Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

If you dont want to assemble a pc from parts and dont have the money for an overpriced oem gamingsystem you can always look at secondhand machines.

Make sure the hard drive is a decent one also Incognito84.

I just picked up the system and fired up Arma2. It runs like a dream. The only setting that seems to slow it down at all is the Vsync setting which I gladly disabled.

I run everything on High/Very High with distance set to max and am getting between 50-60fps. It's beautiful. I can finally enjoy Arma2 instead of wrestling with it all the time.

@Incognito84

Good to hear - I have a 2500K sitting on a shelf awaiting an imminent build, although I have more RAM and a 6950 for the eye candy, so should get similar results.

Have you over clocked the 2500K at all ?

cj

@Incognito84

Good to hear - I have a 2500K sitting on a shelf awaiting an imminent build, although I have more RAM and a 6950 for the eye candy, so should get similar results.

Have you over clocked the 2500K at all ?

cj

Actually, no I haven't. I'm satisfied enough with it's out of box performance that I don't feel the need to overclock it right away. I probably will after a little while once more demanding games come out but I'll just leave it the way it is for the time being.

Just replaced my e8500 duocore and mobo with the Intel 2500k, Sabretooth mobo and 8gigs 1600 ddr3 and I'm sold :)

The kind of improvements I generally look for from a new video card I've now found elsewhere.

Arma 2 Benchmark #1 jumped from 24 > 59 repeatedly tested.

....Benchmark #2 jumped from a measly 10 > 25.

2500k is an awesome chip as I only ran the Asus auto AI clocker ( lame I know) and it made an impressive OC to 4.3 ghz with all temps low and stable.

Best upgrade I've felt in a long time!

Actually, no I haven't. I'm satisfied enough with it's out of box performance that I don't feel the need to overclock it right away. I probably will after a little while once more demanding games come out but I'll just leave it the way it is for the time being.

yeah, these sandy bridge 2500K cpu's are fast. On stock they deliver about the game performance of the "old" i7's overclocked to 4Ghz.

so you got 10000 View Distance at all high/very high??

Yup, I have the view distance at 10000. It doesn't seem to bother the card at all. Here's proof! :)

I have a stock i7 920 @2.67 - 4GB RAM and a 1 GB GTS250 - i cannot overclock as I have a locked BIOS. It seems that a new card is all I can buy to improve performance which is quite adequate to be fair.

In a firefight I get mid 30s framerate. I was under the impression that framesrate and performance is mainly down to the CPU in this game ?

Would I gain much from buying a mid to high end card for £200 over my current one given that my CPU will stay the same ? ....thanks

A gts 250 isn't that fast. What res do you run at?

Yup, I have the view distance at 10000. It doesn't seem to bother the card at all. Here's proof! :)

what the..!? how is that proof................. its a still *ROLLS EYES*

Ah okay Inkognito, no the View Distance is set server side in multiplayer, mostly around 2500. For 10000, place yourself in the Editor on Chernarus, fire it up and do a 360° turn

what the..!? how is that proof................. its a still *ROLLS EYES*

Lol, it isn't even 10k. It's an MP match which will have a 2 to 3k draw distance set up in the status menu.

Trust me, that pic isn't 10k draw distance. ;)

so you got 10000 View Distance at all high/very high??

hardly beleive that CPU's able to handle thats even built ;-)

maybe AMD buldozers CPU's ?

they more seriously focused on throughputs[tnx to improved sheduler], than on trying to polish lack of it, by wasting silicon on cache, in them.

with other than "very high" video memory setting, increasing viewdistances had less sharp impact on it -)

Edited by BasileyOne

:) Hi guys.

I want to upgrade my system 'cause i'm not satisfied (i hate fps drops in some scenarios) but i should dcide what to upgrade to obtain the maximum advantage of fps.

I'm runnign the game at 1920x1200

My system:

i7 920@4200 mhz HT Off no turbo

12 Gb ram 1600

3x OCZ Vertex 2 120 gb (1 for OS; 1 for Arma2 and OA, 1 for other programs)

2xGigabyte GTX460 SOC@900 gpu/4000 ram

Upgrade option 1: 2x gtx 570

Upgrade option 2: Sandy Bridge 2600k + good mobo

What do you think about? Tnx in advance!

