Sign in to follow this  
Jman1000

Need to find patches for these glitches

1) When my character goes into the water, he starts screaming and when he emerges (assuming he doesn't die), he's cut up. So either the water is filled with razor blades or there's a major bug I forgot to patch.

2) Bullets don't splash when they hit the water.

3) My character gets mysteriously trapped by objects in buildings.

4) My character hobbles slowly when holding a rocket launcher.

5) My character moves slowly when not holding a gun (or when a prisoner).

6) In Escape from Prison, sometimes I can't enter the helicopter.

7) I can't find a hotkey for Eject.

8) Enemy guards are apparently telepathic and even if I shoot them out of sight of their base with a silenced gun, the alarm goes off in seconds.

9) If I'm right next to an enemy and run out of ammo I can't seem to kick, punch, or pistol whip the enemy.

10) My character can't seem to hop fences when it's too far to run around.

11) My character doesn't put his rifle back in his hand after he climbs up a ladder.

12) Speaking of which, he climbs like a grandma.

13) The airplanes mysteriously sink while flying and don't gain altitude without permanently losing speed.

14) I can't bum rounds off my buddies when I run out.

15) Sometimes I'll give the command to shoot a particular object or enemy and my subordinate will just stand there looking clueless even though his target is right in sight.

16) I can't order the A-10 to strafe and if he runs out of Mavericks he just orbits the scene uselessly.

17) I can't get the BRDM's blast shields to shut.

18) I can't shoot out the window when I'm a passenger.

19) I can't get the commander's cupola in a tank to rotate without switching to 3rd person view.

20) In Guardian, sometimes the trucks randomly turn toward buildings and just stop dead in their tracks.

21) My men have been known to be trapped in someone's backyard and I had to physically push them out one by one.

22) Sometimes the contextual action menu jumps and lurches and I can't zero in on an action. These are actions that in real life require only broad movements and not fine, finnicky masturbation and yet in order to do these basic things in the game such as grab a dead man's weapon or hop in a vehicle I must tweak around with a crappy interface.

23) My character sticks to cliff faces like Spiderman.

24) I can't peer around corners.

25) Enemies magically know that a T-80 tank rolling by has one American soldier inside and not 3 Russians.

26) The LST won't move.

27) If I try and land a helo on the LST, when I get out, I fall through its deck.

28) If I'm the 5th passenger in a SCUD the vehicle becomes invisible.

29) I can't steer my parachute.

30) I can't pick which seat I want to sit in as passenger.

31) If I bump a helicopter at low speeds into a tree, I die.

32) Sometimes tanks magically know I am right in their blind spot even if they never saw me coming.

33) I cannot throw my satchel charges.

34) Nor can I wedge them between the turret and body of a moving tank so I can let it get some distance from me before I vaporize it.

35) I can't find the hotkey for planting or detonating said charges.

36) I can't switch places on a boat without drowning.

37) Boats move on land.

38) I can't find a way to sit in the copilot's seat of the Chinook.

39) In the editor, I can't find a way to make someone wait X number of minutes before moving on to the next waypoint.

40) There's no wound direction finder so you can know what side of your body is being hit with bullets. This is pretty important when your headphones don't give you much info.

Many of these are serious bugs and I've died as a result of the majority of them. So there must be patches for them. Anyone?

There are some mods that add things like swimming, change launcher holding animations and fix alot of mentioned things.

But it's a hellovalot of mods and I don't play OFP anymore (Moved onto ArmA) so I'll just recommend mods like WGL and FFUR.

1) When my character goes into the water, he starts screaming and when he emerges (assuming he doesn't die), he's cut up. So either the water is filled with razor blades or there's a major bug I forgot to patch.

This is a feature, not a bug. Units take damage when underwater, that's logical right? The problem is that you can't take damage without the wound textures popping up, and that's why they're cut up when they come out.

Quote[/b] ]

Don't know, they do for me. It's a very small effect though. Do you have Resistance?

Quote[/b] ]

3) My character gets mysteriously trapped by objects in buildings.

Yes, this is a common bug and pretty much part of the engine. This ain't no CQB simulator.

