Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Hand Signals and AI..replace spoken command?

Tried searching to no avail so...here goes...

If hand signals are implemented , will they be just for show or can they be used to replace the spoken commands being used in ArmedA? (ie tied to the menu..select "squad" , select "go prone" and the SL uses hand signals to issue the command instead of the voice commands).

Probably no one can answer other than a developer but WTH..worth a try...

To my understamdment they are more for show thing. With monitor's resolution and field-of-view they really are not very usable. Worst case scenario is that they don't speak their orders.

And it's really hard to get it right, so guess they are not that much used... At least i hope so. Not very nice if leader AI (and rest of team) keeps swinging their hands while they should keep firing at enemy. Restricting it to aware-behaviour might be good idea.

It's probably best used as an alternative in stealth mode when you don't want nearby enemies to hear your carefree blabbing.

It's probably best used as an alternative in stealth mode when you don't want nearby enemies to hear your carefree blabbing.

I was just wondering about this. Does enemy AI actually hear your commands or is just for the player?

I think you're overanalyzing. I'm pretty sure it's just eye candy and thus cannot be used without verbal command. ie the leader will yell "ALL HALT" and throw the hand signal to stop at the same time.

It's often the little things, even unnecessary and superfluous things, that adds immersion.

I think you're overanalyzing. I'm pretty sure it's just eye candy and thus cannot be used without verbal command. ie the leader will yell "ALL HALT" and throw the hand signal to stop at the same time.

It's often the little things, even unnecessary and superfluous things, that adds immersion.

And besides that, not all players will know what the hand signal means, so if not trained during the campaign it's really hard to understand them all I guess.

Not very nice if leader AI (and rest of team) keeps swinging their hands while they should keep firing at enemy. Restricting it to aware-behaviour might be good idea.

Why would the squad leader or anyone else for that matter being using hand signals during a contact, the only time somebody might use a hand signal during a contact is because no-one else can hear them so they may use the hand signal for 'rally on me' or something similar. They're for use when you are getting yourself into postion and you dont want to give away your presence or intent. In game, I can see it having limited use with AI but with MP it could prove very useful if the game is setup to utilise it, if the game simulates every single soldier on your squad having a radio like before, then its pointless. Not every soldier has an earpiece in his ear.

Not very nice if leader AI (and rest of team) keeps swinging their hands while they should keep firing at enemy. Restricting it to aware-behaviour might be good idea.

Why would the squad leader or anyone else for that matter being using hand signals during a contact,

Because it's possible that no-one will hear you if you just yell. When there is alot powder burned and arty shells hitting ground, you might have to start using hand signals.

True handsignals are very usable when you can't use your voice... Which is pretty much always if not idle (=safe or careless). Then again is it wise for SL to rise his hand up into air when hiding in bush in front of enemy squad?  whistle.gif ... At least it look stupid, maybe enemy AI even is capable to register that risen hand and as a result lobs handgrenade to that bush  biggrin_o.gif

I dont' know how they will work in monitor.

In the trailer the guy's lips weren't moving when he raised his hand.

Why would the squad leader or anyone else for that matter being using hand signals during a contact,

Because it's possible that no-one will hear you if you just yell. When there is alot powder burned and arty shells hitting ground, you might have to start using hand signals.

True handsignals are very usable when you can't use your voice... Which is pretty much always if not idle (=safe or careless). Then again is it wise for SL to rise his hand up into air when hiding in bush in front of enemy squad?  whistle.gif ... At least it look stupid, maybe enemy AI even is capable to register that risen hand and as a result lobs handgrenade to that bush  biggrin_o.gif

I dont' know how they will work in monitor.

you quoted my post then removed half off the text only to repeat what I had already said. Read my post and you'll find I already said that the only time the use of hand signals during a contact would be useful would be if someone couldn't hear you.

you quoted my post then removed half off the text only to repeat what I had already said. Read my post and you'll find I already said that the only time the use of hand signals during a contact would be useful would be if someone couldn't hear you.

Yeah i seemed to remove part of your text which was refering to noicy battlefield. Ma bad.

I was just wondering about this. Does enemy AI actually hear your commands or is just for the player?

Yes, AI (even enemies) does hear you if you use in-game VOIP near them, if that was what you refered to.

I can't see why friendly AI shouldn't react to hand signals like they do to spoken signals, as long as they have line of sight to you.