Sign in to follow this  
Yoma

Restrict mods used serverside?

Hi,

After just having seen the gazillionth server crashing due to "I don't give a damn if i crash this server I'm using XAM anyway" pistols.gif attitudes of certain players I started wondering:

Is there a way for server admins to do stuff like:

-allow certain mods

-tell that certain addons are required

If there isn't, the geniousses at Bis should really consider a white/required addonlist kind of trick because it's really wrecking public server play.

There could even be nice opportunities in it to promote communities.

Wouldn't it be great to

-have a "server addonlist" url that pops up if you don't have the correct addons, this could be done in about 4 lines of code (open default browser, add parameter to serverconfig where server admins could put an url to a page containing the downloadable packages and explanation to install them)

-Get some kind of report that lists what you have installed that's allowed, what you require and is missing and what you've loaded that's not allowed.

Sure it wouldn't stop everything, but it would stop nonmalicious users from accidently connecting with the wrong addons and crashing our precious beauty.

Another major benefit would be that it would simplify the support for serveradmins and rule out a lot of nagging going around.

Of course i can go out on private servers and have a lot less trouble with it, but i like to make a public stroll now and then.

Have a nice day

Regarding your XAM question (and pssibly other "non allowed addons") have a look at this topic:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....85;st=0

Its the Global server config by Doolittle, on page 2 its shows how you could be able to stop XAM users from joining your server.

A mod that modifies a lot of ArmA to improve it or add features. I know it had problems in the past where it would crash the server after some time due to some features not being compatible with non-using XAM users/servers.

Others may also think it can give advantages, so most people don't like it unless others are using it.

XAM Thread : http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=66235

Its still a current problem with XAM, and the effects felt by the server & non Xam players styart to happen in under 60 sec.

I really do not understand this problem. If you don't want them to use and addon/mod then require signatures. I guess if signatures had been in there from the start, people wouldn't think that they could use anything, client-side, that they wanted, but you can't and you shouldn't. Most other MP games do not allow this and many of them are "PURE".

I would like to know how this wouldn't fix the problem as I may be ignorant in this area.

--Ben

Maybe they don't want to restrict players from using soundmods (such as Chammy's or FDF) ?

Regarding your XAM question (and pssibly other "non allowed addons") have a look at this topic:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....85;st=0

Its the Global server config by Doolittle, on page 2 its shows how you could be able to stop XAM users from joining your server.

Did anyone read that thread. It has the solution to stopping XAM mod only.

Did anyone see benreeper's response?? I completely glossed over it before because I didn't understand the technology... but why not do what he suggests and set verifySignatures on and don't have the XAM key in your key directory?? This way is much nicer than my scripting way. If I had known about this I wouldn't have scripted the other way.

And if people want to use some other sound mod, then do you need to have the sound mod addon on your server or could you just put the addon's key in your key directory?

Doolittle

Quote[/b] ]do you need to have the sound mod addon on your server or could you just put the addon's key in your key directory?

Good question

Answer no mods needed on the server just key file.

Most games don't allow running anything client-side that you want . This wasn't as big a problem in OFP because most cheaters like to "drop" into a game, ruin it and leave. They couldn't do this in OFP (no JIP). From what I've seen on this board, no one has really used "verifysignatures" yet.

BIS has implemented something that most MP games have (think "Pure" servers also) and that OFP didn't need. Players have to know that the policy is that you cannot have any addon that you want activated when you join a server. You need a clean game or equal mod that the server is running. It will restrict your freedom but that's just like it is in real life. Heck in Battlefield 2 you need a full mod to have anything different. This is the direction that ArmA should go in.

--Ben

That's our server.cfg:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hostname="[ 2ndTry ]";

passwordAdmin="...";

password="...";

motd[]=

{

"2ndTry Server - hosted by painFac"

};

motdInterval=7;

voteThreshold=0.50;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

equalModRequired=0;

verifySignatures=1;

RegularCheck="{}";

onHackedData="kick (_this select 0)";

onDifferentData="{}";

//onDifferentData = "kick (_this select 0)";

checkfiles[]={"dta\core.pbo","dta\bin.pbo"};

kickduplicate=1;

disableVON=1;

vonCodecQuality=1;

logFile="server_console.log";

reportingIP="armedass.master.gamespy.com";

MaxMsgSend=128;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;

MinErrorToSend=0.01;

MinBandwidth=131072;

MaxBandwidth=;

MaxCustomFileSize=50000;

maxPlayers=64;

persistent=1;

For more info see here.

Why do you have checkFiles if verifySignatures is on? That should cover it & checkFiles isn't needed anymore. (I'm guessing)

Q, what addons does the server have and what keys do you have?

<s>The dta folder contains no *bisign files.</s>

<s>That's why we added these two.</s>

<s>Not sure if its necessary.</s>

<s>However a dude was able to join last time with a modified

dta\bin.pbo and checkfile made a text message appear in the chat.</s>

Server's key files:

ArmA/Keys/bi.bikey

ArmA/Keys/eucl.bikey

Client doesn't have to have key files (AFAIK).

Client and server bisign files:

ArmA/Addons/*.bi.bisign for all core ArmA.pbos.

ArmA/@ECL/Addons/*.eucl.bisign for all ECL.pbos.

PS:

Our server is a passworded league only server.

Dta folder DO contain BI signature files 2 bi.bisigns there for core and bin.

Yupp. You are correct crawler75! smile_o.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">onDifferentData="{}";

That made him not kicked I think.

So checkfiles[] should not be necessary.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">checkfiles[]={};

Our server.cfg is now changed. We will see how it turns out.