Sign in to follow this  
GuyKorn

Is anyone going to boycott bis add-ons?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Mar. 04 2002,14:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You sound like the kind of person that just wants wants wants and is never satisfied.<span id='postcolor'>

*Gasp* You mean..a woman?  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I would not know. I do not know any woman.

BIS does a lot for us gamers, so i don't boycot a company that improves their product regular. I can't wait 'till Resistance comes out, and i will buy it!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ Mar. 04 2002,15:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BIS does a lot for us gamers, so i don't boycot a company that improves their product regular. I can't wait 'till Resistance comes out, and i will buy it!!<span id='postcolor'>

I agree, if only so I can continue playing with the core group of players I do now.

Frankly, It seems to me that a premature release of O2 and visitor would have a greater likelyhood of damaging the games reputation than improving it. Someone used Counterstrike as an example earlier in the thread, it seems to me that from what I have read on the various forums..that Counterstrike has become something of a farce..there is rampant cheating and overpowered items all over.

Frankly, I would be very surprised if after the release of these tools that we wouldnt see, UFO's and F-22's, giant robots and submarines, plasma rifles and terminators stalking about Malden. Who needs it?

None of these are necessary for an Infantry combat simulator. Frankly how many aircraft are required? how many armored vehicles are necessary to create an immersive game. This game is not a flight simulator, even the crappiest flight sim surpasses the capabilites of this game, the same fairly holds true for armored vehicles (albeit less so).

The game is excellent, it has its problems like many others, it is by no means the buggiest released as has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Does anyone here know about Pool of Radiance, Ruins of Myth Drannor? - this program needed a patch so you could install it properly. It needed a patch so that when you tried to Un-install it - it wouldnt erase your hard drive.

BiS Undoubtedly handled it poorly, and they should apologise for stringing along those people who were so counting on its release. But they dont owe us squat, we have the game, the game works...maybe not as well as some might like.

Frankly I think that even the release of the modeling software will only slightly delay the demise of this game. all games have shelf lives and then something else comes out.

Recent movement of late on servers both through Gamespy & The Eye suggest a real shift in the core group of players since the original release of the product in the UK & US.

As has been mentioned on other forums MOH takeup is huge.

I guess you shouldnt worry about it cause it really is outta BIS's hands, people will vote with their feet...

MODS & Maps keep games alive...the tools are essential... Just look at the Close Combat Series...still going strong... smile.gifsmile.gif

I think that the eventual release of a couple of the core mods, Nam & 1944 will keep the momentum and probably bring back players that actually expected quicker results and have "itchy" feet...I have moved to MOH as well as OFP just to satisfy my thirst for WW2.

wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (fauxrs @ Mar. 04 2002,17wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ Mar. 04 2002,15wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BIS does a lot for us gamers, so i don't boycot a company that improves their product regular. I can't wait 'till Resistance comes out, and i will buy it!!<span id='postcolor'>

Frankly, I would be very surprised if after the release of these tools that we wouldnt see, UFO's and F-22's, giant robots and submarines, plasma rifles and terminators stalking about Malden. Who needs it?

None of these are necessary for an Infantry combat simulator. Frankly how many aircraft are required? how many armored vehicles are necessary to create an immersive game. This game is not a flight simulator, even the crappiest flight sim surpasses the capabilites of this game, the same fairly holds true for armored vehicles (albeit less so).<span id='postcolor'>

Very narrow minded whats wrong with UFO's and F-22's? if mods stuck to the original game type then this game will die very quickly look at halflife's variaty of mods WWII, Amarican civil war, feudal japan etc etc variaty is the spice of life

PS. we already have terminators  <!--emo&tounge.gif

I agree, what's wrong with UFO's. giant robots etc., especially in context.

Here's a clue: if you don't like a mod, dont install it. biggrin.gif

With full modelling tools available people could do awesome total conversions like Predator, Aliens, Starship Troopers, Stargate and many other sci-fi military genres.

To simply say modelling tools shouldn't be available because it might lead to some mods that you dont like personally is totally ridiculous.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Mar. 05 2002,02:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree, what's wrong with UFO's. giant robots etc., especially in context.

