Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Wowser, this is a long thread, fair play to anybody who still visits it!

I'm getting a new rig, and I pretty much exclusively play Arma 2 CO, and will no doubt pretty much exclusively play Arma 3 later this year.

I need advice on the GPU, GTX Titan 6GB or GTX 690 4GB? I'm assuming (due to SLI limitations, able to use more VRAM on the GPU, etc.) that the Titan will be better, but I've read that generally the 690 is better. Has anybody got any experience of comparing the two?

Budget isn't a major consideration on this front, so it's just a straight shoot out between the two. I appreciate that something like a 680 might be 'enough', I'm really just trying to figure out the absolute best choice.

Rest of the kit will be

- CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 3.60GHz @ 4.50GHz CPU

- Motherboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3

- RAM: TeamGroup Elite 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel

- Cooler: Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom

- Power: Corsair HX850 Professional Series 850W ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold

- Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced

- HDD1: (OS) Corsair F240 SSD 256GB

- HDD2: (Arma) Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB SSD

- Monitor: Samsung P2470HD (just the one)

(- The rest: 1x 3TB HDD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 750GB HDD, Samsung DVD RW, nothing that should affect this - hopefully!)

Any help with the GPU choice would be brilliant, any feedback on the rest also always handy (I've already got the case and the Corsair SSD so if those are terrible, please break it to me gently)

The 690 is not a good choice because of the limited frame buffer (2GB per GPU is not enough these days even for 1080P in some cases).

I'm loving my Titans.

In Crysis 3 I was having serious drops into the high teens FPS wise with 680 SLI and with Titan, that problem is gone.

They really help in min fps (100% faster than 680 SLI and 690 in some cases)

The drivers are still a little fresh but they will only get better.

Only game I have had any trouble with thus far is Sniper Nazi Zombies and that is being addressed.

Hope that helps :D

That's great, thanks BangTail! (Just the one Titan for now for me, spending about a month's wages as it is!)

That's great, thanks BangTail! (Just the one Titan for now for me, spending about a month's wages as it is!)

My pleasure, enjoy :D

Hi my friends, just wanted to give you update on my situations. I finelly got me new system for my computer and can now run Arma 2 + all the exspension using the ACE mod with good grafic. But im having one problem that does not infect gameplay for me other then i cant revert when i die (its a good thing that i can just look at it as something super realistic, cant make 1 mistake).

But the thing i get is " Addon CBA_xeh_oa requires addon "" Ca.Communityconfigurationproject_E "" " , so i guess i have to download that but cant find it anywere, only thing i found was something called " Ca.Communityconfigurationproject " , is it the same though it does not end with the " E "?

Thank you all that helped me get in this amazing simulator, happy weekend!

Edited by PastorJoe

Hmmm, are you just missing CBA ? (Community Base Addons)

Either use this, extract @CBA_CO in your Arma 2: OA folder and add @CBA_CO in you modline, or use ACE preset from six updater (which uses old @CBA, @CBA_A2 and @CBA_OA folders btw) and possibly modline from six launcher

As I'm even aware if ace can start without CBA, maybe the problem is you just tweaked your mod/ace config a bit too much ?

right / optimal choice

GTX Titan / 2x GTX 660 Ti (MSI Twin Frozr III)

GTX Titan:

Speed: 837 MHz / 6008 Mhz

VRAM: 6 GB

Stream Processors: 2688

Texture Units: 224

Bandwidth: 384 bit 288 GB/s

ROPs: 48

Rasterisers: 8

Tesselation Units: 14

Price: 950€

2x GTX 660 Ti:

Speed: 980 Mhz / 6008 MHz

VRAM: 3 GB

Stream Processors: 2688 (2x1344)

Texture Units: 224 (2x112)

Bandwidth: 384 bit 288 GB/s (2x192 GB/s 2x144 GB/s)

ROPs: 48 (2x24)

Rasterisers: 8 (2x4)

Tesselation Units: 14 (2x7)

Price: 620€

860 Watt Corsair AX860i (6x6+2 PINs)

CoolerMaster HAF XM (1x200 mm front, 1x200 mm side + 2x200 mm upper cover)

i5-760 4x2.8 GHz @ 4x4.066 GHz

Asus Maximus III Formula (both PCI-Express slots with 2 slots between them + both cards are 2 slots variants)

I don't care about space/heat/power consumption generated by SLi, because it's possible to save an extra of 330€ + 980 Mhz speed instead of paying 950€ for 837 Mhz speed.

Just tell me if ArmA 2 OA/CO would benefit from those 2x GTX 660 Ti to give similar/equal/higher performance to/than GTX Titan.

