Sign in to follow this  
code-red

firing mode bug ?

Did any one else notice that your firing mode switches back to default after using your binoculars?

Going into a close fight i like to set my firing mode to full or burst, but i use my binoculars a lot when moving around.

So all of a sudden my rifle is on songle shot again when i meet some enemies around a corner.

This is very inconvenient in the middle of some fights.

I am sure this can be easely fixed cause this is not right.

Thank you.

You're using binoculars, in a CQB situation? I wont argue the fact that the point you raise is a valid issue that probably needs addressing, however I should also point out your flawed tactics wink_o.gif

Did any one else notice that your firing mode switches back to default after using your binoculars?

smile_o.gif

Going into a close fight i like to set my firing mode to full or burst, but i use my binoculars a lot when moving around.

So all of a sudden my rifle is on songle shot again when i meet some enemies around a corner.

This is very inconvenient in the middle of some fights.

I am sure this can be easely fixed cause this is not right.

Thank you.

yeah? I hate that but really, if you have to use binoculars, you've moved too quickly and haven't properly asessed the situation. One suggestion is to have Ai cover you (as you would have your team cover you on a battlefield) and then pull out your binoculars.

Know what I hate more than that? Different soldiers (addons) and how some are default run, some are default walk, some slow walk by pressing the shift button, some fast walk, you can toggle the fast/slow but then you'll be standing by a corner thinkin sh**, did I toggle it? Am I gonna run out into gunfire? I just wanna edge up! I'll try just edgin...BAM I'm dead because it was on run instead of walk!

rofl.gif

what i hate more is when crawling close to enemy, u suddenly push

w too fast (double tap) and the poor soldiers takes a sprint into the death sad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gif

I think it is strange that my weapon changes firing mode by it self.

It should stay on the setting it was last on. help.gif

Naah. Haven't bothered me ever. And to me it's easy to remember that after binocs switch firemode back to full, if it's my intention to be using that.

In other games i'm actaully always messing with my firemode bacause of this. Basically always checking that it's there where it should.

What about this:

You are about to do car patrol thru the city. To be prepared you switch your weapon to full auto. You jump in a car and you encounter enemy and you get under fire so you quickly jump out of the car to take cover behind it. Suddenly an enemy rushes you so you aim your weapon at him and press the trigger. Guess what, instead of BANG-BANG-BANG you'll do simple BANG, because your fire-mode switched to default and because of the situation you forgot to check you fire-mode.

Re: -Puma-: Remove action "Evasive forward" or assign it to a different key.

Once when we were playing mission with scouting position on roofs half of our team got killed by sprinting of the roof. The second half just crippled their legs so they had to crawl thru the rest of the mission...

What about this:

You are about to do car patrol thru the city. To be prepared you switch your weapon to full auto. You jump in a car and you encounter enemy and you get under fire so you quickly jump out of the car to take cover behind it. Suddenly an enemy rushes you so you aim your weapon at him and press the trigger. Guess what, instead of BANG-BANG-BANG you'll do simple BANG, because your fire-mode switched to default and because of the situation you forgot to check you fire-mode.

Once when we were playing mission with scouting position on roofs half of our team got killed by sprinting of the roof. The second half just crippled their legs so they had to crawl thru the rest of the mission...

ahh cheers i knew there was an keybind for it somewhere. does that remove sprinting allso???

Nope, sprint will still work.

However, you won't be able to print from prone position - you'll have to stand up first. That's why my evasive forward is assigned to W+backslash key, which is located between left shift and Z (on English keyboard) on my keyboard.

What about this:

Well... Same thing with that too. If you want burst or fullauto: Switch it to that. I never had problem with that and i'm always assuming that my firemode is on single or on something that it shouldn't be.

Same thing in IRL: always making sure that firemode is what i want it to be: safety, single or fullauto. wink_o.gif

But i'm not saying that it would be good. Only thing i'm saying is that i've got used to it and it doesn't get me to grappy situations.

ps. You can pretend that while you were jumping out from car something snapped selector to singleshot... whistle.gif (i'm joking)

EDIT: I do agree that it is not that easy thing for someones to remember and ArmA could remember firemodes.

