Sign in to follow this  
Symbiot

Symbiot's Drop Rain Replacement

Thanks for making this addon.

If I might be so bold as to suggest a change that I have been quietly hacking with:

I have changed the texture by resizing both the normal and it's alpha to 1024x1024, then quadrupling it (i.e. copied the resulting quarter-of-the-picture to the other, now blank, 3 quarters of the 2048x2048 pic).

Then I also added 5 to your velocity values.

The result looks a bit more 'real' to me as the original droplet sixes looked a bit big.

Try it, you might agree, or not.

My only bugbear now is that when you lose altitude in a helicopter the rain drops slower still than you do, perhaps a faster velocity may be the answer for that, but then it'd need to start higher above you too.

Just a small idea how about adding the rain texture back in, a very light version cause there are times when the rain is created a bit far away from the player for it to look 'normal' rain since rain doesnt fall in certain areas around a person. So creating a very light rain texture will finish this off I reckon.

Just a small idea how about adding the rain texture back in, a very light version cause there are times when the rain is created a bit far away from the player for it to look 'normal' rain since rain doesnt fall in certain areas around a person. So creating a very light rain texture will finish this off I reckon.

indeed.

No problem...

Theres the link, you may need to wait for it to process fully first.

i would love to see a footage at daytime...

even without "@" in the folder's name: problem persists. I can't enjoy those new effect shown in the video. It still looks very much the same as default BIS rain. When I used the old "symbrain.pbo" in the modfolder (not the new "ca_symbrain.pbo"!wink_o.gif -> surprise: I get these effects. But way too fast (as already mentioned in the thread). The updated version does not work (I even tried to combine the two) on my installation. Maybe some conflict with existing/used addons? Maybe I missed something? Still: what's wrong?

Quote[/b] ]i would love to see a footage at daytime...

Well your in luck, I'm bored so I will do one.

EDIT - Heres the video...

even without "@" in the folder's name: problem persists. I can't enjoy those new effect shown in the video. It still looks very much the same as default BIS rain. When I used the old "symbrain.pbo" in the modfolder (not the new "ca_symbrain.pbo"!wink_o.gif -> surprise: I get these effects. But way too fast (as already mentioned in the thread). The updated version does not work (I even tried to combine the two) on my installation. Maybe some conflict with existing/used addons? Maybe I missed something? Still: what's wrong?

I had a conflict with fdf sound mod hope this helps  pistols.gif

Hey guys I played with the script and talk to Symbiot

about if you guys want to try it out heres the link

updated on next page..........

the rain has 6 levels + I added visibility changes for each level ,on the heaviest rain I actually gained 6-8 fps

on my computer I average 28-30fps normally on heavy thunderstorm I was getting 38fps warning...backup your old pbo in the addons folder incase you don't like this should run ok on average to extreme computers

biggrin_o.gif  

p.s. thanks for a kick butt addon Symbiot

nice effort Viper169th smile_o.gif

ps: did you add my config suggestions? smile_o.gif

Hey guys I played with the script and talk to Symbiot

about if you guys want to try it out heres the link

http://rapidshare.com/files/52798014/ca_SymbRain.pbo

the rain has 6 levels + I added visibility changes for each level ,on the heaviest rain I actually gained 6-8 fps

on my computer I average 28-30fps normally on heavy thunderstorm I was getting 38fps warning...backup your old pbo in the addons folder incase you don't like this should run ok on average to extreme computers

biggrin_o.gif

p.s. thanks for a kick butt addon Symbiot

I would like to try that, but I can't download from Rapidshare sad_o.gif . Could you (or anyone) please post it somewhere else, such as on MiHD. You don't need to register or anything. Just upload and it works.

I hate Rapidshare mad_o.gif

About time someone made a new rain effect for ArmA. I watched the videos and it looks very good.

I would like to try that, but I can't download from Rapidshare sad_o.gif . Could you (or anyone) please post it somewhere else, such as on MiHD. You don't need to register or anything. Just upload and it works.

I hate Rapidshare mad_o.gif

About time someone made a new rain effect for ArmA. I watched the videos and it looks very good.

Yeah, Rapidshare sucks xmas_o.gif .

Here you go.

Yeah, Rapidshare sucks xmas_o.gif .

