Sign in to follow this  
hypno toad

Adjusting water?

I would just like to know if there is a way to adjust the water level in your map, or for that matter just getting rid of water.

Anybody know anything?

im trying to add water in mine,every time i make a map in geo control all i get is land,even when i lower the terrain .so how do u do it lol wink_o.gif

Sea level is constant, but you can change the height of the terrain. Land above 5 (or so) meters should be high enough to avoid the tides.

If you are importing the heightmap from a PNG, change the PBL config's "minHeight" and "maxHeight" values to suit your needs. If minHeight is above 5, the lowest part of your terrain (black on the PNG) will be 5m ASL. I have not imported XYZ, so I can't offer any help there, but the relative heights can probably changed within whatever program you are using to create the XYZ file.

Visitor3 also has a very basic terrain vertice manipulation tool, which may well be able to translate all heights (haven't got any time to test it now).

I got my water ok by adjusting the minheight value in the pbl file but i also adjusted the png. Are you using a grayscale?

If so you could try to decrease its brightness or contrast.

BIS grayscale for Rahmadi is strange though... because its all very light coloured.

Trial and error confused_o.gif ..

BIS grayscale for Rahmadi is strange though... because its all very light coloured.

That's cause Rahmadi is just a part of the Sahrani heightmap.

I've been using Terragen to generate some greyscales, but it seems only the 8 bit ones produce a proper square map.

When I import a 16 bit greyscale from Terragen I get a terrain that fills only the left half of the blank V3 map.

Can't seem to find another package that generates a 16bit greyscale ..... any suggestions.

Gnat @ Sep. 24 2007,15:59)]I've been using Terragen to generate some greyscales, but it seems only the 8 bit ones produce a proper square map.

When I import a 16 bit greyscale from Terragen I get a terrain that fills only the left half of the blank V3 map.

Can't seem to find another package that generates a 16bit greyscale ..... any suggestions.

What do you mean? Did you check to make sure your terrain size was not to small for your greyscale, for some reason I alsways need to make the size one size up from the size of my image or it cuts it in half like that....

Maybe Im just not visualizing your problem correctly, is this what you meant? And if you can see your whole terrain, but its just to small, reduce the map size in viz.

If ive got this all wrong, im really not sure what exactly your prob is, do yo uhave a screenshot? Im using 16 bit greyscale's generated with GeoControl (also allows me to very simply create a satellite texture with a few preset color configurations on my image) and Im not experiencing any problems...

O.K. I will try that out, Now I just have to deal with the texturing, and satellite images :/

O.K. I will try that out, Now I just have to deal with the texturing, and satellite images :/

Was writing a tut, but got too busy, if you need help there are a few other good tutorials around and if that doesnt help Pm me, Ill help you get your textures going on. (And if your talking about the artsy part, I may be able to help you with that as well using Geocontrol to generate your satellite textures smile_o.gif )

Gnat @ Sep. 25 2007,00:59)]I've been using Terragen to generate some greyscales, but it seems only the 8 bit ones produce a proper square map.

Open it up in Wilbur and save as 16-bit.

Gnat @ Sep. 25 2007,05:37)]
Open it up in Wilbur and save as 16-bit.

Yes, thx, that solves the problem

Oh, so the png was never a 16 bit to begin with?