Sign in to follow this  
ricbar89

Elite player looking to get the pc version

I have had Elite for ages and i absolutely love it, apart from a few drawbacks (mainly the view distance) i have played it like hell.

Im now looking to get the pc version (only so many times you can take out the same old BMP with the same old LAW) and mod it up but i have alot of questions.  My first concern is the version, im thinking of getting this GOTY version:

http://www.play.com/Games....ct.html

But after all thse years and changes i am worried about whether all mod are going to work.  I have purchased Gold or GOTY versions in the past only to discover thet fundamental changes in the programming due to expansions etc means that most mods wont work.  Is this the case with Flashpoint?

But whats also real important to me is whether my PC can handle this game with mods and it decent to high setting, i know it old but the mods seem to take alot more.  Here my specs:

2500 AMD Athlon

1 Gig of ram

128 Radeon FX2000

That ok to run mods, and perhaps maxed out?

The main mod im interested in if FFUR, but i have questions about that.  What i want to know is this a complete update.  I mean new graphics, up to date weapons, equipment and uniforms? O and is this FFUR this is the kinda look and sounds im going for:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vWzi5pHkSrA

And im looking for it to be something like this (amazing how well the modders have done with this game)

dxdshot1144955340.jpg

Im also interested in a Vietnam mod, i have seen Experience Vietnam and this looks great, is this the mod the most complete?  And does anyone know the latest version of this. Theres so many different version of thing after this many years its hard to know where to start.

Another question i have is concerning mods again, how do you activate them , im guessing a mod like FFUR have there own shortcut created on the desktop, but if i install say "custom iraqi army and tanks addon" how to i activate and deactivate it?  Is there some king of generic mod enabler?

Thanks...

Wow someone wants to buy OFP? That's nice to see in these days. Ok so let's try and answer you-

1) Essential sites-

To download Mods/Addons and the such go to www.ofp.info

To download editing tutorials and for reviewed custom missions/campaigns go to www.OFPEC.com

2)Your PC is better than mine, your'e OK but may have lag with high end mods if you have a lot of bots at the same time/place.

3)Most mods have a mod folder. You run it with the -mod=folder name parameter in your desktop shortcut.

List of popular mods-

FFSX2007 v2.5 (Allows to play original missions with modern soldiers and equipment)

Note- That's an earlier FFSX (FFUR) mod version in your movie with a great custom Iraq island by the "Iraq: unexpected circumstances" team.

FDF (Finnish mod+desert+WWII, considered a classic by many)

CSLA 2.20 (Czech Mod, cold war and modern+desert)

WGL 5.12 (Wargames, the most realistic mod)

Tonal/Tonal Redux (African civil war, Redux is the new version with better graphics)

VTE 0.4 (The most complete Vietnam mod)

Jungle Fever (Smaller but beautiful Vietnam mod)

Liberation 41-45 (The principle east front WWII Mod)

Invasion 44 (The principle west front WWII Mod)

4) Enjoy OFP!

GOTY edition is perfect. All mods and addons work.

make sure its GOTY and nothing less tounge2.gif

FFSX2 ( The newest 'FFUR' ) rules.

With your PC is should run pretty smooth... Hopefully nener.gif

Thanks for the replies smile_o.gif

The mods to this game are awesome, im kicking myself for not getting the pc version earlier, but seeing screen shots of the original unmodded game i have to say put me off.

Thanks for answering my questions, but i got a few more.  Mainly what are the limits for building missio, i mean number of units per mod.  It was pretty low on Elite, i can understand the reason of stopping to many things in one place, but if you wanted to make a Black Op mission you want patrols ect all of the place not about 20 guys and the odd BMP! confused_o.gif Can this be increased with a mod or changing files?  Or is the stock amount satisfactory?

Also do airstrikes work with this game?  I have seen some amazing footage on YouTube of a napalm strike in Vietnam the experience (think thats right) and was wondering if you can call em in or if you just give the jets a target to destroy in editor.  In elite getting an A10 to drop it LGB was nearly impossible, didnt happen unless the circumstances were absolutely perfect?

O yea and the view distance? is it satisfactory, if you want more units in Elite, less view distance.  Means getting used to fighting in the fog alot. biggrin_o.gif

Thanks for all the help, i gota lot of Downloading to do before i get this, non of the mods seem over 700mb which is perfect.

And one other thing, whats SLX, looks awesome, can i intall it with FFUR, are they compatable?

Hi guys im also thinking of getting the game does the GOTY edition come with the red hammer campaign and what mod is it in the picture ricbar89 posted?

Malik, as said, get the GOTY. It has all the "official" stuff, apart from patch 1.96; CWC, Red Hammer (those two forming the Gold edition) and Resistance. The mod in the picture is some of the (newer) FFUR/FFSX series, I think, modified from CameronMcDonalds 101st Airbornes (they do actually have the Eagle patch).