Here you go.

Thanks. This isn't the first time I've posted about trouble with Rapidshare. Now I will try the mod later smile_o.gif

Q... I don't know how to make configs that well

so I figured I let someone else try that.....what i did do was reconfig the rain script I think it looks good but you guys can decide that.......btw sorry about the mihd.net it wouldn't let me upload  confused_o.gif

p.s. have fun  biggrin_o.gif

There's the German expression for heavy rain "it's pouring like from buckets" and that's exactly what the addon looks like for me in 1024x768. Though I don't believe it's about the resolution.

The rain sprites are looking too extreme. Maybe it'll look more real when you use rain drops as thin as in the original Arma rain texture for the moving sprites.

Also the estimated drop amount should be matching with the ArmA ground water drops. It seemed to me that there's a noticeable difference.

Quote:(Trapper)There's the German expression for heavy rain "it's pouring like from buckets" and that's exactly what the addon looks like for me in 1024x768

thats what i intended to do... run the rain test in the script

at level >.85 it's a servre thunderstorm I live in Florida and trust me when I say I was generous on toning down the level 6 effects we had a storm today and I couldn't see 200 meters

I have the level 6 around 500-600 meters and I'd like to see the sprites alittle smaller but I don't know how to change the p3d files therefore I leave that to the guys that do thanks for the info ...maybe Symbiot knows how to change that xmas_o.gif

Hey guys new update on the rain biggrin_o.gif

I fixed the large rain and trimmed it down

reset the timing on the rain

d/l and tell me what you think

heres the link:

updated

p.s. it grew 3 megs sorry didn't know how to shink the paa

it was 12 meg though rofl.gif

Downloading now.

I was just playing with your other version yesterday so I'll state a comparison after trying this newer version.

Thanks for your guys continual work on this project. I really believe it does add to the immersion factor of ArmA.

<---EDIT--->

Already trying it and I do think it's better than the previous version. It no longer looks as if there is sheets of rain with nothing between them and it appears that the speed a bit quicker now.

Of course this can be my imagination but it does seem more realistic as compared to the last version.

Question though, does the rain also impair the AI's ability of target recognition at distance, especially in heavy rain where visibility is lower (which I love btw)?

Just curious.

-Duke- (qoute) Question though, does the rain also impair the AI's ability of target recognition at distance, especially in heavy rain where visibility is lower (which I love btw)?

Thanks for the compliment -Duke-....I believe it should because for the effect I'm using the fog system already in the game I didn't want to use the actual visibity system because everyone uses different computers the lower end pc would take a hit and the higher end would not have 8000 meters LOL the fog actually makes it even xmas_o.gif

heres a video link:

updated

file link:

updated

click on download ticket upper left corner

weird place for it icon_rolleyes.gif

hi guys,

I fixed the running through sheets of rain..... plus I was playing with the cobra seemed no more running in and out of the rain frame rates were 30-40fps biggrin_o.gif

btw the file is only 948kb I forgot to zip the last one whistle.gif

heres the d/l link:

updated

this is probably my last one unless you guys see bugs I didn't know about this time the rain gets more visible as the rain gets harder

Thanks agian Symbiot

hi guys,

I fixed the running through sheets of rain..... plus I was playing with the cobra seemed no more running in and out of the rain frame rates were 30-40fps  biggrin_o.gif

btw the file is only 948kb I forgot to zip the last one whistle.gif

heres the d/l link:

http://mihd.net/45avuf

this is probably my last one unless you guys see bugs I didn't know about this time the rain gets more visible as the rain gets harder

Thanks agian Symbiot

LOOOOOOL

Viper you add what i'we removed ))))))

In alpha version i'we used dynamic fog too, but i'we removed this for release because we have decided what player can choose the fog intensity in editor.

And some players like long range visibility.

Anyway - good work & keep trying !

I actually think the reduced visibility due to heavy rain is one of the best parts of this mod. I know some people may prefer longer view distances but you just don't get that in the real world in heavy rain.

This mod has added so much to ArmA it's really incredible, great work, both of you!

Ultimately I'd love to see the roads get wet, puddles form and water run off my rifle barrel but me thinks those are pipe dreams. I'd also love to see heavier cloud cover.

