Sign in to follow this  
_Pingu_

Completed claymores, need testing.

Good that you added proximity detonation! (all the finns can use that without breaking any laws wink_o.gif )

But what about the tags? I think its important.

Please take a look smile_o.gif

edit: is there a possibility to add some visual wire ingame?

http://rapidshare.com/files/92809292/claymore.pbo.html

I beleive the sound playing over and over is fixed in this version.

I've also made some ballistic changes after testing in multiplayer, turns out the engine can handle the 700 ball bearings that the claymore actually has (up from 200). Now the claymore is much more likely to hit it's target, I've reduced the damage of each bearing at the same time so you're still going to kill at close range but at longer ranges you're more likely to mame (as less bearings are hitting the same target).

I absolutely cannot be fucked going through and rewriting all of my scripts to have tagged everythings at this point, your suggestion is noted though.

Realistically, you're not going to see a decent tripwire. I do understand that it adds to gameplay though and if anyone has a relatively easy way to draw a thin rectangular prism of variable length going from one point to another, speak up and I'll see about adding it.

The trigger is actually 1 meter wide, any smaller and it does not work reliably. If someone lags through the trigger, it won't go off.

Ok, the repetitive sound issue is repaired

biggrin_o.gif

Is the buzz sound before the claymore detonate done on purpose?

huh.gif

I'm afraid I have no idea what buzz sound you mean. So no, I guess.

I'm afraid I have no idea what buzz sound you mean. So no, I guess.

It's the sound of 15 prone soldiers all covering their ears & giggling to themselves biggrin_o.gif

Yeah Pingu I will change the aaaaaaaaaa folder for you. It's named that way because when the addon was first made (smoke addon) there were no tools available to me so I had to hex edit an existing p3d file, and as you might know you have to preserve the exact size of the file, so text padding was needed smile_o.gif

Now of course it's different, so I will make a special little file of my own & get a proper folder structure going smile_o.gif

*edit*

BTW, as an idea I was thinking maybe use set-length tripwires. Maybe a choice of 2m, 4m or 8m? With the option of rotating the tripwire model similar to how the Claymore used to work? I'm saying this without having tried the new version but it's just an idea smile_o.gif

*edit 2*

Oh BTW, as far as feedback for the tripwire laying method - I like it. Took me one or two goes to realise I needed to be close to the unit to attach the initial tripwire to it before running off to make the two end points, but I wouldn't change it, it makes a lot of sense. I do think a visible tripwire would be great, maybe a 2-sided looooong polygon with a string texture mapped to it, or as you say a very thin prism model. Would you bother to implement linking the tripwires to the units to allow for finding & disarming? Not sure how you would do that other than to sink one end of the wire to the base of the unit so you can hide the remaining length of the model under the ground.

Looking forward to any new stuff you make as well, especially bouncing bettys wink_o.gif

I think the present system :

- place claymore

- attach tripwire

- start tripwire

- end tripwire

is a good system, even if you cant see the wire because you need to be very cautious as with the real thing.

It's bit more difficult if you want to disarm the thing ... you must detonate the Claymore to avoid accidents.

About the buzz sound : it's the sound of an electric buzzer ... detonator ?

Bouncing betties would be sweet...those are a combat engineer's worse nightmare (or any infantryman for that matter). They bounce up to waist level and BOOM! Very nasty. I've seen what an M16A2 bouncing betty (yes same name as the rifle) can do to human flesh. An instructor I had at Ft. Leanordwood for land mine training had part of his tricep on his left arm and a rib missing from a training accident in Germany. He was outside the kill zone. The two guys next to the mine weren't so lucky...they had most of their legs, arms, and parts of their face shredded. They didn't live. After seeing the dammage it did to my instructor, that gave me a healthy respect for land mines (along with all the videos they showed us from the Vietnam War of land mine casualties).

Anyhoo...On that happy note, I'm gonna test out this new version right now.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I was thinking, and I doubt this can be implemented by this release, of using two sort of sticks coming out of the ground (like in vietcong if any of you have played it), so that you actually have to hide the end points of the tripwire. Dunno how I'd stretch the tripwire out though, maths gets a little tricky to plot models on a slope too. This is why I quite like the invisible tripwire for now.

Ok I just tested it and overall I really love the system. However one big bug is that the start and end points actually go far past the points that you actually designate. This resulted in my untimely demise several times as I was happily trotting back to my protective wall and unwittingly set off a tripwire even though I was far away from where I had set it.

The other small bug is not a bug...just a nitpick over one item of realism. In real life, your start point is the claymore itself as you insert a fuze equipped specifically for a tripwire. I don't remember the exact model # of the fuze but if memory serves me correctly its the identical fuze as the tripwire fuze used for M16A2 bouncing betty land mines (replacing its multiprong pressure fuze).

