Sign in to follow this  
DaV!d Armstrong

Gasmasks in arma 2 and the toxic gas.

Aaannnddd the argument turns ridiculous...

Point is, there are many many much more important things for BI to worry about than Gas Masks, which can, as has already been pointed out, be easily modded into the game.

Yes, yes... many more important things...

...you did notice I was among those who suggested it is easy to add a gasmask to the game?

But calling it ridiculous to ask for a gasmask based on facts that it's what soldiers are trained to use, and that it has been in real battle use in recent years... even by the military which is presented in ArmA 1 and will be presented in ArmA 2... I'm sorry I have to disagree with that being ridiculous. A gasmask is standard battle equipment of the army which you will play on ArmA 2.

I wonder how you will add "gas feature" into game? Imho DaV!d Armstrong only likes this as another eyecandy.... sorry if i'm wrong.

Another questions is how to know for player and ai ingame where toxic gas is deployed? This kind of gas has no color, nothing to hear...

Be sure if gas mask/NBC "features" will be simulated close to realism nobody will use it longer than max. 5min. or else will use cheat "cleanair".

Well there will be some way to release toxic gas somewhere, so there will also be a way to detect where it has been released.

If you have a moving cloud (as you should) then tracking where most of that cloud is won't be a problem I'm saying. You can have many ways to do that.

For Operation Flashpoint such thing was done many years ago. A toxic cloud, if you enter it, you die. If you stay out of it, you survive. I don't know how it was done in that particular case I tested in action, but it worked I can tell you that.

That's the sense I get, NoRailGunner. D.A. likes the look of gas masks and therefor he thinks they should be in ArmA2- which is his right, you know. If he likes gas masks and thinks they're sweet and wants them in ArmA 2, and wants to discuss that in these forums, then we can discuss it.

Baddo, gasmasks are realistic, but so is taking a dump in the woods, getting branches in the face, slipping on a wet log and breaking your tail bone. Many of those are more prominent parts of military life than using your gas mask. Also, like using the gas mask, the only reason why any of them should be included is if they contribute meaningfully to the way the game plays. So far (off of the top of my head) arguments for the gas mask have included that they look cool, that poison gas is a reality in warfare... and I'm sure there have been some other good ones. How would they contribute to the game, though? You put on the gas mask to narrow your field of view and perhaps fog it up a bit or you die if you don't wear it. Perhaps I'm a bit uncreative but I think it's not something the devs would worry about because it seems like it wouldn't enhance a general warfare game. Now, if you were the member of an HRU, that would make a meaningful contribution to the game. Being that you're a member of Marine Force Recon (IIRC) in ArmA 2, that could be a possibility that you'll be KIDDING and FISHING and bang and clearing, zap strapping tangos and hosties, but somehow doubt it very much given the way I surmise the AI will be set up. In sum, I think in order to make gas masks interesting, I think a lot more than just gas masks would have to be put into the game.

Imho DaV!d Armstrong only likes this as another eyecandy.... sorry if i'm wrong.

No you're not.It is also an eyecandy,also means i see more than one advantages in this feature.

We can practice more scenarios!You never know what comes next! Just imagine,you and your guys on teamspeak are engaging hostiles,and than suddenly your screen becomes blured,black,shakeing,and your player (you) gets coughing bout.Your teammates are fallen ill and can't fight anymore.You have to put the Gas mask to survive,if you put the Gas mask on,your sight gets lesser to 50%.You only see the two circles of the combat zone through the Gas mask.The Gas is invisible,so you don't know where the intoxicated area is.And that would be make the game more exciting and harder..more Veteran like! What also need on ArmA 2 are Flashbangs or Stungrenades,it is an important equipment of almost every soldiers.

I hope now you know why i want this feature on ArmA 2.They should make this feature like i said.

Greetings @ all

DaV!d Armstrong

EDIT:Me and my mates are not playing Evo or Berzerk (that doesn't means the missions are bad,i like Berzerk),we are making our own "simulation" missions like,ambushed konvoi,means you don't have much time to choose your weapons,you are driving a truck from A to B,and you get ambushed.You have to react fast.That a real fun.I <3 it! (<3 = love) biggrin_o.gif

btw:What is Imho?Sorry i really don't know what the whole internet language mean.I should learn that.

That's the sense I get, NoRailGunner.  D.A. likes the look of gas masks and therefor he thinks they should be in ArmA2- which is his right, you know.  If he likes gas masks and thinks they're sweet and wants them in ArmA 2, and wants to discuss that in these forums, then we can discuss it.

