Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Fallout 3

Mine ought to be arriving tomorrow, will have to make an excuse to not see the girlfriend...I think i'm ill, cough wheeze.

Man-flu. Has a propensity to occur on days of release dates and sports matches.

True, true.. too true biggrin_o.gif

I'm getting my copy tomorrow, and someone better damn have it in store pistols.gif

If i only ordered it off GAME id have mine today too, but sadly not, got a pre-order at gamestation instead.

Fans of Oblivion wont be disapointed, its looking like morrowind with guns hehehe.. Love Bethesda studios and all their releases, big fan smile_o.gifxmas_o.gif

Has to admit that Bethesda is studio which i keep in highest rank of Game devs. I have to buy Fallout 3... Just have to.

Hopefully they get same feeling to it which was in Morrowind. God i loved that world and it's rich culture! My dream computer-RPG still is pretty much Morrowind's world put into Oblivion's engine inlove.gif

Sort of off topic, but if you haven't played "M.Syd jr.'s Tales of the Realm of Ruun - The Tower of Rangit" for Oblivion, you have no idea what is possible to archive with the AI and the "Oblivion engine".

I preordered mine on Play.com about 2 weeks ago. Got it for 24.99GBP smile_o.gif

Sort of off topic, but if you haven't played "M.Syd jr.'s Tales of the Realm of Ruun - The Tower of Rangit" for Oblivion, you have no idea what is possible to archive with the AI and the "Oblivion engine".

Might be. It's 100% german, like quest desriptions, so i didn't get much wiser when trying it. And also seems to happen in cultural hole called Cyrodill. Which is major problem to me as Cyrodill sadly is corporative mainstream BS fantasyworld.

In this Morrowind remains light years ahead of Oblivion. Bethesda managed to produce such fantasy world that it's and remains unique.

I'm not only one saying that when Bethesda corrected mistakes made in Morrowind, like combat and AI, it sadly made mistakes which it managed to evade in Morrowind, mostly dungeon design, world/culture in general.

And besides Bethesda did one bad thing: Cyrodill really should have been in middle of a jungle when reading all the books discussing Tamriels geology and regions biggrin_o.gif (and in ESII: Arena)

So there. Elitis bastard has spoken offtopic rofl.gif (not to be taken too seriously)

Is that your Desktop shining through in the upper right corner? crazy_o.gif

No texture bugs here - just pure apocalyptic awesomeness yay.gif

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd85/magicAAA/gss/fallout3_8.jpg

LOL why you using a hockey mask?? That's only got a DR of 2 tounge2.gif

Seriously now though, I'm kinda irritated. My game CTDs, seemingly randomly. Sometimes I can play for 2 hours, sometimes I play for 30mins, but it often crashes sad_o.gif

LOL why you using a hockey mask?? That's only got a DR of 2  tounge2.gif

Shot was taken quite early in the game when i didn´t have anything to spend on armor, and the helmet i scavanged from vault security wasnt in such a good shape either tounge2.gif

Only had one CTD when i wanted to sell/buy stuff from the Megaton supply lady -  got around it by not buying shotgun shells from her in that run. Tried again 1 or 2 quests later and no more crashes. Other than that i´ve some occasional game lockups upon loading a quick/autosave. Quite sure its caused by my not so stable OC´ed RAM - prbly has it´s problems with the .bik scene running on loading screen.

What are your specs?

Core 2 Duo 2Ghz

2 Gig Ram

X1950 Pro Catalyst 8.8

edit: Steam version... The desktop appeared in the Screenshot only not in game.

The texutre problem i am talking about are those colored squares on the right, at the bottom of the valley

I´d say try another driver version. Lots of people seem to be having problems with the catalyst lately, and always reverting to an older driver fixed it for them.

LOL why you using a hockey mask?? That's only got a DR of 2 tounge2.gif

Shot was taken quite early in the game when i didn´t have anything to spend on armor, and the helmet i scavanged from vault security wasnt in such a good shape either tounge2.gif

You mean you can take out super mutants early in fallout 3 ?

In my Fallout 2 runs, those beasts were not really what you wanted to fight while being a low level guy, especially as they liked to carry huge rifles and other kind of minigun around while you had your puny pipe rifle or lesser 10mm SMG.

Is this another result of the dreaded "auto-leveling" system Bethesda is using since Oblivion that makes usually powerfull enemies extremely weak when the player is at a low level ?

The auto-level (if present at all) is nowhere as shitty as it was in Oblivion. If you´re the explorer kind of guy you occasionly run into far superior enemys. Like the one time (even earlier than the screenshot i showed) when 2 Super Mutants ambushed me near "Big Town" .. green guys showed up with missile launcher and minigun. Killed me twice, but after the third reload i managed to survive. Three of big towns inhabitants weren´t as lucky though tounge2.gif

After appr. 15hrs of play those huge dog like mutants still give me the creeps .. two slashes and my characters done for.

You mean you can take out super mutants early in fallout 3 ?

Absolutely ... if your crazy enough not to run away.

..usually powerfull enemies extremely weak when the player is at a low level ?

Not at all. You´ll have to choose wisely whom to fight. And save often  biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, the first time i ran into a Super mutant i needed quate a few saves and grenades to bring him down, especially the heavy amored ones are hard to kill.

