Sign in to follow this  
walker

Get Ready to dump your LCD screen

Hi all

No more 21inch LCD computer screen, no more wide screen TV, no more 3Dglasses, the future is contact lenses

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=7281810

Terminator rabits are about to take over the world!

Read more here

http://kotaku.com/346081/bionic-eyes-could-change-the-face-of-gaming

and here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080117125636.htm

Here is the original source

http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=39094

Kind Regards walker

Aye, saw that at work today! Freaky stuff.The uses are limitless though. Especially with solar cells and wireless technology. Just need to develop an advanced "HUD".

Hi all

In reply to LeftSkidLow:

More worried about doing an all night Sci Fi film night falling asleep with them in and waking up the middle of the film Aliens.

Kind regards walker

I suppose what would be quiet worrying is if people start loosing there grip on reality with these things in. You could generate objects and characters that look like they inhabit the space around you and such for games or interactive films or something of the sort. Or even have entire game worlds like that found in MMO's beamed into your eyeballs combined with motion sensors to increase the immersion.

Just think how much time people spend hooked for hours to things like world of war craft today using just keyboard and monitor for input and output. With contact lenses and motion sensitive controls people would find it increasingly hard to pull them selves away from more exciting 'fantasy' worlds that are coming closer to resembling real life then boring old soba reality.

Of course we got a few more years to go before something like that is possible, still something to consider.

That`s some pretty cool stuff.

That people loose their "connection" to the real live already happens with the technology of today.

People are glued to their PC and play WOW (for example wink_o.gif ) for far too long, so that`s not really a matter of available technology. huh.gif

That`s some pretty cool stuff.

That people loose their "connection" to the real live already happens with the technology of today.

People are glued to their PC and play WOW (for example  wink_o.gif ) for far too long, so that`s not really a matter of available technology. huh.gif

Seconded! I already lose touch with reality easily in Flashpoint on a 17" laptop screen. I don't think this would make things better. :P

Kindof cool, but it's also a scary development. It'd be a decent brainwashing device if you ask me.

Shame we're all gonna die before they get down to less than three kazylions $...

kewl stuff though...

LCD screen? Screw LCD, I'm keeping my CRT until I'm going to go blind! Which is probably going to be soon.

finally, we're cathing up to chrazzey future techonology that we hoped to catch up to in the 1980s :O. Seriously exciting stuff though. Now my line of thought went:

--> Researchers need money to work faster

--> This gadget will be useful for military applications

--> Americans like

--> Americans poor money

--> Gadget gets worked on at full speed

--> hooray!

Pretty cool stuff. I'd imagine they'd find a way to incorporate something similar into eye glasses sooner. Which in all honesty I'd prefer. Call me strange but I'm not crazy about putting something directly on my eye (yes, even normal contacts)

Damn, think about the new business opportunities. Holy shit I need private equity NOW!

Jut imagine a real estate firm wants to build a house but wont finish it in two years time from now.

Nevertheless they want to use the time to already find tenants for it so they can design the appartments accordingly and get rent from the first day on.

So what they do is, they design a model of this house on their PC and when you drive by the spot you see the model of the finished house instead of an ugly construction site.

Just imagine the opportunities that arise if these contact lenses work in combination with geo taggable information. This is hilarious!!!!

Hmm...why don´t they transform the salt and water from the eye into energy with a reactive component in the lens ? Would make sense to me and would explain red eyes in the morning after a trip to Mars or Venus wink_o.gif

Well, maybe they should start off with something for normal glasses, which have see-through ability and could carry a micro-battery etc...

Just saying this because other people besides me could also be naturally inhibited from using contact lenses - I have a too-sensitive "shutter"-nerve and my eye-globes are too retracted as to make even placing contact lenses anything less than a painful and morose experience... crazy_o.gif

Damn, think about the new business opportunities. Holy shit I need private equity NOW!

Jut imagine a real estate firm wants to build a house but wont finish it in two years time from now.

Nevertheless they want to use the time to already find tenants for it so they can design the appartments accordingly and get rent from the first day on.

So what they do is, they design a model of this house on their PC and when you drive by the spot you see the model of the finished house instead of an ugly construction site.

Just imagine the opportunities that arise if these contact lenses work in combination with geo taggable information. This is hilarious!!!!

I actually think, this would turn into modern day Potemkin village. tounge2.gif

@Buzzard

There is already something like this; although the image is projected onto the glasses instead of working like a LCD.

I actually think, this would turn into modern day Potemkin village.  tounge2.gif

@Buzzard

There is already something like this; although the image is projected onto the glasses instead of working like a LCD.

Yes, why not. I mean take Malta for example. When tourists want to cross the Island from north to south to get to their hotel they come by a huge stinky dumpsite. Of course that is a total holiday-feeling-killer. So the tourism authority would order a 3D modelling company to develop an animated 3D version of a vivid volcano. There you have it.

No more whales in the sea? No problem... bling.. there they are

Palm trees to expensive and too dangerous for cars? Well cut them all and replace them with models

Too many ugly fat women at the beach? Well add some digital super models?

Need a dancing partner? bling...

Is the night clerk to expensive for a hotel ... bling.. there you got your digital version...

the police cant patrol the streets night and day? well, at least pretend you are ... bling!

biggrin_o.gif