Quote[/b] ]

4) My character hobbles slowly when holding a rocket launcher.

You mean the anims? This can be fixed with 3rd party anims, as Blazin mentioned. Apart from that, no can do.

Quote[/b] ]

5) My character moves slowly when not holding a gun (or when a prisoner).

Yes, the default movement in civilian anims is walking. Press shift+forward or E (I think that's the default) to run.

Quote[/b] ]

6) In Escape from Prison, sometimes I can't enter the helicopter.

Either the helicopter is locked (though if you sometimes can enter it, that'd suggest it's not) or you're trying from the wrong side. Helis are pretty picky on where you go in from.

Quote[/b] ]

7) I can't find a hotkey for Eject.

There is no such thing. It's always the last one in the action menu though, so a violent rolling down of the mouse wheel should do the trick.

Quote[/b] ]

8) Enemy guards are apparently telepathic and even if I shoot them out of sight of their base with a silenced gun, the alarm goes off in seconds.

Correct. If one uses a "x detected by y" trigger for alarms going off, this happens. The mission maker can use more complicated scripts for greater realism.

Quote[/b] ]

9) If I'm right next to an enemy and run out of ammo I can't seem to kick, punch, or pistol whip the enemy.

True. A quite unpractical way of doing melee when out of ammo can be added by the editor simply by giving him the "weapon" "StrokeGun" with which he can hit enemies with the rifle butt. There's also melee scripts around, though by a thumb rule, the better it works, the more it lags.

Quote[/b] ]10) My character can't seem to hop fences when it's too far to run around.

True. Often you can sprint directly towards the fence and get through though. It is also possible to do a jumping script, but the problem with such is that it takes space from the action menu.

Quote[/b] ]11) My character doesn't put his rifle back in his hand after he climbs up a ladder.

Correct. Press Q when exiting ladder to get your rifle back in hand with less hassle than the action menu.

Quote[/b] ]12) Speaking of which, he climbs like a grandma.

True.

Quote[/b] ]13) The airplanes mysteriously sink while flying and don't gain altitude without permanently losing speed.

You're propably trying to gain too much altitude at time and the plane stalls. I won't say much though, OFP planes are something I avoid like the plague.

Quote[/b] ]14) I can't bum rounds off my buddies when I run out.

True. This is possible in some mods though, but not vanilla.

Quote[/b] ]15) Sometimes I'll give the command to shoot a particular object or enemy and my subordinate will just stand there looking clueless even though his target is right in sight.

Don't expect too much from the AI. They're morons.

Quote[/b] ]16) I can't order the A-10 to strafe and if he runs out of Mavericks he just orbits the scene uselessly.

See above. Planes work best when forced to do so by scripts.

Quote[/b] ]17) I can't get the BRDM's blast shields to shut.

There's not much you can do with the default vehicles, at least on the eye candy part.

Quote[/b] ]18) I can't shoot out the window when I'm a passenger.

True. This can somewhat be solved by modding and scripting, but not very well.

Quote[/b] ]19) I can't get the commander's cupola in a tank to rotate without switching to 3rd person view.

Press V (I think that's the default for ironsights)

Quote[/b] ]20) In Guardian, sometimes the trucks randomly turn toward buildings and just stop dead in their tracks.

Years since I played the official campaigns, so can't say much about that particular mission. AI drivers tend to drive like drunks though.

Quote[/b] ]21) My men have been known to be trapped in someone's backyard and I had to physically push them out one by one.

See my rants about AI above. This is especially true when speaking of objects.

Quote[/b] ]22) Sometimes the contextual action menu jumps and lurches and I can't zero in on an action. These are actions that in real life require only broad movements and not fine, finnicky masturbation and yet in order to do these basic things in the game such as grab a dead man's weapon or hop in a vehicle I must tweak around with a crappy interface.

Not much you can do, except for a new mouse. I have that problem with some of my mouses too, especially older ones.

Quote[/b] ]23) My character sticks to cliff faces like Spiderman.

So he does. This is to allow climbing, I guess.

Quote[/b] ]24) I can't peer around corners.