Baddo, gasmasks are realistic, but so is taking a dump in the woods, getting branches in the face, slipping on a wet log and breaking your tail bone.  Many of those are more prominent parts of military life than using your gas mask.  Also, like using the gas mask, the only reason why any of them should be included is if they contribute meaningfully to the way the game plays.  So far (off of the top of my head) arguments for the gas mask have included that they look cool, that poison gas is a reality in warfare... and I'm sure there have been some other good ones.  How would they contribute to the game, though?  You put on the gas mask to narrow your field of view and perhaps fog it up a bit or you die if you don't wear it.  Perhaps I'm a bit uncreative but I think it's not something the devs would worry about because it seems like it wouldn't enhance a general warfare game.  Now, if you were the member of an HRU, that would make a meaningful contribution to the game.  Being that you're a member of Marine Force Recon (IIRC) in ArmA 2, that could be a possibility that you'll be KIDDING and FISHING and bang and clearing, zap strapping tangos and hosties, but somehow doubt it very much given the way I surmise the AI will be set up.  In sum, I think in order to make gas masks interesting, I think a lot more than just gas masks would have to be put into the game.

I knew someone comes up with what else is realistic. Great job soldier!

Not having a gasmask in ArmA 2 will leave out lots of possibilities for scenarios.

My arguments have nothing to do with a gasmask being sweet, nice, cool, etc. I'm looking at the functionality of a gasmask, really. And at what interesting scenarios it could make possible to create, even to the official campaign of ArmA 2.

Have the campaign designers of ArmA 2 considered having biological/chemical weapon attack at some point of their campaign? Could make for a very interesting campaign, to have part of it fought in NBC equipment. You could simulate what the US military has been fearing to happen in the Gulf War and in the Operation Iraqi Freedom. Make their fears come real in your game.

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]Have the campaign designers of ArmA 2 considered having biological/chemical weapon attack at some point of their campaign? Could make for a very interesting campaign, to have part of it fought in NBC equipment. You could simulate what the US military has been fearing to happen in the Gulf War and in the Operation Iraqi Freedom. Make their fears come real in your game.

Now, that would indeed be interesting biggrin_o.gif

But in any terms that wouldn't be realistic i think because in anyone ones right mind that wouldn't work, who wants to fight constantly in a gas mask, not a full combat like Arma 2, sorry not agree with this topic but i don't think it would be a major selling point of the game, it would only perhaps be eye candy.

if BIS adds gasmasks, then im going to ask that they add glowsticks (that my be more usefull then the gasmasks), working firstaid kits, working cantene/hydration pack, and why not a rolled up sleeping bag in with the rest of your gear, so you can pull it out and take a nap when you go AFK.

The player should only be concerned with items that are limited/consumable (e.g. ammo) or have pros and cons associated with use (e.g. nightvision goggles). Everything else should be assumed -- one way or another.

Gas masks are a pointless thing for a player to choose to equip or remove. Wear it or die. It's a no-brainer choice -- you'd always wear it when the toxic gas threatens.

Something like nightvision goggles are different. If you wear it, you'll see better in the dark but you'll lose peripheral and depth vision. There's a valid choice to be made here, you could choose either option.

If you want to have gas masks or NBC gear they should exist as separate skins. For scenarios where they would be used, it should be assumed already that the soldiers are using them. It would be quite cool to have a mission where your squad is dressed in full NBC gear to tackle a suspected biological threat! biggrin_o.gif

I find it perplexing that, in the name of "simulation" and "realism" people want to force players to make mundane and obvious decisions. It would be like forcing a player to put on his boots and helmet.

why not a rolled up sleeping bag in with the rest of your gear, so you can pull it out and take a nap when you go AFK.

Ohhhh my god,are you serious? rofl.gif

I see we got some dudes from WoW here.:mock:

EDIT:But you know what? That would be really cool man,cuz BIS want to put some RPG elements to the game,so why not a sleeping bag.And the models are already done,from Queens Gambit. yay.gif

The player should only be concerned with items that are limited/consumable (e.g. ammo) or have pros and cons associated with use (e.g. nightvision goggles). Everything else should be assumed -- one way or another.

Gas masks are a pointless thing for a player to choose to equip or remove. Wear it or die. It's a no-brainer choice -- you'd always wear it when the toxic gas threatens.

Something like nightvision goggles are different. If you wear it, you'll see better in the dark but you'll lose peripheral and depth vision. There's a valid choice to be made here, you could choose either option.