Edited by Groove_C

Hmmm, are you just missing CBA ? (Community Base Addons)

Either use this, extract @CBA_CO in your Arma 2: OA folder and add @CBA_CO in you modline, or use ACE preset from six updater (which uses old @CBA, @CBA_A2 and @CBA_OA folders btw) and possibly modline from six launcher

As I'm even aware if ace can start without CBA, maybe the problem is you just tweaked your mod/ace config a bit too much ?

Yes that might be, i bought the Arma Collection when it was on discount on Steam few days ago , might that matter what mods i use? I got an help from a guy from some arma forum and he adviced me to get " @Ace, @Acex , @acex_usnavy , @Cba , @Cba_a2, @cba_Co , @Cba_AO , @jsrs , @jsrs_ace , @jsrs_acr " , when all i wanted was Ace since im not very good at computers but love gaming so dont want to have it all too complicaded. Did he advice me too get something i dont need?

Since im not ready for multiplayer yet, want to finish the singleplayer missions and all campaigns first to learn better on the simulator before i get the mods i need for multiplayer. What mods do i need if you would be so nice to have just the Ace mod? What does this AceX do, is it sound?

Thank you for your help friend.

@PastorJoe: To run ACE alls you need is Ace/AceX and cba_Co. AceX actually may not even be required (ask in their thread) but it does add many of their modded units/items etc..The rest of the Ace stuff ie Navy/AceSm etc is optional.

@PastorJoe: To run ACE alls you need is Ace/AceX and cba_Co. AceX actually may not even be required (ask in their thread) but it does add many of their modded units/items etc..The rest of the Ace stuff ie Navy/AceSm etc is optional.

cba_Co even if i dont have the combined operation? or is it called CO even though i have arma 2 and arrowhead seperatly?

I bought this one if it helps http://store.steampowered.com/sub/25815/

Edited by PastorJoe

right / optimal choice

GTX Titan / 2x GTX 660 Ti (MSI Twin Frozr III)

GTX Titan:

Speed: 837 MHz / 6008 Mhz

VRAM: 6 GB

Stream Processors: 2688

Texture Units: 224

Bandwidth: 384 bit 288 GB/s

ROPs: 48

Rasterisers: 8

Tesselation Units: 14

Price: 950€

2x GTX 660 Ti:

Speed: 980 Mhz / 6008 MHz

VRAM: 3 GB

Stream Processors: 2688 (2x1344)

Texture Units: 224 (2x112)

Bandwidth: 384 bit 288 GB/s (2x192 GB/s 2x144 GB/s)

ROPs: 48 (2x24)

Rasterisers: 8 (2x4)

Tesselation Units: 14 (2x7)

Price: 620€

860 Watt Corsair AX860i (6x6+2 PINs)

CoolerMaster HAF XM (1x200 mm front, 1x200 mm side + 2x200 mm upper cover)

i5-760 4x2.8 GHz @ 4x4.066 GHz

Asus Maximus III Formula (both PCI-Express slots with 2 slots between them + both cards are 2 slots variants)

I don't care about space/heat/power consumption generated by SLi, because it's possible to save an extra of 330€ + 980 Mhz speed instead of paying 950€ for 837 Mhz speed.

Just tell me if ArmA 2 OA/CO would benefit from those 2x GTX 660 Ti to give similar/equal/higher performance to/than GTX Titan.

Titan and 660Ti SLi are close in 3DMark but I would definitely go for the Titan given there is little difference, the Titan is newer, and has the major advantage of 6GB of VRAM.

The obvious difference here is the price and if that is a major consideration for you, the 660Ti SLI is definitely the way to go (and it frees up money for an SSD or some other component(s) you may want.

TBH, either way is win/win but why have 2 cards when you can have 1 that performs at roughly the same level and has significantly more VRAM (and that is only going to improve as the drivers mature).

I couldn't find 660Ti SLi vs Titan for A3 but as you can see in the graph below, 660Ti SLi and Titan are very close (660Ti SLi is a little faster but I don't think that will change much in games - a frame here or there perhaps).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_titan_3_way_sli_review,15.html

Keep in mind as well that the Titan routinely pushes 980Mhz and beyond by way of Speedboost.

For example, I just ran the 'Valley' Benchmark and my cards were at 993Mhz.

Edited by BangTail

@PastorJoe you do have combined operations as you bought the complete collection, CO refers to the bundle of Arma 2 + Operation arrowhead.

I think Ace messes up with the vanilla singleplayer campaign so I'd suggest you don't use it if you want to play SP

How did you download the mods ? Six updater ?

How do you launch the game ? Can you provide your complete modline (it's the parameter given to the program in the game shortcut or steam additional parameters, such as "Arma2OA.exe [...] -mod=ACE;CBA_CO;[...]"

@PastorJoe you do have combined operations as you bought the complete collection, CO refers to the bundle of Arma 2 + Operation arrowhead.

