Sign in to follow this  
ht-57

WoW  arma

Well I went and purchased arma then went to download it!

all I can say is wow. a 16 hour download, 50 kbs for approx 40.00 us dollars what a bargain!

Gee the last thing I DLed on my wireless fiber optic service came in at 1.2 mps. I had a flash back and thought it was 97 I had my aol dailup @ 54kbs baby! on my PENTIUM pc.

Anyway, I cancelled the DL and CANCELLED the charge to my amex!

It looks like it could have been a good game.

Question: Is this game avalible on store shelves In the US, NY to be excact.

Until then so sorry BI.

Why the hell are you blaming BI for your shitty internet connection? And yes, the game should be on shelves in the US.

Also, if you're having a slow download rate it's the internet publisher fault not BIS'.

thats the problem with kids these days, absolutely NO patience. Seriously, you can't find something to do and wait the 16 hours?

And during that 16 hours it most likely would have sped up.

Depends on what hour of the day was trying

Guest Ti0n3r

Welcome to the internets. Get a faster connection? Or buy the game, should be in most stores now.

Lol, did I miss something? I'm reading and rereading ht-57s post and I don't see him saying "BI its all your fault the download is too big and slow". All he did was state that he started downloading it and cancelled because of the long wait, saying he would prefer to buy it as a hard copy (which makes sense, I wouldn't want to sit through a 16 hour download every time I format my hardrive or do a clean install.

Honestly, what's with everyone trying to jump down ppl's throats on this forum all the time? Not what I remember from OFP for sure.

Well I went and purchased arma then went to download it!

all I can say is wow. a 16 hour download, 50 kbs for approx 40.00 us dollars what a bargain!

Gee the last thing I DLed on my wireless fiber optic service came in at 1.2 mps. I had a flash back and thought it was 97 I had my aol dailup @ 54kbs baby! on my PENTIUM pc.

Just wanted to clarify that your old "54kbs" dial-up would have only been downloading at around 5 - 7 Kilobytes/sec max. Sounds like you're getting kilobits and kilobytes mixed up.

I think it's a bad choice to buy the downloadable version of ArmA now. Why bother? Almost all stores (such as Wal-Mart) have had it for a long time now.

Quote[/b] ]All he did was state that he started downloading it and cancelled because of the long wait, saying he would prefer to buy it as a hard copy (which makes sense, I wouldn't want to sit through a 16 hour download every time I format my hardrive or do a clean install.

Well thats not exactly true is it. Lets face it, all he had to do was post one line:

"Can I purchase the game over the counter in the NY area?"

Quote[/b] ]Honestly, what's with everyone trying to jump down ppl's throats on this forum all the time?

Two out of the four replies could be considered derogatry. Hardly think that counts as everyone? Although arguable, I would not consider either of them as being an over reaction, considering the tone of his original post. If you adopt an aggresive stance, expect an aggresive reply.

Two out of the four replies could be considered derogatry. Hardly think that counts as everyone? Although arguable, I would not consider either of them as being an over reaction, considering the tone of his original post. If you adopt an aggresive stance, expect an aggresive reply.

Hehe, yes my bad that was quite a sweeping generalisation. Most people here I've seen post are perfectly polite and helpful. And who knows, maybe I've completely misread the tone of his first post? If he's being sarcastic then fair enough, but I prefer to give ppl the benefit of the doubt with ambiguous statements like 'what a bargain!' and 'so sorry BI'. He might be perfectly genuine which is how I first read it, followed by 2 or 3 fairly offensive replies.

So um like, welcome.gif and I'll shut up before I get acused of fanning flames. goodnight.gif

If your in NY then look around for Armed Assault Combat Operations. Been out since May 1st.

Last time I was in Wal-Mart, they had it for $40.

I live in NY too, btw.

Yup the game is available in Walmart and other game retailers. Have a look around.

Oh, and I also have a downloaded copy. But mine finished downloading in about 2 hours. So it might all depend on internet traffic when you choose to DL or a 1000 other factors. Dont blame ArmA for that.

Every store the sells PC games that I've been into has had it: CompUSA, Best Buy, Wal Mart, Game Stop/EB Games. Get off your ass and go look in a store. Or just order a copy online, is it that hard to wait 2 to 3 days to have it delivered?

Well I just love to stir the pot!

Mr Mehan let me explain abit to help you understand.

Me the CUSTOMER is paying for a service or product.

BI is the MERCHANT whom I,m buying said product from. In this case the product is "software". One would think that the merchant would take great pride in delivering thier product in a TIMELY fashion.As the method of delivery is BI's responsobility.Let me add that there is no forwarning of download times prior to your CHARGE for this product.

Belive it or not I have purchased softwear from other vendors, larger files that have downloaded inside of 30 miniutes or less!

SO, when I was sold said "software" then went to download it,and the popup box said 16+hours @ 50kbs, I really had to question why a merchant of any software product who had any INTEGRETIY,would stand to let thier company name and reputation be attached to such horrid service!

Call me crazy, imature, or whatever!

As for your quote "Why the hell are you blaming BI for your shitty internet connection?"