And for the full fear factor there are still the super huge variants that you surely cant beat without gaining lots of levels before.

Offcourse its easier to kill the "normal" super mutans than in the old Fallouts but that is because of the way you play the game, this time you can quickly move and hide behind cover, fire from it, hide again and so on.

Actually that sometimes leads to quit dramatic firefights especially against enemys with longer range rifles.

Use cover, move out, switch to VATS, try to place a good shot or two, back to cover and so on.

The VATS system is actually really usefull ( didnt expect that before i had the game ), if the player wouldnt use it he would have a hard time playing FA3

Best thing on FA3 is the incredible atmosphere, already had a few of these "Oblivion moments" where i just sit on a hill or some higher place, stare at the fascinating landscape and listen to the great ambient music for a while.

The details and the sheer amount of ruins and left over pre-war technology is simply amazing.

FA3 is the only game since a long long time that actually made me foget the time and play the whole night till i noticed that the sun already began to rise tounge2.gif

Here are some screens i took ( unedited, only downsized ):

fa1qs9.th.jpg

fa4fm4.th.jpgthpix.gif

thpix.gif

fa3jh4.th.jpgthpix.gif

I love the heavy powerfist!

Saves lots of ammo, with luck kills enemys instantly and has a pretty cool sound when you smack a enemy in the head with it biggrin_o.gif

FA3 is the only game since a long long time that actually made me foget the time and play the whole night till i noticed that the sun already began to rise tounge2.gif

+1

I might go as far calling it game of the year actually. Even ArmA2 couldnt steal that title away from it (if BI decided to rush it out for xmas).

edit: Power fist is cool, but i cannot stand the "uaargh" sound the character makes when you use it ... reminds me of bad softpr0n movies on Kabel1  crazy_o.gif

Japanese Officer sword ftw. There´s more cool melee weapons but we wouldnt wanna spoil all the fun, right?  smile_o.gif

Question:

I just learned in order to get a (free) house in megaton, i can defuse the bomb.

But then what about the Son of AToms? Don't they get pissed?

What about that fishy guy in suit n tie n hat at the bar?

I want a house... but I don't want to ruin my game taking the "wrong" decisions... (missing quests etc)

Had my first hours of gameplay now (unfortunately I couldn't dedicate as much of the weekend to playing as I wanted to). So far I've escaped the vault, done most of the quests in Megaton, and I am now ready to advance further into the city.

Among other things I've:

- helped the addict come clean

- repaired the pipes

- explored the Super Duper Market for medication and food

- got radiated (and gained a nice perk)

- disarmed the bomb (shot Burke when he tried to kill the sheriff) and thus gained my very own house ( and butler robot!!! )

- found some more info about my father

- got some more quests and quest pointers that will require me to explore Mine Town and some other places

The game plays great, and I really like VATS, even if the camera sometimes really fucks up. I always liked to use aimed shots in the original games, and having an AG of 7 I didn't need to resort to normal shooting too much so far (which, considering I'm playing on a console, is a blessing). It doesn't feel like 'Oblivion with guns', even tho it's obviously the same engine (and, yes, the animations still suck), but rather reflects the setting and atmosphere of the original games very well, without being a mere copy. And it doesn't feel like a simple shooter either. It's a great rpg!

As for the performance, I can't complain. Playing on a console (PS3) everything runs perfectly fine with no technical or gameplay issues so far, but I imagine on the PC with all the usual hardware and driver mess it might be more of a pain in the ass. Nevertheless the game is really worth playing!

@xav: The bomb decision is a definite fork that you can't avoid to take. Either you get the house in Megaton or you destroy the town and gain a room in Tenpenny Tower. Neither result will impede your game, and I don't think it is possible to do all the quests, as at least some are mutually exclusive. If you don't want to decide now, simply leave the decision for later - do all the other quests in Megaton, then follow the main story or go exploring.

+1

I might go as far calling it game of the year actually. Even ArmA2 couldnt steal that title away from it (if BI decided to rush it out for xmas).

edit: Power fist is cool, but i cannot stand the "uaargh" sound the character makes when you use it ... reminds me of bad softpr0n movies on Kabel1  crazy_o.gif

Japanese Officer sword ftw. There´s more cool melee weapons but we wouldnt wanna spoil all the fun, right?  smile_o.gif

Well the power fist has a lot higher damage level ( at least compared to the chinese officer swords i found ) and when i mean sound then i mean this metallic/hydraulic sound that the fist does when you use it, best heareable when not using VATS to hit.

biggrin_o.gif

@xav: The bomb decision is a definite fork that you can't avoid to take. Either you get the house in Megaton or you destroy the town and gain a room in Tenpenny Tower. Neither result will impede your game, and I don't think it is possible to do all the quests, as at least some are mutually exclusive. If you don't want to decide now, simply leave the decision for later - do all the other quests in Megaton, then follow the main story or go exploring.

Thanks

beat the main storyline on Friday, but reverted to an earlier save so i can keep playing, god what a great game.

lets get some pics of your guys characters up!

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screens....36c.png

the armor im wearing is "Medic Armor" that lets you know when enemies are near with inspirational quotes such as "let em eat lead!"