Stop lambasting the original poster. The firemode status is not saved under certain circumstances. It could be better. Period. Is it a bug? More like a lack of attention to detail on the part of the developers. Is it a big deal? Not usually, but it would be unarguably better if the fire mode state was saved when switching back and forth from binoculars.

Done.

The firemode status is not saved under certain circumstances. It could be better. Period.

That's what i'm trying to say. I can live with it without stress. To someones it (the "feature") offers quite deal of frusturation. It could be better, no argues there. Perioid. (Am i making myself clear for a change?)

I'm not trying to lambast original poster but the opposite. (Am i making myself clear for a change?)

What about this:

That kind of scenario is exactly what is so frustrating about fire mode switching back.

yeah i experience those things too but i rarely use the binocs and its only after i disembark cars but in evo when there is tons of enemies its just better to use single fire to conserve ammo.

Drive by's is fun! biggrin_o.gif driving around and then finding soldiers stopping by them quickly out of the car and shooting them rofl.gif

Only thing is that that doesnt work to well on vehicles or larger squads of infantery... crazy_o.gifpistols.gif

If I would be using binoculars in a real situation, having my assault rifle ready to fire (not on a safe), I would flip the safety back on before swinging my gun to my back and taking out the binoculars. It makes sure that the gun don't fire accidentally hurting me, or my team mates.

Now since the safety and fire selection is usually(?) in a same switch, doesn't it make sense that when you switch back to the weapon after the binocs, you flip safety off and usually the first selection is the semiauto in the switch ?

So, to me, it is not a bug. I haven't paid any attention to this happening in ArmA though.

KimTuomi actually makes a very good point.

Whenever you're doing most of the actions described in this "bug", you as a soldier would almost certainly switch your weapon's safety on to avoid shooting yourself in the foot/discharging inside the car etc. In fact, as many of you have complained about, when moving around normally without contact, you should have your safety on!

So why not consider it your soldier-avatar's automatic use of the safety switch, and then the automatic return to "single fire" mode (which is, AFAIK, the 'default' mode of most rifles)?

The one thing I can understand is, I suppose, the binoculars. However, I'm guessing good protocol would be to turn on the safety in anywhich case. I'm guessing it's an engine thing though, since binoculars are considered "weapons". Then again, maybe BIS could make binoculars work more like NVgoggles in that regard. smile_o.gif

Kind regards,

Wolfrug

If I would be using binoculars in a real situation, having my assault rifle ready to fire (not on a safe), I would flip the safety back on before swinging my gun to my back and taking out the binoculars. It makes sure that the gun don't fire accidentally hurting me, or my team mates.

Now since the safety and fire selection is usually(?) in a same switch, doesn't it make sense that when you switch back to the weapon after the binocs, you flip safety off and usually the first selection is the semiauto in the switch ?

So, to me, it is not a bug. I haven't paid any attention to this happening in ArmA though.

Are you trained to do this or is this just your opinion? If its the last case then IMO it should be fixed, but classed as a low priority issue. (Though personnally i havent really noticed this, subconsiously i automatically return to my old fire mode or something tounge2.gif )

Actually in ArmA you don't put your gun on your back when using binoculars. You let it hang on invisible weapon swing.

If I should do this (let the gun hang) in real life I wouldn't feel any need to switch the gun on safety, since most of the guns shouldn't fire unless you press the trigger. Well, I'm not a soldier so this is just my opinion, but I doubt it's supposed to be a feature.

Whether it's a feature per say I don't know, it's just the way the gameplay works, not a big problem nor a bug. All this talk about pretending the safety's on is just a method to mentally explain and work around your problem.

It's second nature for trained soldiers always to index their finger, never point the muzzle at something you're not willing to destroy and switch on/off the safety when it's required. Accidental discharges are a result of reckless and negligent behaviour and are very dangerous to yourself and friendlies. You train repeatedly to an extend where your muscles instinctiually should remember your safety. Your weapon should be secured when you're inside a vehicle or when you take your hands off it. If you're expecting to encounter a close contact you should not let go of your weapon and switch to binoculars, unless you have backups covering your position.

