Sign in to follow this  
canis lupus

Nam units

There I see my work. M1 helmet coverage and M69 Flack Vest.

nam10bx3.jpg

ar2mp3.jpg

Please of disuse my work made only to Vilas Vietnam pack. smile_o.gif -

@Yaciek

I wrote in the beginning that only the models are mine, I have no intention of disusing your work, I only used them as a color reference so that I could get a better look at what they need to look like, new textures are on the way so far I just only had the time to make the helmet...

I hope that everyone understood that I didn't make the textures, I really don't whant credit for something that I didn't do... so no hard feelings I hope...

another thing... wtf is this?!

wtfxj6.jpg

agamoth - i understood and all ok smile_o.gif - I invite for discussion about from vietnam GI here

Quote[/b] ]another thing... wtf is this?!

It in place stamp BIS where it is given signs of clans in game MP

well I solved it by retexturing it so it couldn't be seen, but why do the model need that stamp?

I was also woundering, the file is getting pretty big whenever the addons made sofar the one only containing new units anyway, is all arround 30-50MB or so, mine just hit 200MB am I doing something wrong?

Quote[/b] ] mine just hit 200MB am I doing something wrong?
- use BinPBO.exe from BIS Tool. After binarized and packing until PBO yours addon will be had toward 50-70 MB.

so I need to binarize the p3d files to get them smaller?

here is an example of the loose helmet

lhwk0.jpg

and some detail to one of the units, it's not a working weapon, the law is a slightly remodelled VTE weapon.

lsdf1.jpg

early war aircav who had leather combat boots by the way, I think the jungle boots were mostly for special forces,

OK, I was confused by the frag vest and the other strange

pieces of kit on the models.

Limited issues of M-1945 tropical combat boots (found in

stores and based on the M-1943 combat boots) were made

to USSF. Development of new tropical combat boots started

in 1955 and USSF and advisors in Vietnam wore test versions

of these in the 1960s. All those not issued with test boots

wore the M-1965 black leather combat boots. A standardised

tropical combat boot for everyone was officially approved in

January 1965 and an improved version was introduced in May

thanks for the the Info Col. Faulkner I'll need to remember that, as I plan to get the model and textures more historical corect once I get better at this, who knows maybe I'll actually learn how to make my own models...

could someone in short tell me how to get the helmet to be less shiny and more matt, Vilas talked about the rvmat file but I don't see what to change?

tommy??

The Tommygun man!

The M1A1 Thompson!

You have never seen "The Godfather"? The mob's caracteristic weapon.

After been seeing the vest for a while, i would be beter to have it plane in the back, but anyway, if you want do i, and if you don't, well, don't do it.

Oh and i didn't see the grenades in the soldiers, very good one.

thanks for the the Info Col. Faulkner I'll need to remember that, as I plan to get the model and textures more historical corect once I get better at this, who knows maybe I'll actually learn how to make my own models...

could someone in short tell me how to get the helmet to be less shiny and more matt, Vilas talked about the rvmat file but I don't see what to change?

Hi,

LinkerSplit made a good material editing tutorial, which explains how to create them and what most things mean. You can find it on this page, just scroll down to the materials section.

Tutorial

thanks I'll be sure to look into the tutorial when I get the time

@Benoist

the tommy is from VTE but there isn't much difference

early war aircav who had leather combat boots by the way, I think the jungle boots were mostly for special forces,

OK, I was confused by the frag vest and the other strange

pieces of kit on the models.

Limited issues of M-1945 tropical combat boots (found in

stores and based on the M-1943 combat boots) were made

to USSF. Development of new tropical combat boots started

in 1955 and USSF and advisors in Vietnam wore test versions

of these in the 1960s. All those not issued with test boots

wore the M-1965 black leather combat boots. A standardised

tropical combat boot for everyone was officially approved in

January 1965 and an improved version was introduced in May

I was going to say, I'm pretty sure soldiers of the 173rd Airborne and 101st Airborne had jungle boots at the very least.

here is an example of the loose helmet

Great looking helmet!smile_o.gif

Meantime still working on the flack vest. Feedbacks welcome:

nam02we8.th.jpg

looking very good plasman, it was exactly what I wanted on the helmet, and the vest looks great, is it supposed to look like a marine?

looking very good plasman, it was exactly what I wanted on the helmet, and the vest looks great, is it supposed to look like a marine?

