Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Okay tried to put a pc together on a site.

AMD Athlon II250 x2 3.0ghz

300GB HDD

4GB Kingston Value Ram 800

9600GT 512

Asus 760G mobo

coolermaster 390W psu

Asus pc case.

total 302 Euro so around 350 with the send fee etc etc.

Whatya think?

Edited by Azamato

390W is a pretty mediocre power rating for a PSU, that said, the PC isn't the most powerful on earth and it will probably do fine. If there's anyway you could bump it up to even a 450W it would be better.

ok this is my system. What are your thoughts on it and how this game will run.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3

2.20 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI 1.XX

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0608 06/11/2007

Slot 'DIMM_A1' has 1024 MB

Slot 'DIMM_A2' has 1024 MB

Slot 'DIMM_B1' has 1024 MB

Slot 'DIMM_B2' has 1024 MB

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [Display adapter]

BenQ T903 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, March 2005)

390W is a pretty mediocre power rating for a PSU, that said, the PC isn't the most powerful on earth and it will probably do fine. If there's anyway you could bump it up to even a 450W it would be better.

I'd go for a little higher that way if he upgrades to a newer video card in a few months he wont have to worry about the amps and the card not getting enough powah!!!

jUst not over kill :P

lol

I'm on a laptop with Intel centrino 2 dual-core processor P8600 at 2.4 GHz, 6 gigs of ram, 2.5 gigs of VRAM and a geforce 9600M GT.

How well should I be able to run this game? Looking at the recommended CPU, the only thing I lack is a quad core, and my ghz is a little low.

On vista by the way.

I have the same specs on my laptop, except only 4 gigs of RAM (DDR3). The bechmark of the demo gave me 24 fps when I ran it everything on low (or was it very low?) When I run around in the bootcamp with 1280x720, some settings on normal, some on high, the fps is on the verge of being playable. But when I turn everything on low, the fps is still the same :confused: You'd think there was some improvement in the framerate.

I'm a bit iffy about getting this game now; it feels somewhat unoptimized for low- and mid-end computers. Hopefully there will be a patch (or patches) that will make this game playable on less powerfull machines as well. Till then, I'm going to play something else.

Did you try turning down post-processing effects?

Woooo got my copy on sunday :)

Having a couple performance issues though, just general lag and pop-up textures.

The first time i experienced a lot of lag and texture issues was in the harvest red mission.

My specs:

Intel Q6600 @2.4

2GB Corsair XMS 2 low latency (800MHz)

ASUS 260 GTX (overclocked)

ASUS P5Q mobo

Vista 32 bit SP 1

In the harvest red mission i seem to be averaging 22FPS, my settings are generally high - post processing is off and im only running it at 1280 x 1024.

Did you try turning down post-processing effects?

Yep, they're off.

Processor: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor 2.20 GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB

System type: Windows Vista 64 bit SP2

Graphis card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Hard Drive space: 580 GB (not totally sure, but i belive so)

Thanks for the help, the reason I asked this is because I'm waiting for the game to come out in stores (live in the united states) and wanted to know b4 I bought it .

If I need to post anything else just let me know.

i have got

Processor: 7i 965 ex edition watercooled to 5ghz,

12gb of ddr3 ram at 2000mhz,

2 295 geforce in sli

my mobo is P6T Deluxe V2

30ich NEC TFT plus

1 ocz vertex 120gb ssd and 1tb samsung spinpoint F1

System type: Windows Vista 64 bit SP2

Edited by Sharpethunder

I'd go for a little higher that way if he upgrades to a newer video card in a few months he wont have to worry about the amps and the card not getting enough powah!!!

jUst not over kill :P

lol

How about a OCZ StealthXStream 500W ?

i had that psu on my last pc its great for the spec you have. i have now a corsair hx1000 watts look above for new pc spec old below

my old 1 w

amd 6000 x2

4 gb

1 8800 gts

Edited by Sharpethunder

i had that psu on my last pc its great for the spec you have. i have now a corsair hx1000 watts look above for new pc spec old below

my old 1 w

amd 6000 x2

4 gb

1 8800 gts

how's the sound? I mean is it like good psu but loud and annoying or decent?

Also I might upgrade in about a year to another video card will it be enough for a mid range card in about a year?

I've tested ArmA 2 on Windows XP 64-bit, Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit with exactly the same setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 2,33 (@2,8 gHz)

RAM: Kingston DDR2 HyperX PC8500 8 gb

GPU: Radeon HD 4850 512MB

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA2

I don't have any statistics or numbers to back me up but I've got hours of playing. I just want to point out that this is a test with one system so the differences might be driver related but I've used drivers from the same suppliers and most of the times the same version number.

