Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I wondered, what does TI stands for, and why would there be 2 versions of 560?

Titanium or something even more meaningless. Nvidia will probably sell them at a higher price than 460's to people who confuse them for Ti's

any planned differences? It is the first time i've heard of 560 without the TI being planned

Much better :). It's a quad core (i.e. it has two extra cores) and overclocks nicely if you're interested in that.

As for the GPU I would recommend you pay (roughly) £30 more and get a gtx 460 1GB, it's significantly faster, or even better a HD 6870 (for slightly more).

Does GPU means Graphic Card? If so they have a card like this:

Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0, "Golden Sample - GS", GDDR5, DVI, native-HDMI, 700MHz

Is that good?

GPU - graphics processing unit

Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0, "Golden Sample - GS", GDDR5, DVI, native-HDMI, 700MHz

Is that good?

yes, it is

Ok but is it really neccesary to choose a different DDR3?

DDR3 has a superior band-width and that can make a performance difference, but the difference in everyday tasks and gaming isn't massive. DDR3 is really quite cheap now anyway, I remember a couple of years ago it was ridicolously expensive, so I would with DDR3.

Is that good?

As PuFu says GPU is a graphical processing unit (which is the processing chip on the graphics card which does most of the work) but many people just use GPU as a shortened way of saying graphics card.

As for the Gainward GTX460 GS, that is one of the cards I am using and I am perfectly happy with it.

@PuFu the gtx560 is a stripped down, slower (and cheaper) version of the gtx 560ti, have a look at this .

:)

Edited by SW1

Just get ddr3 that's on the QVL of the mobo manufacturer if you want to be sure.

I'd just buy a 2x2GB (so that's 4 GB) kingston valueram 1333. Or a 2x4GB kit if you have more to spend. The valueram is reliable and you dont really notice faster ram anyway unless you want to shave 0.05 sec off your superpi time.

kingston valueram is the most common ram and very reliable, and I wouln't be surprised if it runs at 1600 speeds as wel (with proper timings of course).

If you are not an overclocker you will never run 1600 speeds as you have to set the speeds in the bios and intel deems 1333 the highest standard.

Ok, so would this be a pretty good PC to run ArmA 2?

Intel Coreâ„¢ i5 Quad Processor i5-760 Quad Core, 2.80Ghz, Socket 1156, 8MB, 95W

Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB, CL9Kit w/two matched ValueRAM 2GB DDR3

When someone have answered if that is a good PC, then I will know what to look for/buy.

i found the following:

1. Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) at 163£
  2. Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) (Socket LGA1155) at 162£
  3. Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) (Socket LGA1155) at 174£

Now, since the price differences are this small, why would you buy the 760 over the 2500? Prices for the MainBoards are similar. The performance differences are NOT small at all

Ok, so would this be a pretty good PC to run ArmA 2?

Intel Coreâ„¢ i5 Quad Processor i5-760 Quad Core, 2.80Ghz, Socket 1156, 8MB, 95W

Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB, CL9Kit w/two matched ValueRAM 2GB DDR3

When someone have answered if that is a good PC, then I will know what to look for/buy.

Yeah that's pretty good :) It should play A2 on high smoothly and (not making any gurantees) should manage ~30-35 fps on very high at 1920x1080, which is certainly playable.

However you really should consider going with the similarly priced i5 2500k, it is also a quad core yet it's architecture is far superior and for roughly the same price it will beat the i5 760 into the floor. Admittedly the motherboards for 1155 are generally more expensive, yet the performance difference is huge.

EDIT: Also the i5 2500k is a great overclocker, you can break 4ghz on the stock cooler without any trouble and with a good aftermarket HSF you can easily get 4.7 or 4.8 ghz as an everyday overclock.

Edited by SW1

You don't need it anymore - A2 defaults to 4 cores but the command is -cpucount=x (where x is the number of cores).

Has anyone else found lower performance with patch 1.59?