True. There are mods that allow you to do it though, as well as roll sideways on the ground and other CQB movements.

Quote[/b] ]25) Enemies magically know that a T-80 tank rolling by has one American soldier inside and not 3 Russians.

Yes they do. This can be somewhat solved via scripting.

Quote[/b] ]26) The LST won't move.

It's not supposed to, either. It's more of a background object for cinematics than anything else.

Quote[/b] ]27) If I try and land a helo on the LST, when I get out, I fall through its deck.

See above.

Quote[/b] ]28) If I'm the 5th passenger in a SCUD the vehicle becomes invisible.

Wow, never noticed that one! Gotta check if it's still in the latest version, whatever it is.

Quote[/b] ]29) I can't steer my parachute.

You can't do much to steer it, as it's of the old round type which are supposed to slow one's descent, nothing else. You can turn it around by moving your mouse to the extreme left or right sides of the screen. It'll still move according to the wind, though. There are addons out there which have square parachutes, that is, the steering type. HALO jumpers too.

Quote[/b] ]30) I can't pick which seat I want to sit in as passenger.

True. They're filled in an order defined by the creator, on a first come first served basis. So if you want to see where you're going in a truck, be quick.

Quote[/b] ]31) If I bump a helicopter at low speeds into a tree, I die.

Yep. Helicopters like exploding.

Quote[/b] ]32) Sometimes tanks magically know I am right in their blind spot even if they never saw me coming.

Yep, that's the AI.

Quote[/b] ]33) I cannot throw my satchel charges.

True. Their point is to be placed into a location (or in some mods, a vehicle) to be detonated.

Quote[/b] ]34) Nor can I wedge them between the turret and body of a moving tank so I can let it get some distance from me before I vaporize it.

True. Some mods, at least FDF, allow satchels to be placed onto vehicles though.

Quote[/b] ]35) I can't find the hotkey for planting or detonating said charges.

There is none.

Quote[/b] ]36) I can't switch places on a boat without drowning.

Correctomundo. Some addon boats allow this though as long as the boat is halted.

Quote[/b] ]37) Boats move on land.

True. Funny ain't it?

Quote[/b] ]38) I can't find a way to sit in the copilot's seat of the Chinook.

I don't think you can in the official chinook.

Quote[/b] ]39) In the editor, I can't find a way to make someone wait X number of minutes before moving on to the next waypoint.

There's a timer with the fields Min, Max and Mid. Insert to these the time in seconds you want the unit to wait. (eg. put 63 to each of the fields and the unit will wait exactly one minute and three seconds before moving on)

Quote[/b] ]40) There's no wound direction finder so you can know what side of your body is being hit with bullets. This is pretty important when your headphones don't give you much info.

True. Think of it as you're concentrating on the terrible pain you're facing, not where it comes from.

Quote[/b] ]Many of these are serious bugs and I've died as a result of the majority of them. So there must be patches for them. Anyone?

Most of these are just the trademark bugs of OFP and stuff that keeps modders and scripters interested.

(Stuff you said)

Wow, you put some thought into that one.

It kind of amazes me how a game that gets so much right can do so much wrong. While some of the major glitches I mention are more difficult to solve, especially AI, others should have been taught against in game design kindergarten. Any action which is, in the real world, crude and fast such as yanking an eject handle, opening a car door and getting out, or snatching up a rifle should be equally crude and fast in a game.

Then there's the issue of the clipping. While it's not as easy a problem to solve as sticking in a hotkey, if programmers of Doom in 1994 could get it right, I don't see how programmers in 2001 had such a hard time with it.

Ah well. Hopefully they will remember the number 1 commandment in game design for ArmA 2: Thou shalt not ever make a game more difficult by removing realism.

As it is I'm moving on to ArmA but unfortunately my seemingly good laptop chokes on it to where 800*600 resolution still jerks and stutters like the Don't Tazer Me Kid. Until I can play the game in max resolution with the smoothness of Maggie Gylenhaal's supple buttocks, I'm going to have to live with OFP for my battlefield simulation jollies.

I don't see many bugs on your list.  I see:

- things that would be so infrequently used, they weren't worth spending time implementing (meelee).

