Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

Truly Realistic Sound

All I know is that if that godforsaken PK sound (phutphutphut) makes it in, I will probably have a cerebrovascular event.

After i thought about it, i kind of wonde from where BIS is getting those sounds.... they CAN'T be captured from REAL Videos as even the crappiest Youtube Video sounds better than the Arma1 sounds...

Are there companies out there which sells such sounds? Or do you think they are completely synthetically made?

Anyway, with the confirmed features modder will be able to make a "truly realistic sound" for Arma2.

I already saved around 10GB in HQ Videos since beginning of the year to make a soundmod that sounds really "real".

Actually i wanted to make a ACE-Mod Addon/Soundmod out of it, but i don't know if i'm ready before Arma2 arrives. tounge2.gif

Youtube recordings are mostly no reference at all for real weapon sounds.

The equipment needed to record sounds properly is not integrated in video-cams, therefore such videos do not reflect the real sound.

Even live-recorded weapons on ranges have to be edited after recording as the typical sound of the range does not reflect reallife sound in open or confined spaces.

There are companies that sell soundsets, but for professional use they are quite expensive and sometimes the sounds do not fit to each other, so in the end the result sounds odd.

Read about weapon sound recording

here.

Forget YouTube.

Bla Bla... i bet you will tell (me) that story over and over again...forever... tounge2.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Yes im aware about all that, trust me.

I even represent the opinion, that we will NEVER have 100% real sounds or a 100% real-view in any Video game in the next 50 years. Its simply to cost-ineffective (Hardware and Software wise).

So From me Again about Arma1 (and 2):

For the sole purpose of a game and especially to replace its ultra-crappy default sounds, video-recorded sounds (if the source was not a compact camera/cellphone) are better than nothing and doing their job quite well, like you can undoubtedly hear at the most already released soundmods for Arma1.

Especially if the current engine only supports ONE sound per units/weapon and not a couple like in its next announced update (aka Arma2).

Quote[/b] ]Bla Bla... i bet you will tell (me) that story over and over again...forever... tounge2.gificon_rolleyes.gif

No, it´s waste of time if you are too narrow-minded to get it.

It´s just to clarify for anyone else that reads your nonsense that there´s more than picking a sound from youtube (with the accompaniing copyright infringements) and whoopididoo have a new soundmod.

If you don´t get that sounds need good quality AND consistance with the other sounds embedded you´re debating outside your knowledge compartement. Period.

Quote[/b] ] like you can undoubtedly hear at the most already released soundmods for Arma1.

Most of them use weapon sounds from other games, not YouTube videos.

The Devs have already made clear that there will be new sounds for Arma 2 and I don´t think BIS will take YouTube sounds for Arma 2. It´s a bit more complex than that.

Problem with most soundmods is that they sound wrong in different areas. While a gunsound may sound supadupa in urban surrounding it may sound totally off in woods or open areas.

That´s where most of the user-made addons fail. As I already mentioned those sounds are partly taken from other games which is illegal for a software developer like BIS and therefore out of question, not even mentioning that the different sounds in mods most of the times do not fit together very good.

There are exceptions to the rule, e.g. Goeth´s soundwork, but he will be certainly able to tell you how much work it is to get something like that going in a serious way.

I guess you should come down from your high horse and for once accept that you are basically following the wrong path by principle if you seriously think that YouTube is a soundsource for a professional game designer.

I would say that there are some sounds that are not present on ARMA I and I would like to hear in ARMA II:

- The distinctive sound of subsonic bullets when pass close overhead. This video records what is it like This

- Falling trees

- Crushing vegetation (bushes, etc...)

By the way... the best firefight sounds I ever hear are those of the movie HEAT dont know if they are realisitc but its the best I know having heard hunting riffles.

Balschoiw, Youtube clips may not be perfect, But the few sounds I have heard IRL of Arma sounds, the youtube ones have sounded much more like the real thing than the standard Arma one. That is my experience.

Ofcourse, the quality of clips will differ.

I guess there is little to worry about as they already stated that no sound from Arma will be in Arma II. If you look at the trailers there are some new sounds already. The AK now really sounds solid and real.

The problem with YouTube sounds is the equipment used to record and the missing "synthesis" of sounds. The sounds are recorded in an environment and are fixed to that environment sound-wise. Creating a sound that has it´s postprocessing done by an audio-engine are totally different to situational recorded sounds. It´s a technical matter of sound production. Arma 2 on the paper has a new approach to sounds and i hope that they try hard this time. For OFP it was ok, FDF showed what it can be like, with Arma BIS made no progress but I guess now they have put real effort into it as you can hear already with some new sounds. The old sounds sound like a fart today, nothing to discuss here. There is a trailer where a soldier fires an AK and from my personal perspective it definately sounds like the real thing.