Sign in to follow this  
Yossarian

Rifles as Secondary Weapon

I'm trying to make it possible to carry a sniper rifle as a secondary weapon (in the pistol slot). Not only would it be fun, but I have heard that operators do sometimes carry a long gun as a secondary.

Anyway, is it even possible? How would you do it?

I've looked in a bunch of configs in the weapons3.pbo and haven't really found anything useful. I thought it would be pretty straightforward - but then it wasn't. I tried searching, but I didn't find anything.

Thanks for any help help.gif

Just a tought like that, maybe not put a long rifle in the pistol slot but did you check if you could in the at4 slot?

The problem is, I think the slots are restricted to certain

classes (so the appropriate animations can be played).

I hope it'll eventually be possible to carry two main weapons

too - that feature would be useful for lots of situations.

It was possible in OFP (with heavy scripting and seperate models being made for each affected weapon). I imagine a similar solution could be found for ArmA, but lacking the scripting knowledge to attempt it, I wouldn't know where to start.

Hm.. don't get me wrong but wouldn't such things calling more "Rambo's" and "L33t-b0ys" into ArmA? When you carry an M107 or an KSVK it wont be realistic to take an M240 or PK with you.

But it would be nice to see some several backpack models like rucksack addons in OFP smile_o.gif

I think you're right Faulkner.

I'm looking at the config.bin the weapons.pbo. Aside from looking like a royal mess, there are a few things that looks promising.

I think this is where the game defines what weapons go in what class? I may be completely off.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">cDefault PistolCore RifleCore MGunCore LauncherCore

GrenadeCore CannonCore MGun ˜ù Pistol û M9 ¨û M9SD Eþ Makarov

MakarovSD Ë GrenadeLauncher § Rifle i AK74

Å 

AK74GL Â AKS74U AKS74UN £ G36a | G36C G36K ‰ M16A2 ö M16A2GL §$ M24 }' M240 ,+ M249 61 M4 ±7

M4AIM ç< M4SPR ç= M4A1 k@ M4GL ×@ M4A1GL >D M4A1SD ¯D MP5SD zF MP5A5 L PK sN SVD eT Launcher ˆW M136 Z

Javelin â€\ Stinger ý_ RPG7V c Strela •e Binocular Ÿh Laserdesignator j NVGoggles µk Phone çl Throw †m HandGrenade =r ..............etc, etc.

Could you get around the problem by making an addon which adds an m107 and m24 "pistol" but then give it all the properties and animations of a rifle? If it's in it's own .pbo would it override the standard definitions?

I think you're right Faulkner.

I'm looking at the config.bin the weapons.pbo. Aside from looking like a royal mess, there are a few things that looks promising.

I think this is where the game defines what weapons go in what class? I may be completely off.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">c Default PistolCore RifleCore MGunCore LauncherCore

GrenadeCore CannonCore  MGun ˜ù   Pistol û   M9 ¨û   M9SD Eþ  Makarov

MakarovSD Ë  GrenadeLauncher §  Rifle i  AK74

Å 

AK74GL Â  AKS74U  AKS74UN £  G36a |  G36C  G36K ‰  M16A2 ö  M16A2GL §$  M24 }'  M240 ,+  M249 61  M4 ±7  

M4AIM ç<  M4SPR ç=  M4A1 k@  M4GL ×@  M4A1GL >D  M4A1SD ¯D  MP5SD zF  MP5A5 L  PK sN  SVD eT  Launcher ˆW  M136 Z

Javelin â€\  Stinger ý_  RPG7V c  Strela •e  Binocular Ÿh  Laserdesignator j  NVGoggles µk  Phone çl  Throw †m  HandGrenade =r  ..............etc, etc.

Could you get around the problem by making an addon which adds an m107 and m24 "pistol" but then give it all the properties and animations of a rifle? If it's in it's own .pbo would it override the standard definitions?

Why dont you just convert the bin to a cpp with eliteness so its readable? (Which can be found with google, or at the biki).

(Not that it matters, i think that this can only be fixed trough heavy scripting like in OFP, after all the secondary weapon animation is still tied to secondary weapons, and if you change it then you cant use launchers properly)

ok. So making a copy as a secondary wouldn't work because you can't get around the animations.

What about making a new weapon class? is that stuff hard coded? Could that be done through a config? Has it ever been done for OFP or ArmA? I'm just trying to figure out what is the best direction to take.

Perhaps a case or something as a secondary weapon which stores items like the old mapfact rucksacks and you can take the item whenever?

Reconfigging pistol or launcher animations to long-gun animations would probably also be required. In other words, it would be a conversion, not an addon. Would IMO not be compatible with other people not having the mod (multiplayer), and allso, sidearms or launchers would then be unuseable, depending on wich you chose to replace with an additional primary weapon.

