Sign in to follow this  
Yossarian

Operational Det. Alpha (ODA)

Well, the funny thing is tha I sent Maruk a link to some photos of special operations forces a couple of months ago (never got a reply, but I can understand that). I complained about how the SF models are completely sub-standard and they need to be fixed.

What is the point of creating SF models if you are only going to give them a protec helmet (which is a bit outdated now)? They could have easily created models that look like SF operators and it baffles me that the units in GQ are so ridiculous, who was the mastermind behind the creation of these models?!?!?!

I saw the screens from GQ and I made sure not to buy it because I would have wasted my money getting it. We still do not have a C-130 or other fixed wing cargo aircraft, and proper SF and PMC models for ARMA. I have been involved with this community from the beginning and most people on here know that I served in special ops (just like Clavicula_nox4817) and I cannot understand why they did not approach me or someone else on here, and ask for advice on how the models should look.

Too many Devs are relying on BHD or other people who have never served, and they need to understand that we do not wear our gear like that anymore. I like the effort that Yossarian has put into his addon, but the models completely suck as a representation of SF units, very generic. I hope that someone with the talent will fix this, because no matter how many retextures are done, the models still do not meet the requirement.

My rant is over.

Well, the funny thing is tha I sent Maruk a link to some photos of special operations forces a couple of months ago (never got a reply, but I can understand that). I complained about how the SF models are completely sub-standard and they need to be fixed.

What is the point of creating SF models if you are only going to give them a protec helmet (which is a bit outdated now)? They could have easily created models that look like SF operators and it baffles me that the units in GQ are so ridiculous, who was the mastermind behind the creation of these models?!?!?!

I saw the screens from GQ and I made sure not to buy it because I would have wasted my money getting it. We still do not have a C-130 or other fixed wing cargo aircraft, and proper SF and PMC models for ARMA. I have been involved with this community from the beginning and most people on here know that I served in special ops (just like Clavicula_nox4817) and I cannot understand why they did not approach me or someone else on here, and ask for advice on how the models should look.

Too many Devs are relying on BHD or other people who have never served, and they need to understand that we do not wear our gear like that anymore. I like the effort that Yossarian has put into his addon, but the models completely suck as a representation of SF units, very generic. I hope that someone with the talent will fix this, because no matter how many retextures are done, the models still do not meet the requirement.

My rant is over.

we know ur frustration man but right now making brand new models is extremely hard so its quite a challenge for even the community to create the models you desire. this is a good start atleast, but is still held back my BIS originals. they actually look pretty good thou not a wide spread load out i have seen some wearing things like that such as in the national geographic documentary of a green beret outfit in afghan and his CIA one looks alot like what they wear out in the field so just give us some patience and ull get what ur looking for

Bugkill: Please rant more often biggrin_o.gif

And this one's for you. I've never made boot textures before, so they're a bit rough. And yes, I will put them on a character with un-bloused pants.

texture detail is on medium confused_o.gif

JSOCbugkill.jpg

Bugkill: Please rant more often biggrin_o.gif

And this one's for you. I've never made boot textures before, so they're a bit rough. And yes, I will put them on a character with un-bloused pants.

texture detail is on medium confused_o.gif

Lookin' good, bro! thumbs-up.gif I can't wait to see them on the unbloused troops as well.

My biggest pet peeve is when people say "Spec ops." I don't know why..it's like the stupid hockey helmets, maybe, it just seems so mainstream and ignorant to me. Maybe it's dumb, but I roll my eyes whenever someone "back home" asks what I do and I explain USASOC and they say "ohh spec ops" or "ohh black ops". Ugh.

I feel that Clav. Although I gotta say I'd much rather hear that then have what happened to me last weekend. Long story short, some dirty hippie over heard a conversation between my friend and I and next thing I know I was called a baby killer among other things that are not appropriate to list. Fantastic city I live in. Ahhh Good ol' Madison.

I feel that Clav. Although I gotta say I'd much rather hear that then have what happened to me last weekend. Long story short, some dirty hippie over heard a conversation between my friend and I and next thing I know I was called a baby killer among other things that are not appropriate to list. Fantastic city I live in. Ahhh Good ol' Madison.

I actually can't say that has ever happened to me. I've been called a tool on several occassions, but I don't know how to respond to that because that's exactly what a soldier is. Sorry someone said that to you, I'm not sure how I would respond to that.

The Queens Gambit models are indeed a bit sad, I'll stick with community made versions as these tend to come out much better.

Good retexes here btw. smile_o.gif

My biggest pet peeve is when people say "Spec ops." I don't know why..it's like the stupid hockey helmets, maybe, it just seems so mainstream and ignorant to me. Maybe it's dumb, but I roll my eyes whenever someone "back home" asks what I do and I explain USASOC and they say "ohh spec ops" or "ohh black ops". Ugh.

Lol, I say "special Ops" because I know people would understand it. Clav would know exactly who I was talking about if I said "Group", but most people wounldn't, so I just go with "special ops" and leave it at that. Never had to repeat or make people understand what I was talking about.

Here is some pics of what ARMA US models should look like. The generic crap we got in ARMA is inexcusable for a milsim of it's caliber.

COD4 Screens

always wondered about those protec helmets. They look like parachutist or mountaineer helmets, protecting against blunt traumata.

