Sign in to follow this  
Rejn

End Point

Looks great dude! I like it! smile_o.gif

Would you mind if i uploaded it to Youtube?

Feel free man smile_o.gif Link me to it when you done and I'll link it here...

Thanks William Im relieved that you like it as I wasn't sure how welcome a bit of comedy would be and wether it would spoil the mood or not smile_o.gif

A few more delays Im afraid, have been busy adding another artillery script seperate to the one I made previously...

The one i made previously gave the Ai artillery a static position to fire at. This I will use for Victor battery.

Nravo battery which has assigned one cannon to your area of operations from Pasadas however has a different script.

The script I made basically allows a give squad leader to call in artillery fire and pretty much guide it in provided the target is at least 300 meters away from the leaders.

The artillery script does not use a physics or maths forumla to calculate the trajectory, instead it has a starting adjustment parameter of where to aim which then checks distance of target.

The script is actually surprisingly accurate 70-90% of the time given that its calculations are based on mostly distance parameters.

if a shell lands off target the squad leader will be heard radioing in if the range is short/over and will suggest a drop or addition. So the script attempts to correct its firing position until the target is either dead or a new target has been found.

I might release this script at some point along with the voice files for it.

QUESTION:

When a fire mission is called in a marker appears over the target letting the player know a shell will be incoming at any moment...

I currently also have a marker showing me the position of the incoming shell from the arty. Im just wondering if I should keep that marker in so that players can see when the shot has passed... the radio announcer will let you know anyway but Im wondering if people prefer the realism of not knowing or the fun of seeing it incoming on the map?

Additional work to be done are:

-Additional voice acting

-one small event script

-Fine tuning

Hopefully will be done during next week.

I would prefer having the marker,despite the slight loss in realism. Maybe you could make it configurable?

Quick preview of that arty script i mentioned in action.

I will have it in the first mission... there's still loads I could do to upgrade the script. I will have it in its current form in mission 1 and it seems to be working fine.

This vid is not end point mission btw its just a few mech groups.

The arty is called in by an AI squad.

The artillery piece is stationed at Pasadas (spelling?)

Am almost ready for beta testing and will most likely beta test either tonight or tomorrow so if anyone's interested in a slightly unfinished mission one pm me.

EDIT:

The artillery is not actually that accurate but attempts to correct itself. Overall it works as a simulation of inexperienced third world troops hehe...

nice radio chatter smile_o.gif

please use maddmatts effect pack for good looking effects xmas_o.gif

My only critique would be to change the map name of the round from "Bomb" to "Round" or "Rangefinder Round"

Something like that.

Yeah I will change that marker to a dot or something as well.

Shell round or range finder round sounds good.

Hi guys. Sorry about the delays. I've decided to release the mission as is. Its pretty much complete but could probably use some more beta testing just incase and I may or may not add to it/make one or two minor changes, so I am reluctant to say its 100% finished. If you have any trouble's with it let me know. I am on a bit of time constraints otherwise I would probably have released it a bit later. Enjoy! smile_o.gif

----------------------------------------------------------

MISSION 1 - Mountain Thunder

Stage of completion:

Late Beta.

This mission is now in late beta stages albeit complete I may add one or two things depending on feedback/suggestions like I did with The Cause missions when I put them together into a campaign. I will bug fix if anything is encountered. Thanks to Lt.Cameron and Sparks50 for helping me beta test this mission. Feedback/crit/comments/suggestions welcome.

Features:

-INTRO

-END CUTSCENE (NO OUTRO)

-FULL VOICE ACTING

-CUSTOM MADE MUSIC

REQUIREMENTS

-QUEEN'S GAMBIT

-PATCH 1.14 (Uses some warfare models I believe)

BRIEF STORY

The mission takes place in 2009 after the reunification of Sahrani.

A short summary of the prior events are as follows:

Mass poverty and human rights abuses cause a general outcry against the RACS' occupation of North Sahrani. During the RACS puppet elections one of the candidates (General Garcia) storms the North Sahrani broadcasting station and demands the withdrawal of RACS forces from N.S., threatening the use of biological weapons should the RACS not comply.

Russia steps in to try and calm the situation by offering to help rebuild the N.S. government but the U.S. questions the Russian agenda in N.S. A weakend South Sahrani Monarchy takes General Garcia's threats very seriously and decides to withdraw most of its forces but leaves a few battalions behind in the mountain areas of N.S. just incase. However by the time the South realizes Garcia's bluff it is to late as Russian political intervention becomes a new incalculable threat. Tensions flare as a potential cold war scenario is rekindled. Refer to the campaign intro video (link at the top of thread.

