Sign in to follow this  
JackReid

56k modem

i have a 56k modem, 800mhz, 191 mb of ram, 3d card.

Some say its playable with 56k some say it isnt, im just setting mine up,

If its un playable then its badly made as most people are 56k only some have cable

It really depends on your isp and what server you play on...if you can find a server that is really really close to you geographically and in number of hops, then you might be in luck...your ISP also has to be reliable or else you will drop packets and then it wont be playable.

when i had my 56k it was playable just dling and joining was a bit slow but my ping was good about 130 now that i got adsl my ping is 110 mostly dling is fast but ping ant much different.

If you're expecting 30 player DM then no, if you're happy playing Opf as IMO it's meant to be played with 3 or 4 player co-op then yes it's very playable on dialup, just make sure the host is on a decent connection, cable and up smile.gif

Heres a list of things to check if on 56K modems:

1/ Use same ISP to reduce hops (yea I know I repeated a post)

2/ Connect to a hoster with a broadband service.

3/ ensure restricited number of players.

4/ Choose games with limited number of AI.

5/ Use direct connect IP rather than ASE or Gamespy. (best bet is to get a local group together)

6/ Ensure you've disabled all background programs.

Some good low resource requirement missions are available at:

http://www.the-gunfighters.com/ofp/singleplayer.htm

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bloodmixer/

I'm on ADSL, and we use VOIP Battlecom for verbal communication. we usually have 6 players, one DSL hosting Battlecom, one DSL hosting the game and 3 out of the 6 are on 56K. If the mission is limited on WP and Armored weapons, the 56K guys don't complain, unless they have a really bad ping (200 +) usually, no problems are encountered. The times where the modem guys start having a bad game, is usually when we use 2 tanks at once or a chopper...

Good luck.

We have quite a few that play on our servers with little problem. They don't 'seem' to lag the server any and you really don't hear them complaining.

Matter of fact one of the better players on our server runs 56K Dialup. He is a little bit slower than most on downloading new missions. However, he does beat some of the Cable players when downloading missions too.

So I would say it depends on where you are and how good your ISP is and lastly how good the OFP Server is your connecting to.

smile.gif