Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I just purchased a new system and while I'll be waiting for a few days - I was wondering if anyone has a similar setup to which they would be able to tell me what they were able to get their settings to:

CPU: i7 920

Ram: 6GB Triple Channel

Video: GTX 285 1GB

Monitor/Resolution: 24'' 1920x1200 16:10

My hope is that with a view Distance of at least 3000, can have everything on high with a stable 30fps. But... I have my doubts.

@Victor, why did you choose the GTX 285 1GB and not the XFX Ati HD4890 Black Edition 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E?

Look at results: ArmaA2_GPUs

edit: the XFX Ati HD4890 Black Edition 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E is cheaper

Edited by bravo 6
added link

Say wha?

Even with those specs and on normal they only get around 40 FPS max?

This will be improved through patches and tweaking right?

I have an 8800GTX and, while I'm running ArmA2 on moderate settings with a 3k view distance at 35-45FPS, I'd like to know if its advisable to upgrade. If yes, to what exactly? What's going to give me the best bang for my buck and be relatively future-proof? Buying the very top of the line three years ago gave me a lot of time to enjoy games at high settings, but the setup is beginning to lag behind more up to date hardware. Should I hold out for a couple more months to see what happens with the next gen' or should I look for a deal on a 2xx now?

So many considerations!

Can someone put up the spefication directly from the box?

Well, im getting second thoughts about my laptop..i dont think it will play well.

AMD turion 2.1 ghz dual core

ATI Radeon 3200

3gb ram

Vista x86

I would really like to know if i can at least get 20 fps on low settings.

I was playing Arma 1 on very high/high on 1024x600 but post processing and shadow had be off if wanted it to average around 30fps

It says minimum reqs

P4 3.0ghz (i have)

7800gfx card (i have 9600gt)

1.5gb ram (i have 2)

Recomended

Dual or Quad core (i have not)

8800gt or hd4850 card (mine is a bit slower then 880gt)

2gb (i have)

still im hoping to be able to play it by testing out the demo :D

P4 3.0ghz (i have)

7800gfx card (i have 9600gt)

1.5gb ram (i have 2)

You should be fine on normal.

EDIT: maybe some things on high, for example AF.

You should be fine on normal.

EDIT: maybe some things on high, for example AF.

You're kidding. Right? :D

Grab an ATi Radeon HD4890.

Also, you should have posted this in the Arma2 system specs thread instread of creating a new one. :)

Laptops are unupgradable unfornately, the 3200 is not to shabby for a latop and meets recomended specifications for most game but its the processor i wish i could upgrade more than anything

Laptops are unupgradable unfornately, the 3200 is not to shabby for a latop and meets recomended specifications for most game but its the processor i wish i could upgrade more than anything

My post was directed at EightSeven. Looks like when the threads got merged, your post got pushed between his and mine. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

I have the pleasure to inform you that Arma 2 running best with very high option on a laptop as

Asus N51VF

Intel Core 2 Duo P9550, 2.66 GHz, 3MB cache L2, FSB 1066 MHz

4096 MB DDR2 800MHz

15.6'' WXGA HD (1366 x 768) LED - Color Shine

NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M, 1024MB

When I say BEST and VERY HIGH option I mean the gameplay is fast and all graphic are set up at the best level!!

I was uncredulous!

Edited by edworld

I've got a question about my Arma2 graphics performance:

According to the recommended system specs I should be able to run this game pretty well on my rig:

AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor @5 Ghz

3GB system ram

Geforce 9800GT

WinXP

I can run Crysis on high settings whereas I have to turn everything to low in Arma2. (viewdist. 3.6km)

If I play Arma2 on normal or high I get very poor performance (not above 20fps when walking alone in a field)

I play Armed Assault on High settings with a viewdistance of 8+km

Any suggestions?

Edited by robdv19

What spesifications ingame should I run on, for not lagging and so on when I have:

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

A 2.26-7-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8400

4 giggs memory

Its also a notebook/laptop HP HDX 16

Edited by Norwegian

Grab an ATi Radeon HD4890.

