Sign in to follow this  
frederf

Real artillery ranges on Sahrani map

I've seen a few "OMG wouldn't it be kwelz to have a MLRS" posts around so I thought I'd show an accurate representation of the major forms of US Army and USMC indirect fire support in terms of the range of their unsophisticated rounds with respect to the size of the island. Often the howitzers have a rocket assisted round that has a 150% range compared to their standard HE.

Currently the M119 should be able to hit anywhere on Sahrani from anywhere else on Sahrani. For example one can fire from Rahmadi and hit Antigua.

Enjoy. Discuss.

ArmA_Artillery.gif

If only we could get arty that could be accurately (or at least, semi-accurately) fired for indirect support.

omgz icbm, we definately need that, thanks for the idea!

Sarcasm aside, accuracy is not really arma's strongpoint, resemblance is. So you know... OFP had scuds. Someone modded a nice looking mushroom cloud. Didn't see much use if any and you kind of have to wonder what it's purpose really is in a military sim, plus it loses it's novelty quickly, but still, ArmA can have icbm's, why not. I wouldn't put them in my missions for the same reason, but I have to admit not all of the best missions I've played are the most accurate to life.

Informative map though, cheers.

If only we could get arty that could be accurately (or at least, semi-accurately) fired for indirect support.

If only there was a mod team working on that...

Liiiike...

Chain of Command...

This is very interesting. Too bad BiS didnt do a command line where u can call for arty support using a some kind of grid system. I mean why put in those artillery pieces in game then? And Arma most definitely needs mortars, we miss mortars badly.

Hey all.

I keep checking out these forums just in the vain hope that one day I will find out that CoC has made their arty for Arma. I hope that day will come sooner rather than later. Sigh....

BTW, A scud missile is a Short Range Ballistic Missile, SRBM, not a Inter Continental Ballistic Missile.

and 203mm 2S7 Pion has range in real 37 kilometers biggrin_o.gif

very missing thing in ARMA is some kind of waypoint/trigger for AI to attack some area

if there was something like that in editor, we could easy do mission like

WW2, you are soldier which suppose to attack city, you call for support, artillery fire at city, you run while defenders are in shock, after some seconds artillery stops, you enter city

there should be trigger as "target area" and waypoint as "stop here and fire target area" and in such waypoint time of fire for AI

now we cannot do such mission,

i can make howitzers like i made , but they are useless objects

they are good only for missions like "blow up convoy" or "infiltrate enemy base, put bomb"

it would be super to have such things implemented in mission editor (as missing camera effects)

because we could do mission like "blow SCUD/Gvozdik before our troops arrive" and if you would blow, than you troops win, if you failed in time, there are big loses, and your side lost battle

or missions like, "we are surrounded, take this gun before it wil finish us all"

eh, dreams, dreams

The diagram clearly shows that artillery could hit pretty much anywhere on the map. The islands are so small. With functional FACs there would be very little room for SLA troop maneuvers.

yes Torni, islands are small comparing to real ranges, but in game such big islands are only making performance problems, so i think islands were good even in OFP smile_o.gif

thats why in games we give smaller ranges of fire than in real life (in ARMA, OFP are alomst real, i think maybe scale it to smaller), we must have fluent performance, bigger and bigger islands will only cause LAGs

for me island size is enough, but usage is not enough (what i said about artillery in missions)

WW2, you are soldier which suppose to attack city, you call for support, artillery fire at city, you run while defenders are in shock, after some seconds artillery stops, you enter city

there should be trigger as "target area" and waypoint as "stop here and fire target area" and in such waypoint time of fire for AI

now we cannot do such mission,

Some Ssimple Artillery script which attaches it's targetarea to forexample to gamelogic and then move gamelogic via waypoint and there you have artillerybarrage, which will advance infront of you just like IRL-style (having RL friendlyfire change too xmas_o.gif )

For n00bs it could be made so that it follow player moves (when player advances barrage advances) or "hardcore" style with timed adjustements to barrage (player needs to keep in timeline, if player can't keep up enemy has better change of recovery, or if player advances too fast he ends up in barrage).

Nothing beats the sight of several artillerybatallions bounding their targetareas or AI FO guided fire of several batterys on attacking enemy's neck.