Here's a clue: if you don't like a mod, dont install it. biggrin.gif

With full modelling tools available people could do awesome total conversions like Predator, Aliens, Starship Troopers, Stargate and many other sci-fi military genres.

To simply say modelling tools shouldn't be available because it might lead to some mods that you dont like personally is totally ridiculous.<span id='postcolor'>

To simply say that modelling tools should be available, because it will allow you to make mods that you want is equally ridiculous.

All that aside, in context, there isnt really anything intrinsicly wrong, wasnt really my point (which after reading my post was clearly not explained) my point is these are mods that BiS may not be interested in having associated with their game is all.

BiS has every right to determine if the modelling tools are available or not.

What I would hate to see is some doo-fuss walk into a game with his plasma rifle vs. my measly MP-5

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ Mar. 05 2002,03:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Major Fubar. I think that your avantar looks kinda strange. confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Its meant to.... biggrin.gif

For the full sized pic I made it from, click here. I wanted a really bizarro pic, and I think this is one freaky photo.

Oh, and yes, it is BIS's right to determine if tools are made available or not, and who they are released to, but I think theyve gone about it in a pretty poor way. What I was trying to say is that if it is released, people can use it to make any mods they want, no matter how silly or non-miltary. I was trying to say that is up to the game owner to determine what mods he wants. I dont think BIS can rightly release tools to the public and then complain about the type of mods that are made. But maybe I did miss the point of your post, I must admit I actually read the reply more than your original.

oh my god. I think that pic scarred me for life.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it'd be rather unlikely that BIS wont be releasing a patch that'll make your 'standard' OFP copy compatible with Resistance. My best guess would be that they bring out a patch with the new netcode and maybe units, and that you'll have to buy the Resistance Expansion to get the new island and campaign. Only time will tell.... <span id='postcolor'>

What happens when I connect to a server running a mission set up on the new island? Or a mission with new vehicles from resistance?

I tell you what happens... session lost... is what happens.

The addon would have to include everything exept the new campaign and missions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The hundreds of thousands of people playing OFP who DON'T post on this forum aren't going to care that BIS isn't releasing Oxygen YET. They just want to play the game.<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly! And what happens when the Regual Joe wakes up one morning, drinks a cup of coffee, connects to his favourite dedicated flashpoint server, and... nothing. What the fuck, he thinks stairing at the session lost text on the screen. So he makes his way to the operation flashpoint official web pages to dowload the latest patch, but only to find out that one isn't available.

He quikly finds out that to upgrade his flashpoint to comply with the latest version, he must make his way to the local game store and purchase the resistance CD.

Still in his PJ's, he slowly looks at the flashpoint CD-case, and sighs. This turn of evens has now unabled him to have his daily 2 hour flashpoint-internet-punsihment-whoaa-fubar-funfun-session. So he presses the button on the drive and slowly the sledge ejects the CD. Regular Joe takes the CD and hurls it trough an open window into the crisp moning air. Inserst his half-life CD, and has a few fun filled rounds of action packed DOD 2.0.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think if BIS give away 60% of a commercial product so that it makes their older product compatible with the new, for free then without a doubt they deserve the crown of best games producer EVER.<span id='postcolor'>

It's the same fucking product! Adding a sunroof to your house doesn't make it a new house!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think most people are staying away because it has no join in progress and because it can take a little while to get the game going even if you do connect when the host is setting up the mission. The netcode I have no problems with now. Vehicles move in a straight line correctly, enemies die straight after you shoot them etc, what more do you want?<span id='postcolor'>

I agree. Then again I'm on a 10/10Mbit VDSL, so there migh be actual problems with people playing with ISDN. Also the join in progress would enable more types of multiplayer missions. As things are now, there should be a sound signal, to signal that a "game in progress" has ended and is now "waiting for players" so as I'm eating or making out with my girlfriend while waiting for a round to end, I don't end up missing the assignment of teams, and end up getting kicked from the server. And the sound signal should use the PC-beep, not the default sound device. Because I have the headphones connected when playing FPS games, so I wouldn't be able to hear it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GuyKorn @ Mar. 05 2002,05:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">oh my god.  I think that pic scarred me for life.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, it's freaky, but when I saw it I laughed my ass off too...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree. Then again I'm on a 10/10Mbit VDSL,<span id='postcolor'>

There's no justice in this world sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What happens when I connect to a server running a mission set up on the new island? Or a mission with new vehicles from resistance?