-cpucount=6 -exthreads=7 used to give me a big performance boost, but I don't think it works for me anymore :(

you make sure that ATOC setting in your cfg is set to 0?

BIS implemented it in the last page that effects vegetation with AA turned on. Even if you do not use AA, you may want to still change it.

Thanks I'll try that later and post the result

Thanks for the tip, although performance isn't as good as before, that gave me an extra 5fps.

Edited by SW1

Hi all,

Time for me to upgrade as well, my current specs are pretty low (amd 3500+) si I never even tried Arma II on it. I should probably wait a little for Arma III to be released but hell, I'm sick of waiting, and there are a lot of great games out there to play with.

I've got the case but I'm gonna change pretty much anything inside :

* CPU : Intel Core i7 2600K (3.4 GHz) - Quad Core Socket 1155 Cache L3 8 Mo Intel

* CPU fan : Zalman CNPS10X Performa (pour socket Intel 1155/1156/1366/775 & AMD AM3/AM2+/AM2/940/939/754)

* MOBO : ASUS P8P67 PRO (Intel P67 Express Revision B3)

* HD : Corsair Vengeance Series 8 Go (kit 2x 4 Go) DDR3-SDRAM PC14900 CL9

* GPU : ZOTAC GeForce GTX560 Ti 1GB - 1024 Mo Dual DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort

* HD : Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo Serial ATA 6Gb/s

* POWER : Antec TruePower New 650

Without windows I'm gonna be a tad under 1000 euros wish is my budget limit.

I guess this will run Arma II fine but I'm a little worried about components compatibility,

and I'd like to know if socket 1155 is gonna last several more years so I can replace the CPU if needed.

Thanks !

Hi guys,

Post number two!

After having made my first post this morning to find out whether Arma 2 will run well on my new HP ENVY 17 Laptop, I was told by Zipper 5 that my "CPU is far too slow. The game will probably run, but it won't run very well".

However, after visiting www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ as advised at the beginning of this thread, it tells me that my system meets not only the minimum, but also the recommended requirements... See below:

ArmaPerf.png

Could someone please clear this up for me, as I'm not a computer expert and this is really confusing?

I'd rather be as sure as I can be before I install either the demo or the full version...

Also, is it best to buy and run from disc or buy and run as a direct download?

Many Thanks!

Should be fine tbh.

Edited by BangTail

I can see why Zipper5 said that, 1.6Ghz is a low frequency when gaming, but the i7 q720 has four cores, eight threads and can reach 2.8Ghz on Turbo Boost, so it should be fine. :)

Thanks guys, I pretty much figured that out while searching the internet.

I thought I'd download the Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead Demo, as per the next recommended step at the beginning of this thread.

Installation took a fair while because of my appauling internet connection here

However, after extracting and installing the setup file, I get the following message when attempting to run the game I get the following error...

ArmaErr.jpg

I have found some info on how to fix this, so will update this if I'm successful!

Apologies if this isn't quite the right place to post this, but it pretty much follows on from my last question.

Thanks!

Edited by Creampie

I'd post something like that in the troubleshooting section. But it's probably something directx related. Try updating the dx9 parts on the system. You can probably find it on the microsoft site eventually.

Hey everybody,

I just got a new laptop and was wondering how well, if at all, it could run ArmA 2: CO (before I go through installing it and everything).

Here are the Specs:

* Inspiron 15 Notebook

* 2nd generation Intel Core i5 processor @2.30 GHz with turbo boost up to 2.90 GHz

* 4gb DDR3

* Intel HD Graphics/HD Graphics 3000 with 1.6GB Video Memory

* Windows 7 64bit

I'm thinking the biggest problem would be graphics but If any of you techies could let me know I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nightrain

Edited by Nightrain

Yup Vcard is awful (sorry, no other way to say it)

You might be ok at a very low res.

Edited by BangTail

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the clarification :)