So basically what I'm saying is that normally the start point would be your claymore with the endpoint being wherever you designated it. It is possible to have a three point tripwire, but that requires a lot of experience to do it properly.

With the standard two point tripwire (with beginning being the attachment to the claymore) you would have it aiming at an angle towards the path the enemy is likely coming along. If you expect a point man, then the mine facing the line on which the trip wire is facing. An alternative is to lay a very long tripwire so that the mine is facing towards the length of the tripwire but is far enough back where the cone of the blast will cover a fairly wide area and take out at least several soldiers if they are bunched up.

I am not insisting that you do this, but I just wanted to put it out there, that this would be more realistic.

Another item that might be useful would be to have something in front of "Detonate claymore" as I don't know how many times I blew myself up because I hit "enter" to quickly. If it is possible (I'm not sure if it is), it would be nice to have something like "test clacker" (clacker is the detonater) and maybe see if you can find a recording of that sound it makes. Its a wonderfully delightful little sound it makes when you squeeze it hence the name "clacker". It has a test mode on it that we usually would use prior to any detonation just to make sure its working properly.

Aside from all that, I REALLY like that you made the dammage of the balls slightly less. I think how you have it now is quite accurate. Even if you don't change it much, I love this addon. I see how this can definitely be expanded into a full mine pack similar to the old CoC landmine pack of OFP.

If you haven't already, you might want to check their stuff out for some inspiration and maybe get permission to use their models as they have all the main American and Russian landmines modelled in that pack.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I'll take a look at the tripwire too large bug, it's always going to have to be a meter or so fat though it shouldn't be WAY off lengthways.

As for your realsm concerns, I completely agree and will modify it to only allow you to place one end point, starting point always being the claymore. This should also prevent people from doing really stupid shit with the tripwires as a bonus. Would it be possible (however pointless) to attach multiple tripwires to the same claymore?

I'm concerned about players accidentaly detonating the claymores too, do the clackers have a safety setting? I'm thinking of replacing "Detonate claymore" with "Clacker safety off". Once you hit safety off, you will have the detonate claymores options for 10 seconds or so, then the safety will automatically go back on. This way you can safety off a single claymore, blow that one safely or safety off the bunch and blow them all very quickly.

Generally, how long are the cables supplied with the claymores? Right now I'm allowing them to be detonated out to about 1200 meters and calling them wireless claymores but I want to change that now.

Anyone have any clacker sound effects?

I did get inspiration from the CoC mines, I think I've improved on them too in terms of realism and useability. Unfortunately I can't salvage much of it. I've already written my own implementation of the physics which was the tricky bit, which only leaves the models. The models however, are quite OFP looking. I don't want to put a lot of work perfecting the physics of something that looks terrible in game. If any modellers want a mon-50, 90, 100, 200 or a bouncing betty in game provide me with a mildly nice o2'd textured model and I'll get to work in the near future.

Also, anyoen know if my textures way too big? They're 2048x2048, which make the addon huge. They don't seem to affect performance but I'm more concerned with filesize. Any way to compress them as paa files?

Plenty of questions there, hope you guys can collectively answer most. Thanks.

I'll take a look at the tripwire too large bug, it's always going to have to be a meter or so fat though it shouldn't be WAY off lengthways.

As for your realsm concerns, I completely agree and will modify it to only allow you to place one end point, starting point always being the claymore. This should also prevent people from doing really stupid shit with the tripwires as a bonus. Would it be possible (however pointless) to attach multiple tripwires to the same claymore?

I'm concerned about players accidentaly detonating the claymores too, do the clackers have a safety setting? I'm thinking of replacing "Detonate claymore" with "Clacker safety off". Once you hit safety off, you will have the detonate claymores options for 10 seconds or so, then the safety will automatically go back on. This way you can safety off a single claymore, blow that one safely or safety off the bunch and blow them all very quickly.

Generally, how long are the cables supplied with the claymores? Right now I'm allowing them to be detonated out to about 1200 meters and calling them wireless claymores but I want to change that now.

I did get inspiration from the CoC mines, I think I've improved on them too in terms of realism and useability. Unfortunately I can't salvage much of it. I've already written my own implementation of the physics which was the tricky bit, which only leaves the models. The models however, are quite OFP looking. I don't want to put a lot of work perfecting the physics of something that looks terrible in game. If any modellers want a mon-50, 90, 100, 200 or a bouncing betty in game provide me with a mildly nice o2'd textured model and I'll get to work in the near future.

Also, anyoen know if my textures way too big? They're 2048x2048, which make the addon huge. They don't seem to affect performance but I'm more concerned with filesize. Any way to compress them as paa files?

Pingu I appreciate the effort into quality but I would say 2048x2048 is far in excess of what's needed smile_o.gif In fact, the odds of anyone really appreciating the model & textures OTHER than the mine layer is quite minimal. I would definitely tone it right down. I can reduce the image sizes if you cannot do that, no problems. Let me know what dimensions you DO want it.

