Sign in to follow this  
Törni

RACS M60A3

THE SECOND UPDATE FOR M60A3 IS OUT

The royal armored fist is here - again. The link to the latest 1.2 release below.

RACS_M60A3_139223.jpgRACS_M60A3_b_139229.jpg

http://rapidshare.com/files/44039386/M60A3_1.2.zip.html

RELEASE 1.2 NOTES:

- Moved the center of mass downwards so no flipped over tanks any more when AI is driving

- Interiors in place

- Minor tweaks to ensure that M60A3 is fully ArmA compatible

RELEASE 1.1 NOTE:

This is the hotfix of the RACS M60A3. It fixes the reported AI targeting issues.

The following updates will include:

- custom sounds

- high resolution textures with normal and specular maps

- detailed interiors

- re-work of meshes/lods continues

Happy hunting (even for the AI now)!

Woohoo ! Great, downloading right away !

EDIT : After a quick test on Rahmadi, I came up with these:

- the tank is nice

- the texture still needs some work, but fits well after all

- it's hard to stand up to a pack of T72 !

- the tank has a tendency to enter a spin, either after getting a disabled track or a killed driver

- it's weird to see 20 M60 spin around harmlessly, with dead crews all around ^^

- it's a very nice addition to the game !

Thanks Törni (and Sigma6 and Inquisitor, too) for this tank. Keep up the very nice work. I saw that the tools are closed to being released. Maybe you can add all those nice textures, improving shadows, shining effects, etc...

Other than some value tweaking, that's still needed, it's great !

Malick

You notice the difference wink_o.gif

Because for example BMD-1 did not have all damage effects working properly. You'll either destroy it entirely or it works normally. But as I said it still under developement. Future releases will follow.

Notice also destroyed gun effect. Something you did not see with BMD-1 either.

Didn't take a full test off it yet, but I can still give you some feedback:

+ Looks and feels great enough.

+ Can disable a T-72 with one well placed Sabot-Round.

- I don't like the standard BIS M1A1 sounds. (Engine and detonation sound of the shell/sabot)

- The textures in the tracks area still need some work.

And can you please add it for the U.S (BLUFOR) Forces too. I have no experience about Addon-Editing etc...

-------

Anyway it's not bad at all. I like it! smile_o.gif I wouldn't mind seeing it in a Desert Color scheme like this:

81507.jpeg <--Clicky

Just look at the first post. The work continues.  smile_o.gif Just wanted to give you something to try on.

A Blufor addon is an easy matter. Do U.S. military actually still field M60-series of tanks? All I know that Marines used them in Iraq.

Just look at the first post. The work continues. smile_o.gif Just wanted to give you something to try on.

Yeah yeah I know. tounge2.gif And it's great for being a "first release" version. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Do U.S. military actually still field M60-series of tanks? All I know that Marines used them in Iraq.

Nope not anymore, but it was heavily used by the USMC Armored Forces during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. It knocked out several T-55's & T-62's in the desert of Kuwait where the Marines fought.

Anyway I would appreciated it alot If you added it for Blufor also in a later version/release. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Do U.S. military actually still field M60-series of tanks? All I know that Marines used them in Iraq.

Nope not anymore, but it was heavily used by the USMC Armored Forces during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. It knocked out several T-55's & T-62's in the desert of Kuwait where the Marines fought.

Anyway I would appreciated it alot If you added it for Blufor also in a later version/release. wink_o.gif

Doesn't the national guard still have a bunch of them sitting around?

In a case that U.S. gets ivanded by space aliens they roll them out? tounge2.gif

@Colonel Sanders:

Quote from Wikipedia:

Quote[/b] ]As of 2005, M60 variants are in service with Austria, Bahrain, Bosnia, Brazil, Egypt, Greece, Israel, Portugal, Spain, Singapore, Turkey, Taiwan, Thailand and some other nations to varying degrees.

Also, the US continues to have significant stockpiles of them waiting to be scrapped, sold-off, or converted, although some vehicles that use the chassis are still in use. Most of those still used are much upgraded models. Pattons formed the basis for many 'new' tank designs, some using the chassis but with all-new turrets others using various upgrade packages.

So the last time it was in active service for the U.S Military, was during Desert Storm.

--------------------------------

EDIT:

Anyway I started up the Editor again, M60 vs the Abrams and the T-72. It has some trouble to attack. The BIS M1A1 vs T-72 can fire on eachother without making "Destroy waypoints".

While with the M60, I had to make a "Destroy Waypoint" onto the enemy tank. It engaged it very very close too btw. (Around 100 ingame meters)  crazy_o.gif I used one of the big the PMC Desert Islands in the editor, If that makes any difference.

