Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Trains in Arma2?

Rather than trains, open operational platforms would be good. For simple transport to embark sit at and disembark. Just another way to travel than on foot for troops.

Maybe leaving it to modders would be good to create roll on/off carrages for cargo/ammo etc.

If it ended up just being there for the map reasons on not working then I wouldnt be worries that much.

I think some people should (re)-read some of the older posts in this thread !

A correct walking in/on moving vehicles would be only a dream in ArmA2 i bet,

because the use is far away from the work to realize it.

But when the most VBS2 commands find they way into ArmA2, better working trains (as the AEF_Train) would be possible, that is a point i can bet for.  wink_o.gif

(but maybe the track models of ArmA2 couldn't be useful for it, depends of the models whistle.gif )

I don't know if we do need trains in ArmA II, because I can play trains simulations elsewhere, but I think about some features related to trains such as tracks, cuts, embankments, bridges ... and tunnels, providing shelters, concealments, ways and targets.

And a freight car, motionless in a switching yard, full of ammo or of toxic gas containers can be a nice target.

Hmm, talking again of trains and how they'd need to move...

Try this and take a look at the behaviour of current AI...

Get a squad of 10 soldiers, you as leader, set them to CARELESS/SAFE, make your weapon down (double-hit the Ctrl key), set yourself to walk not jog (double-hit shift key) and take a little walk, turning a bit as you go along...

The troops will drop their guard, and then start to wander along in single-file (regardless of what formation you ordered). As they do this they will form a snake-line that meanders around like a river, or train-track, following exactly where you have just walked.

Perhaps the basis of train AI is already in existence in the engine, just the AI controlling carriages would need a tighter formation, and to follow the tracks behind the main engine.

Food for thought at least for the future?

They said there not making a train, so im sure they wont. But what they might too is model some trucks as static objects that can be placed onto the track to give the effect etc..

i see just all these "What if they can" and "They should do" well if its all that easy why dont "YOU" get started moddeling a train and getting all the scripts etc that would be nessary.

Well, this is a forum: a place intended to help folks discuss the topics in question and maybe put forward ideas that they might have.

Many things have been discussed over the years, many things have been made either as addons or in the game itself, and IMO thhe whole community, and the whole OFP/ArmA experience has benefitted a great deal.

Me? I don't know much about making 3D stuff, unfortunately, and I don't really have the resources to buy maya or max, again unfortunately. So all I can do is suggest things that come to mind, and put forward some observations that may - or may not - help things along - even prompt some discussion on the topics.

If some don't like reading suggestions and ideas, or to discuss stuff in a constructive way, then maybe a forum isn't the best place to hang out, huh.

To put trains in ArmA 2 would close this game to be perfect game play...this would complete all transport known to man...... unfortunately not going to happen....but as Matt Rochelle said why stop there...

We have the talent here to actually pull this off.... the problem is for someone to start it.....trains is a very big project, not like any other addons...trains needs other items to complete it self...like tracks, signals, stations,bridges etc..... and the list goes on...

main problem is the scripting...

Can be done..look at [AEF_Train] they did it biggrin_o.gif