Let me clarify the elusive statement I have made.My apparent internet connection that is so infested with fecal matter as you would have it is, If I may be redundant..

Wireless Broadband fiberoptic.

Which in laymens terms is "THE FASTEST AVALIBLE internent service to date". The last software I purchased and odly enough Downloaded from this very same "internetconnection" came in at 1.2 MEGAbytes per second. "MEGA" would be latin for "MILLION" as opposed to "kilo" which is latin for "THOUSAND". Add in a compressed or ZIP / WINRAR file format and do the math. I know its alot to wrap ones mind around! I fully realize and understand that every server operates at diffrent speeds dependant on volume or traffic at time of DL. THAT BEING SAID-If I'm selling software on the net I would want it to get there as fast and hassel free to my customers as possible!

But being the imature 40 yr old I am,I've come to expect a certain level of SERVICE.

Now I read the reviews of this game which by the way only rate about 3 out of 5 for the general public,but in lite of that fact I said to my self "self" this seems like my kinda game FPS shooter, lots of realismimmersion if you will in an online format! It supports TrackIR -with alot of attention to detail of such things like my favorite platform, the AR. geez I'm going to run out to my local best buy to get this! As video games are one of my vices or hobbies. The bestbuy near my home is in queens cnty ny. which is one of the burrows of NYC. I know, you say NYC doesn,t really have the population base to warrant a store such as bestbuy to carry such obscure titles as arma, what was I thinking?!..This bestbuy is the size of your average home depot or lowes...It just so happens that they stock just about every title you can think of. But of coarse they don't have arma. Enter the online purchase. So By this time I,m just alittle fustrated!

Come on now people, I have never,ever,not even in the days when I had to use two cans with a string tied between them for an internet connection had to wait 16 hours for a download! I'm certinally not going to start now! Its a matter of principle, My value as a paying customer to a merchant.

Sure I could of opted for Snail mail to get the disc. But one would imagine that it should be at least mathmatically feesable , Dare I say FASTER and eaiser to obtain such a program as arma via the internet by way of "download" in the year 2007? Why certainaly technology has advanced to this degree? But alas' I am but a simple cave man!

The REALITY is I could of had it sent it overnight fedex and I would have received the disc before the file downloaded, that's just not right! Perhaps that type of service is ok for you Mr Mehan.

Here's a good rule of thumb. Someone else has posted this gem in this thread ,you would be well advised to heed it. Don't settle for any program that takes longer to download then a complete operating system format and reinstall and a roundtrip flight to florida!

OK I added the florida part, But Living five miniutes from the united terminal of kenndy international ,I could beat the download! Thats with the os reinstall.I'd be cutting it close but very,very possible.

This is by no means an intended bashing thread, moreso its a rant or vent for service that sucks! As a cash paying customer I vote with my dollars. I'm so sorry to offend anyone who would settle for that kind of service, let us agree to disagree then!

Hey your right,walmart great idea! Thanks! and hey after all, its just a game! banghead.gif

I found my ArmA on the bottom self of the PC games at Gamestop.

It was the only copy.

@ht-57:

I can understand your problem, but I have a few points to make:

1. You're mixing something up here. BI is not the "merchant", they are the creator. The merchant, as you call it, would be the publisher. Whatever you might think, you weren't downloading the game directly from BI.

2. You paid 40.00$ for software, not for unlimited download bandwidth. And no, they are not obliged to inform you how long the download will take, before you buy.

3. If you decided to cancel your download, and indeed your purchase of ArmA, why the hell are you bothering us with it?

4. Judging by the tone, grammar and spelling of your posts, I'm somehow not convinced that you are 40 years old. No offense.

ht-57

Most probably you purchased and downloaded it from Atari. Complain there if you're unhappy with the download speed. There's nothing BI can do here, so complaining here is totally useless.

Quote[/b] ]Which in laymens terms is "THE FASTEST AVALIBLE internent service to date". The last software I purchased and odly enough Downloaded from this very same "internetconnection" came in at 1.2 MEGAbytes per second. "MEGA" would be latin for "MILLION" as opposed to "kilo" which is latin for "THOUSAND". Add in a compressed or ZIP / WINRAR file format and do the math. I know its alot to wrap ones mind around! I fully realize and understand that every server operates at diffrent speeds dependant on volume or traffic at time of DL. THAT BEING SAID-If I'm selling software on the net I would want it to get there as fast and hassel free to my customers as possible!

Its a 1,2megabit connection, which is roughly 150 kilobytes, minus the overhead would leave a maximum download speed of 135kilobytes per second.

It would have most likelely speed up after a while, and if it didnt then it would still be only 16 hours, its not like your PC is inaccesible in that time, just, sleep, eat, go to work and complain on this forum in the meantime. tounge2.gif

Good things come to those who wait seems to be the most apt phrase.

Oh and your knowledge of ancient languages is somewhat lacking: kilo and mega are Greek.

lol what a laugh...

kid bis is only providing the game.. not your internet connection..

just head the store..

oh wait... you polly have to wait in a que aswell to pay it...

its a great game but...

it takes to long to get it...