Quote[/b] ]some vehicles that use the chassis are still in use

I'll bet they are something like engineering, recovery vehicles etc. I seriously doubt that they would be used as first line MBTs anymore.

yes, i wait for US version in camo to 1985 smile_o.gif

please smile_o.gif

what concerns this comment

"- it's hard to stand up to a pack of T72 !"

if we care about realism and paramters of game my opinion:

US tank M60 was very heavy tank, had a lot of things, but was not so strong as T72, T72 is almost 16 tons lighter, better for bad terrain, M60 is tank made from M48,

T72 was new construction with modern for its time armour, even with some composites, M60 only steel

US M60 is worse than Soviet tank, you can compare M60 to something between T55 and T72

so i think addon is made properly smile_o.gif

T72 was than strongest tank in 70'ties , it had autoloader, it was light and had composite armor,

M60 was US answer to T55, Malick remember about it commenting like that

Quote[/b] ]Anyway I started up the Editor again, M60 vs the Abrams and the T-72. It has some trouble to attack. The BIS M1A1 vs T-72 can fire on eachother without making "Destroy waypoints".

It is infact the same with all addon tanks so far. Only missiles which can lock engage at proper ranges. It is peculiar since at some times they just won't engage. Then you move the initial setup a few meters and everything is totally different. The same scenario with a different computer a totally different behavior.

Note: And AI gunners usually undershoot. The big question is do BIS vehicles use some cheat?

I'm looking into this.

EDIT: Just look how high target a M60 tank is compared to a T-72. Which is easier to hit in a long range gun duel? They can both knock each other out with a well placed shot. 90's was the turning point when U.S. introduced fighting machines which Soviets could not match.

EDIT: Just look how high target a M60 tank is compared to a T-72. Which is easier to hit in a long range gun duel?

Hehe yeah. That turret is pretty huge, so the M60 is definatley an easier target. biggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

- M60's height: 3.3 meters.

- T-72's height: 2.2 meters.

I found that the sound of the turrent turning seemed to cut out and/or go extremely quiet under some circumstances, though this might be unrelated to the addon and more related to the sound card. Bring on my new Alienware laptop! biggrin_o.gif

Great addon though!

Quote[/b] ]I found that the sound of the turrent turning seemed to cut out and/or go extremely quiet under some circumstances

The M60A3 still uses the default ingame BIS sounds for M1A1.

what concerns this comment

"- it's hard to stand up to a pack of T72 !"

if we care about realism and paramters of game my opinion:

US tank M60 was very heavy tank, had a lot of things, but was not so strong as T72, T72 is almost 16 tons lighter, better for bad terrain, M60 is tank made from M48,

T72 was new construction with modern for its time armour, even with some composites, M60 only steel

US M60 is worse than Soviet tank, you can compare M60 to something between T55 and T72

so i think addon is made properly smile_o.gif

T72 was than strongest tank in 70'ties , it had autoloader, it was light and had composite armor,

M60 was US answer to T55, Malick remember about it commenting like that

Don't worry vilas !

I know that... The T72 is far superior to it in the real world, so I guess we are pretty clos to realism here. It was just a comment.

In a recent mission I quickly created, 6 M60 wait for 4 T72. The M60s take at least 10 more seconds to engage than their enemy. Needless to say, they get squashed, knowing that they have a less powerful gun. When you add the stupid AI behaviour to this...

This happens whatever their rank and skill, I believe it's a matter of config. Alas, i do not have access to config.cpp as I wanted to have a look at it.

Malick

Alas, i do not have access to config.cpp as I wanted to have a look at it.

Just unpbo the addon and unbin the cpp. Easy. If you solve the problem, I'm sure the author would like to know how.

It's the same kind of behavior with BMD-1 and Hind. I'll test configs for the next release. But post any discoveries here.

nice work mate! thumbs-up.gif

I know that addon is still in middle of progress, but I think that the camouflage isn't right for RACS...

othervise, nice addon! wink_o.gif

Nice piece of work. Waiting for the new sounds !

@Colonel Sanders:

Quote from Wikipedia:

Quote[/b] ]As of 2005, M60 variants are in service with Austria, Bahrain, Bosnia, Brazil, Egypt, Greece, Israel, Portugal, Spain, Singapore, Turkey, Taiwan, Thailand and some other nations to varying degrees.

Also, the US continues to have significant stockpiles of them waiting to be scrapped, sold-off, or converted, although some vehicles that use the chassis are still in use. Most of those still used are much upgraded models. Pattons formed the basis for many 'new' tank designs, some using the chassis but with all-new turrets others using various upgrade packages.

So the last time it was in active service for the U.S Military, was during Desert Storm.

--------------------------------

EDIT:

Anyway I started up the Editor again, M60 vs the Abrams and the T-72. It has some trouble to attack. The BIS M1A1 vs T-72 can fire on eachother without making "Destroy waypoints".

While with the M60, I had to make a "Destroy Waypoint" onto the enemy tank. It engaged it very very close too btw. (Around 100 ingame meters) crazy_o.gif I used one of the big the PMC Desert Islands in the editor, If that makes any difference.

As allways wiki is wrong. I believe south sahrani forces have these

tanks too goodnight.gifgoodnight.gif