Yes, I hope so. I'm just concentrating on the vest. I made a helmet just to check if the vest matched the helmet well. Personally I think your helmet cover is better than mine.

the helmet pattern is wrong but the matt effect is as it should be how did you do that?

I made the helmet look more rough but its still shiny

air1kl0.jpg

I also experimented with the back of the harness but as you can see its not going that well yet...

another detail I thought of was wet soldiers could this look like the soldiers lower leg is wet, it still needs to be a bit darker its hard to see but I'd like some feedback before I continue...

air2hv2.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528....MG]

Maybe your helmet problem comes from an unedited smdi file.

To avoid the shining helmet syndrome you need to edit the corresponding smdi texture: just darken the pink color to purple.

You'll also need to edit the corresponding .rvmat file (but you know the drill already I guess).

smdi files end by _smdi.paa. Example: np_soldier_steelhelmet_smdi for the OPFOR rifleman.

If you've done it already another solution is to increase the saturation of your texture. You can also apply a grey or light brown layer.

crazy_o.gif

What are those two "tentacles" that come out from the bags?

Anyway, nice detail the "Lucky Strikers" in the helmet.

the tentacles is the strings that the bag is hanging on, or so it should look like when they are done, but I can't get them right, they keep moving arround when the soldier moves and then move in and out of the model, looks very bad, the unit in the picture is the first test, if I walk slowly with the weapon down, the strings will actually be in the right place...

I tried editing the smdi file making it more purple with the effect that it was actually really shining with sun reflection, looked really cool, if it had been a steel helmet, so I need to remember it but the purple thing didn't help, or is it the rvmat file that needs to be edited in this case, and what exactly is it in that file I need to change I can't seem to figure it out...

a little update:

-removed all borrowed textures and replced them with my own unfinished ones, making them slightly darker green and making sure the vest and rest of the uniform the same green.

-making the sidepockets on the pants wider, different on every unit

-made the vest almot disapear on one of the units, not finished but it looks more and more like his only wearing a jacket

I also made a little video showing them in action I'll post it sometime soon...

I tried editing the smdi file making it more purple with the effect that it was actually really shining with sun reflection, looked really cool, if it had been a steel helmet, so I need to remember it but the purple thing didn't help, or is it the rvmat file that needs to be edited in this case, and what exactly is it in that file I need to change I can't seem to figure it out...

Yes you need to edit the rvmat file as well, otherwise ArmA will use the default (shiny) texture instead of your edited one. You need to change the path to your edited smdi.paa file in the rvmat file (you can use the notepad to do it).

PS: Actually when I said "purple" I should have rather said "dark purple" a bit like the Burgundy color.

Are you still interested in my flack vest ?

allright I'll try it again, must get it right sooner or later...

and yes... actually I need the vest...

and yes... actually I need the vest...

OK what I can propose is to make available to you the _Co.tga (regular texture) and _nohq.tga (normal map) files via Filefront (I will pm you the link tomorrow).

I think it would be better to have the _co.tga in greyscale so you could color it as you like. But I will also include my own colored vest.

To make the normal map texture you need to edit the path to the _nohq texture (just as for the regular texture) and to edit the corresponding rvmat file, generaly for the vest/legs and arms it is called nameofthesoldier_body.rvmat. open this file with notepad and edit the path to your _nohq file.

As I'm working on Paint Shop Pro my normal map is rather crude (those lucky Photoshop users can use a normal mapping pluggin). SO if you have Photoshop I think you can really improve the _nohq file.

sounds good plasman I'll see what I can do with them...

its been hanging in the air since the beggining that the models would be used in the VTE mod but now its for sure, they will not be released as stand alone mod they will be used in VTE...

If I used the helmet model from QG but nothing else, will the addon require QG to run?