Vista was by far the worst OS for ArmA2. I had to struggle to maintain a decent frame rate even with adequate settings. At start the game ran decently but the longer the mission went the more the performance dropped. I'm no expert but to me it seems like vista has some memory handling problems, at least when you got more than 4gb ram. It kept constantly accessing the hard drive which in combination with arma2 which is a very hard drive dependant game was a disaster.

Windows 7 gave me quite a boost in performance. A 30% performance boost might be somewhere near the truth. It didn't have the performance drop either. I was quite pleased with the stability and performance.

Out of curiosity and other hardware related reasons I went back to Win XP. I wasn't expecting any major changes but I received quite a surprise. The performance boost was just as big as when I switched from vista to win 7. The game runs perfectly on win xp. Even though I don't have any high end system I can run pretty much everything on high/very high.

So my conclusion is quite simple. It doesn't only come to having the right hardware. The OS is just as important. Avoid Vista as much as you can. I just wanna point out that I'm not a vista hater (they're quite common). I actually like many of it's features but it's no good for this game. XP is the superiour choice. No question about it. If you're not willing to live without the nice features of vista then check out win 7. It's still beta but it's free and Arma2 runs way better on it. It's an evaluation copy though you'll be able to use it until march 2010.

OCZ PSUs are good, and 500W should give you more than enough headroom, even for upgrades.

Hi, Im just wondering with my CPU ( here are the specs) 8gb DDR2 Ram,AMD Phenom 9600 2.3GHz Quad-Core Processor and a GeForce 9400 GT 1GB GDDR2 Graphics Card, what kind of FPS am i looking at if i run medieum to high? just wondering as i am awaiting my copy of ArmA2 in the mail!

Well, it depends on what OS you're running. If you're running xp, then probably around a solid 29-35 fps. If you're running vista, then it's a total charlie foxtrot, and you'll be getting some pretty bad fps drops. If you're running W7 then you'll get 23-30 fps. I'm not a total computer genius, and I'm just estimating this from what I experience.

Windows 7 gave me quite a boost in performance. A 30% performance boost might be somewhere near the truth. It didn't have the performance drop either. I was quite pleased with the stability and performance.

So my conclusion is quite simple. It doesn't only come to having the right hardware. The OS is just as important. Avoid Vista as much as you can.

Thanks for the info, man! I didn't know Vista sucked that bad :D I'll give the demo another shot after my laptop receives the free Windows 7 update in October.

i have a duo core processor 1.8 GHz each and a high grade grahpics card with 1 gig of memory. i am ganna put another hardrive into my computer so ill have two and the hardrive has 360 gigs of memory i believe and im also gana put two sticks of memory which make 1 gig, i do believe i have 4 gigs already is there anyway id be able to play:confused:............the reason i cant give you full specs is because i dont have the computer with me

Edited by wizbomb

Hey guys! Thanks for all your support in answering these questions. I now have one of my own: I've got a Geforce GT220, it's an OEM GPU and not very well known, it seems.. It states it at standard: 1G of DDR3 memory.

Here's a link to the GPU's specs: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_220_us.html

According to information on the net, people say this card is likely to takeover the Geforce 9500 series. Could anyone tell me if I'll have problems running A2 with this card? Also if you don't mind, check out my specs in my sig - I'm just wondering how well A2 will run with my PC. Thanks guys!

My conclusion by watching these formus is so far, that the game will probably run best on a WinXP system. But do not take my experience for granted.

and a GeForce 9400 GT 1GB GDDR2 Graphics Card,

The 1gb on that card is just for show, it is way too slow to actually use it. Its about 1/4 as fast as a 9600GT and not meant for gaming at all.

EDIT: You could probably still play on low/very low settings.

Edited by NeMeSiS

System specifications:

CPU: Intel E8500 Dual core 3,16 GHz

RAM: 4GB(some brand)

Graphic card: nVidia GeForce GTX 260 896 MB (dedicated)

Running Arma 2 Demo, Benchmark (mission 03)

Visibility: 2400

All settings: Very High

Average FPS: 25

All settings: High

Average FPS: 29

All settings: Normal

Except Post processing: Low

Average FPS: 36

All settings: Low

Except Shadow Detail: Normal

Average FPS: 39

Yes sometimes the FPS do drop but its momentarily and mostly when flying past buildings very fast with a helicopter.