Also, you should have posted this in the Arma2 system specs thread instread of creating a new one. :)

My apologies, so many bloody forums and threads around here and simply not enough time to spend looking for the right place to put stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. Been weighing different cards but with the market so convoluted it's difficult to make a concrete decision.

Is there an option I can go with for less then $200? I can spend more if it's more prudent to do so, but I'd like to not break the bank whilst upgrading like I did last time. Like this one, for example?

Edited by EightSeven

Is there an option I can go with for less then $200?

The HD4890 should be available for just under $200. Not sure about current exchange rates, but the online shops in Germany show it at 175-180 Euros. For example here.

It's definitely the best card for you from what I've seen. Performance-wise it's on par with the GTX285 but at less than 2/3 of the price. Best value for money you'll get, in my opinion. :)

The HD4890 should be available for around $200. Not sure about current exchange rates, but the online shops in Germany show it at 175-180 Euros. For example here.

It's definitely the best card for you from what I've seen. Performance-wise it's on par with the GTX285 but at less than 2/3 of the price. Best value for money you'll get, in my opinion. :)

Thank you, sir! I'll place my order for one today.

Thank you, sir! I'll place my order for one today.

I just googled the current exchange rates... looks like the Euro is stronger than I thought... €175 are apparently almost $250. :(

In that case maybe the HD4870 really is the better option. Unless you're prepared to fork out a bit more. :)

I just googled the current exchange rates... looks like the Euro is stronger than I thought... €175 are apparently almost $250. :(

In that case maybe the HD4870 really is the better option. Unless you're prepared to fork out a bit more. :)

Just placed my order for an HD4890 with NCIX.com @ $271.52 shipped express. You do not want to know how much more (how many times more, that is!) I paid for my 8800GTX over three years ago. $271.52 is a bargain.

A little advice for those looking to get a HD4890 based card:

You might look for one with a custom cooler design, as the ATI reference design is known to be one of the loudest cards ever. I'd definiatly suggest to look for reviews of whatever card you intend to buy.

With that in mind I read good reviews of the Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X.

Id like a developer if possible to reply on this question:

You "Unified" the patches to include all languages..

You also set exe triggers to check serial localisation and force default languages that cant be chosen in menu yet. This is really bugging some peeps that cant now play on decent servers with checking on, as nobody is yet using a "across the board" server key for mod enabled language pbo files...

I dont like to pester server admins all the time for a key....

why Unifiy the patches if your going to lock out choice via where you bought your game?

I mean all the strings/tags are there in the pbo, Id like to use it. After following ofp/arma/arma2 for so long cut us some slack please?

Grrrr

@Moosenoodles,

a dev has already answered this question somewhere: it's down to the publishers. BIS have to include the localization check. If they want to remove it, the publisher has to agree.

Just placed my order for an HD4890 with NCIX.com @ $271.52 shipped express. You do not want to know how much more (how many times more, that is!) I paid for my 8800GTX over three years ago. $271.52 is a bargain.

I did the same, I've just baught an 4890 and will give my so good 8800GTX to my brother.

the 8800TX is a graphic card wich will stay in memory. Since more than 2 years I am running all the game full on my 24" screen! (I wouldn't change it if my bro did not play ARMA2..)

Now she will replace the 7600GT of my brother with his 17" screen, she will please another gamer for years! What a card!:ok:

BTW what is the best settings for ATI drivers to run best with ARMA?

@Moosenoodles,

a dev has already answered this question somewhere: it's down to the publishers. BIS have to include the localization check. If they want to remove it, the publisher has to agree.

That is pretty damn harsh... Nice to see its all thrown back on the customer of "well you bought it early you could of waited" charming.

I did the same, I've just baught an 4890 and will give my so good 8800GTX to my brother.

the 8800TX is a graphic card wich will stay in memory. Since more than 2 years I am running all the game full on my 24" screen! (I wouldn't change it if my bro did not play ARMA2..)

Now she will replace the 7600GT of my brother with his 17" screen, she will please another gamer for years! What a card!:ok:

BTW what is the best settings for ATI drivers to run best with ARMA?

Awesome stuff! I hope I can crank the settings, but we'll see!