Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VF RealSoundPatch V1 for Arma 1.08

= INCLUDES PATCH AND MOD VERSION =

= CURRENT VERSION 1.2 for V1.08 =

I have decided to release my sound patch for Arma. Maybe you like it. Sound is all a matter of taste, so there's different sound packs out there already that serve different purposes. I like mine since it based on real sounds I captured from different original footage. During intense battle and with EAX turned on it really creates a nice battle atmosphere for me.

You need 7zip to deflate this (www.7-zip.org), the best program for compressing sound data.

So welcome to a different experience. All the real sounds were captured from live footage of current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. I reworked the sounds a lot, still you might notice slight background noises in some of the sounds. More so if you use earphones instead of speakers. But hey, life ain't no recording studio smile_o.gif

LINK:

VF_RealSoundV12

Changed sounds include (30 in total so far):

====================================

AK74SU, AK74, PK, Dragunov, RPG, DsHk, M4, M16, G36, Handgrenades, M136, M24, M240, M249, M2, Riflegrenades, several explosions, MP5, MP5 silenced, Gun120

Installation method 1: using a patched "weapons.pbo" file.

==========================================================

1. Backup your Arma/Addons/weapons.pbo! This is important. For future updates and patches you will need the original files. No messing with game files if you don't have a backup!

2. Open the "FilePatchGen" directory and run "FilePatch.exe". The "File to patch" is your Arma weapons.pbo, the "Patch file" is my .ptc file and the "New patched file" is the file you want to create using my patch.

3. Take the new file afterwards, rename it to weapons.pbo and overwrite the orginal file with this. And think of step 1 before! No backup no patch!

Installation method 2: using a mod folder

==========================================================

1. Browse to your game directory, create a folder called "@VFSound". In "@VFSound", create another folder called "Addons".

2. Open the "FilePatchGen" directory and run "FilePatch.exe".

2.1 The "File to patch" is your Arma weapons.pbo (\Arma\Addons\weapons.pbo)

2.2 The "Patch file" is the supplied VF_RealSoundVxx.ptc file

2.3 The "New patched file" is the new weapons.pbo for the mod folder (\Arma\@VFSound\Addons\weapons.pbo)

3.Start Arma.exe with the "-mod=@VFSound" parameter to use the sounds

To do

=====

- Pistol sounds needed

Known Bugs

==========

The grenade throw sound ("Grenade!!!") is also played when taking grenades from an ammo box. I don't know why this has been configured like this. Sometimes the same sound does not get played at all when throwing a grenade.

Revisions

=========

1.0 Initial release

1.1 Added single MGun shots instead of burst samples, new M203 grenade sound (east + west)

1.2 New / changed sounds: G36, M4, Grenade launcher,SVD, MP5 silenced, MP5, instructions for MOD included

© 2007 Victor Farbau

Lurking around in the Arma forums:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....SC;c=14

Just testing it while writing this.

Please take no offense, i´m trying to give somconstructive criticism, off course it´s just my opinion tounge2.gif

Make all sounds louder (at least +3.0dB)

Add some bass

exchange M240 & M249 sounds

Otherwise it´s all ver promising smile_o.gif

I tried out the pack for a while, and I must say it is pretty impressive. Anyone looking for sounds to replace the originals should give this pack at least a try. Thanks!

I think Mr Burns' assessment is pretty fair. I have my sound turned down a lot because many of the game's default sounds are WAY too loud, especially if you are trying to use voice communication. So when I try to use this sound pack the weapons are pretty quiet. I understand that you are just trying to avoid making the weapons too loud and becoming an annoyance.

I would say to ditch the m240 sound altogether and find another source for it. I of course have never fired one or been near one while it was being fired, but it just sounds off to me for some reason. Everything else sounds great.

One last question though for anyone who knows the answer. Are the GP-25 and M203 firing sounds linked together? Is there a dedicated GP-25 fire sound and a M203 fire sound or is it just one generic grenade launcher fire sound file? The reason why I ask this is because the GP-25 sounds quite different than the conventional grenade launcher sound that the M203 makes in real life, though I cannot speak from experience. The VOG-25 is quite different than the 40mm grenade that the M203 uses seeing as the primer and propellant is contained within the projectile itself. If anyone cares to enlighten/correct me feel free.

I absolutely love the sounds, as a single sound when testing it they maybe sound a bit off some of them, but in battle they sound incredible good, you get a very good feeling of the ambient battle that goes on arround you I missed that in some of the other sound mods

I think the feedback is fair enough. Funny thing is that the Mgun sounds are original as well smile_o.gif Ok, I admit that I captured and used a burst (3x) instead of single shots. I did try to use single shots but then the samples did not even remotely sound like Mguns anymore. Except for the RPK which is still ok somehow.

About the volume - it's odd but for me they are exactly as loud as the original game sounds. Maybe due to my settings, I have set all other sounds to 7/10 and only gun sounds to 10/10 as this is mostly how our ears perceive the environment my mind.

