Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Any thoughts are appreciated.

The bigger drive is only better for a while as it will be using the outer of the platter to place the data, once it gets more and more on it it will eventually slow down too.

It will however be a better choice than a lower density drive of the same speed however.

Only downside with the bigger drives is that you have to keep on top of defragging them or you can end up with a day long or possibly more defragging nightmare.

windows vista and 7 automatically defragment every week. I made a 40 GB partition before making the windows partition, installed arma on the first. To make sure it's on the fastest part of the disk :D

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

I'm thinking of buying ARMA II:OA and wondered how it would run on my rig that I will be upgrading the CPU on today. I plan on upgrading to a 100-200gb SSD for the OS, as well as upgrading to a faster single GPU down the road. Here's what the specs will be today:

Case: Antec P182

PSU: Antec CP-850

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3

CPU: Intel i5-2500K (Stock cooling for now - will overclock down the road)

RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600

VGA: 2 x XFX HD4890 1GB in Crossfire

Monitor: Acer 23" @ 1920x1080

OS Drive: 2x 74gb Raptor in RAID 0

Secondary Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Any thoughts are appreciated.

try the demo would be my first thought.

try the demo would be my first thought.
I tried the demo last night with my c2d e6750 @ 3.4Ghz + 4gb RAM. It felt pretty sluggish.

Forgive me, I'm sure this is somewhere around here, but how do you show FPS? I'm really just wondering how much of an impact moving from an old dual core to a new quad core will have.