Sign in to follow this  
nuxil

anyone got some models to share?

hi all.. im just woundering if anyone has made some aircrafts and want to share them with me tounge2.gif ..i mean jet plains.

i want some other aircrafts besides the a-10 and the harrier.

f-14 tomcat/f15/f16 would be cool tounge2.gif

Exactly what are you asking for?

If your looking for just the 3d models then there are several freeware sites to download models.

Honestly you can just make them yourself

If your asking for addons, comment within the addon request thread otherwise you need to wait and they will come

Honestly you can just make them yourself

Would that it were really that easy... icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm going crazy trying to make a damn boat...a boat...! confused_o.gif

well technically there isnt any difference in making a boat and a airplane in 3d apps smile_o.gif

if you cant make a ship in a first go dont worry..

no master has fallen from the skies yet as we germans say.

practice..

try making sth easy first..

like a crate..

then maybe a barrel..

then maybe a tree?

then maybe uhm a boot?

i guess you see the point?

well technically there isnt any difference in making a boat and a airplane in 3d apps smile_o.gif

if you cant make a ship in a first go dont worry..

no master has fallen from the skies yet as we germans say.

practice..

try making sth easy first..

like a crate..

then maybe a barrel..

then maybe a tree?

then maybe uhm a boot?

i guess you see the point?

The point was just that it is perhaps a bit disingenuous to

glibly say to beginners "you can just make them yourself".

hi,

Sorry to pull this abit off topic, but had afew questions about UV mapping if anyone has the time  banghead.gif

See I think I have learn't the basics of modeling 'ok' (been learning in blender) and have made half a dozen models, now though I am attempting the next stage in UV mapping and wow, for me it's just so much more confusing.

Anyway, here are my questions..

Do you guys think UV mapping is the right option for a beginner like me, or would you suggest the other way I read about which you use in O2(placing textures on each face)?

My first goal with UV mapping is getting a small 200 sided ammo crate mapped to learn with.  I'm really struggling to know where to put the  "seams" and generally end up with abit of distortion.  I can understand pinning alittle, but can't really get very good results, does anyone have any tips at all to do with any of the above?

Does anyone else have this type of trouble with UV mapping, I know it just takes time like everything, but I can't help but feel I might be missing an important  technique.  I even took a break from learning this and am "trying" to learn sqf, which i'm finding a hell of alot easier than, even unwrapping a crate  smile_o.gif

Ohh and one more, when you guys UV map, do you pull the model into bits, or pull away one side?(like a screen shot from above, side back and hidden parts like a see around abit). All the tutorials I have read say about parting each bit, but when I unpack a game, they all seem to use the side,top thing on their textures?

Thanks for anyone that has the time to answer and sorry if some of it does not make much sense xmas_o.gif

Anyway, here are my questions..

Do you guys think UV mapping is the right option for a beginner like me, or would you suggest the other way I read about which you use in O2(placing textures on each face)?

My first goal with UV mapping is getting a small 200 sided ammo crate mapped to learn with. I'm really struggling to know where to put the "seams" and generally end up with abit of distortion. I can understand pinning alittle, but can't really get very good results, does anyone have any tips at all to do with any of the above?

Does anyone else have this type of trouble with UV mapping, I know it just takes time like everything, but I can't help but feel I might be missing an important technique. I even took a break from learning this and am "trying" to learn sqf, which i'm finding a hell of alot easier than, even unwrapping a crate smile_o.gif

Ohh and one more, when you guys UV map, do you pull the model into bits, or pull away one side?(like a screen shot from above, side back and hidden parts like a see around abit). All the tutorials I have read say about parting each bit, but when I unpack a game, they all seem to use the side,top thing on their textures?

Thanks for anyone that has the time to answer and sorry if some of it does not make much sense xmas_o.gif

UVW mapping is better, and more direct (by not taking the model apart, mapping the areas and putting the model back together, like I have read some people do) than O2. It also makes it easier to do good textures, so they don't stretch or deform in other ways.

Try to imagine looking at your object in 3D (in your mind). What would your ammo crate look like if you looked at it from the top for example? It may be a square box, with one or more smaller edges on the side (for stacking).

