Sign in to follow this  
-AIF- Kris

Band Of Brothers Mod

I can't really see how telling us that the models look like crap is constructive but putting that aside... to answer your question the plan is to make it in phases, just like the different faces of Band of brothers... and th 101st and the 82nd acctually did look a lot different the 82nd had a lot more baggy uniforms, thats why the 82nd models might look a bit odd...

Hey,you guys made some progress and wanted to show some stuff,thats a good thing,and if some things arn't quite right,I'm sure you already know about it,no need for excuses,the more you do these things the better you'll get,everyone has to start somewhere.You cannot tell fully without the textures,but some pics over at aa.info show some textured stuff,and it isn't all that bad.So...feel good,cause it's coming along steadily and enjoy it for the fun.

Hey,you guys made some progress and wanted to show some stuff,thats a good thing,and if some things arn't quite right,I'm sure you already know about it,no need for excuses,the more you do these things the better you'll get,everyone has to start somewhere.You cannot tell fully without the textures,but some pics over at aa.info show some textured stuff,and it isn't all that bad.So...feel good,cause it's coming along steadily and enjoy it for the fun.

Thanks for the Advice smile_o.gif and yea i just posted them to keep you guys updated.

Kris.

Thanks Jojimbo,

If anyone knows what they're talking about in WW2 modding it's you

notworthy.gif

Good to see you around still,

Enigma

Quote[/b] ]I can't really see how telling us that the models look like crap is constructive

It's fair - thus constructive. Mehman even managed to point problem areas on this drafts, i would be thankfull in your place. And i'm definitely sure it's bad idea to start two models at one with your current skills wink_o.gif If you interested in my opinion i suggest your to make man reskins as a start and start learning on weapons/vehicle models - it's just a lot simplier.

yes he pointed out the problem areas out and thats fine it was just the choise of words that was bad we pointed out that the model were not done yet, no where near done... infact the german units are only a very few days old but that didn't seem to have any affect... its a discussion thread if you want to complain about the models not being properly finished, wait for the release...

anyways it would be not to keep this discussion up or else it will just turn bad...

so please keep to the mod it self and please keep constructive...

here's my progress on the smock so far...

It might let you sleep better at night to know that I'm not in charge of the textures...

My pc has some problems with screenshots for some reason so you'll have to forgive the poor quality

smock2aw9.jpg

Hey Kris, I got your email, and sure I'll be a part of it, just send me what to do and I will do my best towards it smile_o.gif

That 101st model looks like crap

Well thankyou mehman, first human model I've ever made, and when it gets EARLY state WP, its called crap. This really cheers me up dude... sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]and when it gets EARLY state WP, its called crap

If you won't listen - it will be called crap when in its final -Do you think its better ? wink_o.gif

you still don't get it... critisism is always well come, but If you can't keep it in a civil language they are not welcome...

I won't mind if I get a comments telling me my models are all wrong and I need to do them again as long as I'm told with at least some respect...

and I'll try one last time we know the models needs improvements we are working on it.

I agree.

It's not personal, but the model it's not waht we can say "beautiful".

yes he pointed out the problem areas out and thats fine it was just the choise of words that was bad we pointed out that the model were not done yet, no where near done... infact the german units are only a very few days old but that didn't seem to have any affect... its a discussion thread if you want to complain about the models not being properly finished, wait for the release...

anyways it would be not to keep this discussion up or else it will just turn bad...

It might let you sleep better at night to know that I'm not in charge of the textures...

My pc has some problems with screenshots for some reason so you'll have to forgive the poor quality

Well now is the time to improve them not when they are finished, now if you scrap a large part it won't be that noticable, than when you finish it and you have to go through a whole big process again.

As for the screenshots, before you take them max out your ArmA settings and then run bulldozer and take a screen. Otherwise a lot of details that were made in the high res texture get lost.

Also, is it just me or has the UVW map been stretched a lot on the bottom part? Could be just the sample that was used to make it.

Quote[/b] ]Well thankyou mehman, first human model I've ever made, and when it gets EARLY state WP, its called crap. This really cheers me up dude...

Don't take it so rough, you're getting it easy compared to my start. You're just starting modeling, so you see it's not that easy. It takes a while before you get good at it.

To give you a more indetail crit: the webbing looks more like boxes put together, I guess you're playing with primitive shapes for now? Did you try the insert vertex and make face method? I think this would be better, it would give better results. You insert a vert using insert and make a face with a minimum of three selected verts and you press F6 I believe.