Not completely sure, but to detonate the Swedish Försvarsladdning 21 (essentially an M18A1) you have either a wire or an electrical fuze.

You insert the detonators into the mine itself and thus I assume it is disarmed by simply removing the electric/wire-detonator.

Or Swedish defensive charges comes with a 50m electrical wire (usually we use both the wire and electrical detonators at the same time as failsafe precautions).

And as for big filesize. Cut down the resolution to 1024x1024 or 512x512, and also.. .ZIP the .pbo file! The .pbo is an UNCOMPRESSED format, and by making it to a standard .rar file I got it down to 19% of it's original filesize.

Oh, and one more thing I came to think of.

Time delay. If you need to cover your retreat you should be able to (like with the Satchel) just set a timer on the charge and run. biggrin_o.gif

As for your realsm concerns, I completely agree  and will modify it to only allow you to place one end point, starting point always being the claymore. This should also prevent people from doing really stupid shit with the tripwires as a bonus. Would it be possible (however pointless) to attach multiple tripwires to the same claymore?

I did get inspiration from the CoC mines, I think I've improved on them too in terms of realism and useability. Unfortunately I can't salvage much of it. I've already written my own implementation of  the physics which was the tricky bit, which only leaves the models. The models however, are quite OFP looking. I don't want to put a lot of work perfecting the physics of something that looks terrible in game. If any modellers want a mon-50, 90, 100, 200 or a bouncing betty in game provide me with a mildly nice o2'd textured model and I'll get to work in the near future.

I suppose you could attach multiple tripwires but because its a directional land mine, that wouldn't help much really as the whole point is to blast in the mine towards one area. If you happen to wound anyone off to the side or the rear, its just luck or they were really close. Not only that, but using a tripwire in general is extremely risky. A little too much tension and the primary safety pin could very easily get pulled out after you remove the secondary safety pin. Trying to rig up two lines would magnify that risk and probably be a little too dangerous and not really worth doing.

However you can daisy chain several claymores together which is how you create a REALLY nasty ambush that will wipe out a squad quickly just using one clacker and several claymores. The alternative is to use several clackers which is basically what your addon simulates (where you just detonate them in quick succession).

There are different lengths of wire spools used. During training we used fairly large spools of wire that probably went out about 100 or 200 meters. I honestly can't remember the exact length of the spool as it was just a big black unmarked spool of wire kinda like the types you use for winding up outdoor extension cords but a bit smaller.

On Wikipedia they have a pic of a smaller spool that I've never seen, so I'm guessing that they come issued with different size spools. Now that I think about it, the spools we used may have been the same spools we used for landlines for old field phones (that you have to manually crank). At any rate, generally speaking you normally wouldn't set these out farther then 150-200 meters.

According to Wiki (not the most reliable source) they have developed infrared sensor triggers for them which would be cool. I've never seen them, but that wouldn't surprise me if they developed something like that.

As for the clacker, I'm trying to remember (its been quite a few years) but I believe the clacker did have a safety. I'm wondering now if I still have my old field manuals that cover the claymore operations...

Ah here's a pic of a pair of clackers.

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/Claymore%20Clacker.JPG

I think the safety was that little metal latch on the rear if I remember correctly. The top part is where you connect the wires.

As for the sound of the clacker....yeah that'll be difficult to find unless someone happens to have access to one and can make a recording...or is familiar enough to approximate the sound of one.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

There are both infrared sensors, audio sensors (listens for footsteps), seismic sensors (registers vibration of the surface the claymore is standing at/is attached to), light sensors too I think (so that it detonates if you aim at it with a flashlight for example) and the list goes on. I think they've came up with all possible detonators imaginable. Questions are how likely it is you have one such detonator, and if it serves your purpose better than another. crazy_o.gif

But yeah, it'd be a cool feature if one could link several claymores (an option for "Attach to claymore X" or something), letting you electrically blow off several at once. That way it's easier to especially set up defense in several directions since you only need to remember two different claymores for two directions, rather than maybe eight.

And I'd say... let the tripwire be up to ten to fifteen meters or so. I can't imagine one would use a longer one even in forested area since it'd be hard to set up, and there's a great risk something is in the way so that the wire might not touch the charge off, simply because it's partially stuck.

I'd be happy enough if we got three ways to detonate them: Manually with clacker, with timer or with trip-wire. All else is excessive and pure bonus.

Oh, and as for aiming. Since it has such a wide cone both horizontally and vertically I think you can increase the increments for how much up/down and left/right one changes the direction. *That* great accuracy isn't needed since it hits nearly everything in front of it anyway, but the time it takes to aim it in steep hills or such might kill you as operator simply because it's slow.

