Sign in to follow this  
Misfit Leader

How will the "border" be generated?

72 @ Sep. 27 2008,09:57)]Our new map looks small when looking at the airfield. IF that airfield is in scale with the map. And if it is, then its definatelly a heli place rather than jet.

BTW: Noticed the high hills north and west now. I guess thats the answer to how they stop us from going further. Steep hills from SW to NE. Might be? And if thats the case, the map becomes even smaller.

Pure speculations though. wink_o.gif

EDIT: heh, yeah the new map is twice the size of sahrani. So its definatelly not small. smile_o.gif Think we might be stopped by the mountains like i previously said though. Maybe...

It doesn't look twice the size of Sahrani to me. It looks maybe twice the size of Southern Sahrani.

If I understood Mr Buchta right, sahrani is about 124sqkm so go figure. smile_o.gif

How can you tell the size of the map from THAT picture?  wow_o.gif

I overlapped the runways. While that probably isn't a perfect match I imagine it would at least be close. There was still a bit of North Sahrani left when I overlapped it. I did cut and paste parts of Chenarus that overlapped water around Sahrani over other parts of Sahrani to get the figure closer and there was still quite a bit of North left.

Why can't BIS just use land? Yes, it looks like there are large mountains, but that doesn't stop the aircraft. BIS should hand create the first bit until a certain distance, and then it could either be:

-Random generated terrain upon loading, needs to be synced for multiplayer

- Repeated meadows

Personally I'm interested in how this would work in multiplayer. In a game mode like Warefare, would it be possible to build a base outside the borders? On one hand it would make finding it very difficult, but you're also further away from any cities.

I overlapped the runways. While that probably isn't a perfect match I imagine it would at least be close. There was still a bit of North Sahrani left when I overlapped it. I did cut and paste parts of Chenarus that overlapped water around Sahrani over other parts of Sahrani to get the figure closer and there was still quite a bit of North left.

That wont do jack, Arma 2 will most likely be using a differnt terrian gird size as already stated so even if that map did line up the scales would be totaly differnt.

Why can't BIS just use land?

Please do not attempt that!

The water/ocean it a great visual affect, and also allows for Naval combat/maneuvers.

That wont do jack, Arma 2 will most likely be using a differnt terrian gird size as already stated so even if that map did line up the scales would be totaly differnt.

Why would that not work? In the video I saw of the runway it looked to be roughly the same size as the one on Sahrani. They didn't happen to match up on the two pictures I had to scale one of them down and rotate it.

Now assuming that one of the runways isn't 10km longer than the other one it should line up at least fairly accurately.

Terrain Grid size doesn't affect this at all. Im not measuring based on how big a grid is, im measuring it based on how well the runways lined up. Maybe I am totally off or maybe I am a little bit off but as of right now my prediction based on lining up the runways is better than anything else. I did the best I could with what I have and maybe it doesn't give you an exact answer but it should be close.

In the video I saw of the runway it looked to be roughly the same size as the one on Sahrani. They didn't happen to match up on the two pictures I had to scale one of them down and rotate it. .

Well I tried doing just that - rotate and scale to match airport lengths and I find that it's very easy to see individual roads on the sahrani map where as on the chenarus map it's absolutely impossible. Only a couple of places can one imagine roads, but really, it could be anything.

I will admit to assuming that the grey splotches on chenarus are towns which could be a mistake.

But I'll go on a limb and postulate that the airport on chenarus is longer.

It has to accomodate larger aircraft now too.

I hope they include more than one airport like in arma where there are four. It makes things more equal when having 2 or more sided games..

I hope they include more than one airport like in arma where there are four. It makes things more equal when having 2 or more sided games..

They sort of have. By using a small aircraft carrier. I think Ivan mentioned the USS Wasp (LHD-1) in the Sahrani Radio interview.

They sort of have. By using a small aircraft carrier. I think Ivan mentioned the USS Wasp (LHD-1) in the Sahrani Radio interview.

of course yeah i remember seeing it  whistle.gif

feel a bit stupid now cos i even mentioned it in an earlier post, just completly forgot about it confused_o.gif

If that IS the final map, I hope they include a few smaller offshore islands , in addition to those already there.

Maybe a couple larger ones far from the coast ?

Would really add to the feeling, when you know there is something out there, somewhere...

make it a continent, like Australia. lots and lots and lots of land so when you fly a fast plane it takes at least 5 minutes to cross it. the land lovers get their LAND! and the sea goers get their beaches with infinite watter.

that wouldn't be laggy at all, but it would be cool

lol, maybe BIS should check this out smile_o.gif

http://forums.ogn.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=973