- things that are basically extra features you want in an 8-year-old game (jumping, leaning).

- things that are patently unrealistic (enemy location indicators, satcheling tanks, shooting from vehicles - when's that ever effective?).

- minor annoyances you learn to play around after 8 years.

- hardware issues on your end.

OFP was designed to be a wide-open battle simulator allowing you free reign of an entire island, and not little BF battleboxes.  With that in mind, they didn't focus on little things like leaning around objects, jumping over things, or throwing satchel charges.  They didn't focus on perfect flight physics. The only valid issues, I think, are the two points you made about enemies detecting you. But that system works exactly as intended, because they designed it to be simple. So it's not really 'bugged,' is it?

I'll invoke the most overused line of the last 5 years: it is what it is. You can change that with addons, mods, and scripts, which are plentiful

I don't see many bugs on your list.  I see:

- things that would be so infrequently used, they weren't worth spending time implementing (meelee).

- things that are basically extra features you want in an 8-year-old game (jumping, leaning).

- things that are patently unrealistic (enemy location indicators, satcheling tanks, shooting from vehicles - when's that ever effective?).

- minor annoyances you learn to play around after 8 years.

- hardware issues on your end.

OFP was designed to be a wide-open battle simulator allowing you free reign of an entire island, and not little BF battleboxes.  With that in mind, they didn't focus on little things like leaning around objects, jumping over things, or throwing satchel charges.  They didn't focus on perfect flight physics.  The only valid issues, I think, are the two points you made about enemies detecting you.  But that system works exactly as intended, because they designed it to be simple.  So it's not really 'bugged,' is it?

I'll invoke the most overused line of the last 5 years: it is what it is.  You can change that with addons, mods, and scripts, which are plentiful

- Melee combat may not happen frequently, but when it comes up, it's VERY important. If you've worked hard to survive on a mission, suddenly find yourself out of ammo without enough time to reload as an enemy has popped out around a corner, you will really be pining for melee combat. Considering games that are 15 years old feature it, there is zero excuse to exclude it.

- Once again, I know 15 year old games that have leaning and jumping. They aren't "extra features". Jumping and leaning are such basic, obvious functions for a shooter that they should be coded before a plot is even thought up. If they had time to program pictures of Vladimir Lenin into guardposts and Christmas Tree easter eggs they had time to program very elemental movements any soldier would want.

- Patently unrealistic? Not knowing what part of your body just got hit with a bullet is unrealistic. One of the most central rules of game design is that whenever you are forced to sacrifice realism due to technical constraints resulting in increased difficulty, you must add counter-unrealisms to paradoxically make the game more realistic. Why do you think the game includes little boxes telling you where your destination is? It's to compensate for the lack of our ability in real life to orient ourselves using our internal gyroscopes.

- Shooting from a vehicle ineffective? Why add mounted guns then? If you're a passenger on an unarmed vehicle, and enemies start harassing you, you are obviously going to stick your rifle out the window and mow them down.

- Satcheling tanks, if you haven't noticed, is one of the KEY objectives in at least two missions. If you're being pursued by a tank, and have the opportunity to duck behind an earthen knoll, and toss your plastic explosives at the tank, you damn well should be able to.

- A game should not have to be "played around".

- I never said I expected aircraft physics on the detail level of X-Plane. I expect physics to WORK. The airplane physics in OFP are a pathetic attempt at realism. Anyone with a brain would have simply, given the lack of time to program realistic physics, yanked an arcade style physics engine from an old fighter jet game that would have worked 100 times better than the garbage in OFP.

As I said before, the minute a player can say "Damn. If this game were more realistic I would have survived," then the game is a failure. Realism, if it is removed at all, should only be removed to make a game easier, not harder. To make a game harder one must add realism.

In short, if these features were intentional and not bugs then I sure hope some designers are in the unemployment line right now.

Oh, and Sepe, yes, you definitely can sometimes board the helicopter in Escape. It's the best, most fun way to beat that level. Those mongrel red commies who were pushing me around and probably saying nasty things about me in the helicopter ride are soon praying to the Baba Yaga as I shower them with 57mm rockets and that smug T-80 thinking he's invincible is reduced to a pile of scrap metal by an AT-6.