If you want to have gas masks or NBC gear they should exist as separate skins. For scenarios where they would be used, it should be assumed already that the soldiers are using them. It would be quite cool to have a mission where your squad is dressed in full NBC gear to tackle a suspected biological threat! biggrin_o.gif

I find it perplexing that, in the name of "simulation" and "realism" people want to force players to make mundane and obvious decisions. It would be like forcing a player to put on his boots and helmet.

i couldnt agree more.

thats why this would be best as an addon, then take any much need development resouce from BIS that have so much more important and difficult tasks to accomplish.

frankly i have no clue as to why this thread is still open, maybe the mods are having a ball laughing at how rediculous some of the posts on here are. i know i am.

thats why this would be best as an addon, then take any much need development resouce from BIS that have so much more important and difficult tasks to accomplish.

frankly i have no clue as to why this thread is still open, maybe the mods are having a ball laughing at how rediculous some of the posts on here are. i know i am.

So give BIS more time,not 1 year to release but rather 2 years.I don't want to be a beta-tester again.I want 99% this time!We are paying for this game!

Take your time and think about it.We get a 1/4 of VBS2,ArmA version 1.0 was a beta,thats true.I'm so sure,i was playing with 15-25 frames with the 1.0 version.Since the 1.08 patch this game become really playable (okay,i got a new machine now,anyway...).I know,that's not the sense of this Thread.I don't mind if this game comes out in 2 years!This game must be a final this time,if not,i gonna play OFP2.

I bet OFP2 will be more beta than ArmA,this guys never made games like OFP,it was BIS.But anyway,there are more games like ArmA which are also playable.

Seriously? I think i will continue playing ArmA. I know my post sounds fun. rofl.gif

Well if you want to play OFP2 but that's your decision but that's not been made by bis its codemasters, i will stick with Arma2 since well bis all was come up with goods

Well if you want to play OFP2 but that's your decision but that's not been made by bis its codemasters, i will stick with Arma2 since well  bis all was come up with goods

Read my post again,and than edit yours please.wink_o.gif

i will leave my post as it thankyou

So give BIS more time,not 1 year to release but rather 2 years.I don't want to be a beta-tester again.I want 99% this time!We are paying for this game!

You're preaching to the choir. Everyone agrees that the developers should have enough time to finish and test their game.

If BIS said, "we want to take an extra 6 months to tune performance and fix some bugs," I think most people would think that is a good idea.

If BIS said, "we want to take an extra 6 months to implement gas-masks and chemical warfare simulation," I think most people would be unhappy. For as realistic as all that might be, it isn't a feature most people are interested in.

I knew someone comes up with what else is realistic. Great job soldier!

Not having a gasmask in ArmA 2 will leave out lots of possibilities for scenarios.

My arguments have nothing to do with a gasmask being sweet, nice, cool, etc. I'm looking at the functionality of a gasmask, really. And at what interesting scenarios it could make possible to create, even to the official campaign of ArmA 2.

Have the campaign designers of ArmA 2 considered having biological/chemical weapon attack at some point of their campaign? Could make for a very interesting campaign, to have part of it fought in NBC equipment. You could simulate what the US military has been fearing to happen in the Gulf War and in the Operation Iraqi Freedom. Make their fears come real in your game.

I'll thank you not to be condescending, Baddo.

At any rate, think that those first statements you made were in response to me commenting on David Armstrong.

Regarding the campaign and a chemical attack: The way you tell a story through production media is to first have a story and then find out what you need in order to successfully tell that story. Having a chem attack in the story for the sake of the gas mask experience is sort of backwards. If it was well done, it would be cool. If it was not, it would be some shit sequence that sticks out in everyone's minds as feeling tacked on. I distinctly remember a helicopter sequence in SoF2 where the player becomes the door gunner. It felt completely tagged on for the sake of it. It was really not worth the time they put into coding it. The reason I think it felt crappy was because it wasn't really written in to the script. The player was simply extracted via helicopter and they tagged on some bit where you shoot up some guys in some shack because some designer thought it would be cool. If the player was a door gunner and then the helicopter had to extract someone who was established earlier in the story, it probably would have had a better impact. The same goes with a chemical attack, if there was sufficient story to logically support a chemical attack, and the circumstances had sufficient emotional appeal, then such a thing would make sense.

Anyway..

Do everything you want guys! I'm out of the Thread,thats really doesn't make sense to discuss that anymore.

c ya on the battlefield.

Greetings

DaV!d Armstrong

...and why not a rolled up sleeping bag in with the rest of your gear, so you can pull it out and take a nap when you go AFK.

this made me laugh big time lol!

i totaly agree something that has no use should not be used at all the only way gasmasks could get in would like some short of the rainbox six tear grenades and all that stuff. Gasmasks would be cool for the models to wear (remember the marines in Half-Life?) but in terms of realism they are totaly useless.