Sign in to follow this  
Supernova

ODOL explorer

I extract the res data3d.pbo but I don't know how to apply the texture to the w3d files i see in odol explorer. It says file\data\****.pac not found. Where do I put the pac files etc... ?

Dunnot understand well but can try to answer.

I think you want to look inside data3d.pbo with Odol_explorer.

1) You cannot, because Odol_explorer open only ODOL p3d models, instead original Ofp model are all MLOD p3d model. To look them you have to use Oxygen and Oxygen viewers (O2)

2) To use ODOL_explorer: Example: I want to look all the weapon models of RHS_WEAPON.pbo. In my pc RHS_WEAPON.pbo is inside a directory named OFP_WORKPLACE. Un-pbo the weapon pack. Open Odol_explorer. Select "data dir". Double click on OFP_WORKPLACE. Click Ok.

Hope is enough clear

Regards

biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

original Ofp model are all MLOD p3d

Ahh no, original models inside OFP data3d.pbo are ODOL format models.

If you wish to view them in Oxygen you need to convert them to MLOD.

ArmA is much the same.

Planck

In the old OFP demo version of Data3D.pbo, they were in MLOD format.

So ODOL explorer does not unbinarize models correctly?

Not all the time ... can be missing bits, creates lighting errors, missing names etc

ODOL is engine optimized format.

So the binarization process drops some information in the conversion as its no longer needed for the engine.

ODOLEx cannot recreate this info.

No idea if ODOLEx actually drops information from the ODOL file

itself in the back conversion to MLOD.

ODOLEx cannot recreate this info.

I'd say rather: ODOLEx does not recreate this info.

But yes, the ODOL-files hold different information than MLODs. For example ODOL lacks the selected/hidden vertices/faces, which really is only important for editing.

But more, ODOL doesn't have explicit information about 'sharp edges', which leads to the lighting problems.

But it has for sure implicit information about the sharp edges, and I suggest that it is indeed possible to recreate information about sharp edges, probably not 100%, but with acceptable results (of course assuming that the original author applied sharp edges at all).

First possibility is to find out how O2 calculates the normals; then you find out how those normals differ when they're on a sharp edge or not. Now you check for every face what the most probable configuration for their normals is: sharp edges or not.

• Thanks 1

odol has verts/faces defined for each 'named selection' just not the 'selection' that one might have had highlighted in the the sp3x version.

odol verts/faces have the 'hidden' property defined as well.

a 'sharp edge' in a sp3x is turned into 'extra' geometry in the odolv7 in the form of splitting the edge at the 'sharp' and creating extra verts at the same location...

I once got a strange problem. When tried to transfer a model in Odol to Mlod. The model couldn't be seen in Odol except a ball shape in Odol. Anybody knows the reason?

If you mean : "i can't see Mlod models in Odolexplorer", it's ok because odolex cannot show unbinarized models.

No. What I really mean the model could be seen in O2 editor but couldn't be seen in External Viewer and game after tranferring from Odolexploer.

I see, it happens sometimes, most of the time when the model has too many vertices : because odolex isn't a good tool, it mess the models, selections, named properties and splits the model into lot of vertices (something like : if a vertice is part of three faces, it'll create 3 vertices at the same place). Try to use the "merge near" function (with default distance which is 0.001 if i remember well) to reduce the polycount.

you guys should just use P3dedit, its better

you guys should just use P3dedit, its better

Why ? Always thought it was worse than odol_explorer...but i may be wrong