Safety first!

Actually in ArmA you don't put your gun on your back when using binoculars. You let it hang on invisible weapon swing.

If I should do this (let the gun hang) in real life I wouldn't feel any need to switch the gun on safety, since most of the guns shouldn't fire unless you press the trigger. Well, I'm not a soldier so this is just my opinion, but I doubt it's supposed to be a feature.

Having served in the british army I can tell you that if you pointed a live weapon at someone you'd likely get a rap around the noggin for it (if ur lucky). Letting a live weapon swing freely is against safety protocols and you would always put the weapon on safety when not firing it. However, when in the field these protocols can be forgotten so it's not a "yes, definitely every soldier makes their weapon safe", because some don't and that's when accidents happen. With training you learn to pop it on/off without thinking about it.

Someone forgot to put their safety on once as we were returning from patrol. He was back at camp and meant to be guarding the approach but accidentally discharged his rifle. Good job it was just training because the weapon was pointed in our general direction.

I notice that people tend to accidentally fire off their weapon in game. Great way to kill your friends and/or make yourself noticed (as is true in the real world). I always rest my finger on the mouse wheel until I need to fire as a few times my finger has slipped and I've popped off a round.

I can't stand when someone is pointing a raised weapon at me in game, because you absolutely know he's also resting his finger on the left mouse button.

Yes, you definitely have a point there.

But there comes the game limitation. As you said, in real life you do it almost automatically, but in game it's different. IRL you can just jump out of the car, quickly get out and switch off the safety, but in game you have to think about stuff like "which key is for crouch and where's the F key now ?"

BTW: I never leave my finger on LMB, but on mouse wheel or on left side of the button.

Having to think about the key is just an indication that one hasn't played the game enough to get 2nd-nature with the controls.

It's certainly a good argument that the soldier did his muscle-memory put-the-weapon-on-safety when doing an action such as using binoculars or riding in a car and then returned to a dangerous fire mode when it was over.

However, the idea that an ArmA character would "auto-safety" and then always return from safety to semi, even if it was on auto or burst before is nonsensical. Automatically changing the user's fire mode in this manner is needlessly esoteric and confusing.

Again, I am curious why anyone would defend this game mechanic behavior when it most clearly is a design oversight and not an intended feature. No BI developer would try to justify that behavior as if it was a feature not a simple oversight in game design.

Are you trained to do this or is this just your opinion? If its the last case then IMO it should be fixed, but classed as a low priority issue. (Though personnally i havent really noticed this, subconsiously i automatically return to my old fire mode or something tounge2.gif )

It doesn't matter whether your trained or not, it's common sense and safety in MY OPINION.

In a conflict, if you hurt yourself or your fellow squad mate, you'd be effectively taking out 1-3 of your squad; yourself and one or two others to carry you to safety and get you treated for wound.

In AK-47 and variants, for instance, the fire selector is on safe when ever it is on top of the selection group. When you are ready to fire, you flip it to the most bottom selection, enabling semi-auto firing which is the most effective in almost every situation. If need be, you flip it one notch towards the top and you have full-auto.

Have you ever tried shooting full-auto fire against a target which is 5 meters away? I have. First 3 hit in the tree trunk, other 7 or so went completely off the target. We were trained to use the full-auto only in confined spaces when most of the rounds can hit the target; for instance, room clearing in buildings. You grenade the room, enter it and fire a burst of fire inside.

AK47 fire selector:

fireselect.jpg

M4/M16 fire selector:

surviv11.gif

... and please, do not point out the AK is from airsoft weapon. It's perfect replica in that sense.

One more link to MP5 and variants fire selector:

MP5 selector

The point is, it's not too much of a burden to flip the switch and get back shooting. That's why there should be no reason to use the safety.

How would you like it if you put your weapon on safe "in real life" and find out, after beeing in a car, that it jumped back to fire mode ?

The switch should stay in the position that it was left in.