Mission description:

You have been recruited into the Foreign Service Regiment which is attached to the North Sahrani 2nd Airborne Division. The Foreign service regiment acts as a foreign recruiter for Russian funded SLA operations in North Sahrani. Shortly after your arrival a helicopter belonging to the interim N.S. government is shot down over the Sierra Masbete. Your battalion is mobilized to surround the mountain range and eventually to engage the enemy. Your company's target is an observation post half way up the mountain which overlooks the only road linking Bagango to Pita Airbase.

Download Link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/151778184/EPFRV2.RAR.html

Out of interest: My own artillery script

The mission includes my own made artillery scripts both fixed and non fixed targets. Non fixed targets (ie: moving targets) are called in by 2nd Platoons Echelon Squad, markers will appear on the map indicating the target and the incoming shell. The shells are fired straight from the cannon so Im not cheating by spawning bombs wink_o.gif if the shell misses the target the squad leader from echelon squad will tell the arty to adjust his fire until the target is hit. Additionally each shell which is fired from the cannons ingame have an attached script to play a whizz sound when their close to the ground.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rejn , first of all, congratulations , you have surpass yourself with this mission , it's bloody funny to play , even for a not very skilled player like me.

The intro is very inmersive , cinematographic, after laughing my ass off hearing the guy with the accent "you bloody americans with your big noses"  rofl.gif  rofl.gif  rofl.gif  you see the credit titles placed estrategically to reenforce the impression of you are watching a movie.

This is the style of mission i like most , great shot exchange with bullets flying around you all the time , and you rolling to avoid them  biggrin_o.gif , very funny .

I liked the outro, the secuence of the AV8 bombing the hill is great.

Just two things to improve :

- in the outro some of the voices sound distorted, don't know if it is only me.

-And (for the next missions) , in spanish , an "out" at the end of a radio comunication , is not translated like "hacia afuera", it is translated like  "corto" ,(like you are cutting the comunication)  wink_o.gif

ah and btw , you sing very bad in spanish  nener.gif  rofl.gif

my puntuation : 10/10  thumbs-up.gif

Hi Rejn , first of all, congratulations , you have surpass yourself with this mission , it's bloody funny to play , even for a not very skilled player like me.

The intro is very inmersive , cinematographic, after laughing my ass off hearing the guy with the accent "you bloody americans with your big noses" rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif you see the credit titles placed estrategically to reenforce the impression of you are watching a movie.

This is the style of mission i like most , great shot exchange with bullets flying around you all the time , and you rolling to avoid them biggrin_o.gif , very funny .

I liked the outro, the secuence of the AV8 bombing the hill is great.

Just two things to improve :

- in the outro some of the voices sound distorted, don't know if it is only me.

-And (for the next missions) , in spanish , an "out" at the end of a radio comunication , is not translated like "hacia afuera", it is translated like "corto" ,(like you are cutting the comunication) wink_o.gif

ah and btw , you sing very bad in spanish nener.gifrofl.gif

my puntuation : 10/10 thumbs-up.gif

Haha i guess I won't pursue a career as a spanish singer then hehehe... Are you spanish btw or speak spanish? Thanks for the tip on corto, btw would I pronounce corto as : sorto or korto ?

My spanish is really bad full stop... I don't speak a word of it actually and just tried to learn the phonetics sad_o.gif

The outro radio voice is supposed to be distorted. So long as the shouts from the guyrunning up the hill arn't.

Thankyou for the great feedback William, I am very pleased that you like the mission as I was a little worried it wouldn't live up to The Cause smile_o.gif

jeje , yes i'm spanish . "corto" is pronounced "korto" smile_o.gif

I am in love with your language smile_o.gif

Im glad you being spanish like the mission as I was secretly hoping the people of spain would not slit my throat for having massacred their language in this mission heheh smile_o.gif

nah , you did it very well for the first time. If you need to translate some english phrase into spanish just ask smile_o.gif

Thanks man smile_o.gif I will pm you if I have any problems biggrin_o.gif

Excellent mission, quite hard once you make it up the hill if you're playing with FFN, got pinned so many damn times.

Rejn, I really urge you to look at the Project RACS addons, especially since they have armour and even more air units close to release, for future missions

Thanks Ravenholme smile_o.gif glad you liked the mission.

I am a bit reluctant to use any addons for this campaign. I plan on doing another campaign at some stage with addons but at the moment I have alot of time constraints. This campaign will not be a very long one apprx 5-10 missions in total.