I think Ace messes up with the vanilla singleplayer campaign so I'd suggest you don't use it if you want to play SP

How did you download the mods ? Six updater ?

How do you launch the game ? Can you provide your complete modline (it's the parameter given to the program in the game shortcut or steam additional parameters, such as "Arma2OA.exe [...] -mod=ACE;CBA_CO;[...]"

Hello friend, i finally got it right last night, at leased got the "cant revert" problem out. I got it good when i disabled something called " Community base addons:CO (a2/Oa) " so now i have in the right side of the main menu windows in white/gray letters @Cba , @Cba_oa, @Cba_a2, @Ace, @AceX, @AceX_usnavy, @ Acex_RU and @AceX_sm, and my codeliner is like this " -mod=@cba;@cba_oa;@cba_a2;@ace;@acex;@acex_usnavy;@acex_ru;@acex_sm " .

When i have this Community base addons:CO (a2/Oa) enible i have a Red/blue and 1 other color big CBA were the expansions i have in the bottom left corner and when i disable it it was not there, did i do something wrong or is this something i dont need since i have all the other mods? Becauce everything seems right and when i start a singleplayer operation i see when its loading in the middle of the screen " Advanced combat enviroment.

I got advice from a man on a forum to get something called Armarize to get mods, i used that. Thank you for answear all my questions!

Specs-

CPU---Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

GPU---EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P4-2652-KR GeForce GTX 650 1GB

Motherboard---ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM----8GB of Corsair Vengeance

PSU---CORSAIR CX600M 600W ATX

Case---COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel

OS--- Windows 7 Home Premium

At what video settings could this setup get and at what average FPS?

Another cheaper build---

Specs-

CPU---Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz

GPU---XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit

Motherboard---ASUS P8B75-M LX PLUS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s

PSU---Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C

RAM---Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

At what video settings could this setup get and at what average FPS?

Hello friend, i finally got it right last night, at leased got the "cant revert" problem out. I got it good when i disabled something called " Community base addons:CO (a2/Oa) " so now i have in the right side of the main menu windows in white/gray letters @Cba , @Cba_oa, @Cba_a2, @Ace, @AceX, @AceX_usnavy, @ Acex_RU and @AceX_sm, and my codeliner is like this " -mod=@cba;@cba_oa;@cba_a2;@ace;@acex;@acex_usnavy;@acex_ru;@acex_sm " .

When i have this Community base addons:CO (a2/Oa) enible i have a Red/blue and 1 other color big CBA were the expansions i have in the bottom left corner and when i disable it it was not there, did i do something wrong or is this something i dont need since i have all the other mods? Becauce everything seems right and when i start a singleplayer operation i see when its loading in the middle of the screen " Advanced combat enviroment.

I got advice from a man on a forum to get something called Armarize to get mods, i used that. Thank you for answear all my questions!

I haven't tried Armarize but i use withSIX when dealing with mods.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

No need for a Titan when ARMA is much cpu dependable.

I finally bought an ASUS GTX Titan.

Mine is capable of 1006 MHz @ 1.149 V.

But I'm facing a real problem as for me. My Titan rarely boosts, because ArmA rarely puts it under heavy load. And this results in having only 836 MHz @ 1.000 V.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Groove_C

There are several modded BIOS/s that I believe stop it from auto downclocking (among other things)

You can trawl through this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1363440/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-owners-club

As other people said in that thread, this will be fixed by Nvidia at some point - I wouldn't recommend a user made BIOS on your $1000.00 video card and I certainly would not do it myself.

I honestly don't find it a problem in A2, mine are almost always @ 993 but in A3, the drivers need work (which Nvidia have acknowledged and say they will discuss optimizations with BIS).

Edited by BangTail

hey, obviously im brand new here and just need advice, i might be getting a new computer as my laptop is choppy when running Arma 2 (ill edit in the specs when i get home for my laptop) and was just wondering if these specs are good enough to run it lag free and smoothly

Laptop specs:

(Will edit them in soon)

New computer specs are:

AMD ATHLON II X4 640 3Ghz Quad Core Processor / CPU

8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

AMD / ATi HD6670 Graphics Card With 2GB Dedicated DDR3 Graphics Memory

1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

MSI 760GM-P21-(FX) uATX Motherboard

Price: £300

EDIT:

i have now also found another computer and was wondering which would be the best for the price

Second computer specs;

AMD (Trinity) A10-5800K Black Edition 3.80GHz (4.20GHz Turbo Speed) Quad-Core Processor

AMD Radeon HD 7660D GDDR3 512MB DirectX 11 Graphics

8GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 (2x4096MB) Dual-Channel Memory (16GB Supported)