I tell you what happens... session lost... is what happens.

The addon would have to include everything exept the new campaign and missions.<span id='postcolor'>

I REALLY doubt resistance will just an addon.pbo or two that go in your addons dir. I think there will be ALOT more to it than that and I would think BIS have thought of your concern already.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's the same fucking product! Adding a sunroof to your house doesn't make it a new house!<span id='postcolor'>

Um, completely new netcode is the equivilant of a sunroof? I really dont think so. New netcode will make the game 10 times more enjoyable for people who are obsessed with OFP's poor netcode. Many people I know, and would like to play OFP with point blank refuse to play OPF multiplayer because they feel the netcode is that bad. I dont really agree with that, but I hope that with new netcode we can have alot more players, AI, vehicles, tanks, heli's etc without alot of warping that can be seen with the current netcode and high numbers of units. Persistant OFP worlds would be amazing though I doubt we will see join in progress, it's still a nice dream to hold on to wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Exactly! And what happens when the Regual Joeâ„¢ wakes up one morning, drinks a cup of coffee, connects to his favourite dedicated flashpoint server, and... nothing. What the fuck, he thinks stairing at the session lost text on the screen. So he makes his way to the operation flashpoint official web pages to dowload the latest patch, but only to find out that one isn't available.<span id='postcolor'>

This is EXACTLY the type of problem that will increase with the general release of oxygen. If there is a few "themed mods" then the chances of this are unlikely. I mean, you dont just connect upto a Half life server, you connect to a DoD, FA or CS server. I hope the same will be for OFP total conversion mods.

i deleded ofp yesterday since i was bored to death with it

i prefer the free disc space instead (have 20g free )

red hammer was absolutely not worth its money, since i

had the upgrades so its only the extra missions

i played about 2, never looked at it again

and about those tools : in each and every good game

(quake, nfs series, max payne, and so much more) we could mod everything, in comparison to other games BIS SUCKS big time

im quite sure im never going to buy anything from those guys anymore

Grasshopperbe,

Im sure I speak for 99% of this community when I say this,

Why the hell are you on a OFP forum if you dont like this game, go to a max payne forum and talk about the unrealism. Dont come back here your not welcome

Ah grasshopper, you still have much to learn. Until you can snatch the pebble from my hand, you will not be ready.

You have disgraced us all!

kungfu.jpg

I see no reason boycotting any products from BIS just because of their decision not to make the modelling and editing tools available to the broad mass- Personally i think that´s the best way to ensure good quality mods and prevents a massive flood of cheats that would, without doubt, come with a full public release of all editing tools- just look at such games a Quake/ Halflife/Unreal and their endless modifications- i wouldn´t touch those games with a ten foot pole if online gaming is a primary aspect for me, nor could i be arsed to test out 100´s of modifications to find a well made.

I learned from the soundmod i made a great deal, regarding such things- I know what a changed config.cpp can do to Flashpoint and i can imagine what would be possible if everything would be accessible by everyone. It´s not that BIS doesn´t make the tools available at all, they just make them available to projects that have a thoughtfull torough concept and sound seriously as i understand- what could be wrong with that?

It ensures quality work and leaves out half-arsed things, like they´re available for many games mentioned by someone  earlier above- how much of the available mods for a particular game are you playing when 100+ are available anyway? 1, maybe 2- most certainly the best and most popular high quality mods, right?? Such as CS for Halflife, or infiltration for UT. The rest you´ve probably never heard of anyway and never installed it, as it´s also a compatibility issue when you are playing online, you want to make sure you get into games without getting a msg like "Missing file SDKFZ".

I come from Rainbow Six/ Rogue Spear/ Urban Ops/ Covert Ops/Swat3, all games where there is also an assload of mods available with according cheating worrys, the majority of the available mods crap with just a handfull of good conversions- additions that are actually used in online games.

So you use maybe 2 mods out of possibly 100, sparing the remaining 98%, so where is the need to have a complete addon flood disaster where noone is able to overlook the sheer mass anyway?

