Sign in to follow this  
echo1

Google joins the Browser Wars

I use Google all day long, but without allowing cookies and an dynamic IP. wink_o.gif

I get used to it that the most findings about anything lead you to an shop, but thats the way it is. icon_rolleyes.gif

and as i mentioned earlier, it let Google collect to much data about you.

No more so than IE allows MS to collect information about you, or Firefox allows Mozilla to collect information about you. In fact, you didnt really as much specify that Google is actually spying on you as much as you just stated that you don't like Google.

lol unless ur on a mac i doubt that MS needs IE to collect info about u tounge2.gif

Not to mention that the BSI (Federal Office for security in the IT) would not give out a warning just for fun. whistle.gif

Not to mention that the BSI (State run Security Institute) would not give out a warning just for fun. whistle.gif

Tell the BSI to stop wasting their time crying about security issues and fix my "Save As..." Firefox bug whistle.gif

Well, I have limited resources on my computer. I also open many tabs at a time. And I need them to open fast without raping my RAM.

I have tried Firefox 3, Opera 9/10, IE 8, and they all suck with speed and CPU usage.

Google Chrome and Safari 4 are the best browsers I have ever used.

I only use IE for compatibility purposes.

I've been using chrome since I got my new rig, nearly 8 months now, not a problem at all. It's fast, it's reliable, it's very compact, new versions add new features that I discover only by accident and the chrome extensions are neat. I'm still waiting for an RSS Ticker for google chrome.

Chrome has the potential to be a great browser, but at the moment it feels a bit underdeveloped feature-wise compared with Opera or Firefox. Sure it's fast, but I'd rather have a browser that does everything I need it do rather than one that can load up a page a half-second faster than the rest.

It didn't have any favourites when I tried it so I stopped.

Browsing isn't such a complex task for me that I need a variety of browsers.

IE is fine, it works.

Nice to see more competition with Windows on the OS front. That should lead to some improvements all round.

Since I don't trust Google anymore and I'm really satisfied with FF I stick withit :)

IE is fine, it works.

Not where I'm sitting... and I'm not being facetious - the bloody thing keeps crashing on me and going frightfuly slow. It's like running a dial-up emulation mode, just without the cool noises.

Since I don't trust Google anymore

By no means will I try to defend Google and their sometimes sinister privacy policies, but considering that Chrome is an open-source piece of software, I'm sure that a lot of people around the world outside of Google have read through the source code, and therefore, if something is in the code that's selling your soul or whatever, it would have probably been found long before now.

Edited by echo1

Since I don't trust Google anymore and I'm really satisfied with FF I stick withit :)
Chrome is open-source, so you can check the code yourself if you think Google implemented some kind of spyware, privacy breaking practices.

But Firefox and it's Gecko engine also use Google APIs and Google code. Take Google Gears for instance, which is a native Firefox API since version 3.5.

Apparently Iron crashes a lot, I'd be more inclined to go for Chromium, which is the unbranded version.

Try Iron
And why should I trust them more than Microsoft, Mozilla, Google, etc? Edited by SgtH3nry3

And why should I trust them more than Microsoft, Mozilla, Google, etc?

You shouldn't. True men use Lynx.

Edited by echo1

You shouldn't. True men use Lynx.
Hehe.

I was more referring to the paranoid vision some people have. It seems the whole "the system sucks" ideology is still making people very paranoid.

Why would Google want to invade your privacy? Yes, they might store your IP address, but mail companies (whether you like it or not) also store your home address?

Which is worse?

An IP address can be dynamic or spoofed. You can't fake a post address, perhaps by moving constantly.

Why would Google want to invade your privacy?

It might be lucrative for them to do so. The transparent citizen not only is every governments wet dream, but also that of any buisnessman trying to make profit.

RNJl9EEcsoE

:yay:

It might be lucrative for them to do so. The transparent citizen not only is every governments wet dream, but also that of any buisnessman trying to make profit.
Even the government has it's own privacy policy.

Storing information of an individual using a service is very common.

I'm not talking about insurances, governments, public utilities, banks but everytime you pay using debit or credit cards any shop knows what you have bought.

The privacy of today is very different to the privacy of yesterday.

Of all things, Google only stores your IP address and queries to the system for advertising.

Your supermarket knows your eating habits, your supermarket visit schedule, differences in buy patterns, etc.

changing your browser does not change the speed of your internet connection....

changing your browser does not change the speed of your internet connection....

If they did then nobody in the world would be using IE haha. God I wish what were true. DIE IE!

Anywho. Chrome started off "meh" then went to "ooh" and it's not officially at the "not to shabby" stage. It's very similar to Safari in how it renders (well, it's using the same render engine, so naturally it'll be similar, it uses it's own java engine however).

I'm all for anything that pushes open web standards to the masses. It makes the life of developers a hell of a lot easier. If IE died we'd have no more use for "if ie" tags and having to use several style sheets for the different versions of IE, and the one for every other browser!

I'm so used to a bunch of addons for my Firefox browser.. I'd just miss them =)