[Like this]

You should take notice of this, as it is an effective way to limit the pieces that end up at the UVW, and can ease texturing.

Select all of the pieces that face the same direction [like this].

Also make sure that all pieces are the same size relative to eachother (makes it easier to texture details, as everything will be on a 1:1 scale). The UVW for the crate will end up something [like this].

I use the Checkers function in 3DS MAX to make sure that all sides are equal, looks [like this]. I guess Blender has something similar that you can use.

For some things using this "views" technique will not work, notice for example that I have mapped the short side of the crate only once (would look identical), but I mapped the long sides seperatly (might contain different details like text).

UVW mapping in the end is not hard, it is just a repetative process, making it boring, but it is really important. A profesionally optimized model with a crappy UVW just ruins the entire addon.

Great, thanks very much JdB. Feel alot better about heading back to it now. Afew things fell into place as I read it abit smile_o.gif

Also, I will just add, back when I first started a month or two ago, I used those great models in you LTH_Os pack (hope it was ok) which you offered as a free download. I never touched the actual models but they were a great reference to look at and study and I think they greatly speed things up for me, so thanks for that also.

Now off to round four of this crate, can't turn out much worse than my last attempt rofl.gif

Great, thanks very much JdB. Feel alot better about heading back to it now. Afew things fell into place as I read it abit smile_o.gif

Also, I will just add, back when I first started a month or two ago, I used those great models in you LTH_Os pack (hope it was ok) which you offered as a free download. I never touched the actual models but they were a great reference to look at and study and I think they greatly speed things up for me, so thanks for that also.

Now off to round four of this crate, can't turn out much worse than my last attempt rofl.gif

Serious question here: Is the crate meant to look warped? I mean, is the 3d mesh more like a rectangle, or an oddly shaped box?

The reason I ask is because if it's more like a rectangle, you might want to move the shapes in the uv to closely resemble the shape of the face they're meant to be on.

Abs

The point was just that it is perhaps a bit disingenuous to

glibly say to beginners "you can just make them yourself".

You pretty much have to make them yourself. You can use freeware models ,but we know they are usually high poly and complex and would require more work than just making new ones.

All the fun is making it yourself

The author hasn't replied back ,sounds like he may be asking for complete addons anyways

Serious question here: Is the crate meant to look warped? I mean, is the 3d mesh more like a rectangle, or an oddly shaped box?

The reason I ask is because if it's more like a rectangle, you might want to move the shapes in the uv to closely resemble the shape of the face they're meant to be on.

Abs

Hehe, yeah i just threw it together in afew minutes to learn from but if you can imagine, it's just a simple crate likethese with two extra bits round the middle area.

Edit: Ohh ok, thanks again JdB. I see what you are saying now Abs, thanks will look into it all more next time.  

Indeed, like Abs said, you might want to straighten out the pieces, they need to look like you're directly looking at the surface to avoid deforming.

Like following:

[Observing the basic model]. The object is round, if you just use the sides on your UVW, it will come out like following:

[bad UVW]. Since not all sides are equal, stretching will occur, like can be seen [here].

In order to get it right, you need to make all the surfaces to be the same 1:1 scale that the are on the model, making your UVW end up like [this], with the following [result].

Of course this was an extreme example, to show what goes wrong, however even subtle mistakes will be noticed by someone that knows what he is doing. Also this applies to all kinds of objects, not just round ones, sometimes programs tend to deform shapes, so you have to correct them by hand.

P.S. I hope you didn't look at those models too much, as they were done years ago, so they will probably have some modelling mistakes in them (unoptimized) tounge2.gif

ok so i guess no one has some models to share,

i have no experiance in making 3d models.. but im willing to learn it. i got plenty of time tounge2.gif

can i use blender to make models for arma?

can i use blender to make models for arma?

Yes.

I'm going crazy trying to make a damn boat...a boat...!  confused_o.gif

Don't feel bad, main reason I tried to do PBY Catalina a few times, hard to make a boat hull integrated into a plane hull

Thats the answer I like to hear nuxil !

Welcome to modelling and addon making

Much help in this area of the forums:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....SC;c=21