Mind you, this is a rather unrealistic way to win as normally bad guys would have faster reflexes, so the first time I played through it, I simply snatched up an AK-74 and started blasting enough people to let me run into the woods.

I find your list of glitches extremely lacking and half-assed. You did a poor job. It should contain at least a thousand more entries to be anywhere near perfect.

As he said, you CAN add Melee, strokegun and strokefist ...

there are most advanced melee which are more useful for AI's to use.

LEANING and ROLLING is already out there, look around.

Jumping is around also, check out the ninja.

Also, you can just look and see where you got hit, arms and legs are the most noticeable. The game has 4 hit boxes, head/body/legs/arm I believe.

But like Seal said, there are a TON of addons, a TON of scripts, and a good bunch of MODS that encompass a multitude of different features in a variety of ways.

If you really get into figuring the game out you will see how complex and genius the folks that made this were.

Pulverizer said it best.

OFP is a military game simulator if you want melee go play BF2 or CS.

On a side note:

Though one of the new mods does have leaning, and jumping over fences and walls. Check out the WW4 Mod

What version of OFP do you use?

Have you patched it properly?

OFP CWC would be v.1.46, and Resistance would be v.1.96. if patched with the latest patches.

- Melee combat may not happen frequently, but when it comes up, it's VERY important. If you've worked hard to survive on a mission, suddenly find yourself out of ammo without enough time to reload as an enemy has popped out around a corner, you will really be pining for melee combat. Considering games that are 15 years old feature it, there is zero excuse to exclude it.

- Once again, I know 15 year old games that have leaning and jumping. They aren't "extra features". Jumping and leaning are such basic, obvious functions for a shooter that they should be coded before a plot is even thought up. If they had time to program pictures of Vladimir Lenin into guardposts and Christmas Tree easter eggs they had time to program very elemental movements any soldier would want.

- Patently unrealistic? Not knowing what part of your body just got hit with a bullet is unrealistic. One of the most central rules of game design is that whenever you are forced to sacrifice realism due to technical constraints resulting in increased difficulty, you must add counter-unrealisms to paradoxically make the game more realistic. Why do you think the game includes little boxes telling you where your destination is? It's to compensate for the lack of our ability in real life to orient ourselves using our internal gyroscopes.

- Shooting from a vehicle ineffective? Why add mounted guns then? If you're a passenger on an unarmed vehicle, and enemies start harassing you, you are obviously going to stick your rifle out the window and mow them down.

- Satcheling tanks, if you haven't noticed, is one of the KEY objectives in at least two missions. If you're being pursued by a tank, and have the opportunity to duck behind an earthen knoll, and toss your plastic explosives at the tank, you damn well should be able to.

- I never said I expected aircraft physics on the detail level of X-Plane. I expect physics to WORK. The airplane physics in OFP are a pathetic attempt at realism. Anyone with a brain would have simply, given the lack of time to program realistic physics, yanked an arcade style physics engine from an old fighter jet game that would have worked 100 times better than the garbage in OFP.

As I said before, the minute a player can say "Damn. If this game were more realistic I would have survived," then the game is a failure. Realism, if it is removed at all, should only be removed to make a game easier, not harder. To make a game harder one must add realism.

In short, if these features were intentional and not bugs then I sure hope some designers are in the unemployment line right now.

1. bayonet charges, urban hand2hand combat, and other CQB scenarios arent part of a 1985 battlefield on a rolling plain.

2. do 8 year old games force u to crawl when hit in the legs, aim bad when hit in the arms, or drop when you get hit in the head? do they allow 1 massive battlefield? were they made for a triple 2.667GHz phenom with a 9600GT? do they allow wind to affect things like parachutes and planes?

lets compare sarges heroes and other army men games to OFP and not CoD (which aint realistic u juggern00bs)

they have about 10 EEs.

3. 3rd person view if cadet. the fact u cant hit shit, are on the ground, or a retry button appears in the bottom righthand corner will tell you where your hit. the boxes are fpor cadet mode.