I gotta tell you, I wish I knew how to do this stuff guys, then I'd stop yapping out my @ss in this thread huh.gif

Thanks for putting up with me.

<--- EDIT --->

I tried the new version and I'm not a big fan of it personally (no offense). Your previous version really worked with the wind perfectly and this one doesn't seem to. Quite honestly, I'm starting to wonder if I did something wrong with the install because this version seemed to revert back quite a ways.

Anyway, aside from the sheets of rain maybe being a very minute bit too opague, I liked the previous version much better.

Thanks for taking the time to cater to our input notworthy.gif

Symbiot Qoute:

LOOOOOOL

Viper you add what i'we removed ))))))

rofl.gif  sorry Sym I didn't get the original file

if guys want I can take the fog out and if you like the sheets I can try to make them less apparent I just never seen heavy fog and heavy rain at the same time is why I did that the good thing if you don't want rain you can fog all you want

I 'll play with the rain alittle see what I can do  thumbs-up.gif

btw would you guys prefer the rain sheeting on the last 3 levels?

-Duke-

its the same rain as my last version i just made it come in a different way so it didn't go through the player

Thanks for the feedback guys  smile_o.gif

Updated Symbiot rain yay.gif

I was reading the post I think I got everything covered

if you want to use system fog make sure it is above .05 in the editor.....on the other hand if you like the way i fogged it set the slider to the 0 scale ..... note the system automatically fogs when the rain reaches certain levels nothing I could do about that but your fog level will remain the same through out the change so make sure you don't go too extreme on the fog or you will have a near whiteout conditions I redone the script and pretty happy with it biggrin_o.gif

Warning: I was using the new DM Smoke Effects Beta 4.1 it will cause your frame rates havoc so you can use it just don't blow up a whole town pistols.gif or have 8 things blowing up at once whistle.gif

btw duke I lightened the rain some more thanks for the input

heres the Link:....file size 942.56 KB

http://mihd.net/y5b8rj

thanks for the input Symbiot and -Duke-

Enjoy xmas_o.gif

The thanks actually goes to you for not only continuing on with this fine mod but for actually fielding the continual suggestions.

As for my last response where I thought the rain looked much like the very first versions, well, the reason was that Symbiot rain wasn't even working and I was using ArmA's default rain. For whatever reason, -mod=Ca_SymbRain no longer works for me but -mod=ca_SymbRain does.

I've tested this new version and the only comment I can make is that it's a bit patchy. The rain comes down in sheets (which I love) however, there is a very noticeable gap between sheets of rain that actually looks like there is no rain falling at all.

If I were you though, I'd take it for what it is which is just another comment and not necessarily something you have to do.

In all honesty, I liked the version you had prior to the last version the most. I thought the fog, rain, etc., was perfect (never noticed the "running through sheets of rain" issue so I can't comment).

I wish I could tell you what version of rain it was. All I have to go by is a quote in your post as the link has been removed:

Quote[/b] ]Hey guys new update on the rain biggrin_o.gif

I fixed the large rain and trimmed it down

reset the timing on the rain

d/l and tell me what you think

heres the link:

updated

p.s. it grew 3 megs sorry didn't know how to shink the paa

it was 12 meg though rofl.gif

Anyway, you've really done a great job with this mod and I can only hope that we see more from you in the future.

<--- EDIT --->

OK, after talking completely out my @ss on the last few responses I think I may have found out what the problem is.

Is it possible that there is now a bug in these latest versions whereby if you start a mission assigning a static object (invisible H for example) with this exec "camera.sqs"; that it causes the rain not to work?

The mission I've been running while testing all your rain updates is one I plan to use for some camera and script testing in hopes I can eventually make a movie from. Up until the last few versions, starting off in free cam worked like a charm and your rain mod was working perfectly.

So tonight the rust snapped from one of the rusty cogs within the inner workings of my brain which made me load another mission where I start as player. Voila, Symbiots Rain mod in all it's glory. I then went back to my other mission and sure enough, the original ArmA rain is only visible until I V Key from camera.sqs to player. Once I leave free cam and assume player, the rain script works fine.

I can definitely say that if this is indeed a bug, it was introduced within the last few releases as its worked fine previously.