They don't look like they could protect any protection against shrapnel, there's just not enough room between head and it's shell to allow the material to deform enough to absorb the kinetic energy of projectiles.

Where they worn only for parachute jumps or heli insertion? Were they worn in actual combat? Or are they only there to support the NVG?

I expect there must have been occasions when they were used, or is it a complete hollywood fiction?

Lol, I say "special Ops" because I know people would understand it. Clav would know exactly who I was talking about if I said "Group", but most people wounldn't, so I just go with "special ops" and leave it at that. Never had to repeat or make people understand what I was talking about.

Any reference pics either of you guys could send me would be greatly appreciated. Pics that are from straight on are better. But everything helps really.

I want to try and add little bits of kit to the base models. I'm good enough in 3ds max, that it wouldn't be impossible for me. Model/texturing would be easy, getting stuff in-game is the hard part. I was thinking new helmets, and headsets. Maybe even putting an entire new vest over the old one.

Clav and Bugkill: What are the biggest errors with the models?

PS: been trying out COD4. it's fun pistols.gif

hmm strange. my grandfather was a spetznas which is nothing more than the russian equivalent of the english word spec ops since it basically is a short for the word special operatives (not exact translation but most common one) so i figured thats what to call ya. what should we say then USASOC is a tad long. about the hippie issue, well thats why i always said woodstock should of been a massacre.

always wondered about those protec helmets. They look like parachutist or mountaineer helmets, protecting against blunt traumata.

They don't look like they could protect any protection against shrapnel, there's just not enough room between head and it's shell to allow the material to deform enough to absorb the kinetic energy of projectiles.

Where they worn only for parachute jumps or heli insertion? Were they worn in actual combat? Or are they only there to support the NVG?

I expect there must have been occasions when they were used, or is it a complete hollywood fiction?

I'm pretty sure they have been used, maybe not anymore but seems like in the 80's and 90's. I'm only going by pictures I've seen and things I've read that seem legitimate. From what I understand they were just protection from bumping your head on walls, etc. in close quarters, there was no intention for ballistic protection.

delta.jpg

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos....s_d.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174....N 100KB

well thats why i always said woodstock should of been a massacre.

I'm not sure about that. Lot of nice people, lot of nice music.

Have you thought of possibly making a model that would have the goggles in place covering the eyes, instead of the just the usual candy ontop the head.

id argue that but thats not what this is for so just gonna let it go, thou u have to agree calling him a baby killer is ridiculous. Even unforgivable in my book.

hmm strange. my grandfather was a spetznas which is nothing more than the russian equivalent of the english word spec ops since it basically is a short for the word special operatives (not exact translation but most common one) so i figured thats what to call ya. what should we say then USASOC is a tad long. about the hippie issue, well thats why i always said woodstock should of been a massacre.

It's hard to explain, but it's not necesarily the word that irritates me, it's the connotation that goes with it. People hear that and think it's 3 guys who walk into a city and take it over on their own or something. I dunno, people just have funny ideas about things.

As for models, man that's somewhat tough because it depends so much on the unit/group/team's SOP or TACSOP. In one A-team from 10th Group I saw 12 different variations of different style of uniforms. Their Alpha primarily wore jumpsuits, their commo 1 guy wore regular DCUs, some of the others wore civilian brand uniforms, or DCUs with pockets sewn onto the shoulders, etc. There simply just isn't one standard and that's what makes it tough.

oh i realize ur frustration. special forces look like gods till they get caught by a superior force. People think its the gunning and running that make you better than regular forces, when instead its more about stealth speed intelligence and violence of action. i simply use spec ops since its the internet which means im lazy and abbreviate everything. As for the models and textures issue. That is exactly what makes me wish we could randomize a set of looks for each type of special forces units like the Assualt could have 5 different textures and models that would be randomly chosen as the game started but i beleive that is beyond the arma engines abilities

Thanks for all the replies guys, and the PM bugkill.

I've seen some other people start to put extra pouches and stuff onto original characters, so if I get stuck I can ask them.

The goggles would be hard, but it would be cool. Helmet's would be a good start. I really want to do a whole new vest though. I also want to make these: Peltor Military Comms

baby steps.

ok, so I went and looked at the BIS models. They're way better at 3dsm than I am. crazy_o.gif

I started small. Peltor Military radio/hearing protector:

peltor-1.jpg

looking good due. As you said with the helmets does that mean your planning on making an LWH helmet?

The idea should be making models that feature a squad and the use of real names. For instance, Yossarian could make a squad of SOF personnel that are part of an assault team. Each team member would have the same camo, but they would have different leg holsters, IBA, chest rigs, some with unbloused boots and sleeves rolled up to the forearms, and a mixture of military boots and civilian footwear.

Basically, you would change the little things that shows the individuality within a squad. You would then give the operators real names like "SFC John Spencer" or "MSG Rashard Lewis" because it is important that if you are going to create new models (who I assume that their faces won't change from mission to mission) based on real life units, give them proper rank and names. If you want to make a SEAL team with custom models, make sure you name them with the proper rank and name, like "PO2 Michael Hutchins".

It would just be nice to have some new unit addons with real names, like how Clav did for his 82nd ABN units. Clav's readme is exactly what I've been crying about when it concerns making units. Give some of these units real names and a bio in the readme, because it gives the addon character.