4. engine limits, lag, and the fact that in APCs it dont work (was removed from bradleys after the 80s)

5. if your being pursued by a tank irl then your dead unless you have a javelin missile

6.played around???

7. u fly a10s on a low level strafing run once in the whole game of 3 campaigns. mod if you want to improve it. a10s and su 25s dont fight each other, they scream at f16s and mig 29s.

8. the game is alot more realistic than the 2007 game which is said to be one of the best ever (CoD4) and have you ever seen a more realistic ALL AROUND game? name a more realistic game which covers all aspects of land warfare and air/sea aspects that rvolve around support the land?

name 1!!!!!!

9. so u dont want a remake made for the 9600 GT with triple phenoms and 3-4 gigs of ram. i understand. u like to criticize for failure.

thats rather tough way of putting it.

reality is guys that OFP is old and getting older, either update to ArmA (which has alot of the bugs fixed, or improved so its not so bad) or wait for ArmAII/OFP2.

That or as suggested download mods, there really isnt much else that can be done.

1. Don't bring a knif to a gun fight. Melee is almost never needed if you plan ahead and the chances of you surviving a melee unhurt in reallife is very small especialy if the other guy is carrying a firearm if you have no ammo and the ennemy is nearby in reality you will most likly die or get captured.

2. You don't need to jump in ofp and jumping is a risk of injury and dificult in reallife when wearing combat kit humans have evolved to walk not jump. Leaning is a more static event used from behind cover OFP being a open ground, dynamic ,land war with little cover has little need for it, go download WW4 mod its free like everything made for OFP and it makes combat in build up arears easier for the player includes leaning and roling on the ground.

3. Why do you need to know exactly where your hit as THEBLITZ6794 said you are less accurate if you are hit in the arms and have too crawl if hit in the legs OFP's damage system is simple and recovery is simple not realistic but an okay compromize I think. Also a clean window is nice in my opinion you don't have a heads up display in real life.

4. Because unless you have a computer(like a modern tank or APC) to help you shoot, you aint gonna hit enything on the move in a vehicle, weapons mounted on vehicles are mostly used when the vehicle is ideling not moving, atleast if you want to hit somthing more than 100m away. And vehicles are bullet magnets you want to get out and fight not stay in it that is suiside.

5. The sound wave of the shatchel charge is most like gonna kill of seriously injury you if you are close to a charge capable of taking out a tank plus it will be heavy to throw, like THEBLITZ6794 said in the senario you describe you would most likly be dead any way.

6. Adapt and overcome like in real life, think about your actions and strategi and don't get your self in to situations that is likely to get you killed. You don't need to "play around" OFP just find out how it works and play it.

7. I like the simplicity and it looks real enough from a distance to me alot better than ArmA.

8. BS you forget all the times you would have died in realife had it been more realistic.

9. Do it better your self then!

Lastly all games has a limit of things you can do in them as they are games. I realy like the options in OFP compared to most other games I have played in the shooting genre, ArmA might have been an engine update but it was a gameplay downgrade to me which is why I still play OFP. Modding for OFP is not so dificult and I find that I can change the game so it becomes even more joyfull for me to play and with MODs like WW4 it looks realy good because of the models/textures and the Animations.

STGN

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b

Quote[/b] ]

Don't know, they do for me. It's a very small effect though. Do you have Resistance?

Hi,

I think this is becaouse of your video card or some settings in OFP.

A long time ago when I had the S3 Savage 4 and Matrox video cards I didnt have this effect too, I don;t know if its becaouse of the video cards or becaouse my settings were too low.

If you like sitting around and creaming your pants with hype waiting for a game, then play the game and be overly critical because "X" wasn't what you expected because you wanted "Y" instead. And also enjoy the out of box experienced designed to keep your attention for a week only to get hyped again because part 2 is coming out and the game you've been waiting for is just made as to be like a conveyor belt for money then stick to console games. Have a great day paying for all the extras.

If you want a game that already allowed so much freedom a la vanilla and then exponentially more with community created extras then play OFP.

No need to whine.

----------------

This is just a reference point in case someone similar in nature posts a thread like this one.

Edited by DespairsRay