500GB Hitachi SATA Hard Drive - OS, Applications & Storage

GIGABYTE AMD A55 Express Chipset Motherboard

500W Cooler Master Elite Power Supply

AMD CPU Cooler

Price: £350

also which OS would be the best to use (as i can get any)

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYSSS :D

Edited by hahahaollie

What's goin' on, fellas. First off I wanna say that this is a nice forum - very open, very helpful, and very cool. :)

Secondly, I wanna say that I'm relatively new to PC gaming. I've dabbled a few times with the Dawn of War series and the Diablo series, but nothing beyond that. Of course they're not too demanding. Now, ArmA, on the other hand, seems to be a CPU heavy game. So I've taken the liberty of picking out two laptops that are suitable for my lifestyle - budget wise, mobility, etc.

First up (my second favorite):

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230416

HDD: 750 GB;

RAM: 8 GB DDR3;

CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz, and with what seems to be no overclock capabilities;

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M, dedicated, with 1 GB of Video Memory;

Second up (my favorite):

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230976

HDD: 750GB;

RAM: 8 GB, DDR3;

CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2GHz, 6MB L3 Cache Max Turbo Frequency 3.1 GHz;

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M, dedicated, with 1 GB of Video Memory;

My questions: They seem to be comparable, but what has me worried is the i5 vs the i7 and the voltage of each. How important is the voltage? Are the models able to meet ArmA's processing demands? For the second laptop, is it advisable to overclock it to, perhaps, 2.5 or a comfortable range around there?

Thanks for taking the time,

~Akratic.

okay how well will this do in arma 2 and 3? :)

Processor (CPU): INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K (Quad Core)

STANDARD CLOCK SPEED = 3.4Ghz Per Core

OVERCLOCKED SPEED = 4.4Ghz* Per Core

*4.4Ghz Is The Maximum OC We Can Achieve, Not All CPUS Will Overclock The Same, So This Is An Approximate Figure & May Be 4.2Ghz-4.4Ghz

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-K With NEW Z87 Chipset

2xPCI-E (16x Inc 1xPCI-E 3.0/2.0), 2xPCI(1x) & 3xPCI & 32GB RAM Support

Memory: PATRIOT VIPER V3 RED 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz - Performance/Gaming RAM

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA3 - 6Gb/s 7200RPM & 32MB Cache

Optical Drive: SONY 24XDVD+/-RW Dual Layer & Dual Format

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 7770 1024MB Direct X11.0 & Pixel Shader 5.0

Complete with VGA, DVI & HDMI Ports

Case: COOLERMASTER K350 Black Case With 12CM Fan

Comes With A Clear Side Panel & Front Mounted USB3

650W Power Supply Unit

Connections: 8 x USB2.0 Inc 2 USB3.0, Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 & 7.1 HD Audio

2 x PS/2 Ports, VGA, DVI & HDMI Outputs

I was wondering as well. I have:

A10-5800K proc

AMD radeon 6670 (dual graphics enabled)

patriot viper 3 8GB ddr3-1600 RAM

MSI Fm2-A75MA-E35 mobo

Windows 7

1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

And I have, in the bios, set my PC to allocate 2GB of my RAM to my integrated graphics. So essentially I have crossfired 6670s with 2gb VRAM

Edited by InsaneGent
forgot HDD

@killerboynathan - you should have 120 fps on Utes with 20 cars on map at minimum i think

your set looks for me very very strong and good for large battles on Chernarus or even Taviana

Does anyone have experience with the Gigabyte 3GB 7950 Boost (GV-R795WF3-3GD)? Is it really as quiet and cool under full load as the mfg claims? (I tend to take online reviews with a hefty pinch of salt).

I need a graphics card for my new 17-3770K system; Gigabyte is a preferred choice because in case of problems they have a base in the UK.

TIA

Orc

Edit: NVM. I managed to 'hear' one in action under load & was really impressed. The system had ATItray installed & the temps looked good (card was not overclocked).

Also like the power-saving features of this generation of AMD GPUs. My new card arrives today :)

Edited by Orcinus
sorted :)

I want to upgrade so i can play ARMA2 but i don't really want to change mother board if i can help it. So that leaves the CPU and a graphics card. I have the following board H-I41-uATX (Eton) and its in this system HP slimline s5770uk-m. Can some body recommend the best i can go with this board. I was looking at the following-

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 - 2.8 GHz Dual-Core (AT80571PH0723M) Processor

Asus Radeon HD6670 2GB DDR3 or Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1024MB Low Profile Graphics Card PCI-E

thanks

Edited by deanno

what cpu is in it now? if it's already a dualcore there's not much point in upgrading it I think.

That gpu isn't very powerful but should run it fine at lower settings/resolutions. probably not going to find much faster cards that are low profile.