1680 * 1050. - low vd

a better card will allow for more antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, post and hdr rendering or a higher resolution and the game will not bog down as much when there's a lot of smoke on the screen.

A better cpu will allow for better viewdistance/more units on screen (altough that also stresses the gpu a bit of course)

I have a q6600@3.3 I guess that's sortof comparable to a stock i7@2.66. I noticed much better performance moving from an 8800gtx to a gtx260 and even more when moving to 2 of those in sli, mind you my resolution is much higher (1920x1200). I guess a gpu upgrade is the best bang/buck upgrade you can do. Look for cards like the 6950 or gtx560.

If you're a bargain hunter the sapphire 5850 xtreme is very cheap for the performance, and a decent upgrade coming from a gts250.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

:) Hi guys.

I want to upgrade my system 'cause i'm not satisfied (i hate fps drops in some scenarios) but i should dcide what to upgrade to obtain the maximum advantage of fps.

I'm runnign the game at 1920x1200

My system:

i7 920@4200 mhz HT Off no turbo

12 Gb ram 1600

3x OCZ Vertex 2 120 gb (1 for OS; 1 for Arma2 and OA, 1 for other programs)

2xGigabyte GTX460 SOC@900 gpu/4000 ram

Upgrade option 1: 2x gtx 570

Upgrade option 2: Sandy Bridge 2600k + good mobo

What do you think about? Tnx in advance!

Dunno, what's the typical bog-down scenario? explosions? a million units?

@ Incognito

You can't run the game at 10K/Maxed anywhere other than Utes/desert (insert other small, low detail island here) and all this on a 460?

That's comedy :D

As others have said, unless they are forced otherwise, MP games default to significantly lower VD/Detail settings.

Edited by BangTail

@ Incognito

You can't run the game at 10K/Maxed anywhere other than Utes/desert (insert other small, low detail island here) and all this on a 460?

That's comedy :D

As others of said, unless they are forced otherwise, MP games default to significantly lower VD/Detail settings.

Haha, didn't realize that. Now I know. In my defense, I've had a crappy computer for a long time so I didn't really know what Arma2 was supposed to look like on a decent rig.

Ah okay Inkognito, no the View Distance is set server side in multiplayer, mostly around 2500. For 10000, place yourself in the Editor on Chernarus, fire it up and do a 360° turn

I flew around in Chenarus in an F-35B with the draw distance on 10000. It was definitely playable, just a bit too stuttery so I set it down to 8000.

I do know that the CPU > the video card in Arma2. I've already noticed that the only setting that really bogs it down are Vsync and high draw distances (above 8000). Other than that, I can max out the entire game without any hits to performance.

...and since when is 1680x1050 a low resolution? It's the most common native resolution for most new monitors. At least that's what I thought.

Edited by Incognito84

...and since when is 1680x1050 a low resolution? It's the most common native resolution for most new monitors. At least that's what I thought.

not anymore, 1920x1080 is the new 1680x1050

not anymore, 1920x1080 is the new 1680x1050

The difference between those two resolutions is very negligable. I use a 1920x1080 at work and a 1680x1050 at home and despite the one at work being a tiny bit larger, it's definitely not a game changer. I wouldn't call 1680x1050 "low resolution."

Haha, didn't realize that. Now I know.

Ahh, shit happens. You made my day! :)

The difference between those two resolutions is very negligable. I use a 1920x1080 at work and a 1680x1050 at home and despite the one at work being a tiny bit larger, it's definitely not a game changer. I wouldn't call 1680x1050 "low resolution."

difference with 1080p is 15%, diff compared to 1920x1200 is 30%. 1680x1050 is not low but there's a big difference in fps on 1680x1050 compared to 1920x1200, worse than just the extra rendering work because object drawdistance also depends on res.

I am going to go for a GTX570 - hopefully I will see a better framerate with this. It requires 2 6 pin power supply cords. My GTS250 is currently using just one...taking a peer inside the case their appears to be a 2nd 6 pin cord tied up , would it be possible to use that ?

Never really needed to open a case before hence the total lack of knowledge :p