Really like the addon though, so keep up the good work!

True, the tripwires usually aren't very big.

However while a timed fuze is possible, I wouldn't see much practical purposes for including a timer. I think manual clacker and trip-wire is good enough.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Timer can be very useful if you haven't had the possibility to properly mine your position and have to retreat in a hurry.

Say your position is getting stormed and you need to get the hell out of there. Drop a claymore where you were with a maybe 30 second timer and then run. Even if you don't hit anyone with it they'll sure be more careful in the pursuit.

I'll try to get the timer into the next version, I've got to feature freeze at some point though and this feature isn't quite as easy as it may seem.

Thanks for all your feedback guys, this will be the final version bug fixes aside. Please test it thoroughly.

It has safety for the clackers, realistic tripwire system, the sights move twice as fast with no accuracy loss (they're more touchy) and lowered texture resolutions. I've also fixed the problem with the tripwire being twice as long as it should be by making it half as long, no idea why I have to do that but it works. Oh, and they now use extended event handlers so you no longer need the crate but you do need that addon.

http://rapidshare.com/files/93075216/claymore.pbo.html

Ohhhh! Wunderbar! Thank you!

And as for making a timer... You could always make a while-loop that depends on a variable set by the "Set timer for X seconds" (maybe 30 second increments like the satchel), and make that loop run once every second, so it looks like something like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_x = 0;

while {_x < _time} do {

_x = _x + 1;

sleep 1;

};

Blow claymore and shizzle

Thus one can increase the time pretty much any time during the countown without fucking it up.

Probably some even smoother way to do it, but just giving the general idea ^^

this will be the final version bug fixes aside. Please test it thoroughly.

With the latest version linked in your post im getting this:

pingu_claybug.jpg

Maybe you used the outdated init eh addon instead of the new one (XEH) ? huh.gif

edit: rechecked the version that was released before and noticed that the tripwire didn´t fire by running it it from behind, but only running into it in front of the claymore. Dunno if that´s fixed in the latest version as i cannot test it with the error mentioned before.

Well I'm not seeing the XEH error, and I'm using XEH 1.3 which as far as I can tell is the most recent?

But I do have one problem - the tripwire is no longer useful as there's only "attach tripwire" followed imediately by "end tripwire", no start of tripwire. This means that the tripwire extends directly from the Claymore to the tripwire end, a not-very-useful configuration IMO. Unless the tripwire is used solely for targets transversing across the Claymore's vision. If I wish to target enemies moving away or toward the Claymore there's nothing I can do.

I think the earlier method of tripwire was MUCH more useful.

Well I'm not seeing the XEH error, and I'm using XEH 1.3 which as far as I can tell is the most recent?

Now im confused.

Had alot of other addons loaded .. but they should´nt interefere with either the XEH or claymores huh.gif

Will test it again with clean mod folders and edit my post later...

edit: Same problem like before.

Only addons loaded were XEH and the claymore, on ArmA v1.09

But i noticed that theres a sh**load of .rpt errors too.

Quote[/b] ]Warning: claymore\models\mine.p3d:9 Error while trying to generate ST for points: 56, 60, 61

Not relevant for the script bug, but still worth adressing.

Now im confused.

Aha, well after reading your posts I had a more extensive look around, and found some old extended event handlers hiding away in one of the SIX_Sense addon packs. I deleted them so I only had the new ones active and now I get the same errors you do. I guess the SIX_Sense addon folder was overwriting the newer XEH PBOs so there IS a fault with Claymores when combined with the new XEH version.

Also found out some of my own addons have the same problem, so what's the current accepted XEH standard? Newest? I'm guessing all the addons that used them are now needing updated.

No idea what those RPT errors are and how to fix them, extended event handler was causing bugs in multiplayer too so I've ditched it, gone back to the ammo box version.

The world doesn't revolve around extended event handlers, I think we can do without.

The tripwire works fine when placed to the rear of the mine for me, try the latest version and let me know.

DMarkwick, while I do sympathise that this new tripwire method is less versatile, if you use it in in a 'parallel ambush' sort of configuration which you will want to 99% of the time you will not have a problem and it's actually much easier. The old tripwire was not an accurate representation of reality, as stated you would not be able to set up a multi-point tripwire very easily. As a bonus, it allows the claymores to be disarmed if spotted as you can pretty easily guess where the tripwire is and approach from the rear. The old model isn't accurate either as it's just two points "suspended" in space while in real life there would have to be a third leg going from the claymore to the start of the trip which would confuse people.

As another bonus it makes it harder for people to be complete jackasses with claymores in say, pvp games.

I'm talking from what I've gathered from people with experience with claymores here, if someone wants to correct me go ahead.

Those without real experience, please voice your opinions too.

Here they are without event handlers.

http://rapidshare.com/files/93312643/claymore.pbo.html