It's more effective than modifying boxes to fit your needs.

can you be more precise Benoist I know some of the earlier screens are not to good but if you look at the collar on the 101 model thats not bad work at all and the cantine I just showed you won't get much better, appart from the sharp edges I forgot to mention that...

something odd is going on here, I posted right after Benoist but MehMan's got inbetween... I belive it has happened one time earlier today... or is it just by me it looks like that?

@MehMan

thanks this was much better, I didn't realize that the game settings had any effect on Bulldozer, not that much anyway so next screen will look better...

by the streched part do you mean the textures on the smock sample screen, if it is its because I made the textures and I don't know how to...

about the boxes and simple shapes, you are right, I'm over that part now though, as you can see on the cantine there's quite a difference between the new details and the rest of the model... so I really just need to take more time when I'm making them

Well now is the time to improve them not when they are finished, now if you scrap a large part it won't be that noticable, than when you finish it and you have to go through a whole big process again.

As for the screenshots, before you take them max out your ArmA settings and then run bulldozer and take a screen. Otherwise a lot of details that were made in the high res texture get lost.

Also, is it just me or has the UVW map been stretched a lot on the bottom part? Could be just the sample that was used to make it.

Quote[/b] ]Well thankyou mehman, first human model I've ever made, and when it gets EARLY state WP, its called crap. This really cheers me up dude...

Don't take it so rough, you're getting it easy compared to my start. You're just starting modeling, so you see it's not that easy. It takes a while before you get good at it.

To give you a more indetail crit: the webbing looks more like boxes put together, I guess you're playing with primitive shapes for now? Did you try the insert vertex and make face method? I think this would be better, it would give better results. You insert a vert using insert and make a face with a minimum of three selected verts and you press F6 I believe.

It's more effective than modifying boxes to fit your needs.

Thanks mehman, now improving the model the way u told me to. wink_o.gif

new progress on the german units

smockties2mx4.jpg

it looks a little sharp and edgy but I assure you thats the screenshot not the model

Looking Good Agamoth, Mehman Replyed to your Message.

Updates week:

German Paratroopers

101st Paratroopers

Browning .30 Calibre M1919A4

You are going to do Bastogne or not for now?

For now we are sticking with Normandy but we will get to Bastogne smile_o.gif. We are going to be doing the Mod in Phases kind of like the series (Normandy, Market Garden, Bastogne). Hope that has answered your question.

New Member of the team:

Wiggles - 3d Artist

I'm personally looking much forward to the bastogne, the winter clothing will be a challenge and giving that we need to complete the otherfaces first it should just give us the skill to make it at that point...

quick question can too many details on the models end up with performance issues, I know there's a limit, I made a bullet that was so perfectly shaped that you needed to look really really close to see the edges of the faces, arma didn't like that one but what I mean is stuff like this:

bootrk5.jpg

You should get inspiration from the released BIS MLOD models. Try to stay within their facecount or not much higher. And the details you have on your boots are imho a bit too much, one detailed soldier model on the scene is not a problem but with a platoon of such models you'll lose FPS

Exactly, there's no need to model the shoe laces, you can normal map them.

ofcourse we can, I would just like to test this to see how detailed we can acctually make this... the boot here is just a test model to see how it would look if we had the laces on, its way more important to make these fine details on the equipment and weapons, if anything I would rather have details like this on the helmet but its a little more difficult to make.

just tested them... no lag but then again arma is a lot different on our computers, mine is in the lower end of the performance, but its all in a testing phase right now so we'll see what this leads to

just tested them... no lag but then again arma is a lot different on our computers, mine is in the lower end of the performance, but its all in a testing phase right now so we'll see what this leads to

I don't think your quite understanding what the above posters are meaning.   I'm still a beginner myself, so you can take this how you will but.. like TheSun said, its nothing to do with adding just one unit, but when you start a large battle with 70 vs 70 or whatever.  

Every extra polygon you add to one unit, adds up when you actually play with them.   For example those boot lances together, l would guess are about ~150 polys.  

Times that by even 60 and you have an extra 9,000 of them and I really don't think anyone would notice features like that while playing.

Just remember to ask yourself, will people really notice this if I model it, or can it just be normal mapped.  Anyway good luck, I think you are doing well.