In fact a such script was released some time ago. You can have a barrage activated by a trigger or call arty. And the battery is actually firing. It was configured for Bluefor can just as easy adjusted to work on Opfor side too.

EDIT: You'll find it with the name of Mr_Murray's artillery script or something like that.

Have to add that with 1.08 the stationary gun ranges and engagement ranges seems to have been improved aswell.

I use two d30´s in a mission that engage targets 4 km´s away with forward observer totally unscripted. They shoot pretty precise.

Have to add that with 1.08 the stationary gun ranges and engagement ranges seems to have been improved aswell.

I use two d30´s in a mission that engage targets 4 km´s away with forward observer totally unscripted. They shoot pretty precise.

Is that direct or indirect fire? I mean... there isn't direct fire distances up to 4 km in sahrani... Or is there?

Direct fire.

Just make sure you place artillery on a hill.

Works perfectly. I have 2 emplacements in northern sahrani that do lay fire on incoming targets at the coastline. Both of them are on different hills higher than 100 (if I remember right) and both engage if their forward observer, who is near the scene, orders them to target.

You can also "cheat" the artillery if your surrounding doesn´t fit. Create some flat, solid objects anywhere around your desired covered region, out of sight for players and setpos them into the sky with the AI artillery units on them. If there´s nothing in their virtual LOS they will fight a 360 circle and a big radius from this position, depending where their spotter(s) are. You can have multiple fixed spotters for artillery to cover a huge region.

On a sideeffect (I really like it therefore), once a spotter is discovered and killed the artillery will stop engaging as it´s missing input from the observer.

When Arma was released I have set up a little demo mission to show how it works on my Biki page. The range is rather low there but with the mission I am working on you can see that ranges can be multiplied by finding (creating) suitable places.

In fact a such script was released some time ago. You can have a barrage activated by a trigger or call arty. And the battery is actually firing. It was configured for Bluefor can just as easy adjusted to work on Opfor side too.

EDIT: You'll find it with the name of Mr_Murray's artillery script or something like that.

Yeah like in Air Cav where Arty operator just clicks on map for arty strike, or Hammer of Justice on the dreaded road to Corozol, believe the BMP's in Corozol were acting as spotters. I'd usully went as SF an snuck into Obregan just to laze the Arty for harriers simply because of the havok they caused just tryin to assault Corozol.

The problem is that the shell is deleted after 20 seconds.

Changing the 'timeToLive' parameter in the config for the shells should fix that. You could make an addon that changes it to something like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">timeToLive = 60;

That would make it last 60 seconds. Of course you can make it as high as you need to.

Quote[/b] ]The problem is not the range. The firing angle can be calculated as seen here http:\\dl1.armed-assault.de\\sonstiges\\Artillerie.pdf

That’s just standard parabola maths, you can get it easy enough of the net. It does not work with Arma, Arma takes into account drag, when plotting projectiles.

The statement in the document about Arma's physics being wrong is a bit spurious. If you want to find out if Arma's physics are accurate, you need to use something more complex than that example.

Alex should take the time to read through the forums. It’s been discussed numerous times.

The problem IS island size...It IS toooooo small...

Soo, BI went ahead and made some bigger islands

but they are STILL toooooo small....

pistols.gif

Direct fire.

Just make sure you place artillery on a hill.

Me is very stupid now banghead.gif Those mountains ofcourse... My viewdistance is at 2 km so i can't even think that behind that fog is still something.

If only there was a mod team working on that...

Liiiike...

Chain of Command...

I know there are mod teams that are working on it (and I'm glad one of them is CoC, I loved their arty in OFP), but I was more of talking to bad it isn't in the game NOW.

Interesting diagram. In fact, the artillery wouldn't even have

to be modern kit in order to reach anywhere on Sahrani from

anywhere else. For example, British Divisional Artillery (ie. field

Artillery attached to an Infantry Division) of 1914 could

have done it too - with 3 brigades of 18 pdrs, a brigade of

4.7 inch howitzers and a heavy battery of 60 pdrs firing

HE, "double-HE", smoke, shrapnel, incendiary and [later] gas.

One of my great-grandpas was a gunner (RFA) in France

1914-1918.   notworthy.gif