It would be seriously cool though, because actually for some roles ingame it would be mighty fine. Like being a sniper with m107 and having a extra m4 laying arround for when the buggers start coming close. wink_o.gif

Yes it would be good and a serious help to my mod, because in ww2 soldiers often carried an M1 garand and a thompson machine gun.Unfortunately for my mod, it hasn't happened.

Often? I'd think that's highly unlikely. Even rarely it sounds unlikely.

I talked to a WWII vetran that hauled fuel to airstrips in WWII, he said he carried a Thompson and an M1.

I made an addon like this for arma myself with m107 and M4A1SD

i didnt release it because i used the same work around as ofp , replacing atlauncher p3d(in the addon unit only) with m107 p3d and M4A1SD p3d when m107 is in hand.

It look works perfect but because i was busy with rl i did not have time to work on the script that will make sure that the player only has the same number of magazines for each gun that they start with , i may have missed an easy simple trick and if anyone can come up with a nice way to achieve it i will dig it out and release no problem.

Thanks for all the ideas and help guys. smile_o.gif

Anybody have any thoughts about adding a new "Class" of weapon? Has this ever been done? Does anybody know where the weapon classes are defined in ArmA?

OT/ I have heard it said by a current member of the Green Berets that he has sometimes carried a carbine and a "long gun" during operations. (It was Hatchetforce for all those who might know the name)

I talked to a WWII vetran that hauled fuel to airstrips in WWII, he said he carried a Thompson and an M1.

See. Most video games and some war films have US soldiers carrying a machinegun+ a rifle.

That's one. Doesn't count as often. And he wasn't a frontline troop which is what ArmA is representing.

@GIJOE:

Games and movies are not reality.

Here's the problem with carrying two guns:

Twice the weight of the guns, twice the ammo to carry. That adds to a lot of weight. P

See. Most video games and some war films have US soldiers carrying a machinegun+ a rifle.

Yes, because videogames and war-movies are always incredibly accurate sources of information. icon_rolleyes.gif

for example: Call of duty games, very realistic if you've played one of them, all 3 games (5 including PC versions) you will notice that you can carry 2 weapons at a time.Usualy its the paratroopers that carry 1 weapon because of all thier equipment.

That's one. Doesn't count as often. And he wasn't a frontline troop which is what ArmA is representing.

@GIJOE:

Twice the weight of the guns, twice the ammo to carry. That adds to a lot of weight. P

Frontline snipers definitely had SMGs often enough with them for close protection. Some snipers had a noteworthy kill count with a weapon other than a rifle. A few extra kilograms doesn't exactly stop someone in good physical condition especially when their life may depend on it.

@GIJOE:

How about this one ,does it count ?

moreriflesix1.jpg

pistols.gifpistols.gifnener.gif

guys, I'm just trying to add something to this game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my question:

Anybody have any thoughts about adding a new "Class" of weapon? Has this ever been done? Does anybody know where the weapon classes are defined in ArmA?

for example: Call of duty games, very realistic if you've played one of them, all 3 games (5 including PC versions) you will notice that you can carry 2 weapons at a time.Usualy its the paratroopers that carry 1 weapon because of all thier equipment.

The developers of the COD series do not aim for realism specifically. They aim to make the player feel like he in in a well made war movie, which I'd say they do pretty damn well.

BIA, a game that features carrying two weapons, can be said to be more realistic, actually isn't either. A 7 man squad takes on up to 60 germans, as well as 5 tanks I counted in one level. Don't use them as references for realism.

The point is they want to provide entertainment, not realism. Do not be fooled by the accurate battles/locations and graphics.

On the other hand, in a modern setting (where weapons are lighter and often smaller, rounds tend to be smaller than the old 7.62mm style), I think it would be a good addition to the game. I mean, if you can carry and assault rifle, aswell as a RPG launcher with a few rounds for it, you should be able to carry an extra rifle and 4-5 mags for it.

@GIJOE:

Frontline snipers definitely had SMGs often enough with them for close protection. Some snipers had a noteworthy kill count with a weapon other than a rifle. A few extra kilograms doesn't exactly stop someone in good physical condition especially when their life may depend on it.

I was aiming towards the WW2 guns. Two rifles plus ammo for those two is a lot of weight.

For snipers it might be a different thing, but for a normal frontline soldier with full body armour and a full load of ammo I do believe that two rifles of different kind would effect his mobility. Not a lot, but enough to slow him down a bit.

@GIJOE: COD is not realistic. If your source are only video games and movies then you need to find better sources.