Sign in to follow this  
USSRsniper

ArmA AI and terrain

Armed Assault can bring great single player battles, but its limited by the terrain. For example when hills are too steep, AI become dumb, they get stuck everywhere, or walk around the mountains, or just stand there without moving, even animations don't work on hills. But if there will be for example Afghanistan map, how would AI Taliban fire RPG's from steep afghan hills.... OFP was much better, AI was capable of fighting in mountains, which brought many nice missions.

Such a shame that ArmA AI can't fight in mountains, i'm surprised that its still not fixed... whistle.gif

Armed Assault can bring great single player battles, but its limited by the terrain. For example when hills are too steep, AI become dumb, they get stuck everywhere, or walk around the mountains, or just stand there without moving, even animations don't work on hills. But if there will be for example Afghanistan map, how would AI Taliban fire RPG's from steep afghan hills.... OFP was much better, AI was capable of fighting in mountains, which brought many nice missions.

Such a shame that ArmA AI can't fight in mountains, i'm surprised that its still not fixed... whistle.gif

I do like how if the terrain is too steep now you either slide down it or fall off. I don't like how the AI isn't very good around cliff edges though and things like that. I would really like them to fix it but im not sure how likely that is.

Those two islands between South Sahrani and North Sahrani (one of them is the start of the helicopter single player mission) are useless for SP things because the AI can't climb up any of the beaches on it.

I tend to suspend such discussions until the long-awaited and allready exspectations-overloaded patch arrives.

I've always found the issue is the terrain is to smooth. In real life theres ditches, groves, dykes yet in Arma terrain is really really smooth in the most part

I've always found the issue is the terrain is to smooth. In real life theres ditches, groves, dykes yet in Arma terrain is really really smooth in the most part

Yeah, I agree with this. Something that I've never really seen in any game are ditches or groves parallel to a road, and they could be used for cover when ambushed.

It is overly smooth. I find roads to be really unrealistic, they are usually raised from the ground floor. Plus, there's just so many small places to hide and so on that it's a shame that nothing like that is ingame. There was the very nice very high setting for terrain in OFP that made it all bumpy and it was a lot more fun to play there, but now nothing.

I hope ArmA2's terrain engine will be able to render a much higher terrain resolution, but I sincerely doubt it though.

+1

Indeed, i find this 'feature' of ai steering their way around mountains which the player can easily climb, to be game braking at times.

I made a company sized 'defend the hill' mp mission, with all sorts of fancy scripts and so on, only to find that the the Ai, couldn't climb the 80m hill crazy_o.gif

Namely it was the small hill with a tower on it in North Sahrani, called 'Alcazar' iirc. Put me off mission making big time that one.

On an offtopic note (hint hint) the terrain being 'too smooth' is why you can have 200km^2 islands in ArmA. It's a compromise, but the ability to make smaller islands with greater terrain detail would indeed be quite nice.

Indeed, i find this 'feature' of ai steering their way around mountains which the player can easily climb, to be game braking at times.

I made a company sized 'defend the hill' mp mission, with all sorts of fancy scripts and so on, only to find that the the Ai, couldn't climb the 80m hill crazy_o.gif

Namely it was the small hill with a tower on it in North Sahrani, called 'Alcazar' iirc. Put me off mission making big time that one.

I've also found that one annoying. I was hoping BIS would fix it in a patch, but it seems that it hasn't happened yet confused_o.gif

The AI shouldn't avoid things that are not an actual obstacle whistle.gif

That and the fact that soldiers try to walk in the middle of the road are AI problems that really bug me. They just don't make sense.

I wish this could be done too but I think you have to compromise it to get such large terrains. Although if they don't have to I would be incredibly happy. There is a real cool place by Corozal. If you go past the hill to the North-east of it there is a big ditch thing thats really steep and nice for defensive positions. One of my favorite spots on the map.

Yeah, that place around Obregan proves that it's quite possible to have a slightly hilly terrain that breaks a 1000m plain into 200m segments, with bushes and terrain and offers cover.