I enjoyed your previous campaign a lot excpet the last mission. For me it was just too generic, It offered a lot of combat but at expence of respawning units which appeard in very random (for me) and supprising places (What? I've already cleared that sector two times! wink_o.gif ). The next thing was dissapearing bodies which I also don't like. This mission countinues this direction. From what we can read in this thread a lot of people like it. I just wanted to say I don't. No offence intended but when playing this mission I was under an impression that it doesn't matter if I shoot the enemy soldiers. All I needed to do was to rush forward to capture next sectors (I don't know how it is scripted but I had such an impression) and then I moved enemy spawn points forward. From the last save I had I tried the mission a few times. One time I killed about 20 - 30 enemies but stayed in the same place and they just didn't stop comming and eventualy killed me. Last time I tried totally different tactics. I went left (for the last assault on the hill) and climbed at the place where the hill is steep. I encountered 2 - 5 soldiers who I killed and suddenly the mission was over. In the outro before the airstrike I saw a lot of RACS and SLA soldiers mixed on the hill running in circles but not shooting at each other.

In the end I had 48 kills (this was the attempt at which I killed a lot fewer enemies than in some previous unsuccesful attempts). Our casualities were also huge - about 3 pages of names - I didn't feel like counting them. And some of the names were duplicated which looked a bit funny. Eg. I killed 10 x Machineguner but our squad lost 2 x Ruslan Zelinski wink_o.gif

Don't take it personally but I didn't like this mission so much as the first three missions in The Cause campaign.

I should say also that up to the start of the assault the mission was very cinematic and it was fun to play (watch?) it.

Just my 2 cents.

Sometimes it's better to have less combat because too much of it can be... too much of it. smile_o.gif

Hi Lecholas smile_o.gif Thankyou for the great feedback, even though you may not have enjoyed it as much as The first 3 missions in the Cause campaign I still find your feedback refreshing smile_o.gif

I guess one of the major problems with Arma for me is often the lack of action around me. The long lull's between fights which are spent going to and fro battles. I guess alot of what I aim for is hollywood'esque type action or at least a feeling that your on an intense battlefield which seems somewhat at a stalemate.

Usually in my missions of this type it really won't matter how many soldiers you kill as the aim is more to give the player some action for about 10-20 mins and some semblence of a plot, story and continual action until victory conditions are met. The time it takes to complete a mission is really up to the player as some prefer to go head on, others prefer to stay back and wait for friendlies to advance and some like to go around the hill smile_o.gif

Once you advance close enough to the mountain, enemy forces will start to die away as the idea is that they feel their position is compromised.

It's true that I had alot of great feedback on The Cause mission 5 which is more of that which kind of inspired me to make more of those type of missions but I will keep your feedback in mind for future missions as its good to know that mabey some variation to non-stop action might go down well.

P.s. The enemy and friendlies stop shooting each other at the end, sorry about that. I will make sure that isn't so visible if I get time. Its looking like I will be heading back to the Philippines in a week or two so I will try and get one or two more missions out before then.

EDIT: btw Armaholic link added now: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3974&comments=1

After rethinking the topic I came to a conclusion on why I liked the first missions of The Cause and I didn't like those generic missions. In those first three missions I felt like a little element in a big war machine. I wasn't the most important soldier on a battlefield. With a little luck I could finish a mission without killing anyone. In your last missions I feel like a prima ballerina. My comrades can die in hundrets if I don't move and it will be all for nothing wink_o.gif. It totally doesn't fit the background of your all missions (the cinematic scenes of alive soldiers who apparently act on their own, call support, call for artilery or arstrikes). In the first missions I felt that the world around me is living its own life (i.e. war) even if I'm confused and don't know what to do. In the last missions I felt that the world around me is all dummy and waiting for actions of the only actor - me.

I think the key is right ballance between giving the player something to do and convincing him that his actions have an effect on the world (eg. tactics of the enemy) on the one hand, and on the other making an impression on him that he is not the main character of the game. That's my understanding of the fun in ArmA-type games. And I know it is hard to accomplish.

But apart from that you're one of my favorite mission makers. Btw. Did you try Sui's missions for ofp? They are almost perfect.

Thanks for your work and good luck with future projects.

Hi Lecholas smile_o.gif I see what you mean. I will keep that in mind for future missions so as not to rely as much on the players actions for trigger events and try and build the mission to be accomplishable by the ai alone. Thanks again for the feedback smile_o.gif

I think one other point you may of raised is the futility of trying to save your comrades as most of them die in the non stop action. I think alot of people enjoyed mission 2 of the cause because there was a chance that your friendly ai could survive in your squad. More of a feeling of attachment to the fellow squad members.