As for the number of units (i.e. a BMP and tanks have a crew of 3, so it's 3 units; for M113 it's 2, for jeep 1 etc.) you can have ingame... 4 sides, 63 squads per side, 12 units per squad. 3042 units, in total, plus all the objects and such things "not alive". I've made few very simple missions where you have a dozen Russian squads coming at you and you have shitloads of ammo... biggrin_o.gif With big-ish firefight missions there might be 6-10 squads (up to about 150) of units around at the same time.

View distance... default at 900 (effectively you see about 650-700 metres), you can set it between 500 to 5000 meters from the settings.

Airstrikes... depends. I've seen planes dropping bombs and otherwise engaging ground targets. Once I was fooling around in the editor, and just squared up my Elcan towards a... ummmm... Somali rebel who was pointing his AKM at me... suddenly the whole scope got filled with orange. Napalm strike. tounge2.gif If you want planes to strike a specific, especially one specified ingame, target, it usually requires few scripts or atleast triggers. They shouldn't be too hard to do, atleast in their simplest forms, though.

Oh and there are few mods at around 1 GB or more I think... wink_o.gif

"As for the number of units (i.e. a BMP and tanks have a crew of 3, so it's 3 units; for M113 it's 2, for jeep 1 etc.) you can have ingame... 4 sides, 63 squads per side, 12 units per squad. 3042 units, in total, plus all the objects and such things "not alive". I've made few very simple missions where you have a dozen Russian squads coming at you and you have shit loads of ammo...   With big-ish firefight missions there might be 6-10 squads (up to about 150) of units around at the same time."

Awesome!  Thats frikin amazing compared to elite, so let me get this right, it not how many people you have but sqauds?  So 63 Sqauds of 12!!!  If that is right, amazing!  And how can you have four sides?  I mean West, East and Resistance?  What else, Civillian? O yea and does adding objects like tent, flags, fires etc take points, they did in elite, put me of adding camps and decent road blocks for my black op misions, or making a decent base for my mission starting point.

This just keeps getting better.  The thing with Elite is you get like 7300 points, no matter what side it is they take a certain amount of points , thus you could only have 3 side if they were tiny.  So i guess ill now be able to add civilians and spread my missions out a bit. pistols.gif

Its actually really weird in Elite, a single person is i think 100 points but a tank with crew is 150 odd?  Meaning you can have Huge tank battles but very little foot soldiers or aircraft (there expensive to).  Must be something to do with what the Xbox can handle.  I should put tons of tanks in, tell em all to get out, and have a huge firefight.

And btw why do you say "effectively you see about 650-700 metres", does the frame rate drop after that?  So keep it about there,  or you only actually notice or units only render at that distance if the setting higher.

Thanks for answering the questions, i know im asking alot lol tounge2.gif

I have another question im gonna play the game with Kegetys dll will it work with FFUR and does this mod and new skies?

Should do. DxDll itself doesn't add any new skies IIRC, but there are few packs around for that.

Ricbar, well, there are no "points"... it's really limited by your PC and own liking. You'll know when you have too much objects when your game runs at very low FPS or you have a CTD (Crash To Desktop). tounge2.gif Yeah, it's limited by squads - you can have a total of 63 squads per side, and each squad holds a maximum of 12 soldiers. Although if you add 70 individual soldiers without grouping them, you'll either have to delete a few or group them together with the small cyan lines. wink_o.gif As for the viewing distance, it's the "fog of war" - with the default view distance, you can see an object from around 700 metres, but after that a single soldier just... isn't visible. Depends on the weather though; in a rainy night might just be that you simple can't see shit.

And one other thing, whats SLX, looks awesome, can i intall it with FFUR, are they compatable?

WHY?!

FFSX is both of them combined together flawlessly already...

PS. Guys i will post a few screenshots of what my flashpoit looks like with the FFSX mod... OK?

I'll put them in the photography thread and give you a link there...

Edit: Done. Read post by me.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1161358

Edit: My forums are easier to see the pics on. No KB limit. So no clicking to see each pic. (BEWARE ALL SLOW INTERNET USERS)

http://hitcorp.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?p=421&mforum=hitcorp#421

To kind of sum up the written above. If you just got OFP and you just want it to look better and play better, FFSX+DxDLL. If your'e looking for some specific theme look for the corresponding MOD, your'e bound to find one for almoust any setting.

OFP looks awesome, I don't know how I missed this game, but I just heard of it about two weeks ago. And I'm the big simulation nut of my group. crazy_o.gif

Anyway I bought a couple copies of Elite, that was to tide me over until the OFP:GOTY I ordered from Amazon shows up.

My question; is FFSX+WGL compatible? (i.e. can I run both at the same time?)

----

I rarely get time to play games, but when I do it's mostly LAN parties w/ friends. Usually we'll get together for a Fri-Sat about once a month during the fall through spring time of the year.

It looks like ArmA has the better eye candy, but I'm guessing OFP with addons has more depth? Not to mention easier on the system requirements.

It looks like ArmA has the better eye candy, but I'm guessing OFP with addons has more depth?

It has more depth because most addons where created by enthusiasts with a twist to military realism.

The developer of the "naked" ArmA and OFP felt constrained to make the game pleasant to a broad audience and therefore they are somewhat swallow in some aspects.