If you want to do addons or mods badly, work out a concept and find ambitious like minded people to get started into the OFP modelling buisness, can´t be this hard or am i wrong !!confused.gif

I´m sure that anyone with a good concept really ambitioned about modelling for OFP will stand the best chance of getting the tools from BIS.

Furthermore i think that support from BIS for their product is unmatched so far, they are constantly improving the game, as if they would have nothing else to do like working on other projects. I witnessed many games where nothing happened after a single patch or no patch at all have been released, leaving the game buggy and crappy, there are many of such examples i could list here. Those complaing about "lacking" support have not the slightest clue about gaming software or buisness in general, making me believe OFP is the first and only game they´ve ever played, or they are just notorious bashers, as they appear in any game in any genre. What BIS done so far for OFP is way beyond whats usually practised, most of what we did get for free is sold seperately for all games i know of as expansion packs, yeah i guess you can say that "really..reallly bad support"- get a grip on reality.

i absulotely 100% agree with you satchel....

i couldnt say it better my self!!!!!

Anyway, enough is enough. I retire myself from the ofp forums, and from the game, not that it really matters in the scheme of things. I apologize to bis if I was over critical of their product. This has nothing to do with ofp, and I'm not making some idiotic protest. Just tired of ofp.

Goodbye to all you forum goers, mappers, modders, flamers, and whoever else.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ Mar. 06 2002,04:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want to do addons or mods badly, work out a concept and find ambitious like minded people to get started into the OFP modelling buisness, can´t be this hard or am i wrong !!confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Amen to that!

That's what I've been saying since all this Oxygen stuff started, clearly they think I'm too rectally connected to Bis so perhaps finally they'll listen to you smile.gif

Yeah, i don't care if they don't release Oxygen to the public. As long as new addons are made i don't complain. And i sure as hell am not going to boycot, because i want resistance.

You're not getting anything when u boycot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (grasshopperbe @ Mar. 05 2002,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i deleded ofp yesterday since i was bored to death with it

i prefer the free disc space instead (have 20g free )

red hammer was absolutely not worth its money, since i

had the upgrades so its only the extra missions

i played about 2, never looked at it again

and about those tools : in each and every good game

(quake, nfs series, max payne, and so much more) we could mod everything, in comparison to other games BIS SUCKS big time

im quite sure im never going to buy anything from those guys anymore<span id='postcolor'>

Grow Up.

How about a new poll, who thinks that there are a lot of immature, annally retentive children on this forum?

"You think BIS sucks so screw you? yah well BIS owe's me the tools **** you!!BIS doesn't owe you anything **** me!!!......andonandonandonandonandon" Get the picture

A couple of things, does BIS owe us anything? NO

Do we owe BIS anything? NO (unless you're some little warez freak in which case you owe them for the game)

Do they have to release O2? NO

Would it be nice if they did? many think so, many don't so who's right here? (Both are!wink.gif

Should they have said they were going to release it, and then not? NO (did they actually say they were though this point seems to be in argument alot)

Can 3d tools help you cheat in a game? NO (if the server in question does not support the mod being used then it WON'T run on it!!!wink.gif You will never go up against an enemy with a plasma rifle online, unless admin for that game server installed the plasma rifle mod!!

There are a lot of good well thought out arguments on both sides of this question, there are also a lot arguments that my 5 year old could have put more eloquently! NOTE: people do NOT need to grow up because they wan't a tool that you don't care about!!

Personally, I will be buying Resistance, it looks very cool. I don't know what Independence lost is so I can't answer that, and I will NEVER pay for a patch ever!!! If the company screwed it up, then they can fix it at they're own cost. Do they owe patch, NO but it's good PR!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MosquitoMkVI @ Mar. 06 2002,15:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">NOTE: people do NOT need to grow up because they wan't a tool that you don't care about!!<span id='postcolor'>

Whatever you rekon...

You do, say and think what you like. I'll do, say and think what I like. But I'm not the one complaining like a little child that is denied that little toy. I don't go like this when I don't get something I want unlike some others. People complain about not having it and then you have people that complain about the people that complain. So what do you want? You want people to complain and act like children? Well thats fine with me. Just DON'T you start complaining about it after this post.