The hobbyist addon makers don't have those problems and they had more than 6 years.

Hi guys im also thinking of getting the game does the GOTY edition come with the red hammer campaign

It's so wonderful that people continue to seek out OFP for PC (the way it was meant to be experienced). I suggest the FDF mod for it's revamped environment sounds (namely thunder/storm effects).

I like to think of OFP as an RL (real life) simulator rather than a 'game' - and this ties in with the 'game's real life simulation of tides/weather/sun/astrological positions and general natural energy. If you set a custom mission to sunset Feb 11th, then change it to sunset Sept 11th, the colour of the sky, it's feel and ambience will be entirely different. Every six months or so I'll repeat the campaigns (resistance followed by CWC)... but in between i live my life through custom civilian missions. I am what some might call a 'purist'.

Personally i would bypass the red hammer campaign. The storyline is simply made up... as in... it's not consistant with the ColdWarCrisis universe. The missions drag and don't flow particularly well... it's kind of like a campaign for the sake of a campaign... if you want to experience Everon & Malden in true OFP historical context, just stick with the original CWC campaign.

To those asking about running two mods (IE. FFSX+WGL):

No, its not possible without extensive modification. They both use their own configs (The game can only load one at a time) and they dont work without their configs.

I have had Elite for ages and i absolutely love it, apart from a few drawbacks (mainly the view distance) i have played it like hell.

Im now looking to get the pc version (only so many times you can take out the same old BMP with the same old LAW) and mod it up but i have alot of questions. My first concern is the version, im thinking of getting this GOTY version:

http://www.play.com/Games....ct.html

But after all thse years and changes i am worried about whether all mod are going to work. I have purchased Gold or GOTY versions in the past only to discover thet fundamental changes in the programming due to expansions etc means that most mods wont work. Is this the case with Flashpoint?

But whats also real important to me is whether my PC can handle this game with mods and it decent to high setting, i know it old but the mods seem to take alot more. Here my specs:

2500 AMD Athlon

1 Gig of ram

128 Radeon FX2000

That ok to run mods, and perhaps maxed out?

The main mod im interested in if FFUR, but i have questions about that. What i want to know is this a complete update. I mean new graphics, up to date weapons, equipment and uniforms? O and is this FFUR this is the kinda look and sounds im going for:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vWzi5pHkSrA

And im looking for it to be something like this (amazing how well the modders have done with this game)

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/huhtisjani/OFP/dxdshot1144955340.jpg[/img]

Im also interested in a Vietnam mod, i have seen Experience Vietnam and this looks great, is this the mod the most complete? And does anyone know the latest version of this. Theres so many different version of thing after this many years its hard to know where to start.

Another question i have is concerning mods again, how do you activate them , im guessing a mod like FFUR have there own shortcut created on the desktop, but if i install say "custom iraqi army and tanks addon" how to i activate and deactivate it? Is there some king of generic mod enabler?

Thanks...

i want pc version 2. where can i find it? (its 6 yrs old)

The latest version of OFP for the PC is 1.96.

no i mean like are there any stores in paticular that may have it or can i dl it?

Many online stores have it, and if you're lucky your local game stores might have few copies of the GOTY edition at hand. Mine does, so... having an idea of where you live might bring some help if there's any active forum member nearby.

It's not necesserily in the "usual" big grey box - I've seen atleast few of those "classic" editions that feature some good (well, old atleast...) game in a cheaper DVD case.

Oh, and... don't make too long quotes. And well, quoting images is forbidden. Just a reminder so that Placebo doesn't bite your head off. wink_o.gif

Many online stores have it, and if you're lucky your local game stores might have few copies of the GOTY edition at hand. Mine does, so... having an idea of where you live might bring some help if there's any active forum member nearby.

It's not necesserily in the "usual" big grey box - I've seen atleast few of those "classic" editions that feature some good (well, old atleast...) game in a cheaper DVD case.

Oh, and... don't make too long quotes. And well, quoting images is forbidden. Just a reminder so that Placebo doesn't bite your head off.  wink_o.gif

sry-forum noob.

yeah, ive seen those dvd boxes. i noticed you cant dl ofp sad_o.gif so i will just have to get lucky firefoxlover.gif

Hey BLITZ,

I just bought it off of Amazon for $13 + $4 shipping. Be sure to get game of the year edition. Mine says; "PC GAMER PRESENTS" on the front. Works great, comes with version 1.8x, with the 1.96 patch in a sub-folder.

And there is NO comparison to Elite. Six of my main LAN gaming machines run it fine. They are various AMD 1800+ - 2200+ machines, 512MB memory, Geforce 5500FX or better, or ATI 9800 Pro's or better. I also have a couple 2Ghz or better P4's, but haven't got around to testing them yet.

My test machine however is a 2000+ w/ 512MB, and an ATI 9600 Pro. I have been using it to test mods. It runs;

WGL + WGL Textures + DxDll

FFUR-SLX 2.5

Be sure to get DxDll, Islands with high quality textures. And one of the two packages above for starters. You'll love it.