I will continue to look for good original samples (news, youtube, movies) and will try to update some of the sounds as they become available to me. So far that's all the material I got and managed to make useable.

Regards,

Victor

you get a very good feeling of the ambient battle that goes on arround you I missed that in some of the other sound mods

I think this statement about sums it up. I've been using this since I downloaded it and I think I will stick with it for this reason. In my opinion this is the best sound pack out there. This is probably due to the fact that you used actual clips from the real weapons. The more I play with the pack, the more I've grown to like the m240 sound as well.

Good to hear about possible updates, but I'll be enjoying this version for awhile. Thanks again and job well done.

EDIT: I decided to reapply the patch to the weapons.pbo, and that seemed to fix my issue with the sound. They are back on par with the original sounds. Dunno if that actually did something or if it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

Except for the RPK which is still ok somehow.

There's an RPK in ArmA? huh.gif

No, it's a common error that people add the R when talking about the PK. I had some bloke do it in my clan and I got so sick of it I chastised him over TS.

Look people,

PK = heavy, 7.62mm Russian machinegun. Also has PKM and PKT versions.

RPK = 7.62mm light Russian squad automatic weapon, basically an AK47 with an extended gas chamber, barrel, bipod and larger capacity magazine.

RPK74 = 5.45mm rechambered version of the above.

I have reworked the M240 and M249 sound samples to single shots. I think after an extensive makeover they sound pretty good now.

Also added a new and better explosion sound for rifle grenades.

The updated information and link is in the original post.

Regards,

Victor

ok tried the first version, and I see where u got the sounds (the afganistan videos from scott peterson???) The sounds are pretty accurate, but with m4 and m16 theres a "boom" along the sound u have in them. I dont know if the "boom" os too damped, but to me they sound like airguns ATM. I love the fact that u pulled these sounds of an actual combat footage, and I bet u will get the sound s right. Dunno if its gotta do with evolution lag, and desync, but sometimes i got killed, and heard no gunfire anywhere.

ok tried the new version and IMO the sounds need more base. Still sounding like airguns..

I just tried out the new version Victor. Top notch stuff! It really makes the game a lot more enjoyable when you have realistic sounds like yours to keep you immersed in the action.

I didn't get a chance to check out your mod because I refuse to modify the original files packed with ArmA. This is more or less *my* problem. I would definitely give it a go if you considered making an addon based replacement pack, though.

I didn't get a chance to check out your mod because I refuse to modify the original files packed with ArmA. This is more or less *my* problem. I would definitely give it a go if you considered making an addon based replacement pack, though.

actually had a nightmare the other night, that my weapons.pbo was fucked, and I couldn't zoom with acog tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

aaaaaanyways, mister modmaker, Could u consider adding the "boom" on the weapon sounds, its the only thing im missing in this mod, and it reallly would make my day.

still sounds like airguns smile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

@Plaintiff: Creating a mod of this is not on my agenda. As said, too much hassle with config files and mods already in MP. With a backup of your weapons.pbo you're safe. This patch just exchanges some sound files, no fishy stuff. However, I respect your choice.

@Puma: I think you need to read my first post again:

Quote[/b] ]Sound is all a matter of taste, so there's different sound packs out there already that serve different purposes.

So reconsider your continuous statements about "sounds like airguns". I won't modify the sounds to give'em more boom or bang or whatever. I try to clean the samples but leave'em for the most part as they are. That is exactly what creates the real sound environment for me in big battles. There's other mods out there with more synthetic and boosted sounds that might serve your needs.

Cheers,

Victor

victor, congratulation.

your sound pack is really excellent. my favourite i must recognize.

it sound real. incredibly real.

(i never fired with a military firearm , but few carabines , and the sound wave after ignition is often louder than ignition itslef)

Victor, thank you for this addon. I think it has great potential, however I also think that, at the moment, it is fundamentally flawed because the sounds are all too 'tinny' with almost no bass at all.

To my ear your gunshots sound too much like recordings (made on low grade camcorder or mobile phone mics then compressed on youtube which only leaves the higher frequencies) rather than real, punchy gunshots. I would suggest you load them all into an EQ in a wave editor (sound forge, wavelab etc.) and add some bass to compensate for the high frequency bias - I would be happy to help here if necessary.

I dont mean to be too critical; I respect your hard work and would love to give this pack another try in the future, it just sounds too 'thin' for me at the moment compared to FDF mod et al.

Cheers

Mandrake

Victor, thank you for this addon. I think it has great potential, however I also think that, at the moment, it is fundamentally flawed because the sounds are all too 'tinny' with almost no bass at all.

To my ear your gunshots sound too much like recordings (made on low grade camcorder or mobile phone mics then compressed on youtube which only leaves the higher frequencies) rather than real, punchy gunshots. I would suggest you load them all into an EQ in a wave editor (sound forge, wavelab etc.) and add some bass to compensate for the high frequency bias - I would be happy to help here if necessary.

I dont mean to be too critical; I respect your hard work and would love to give this pack another try in the future, it just sounds too 'thin' for me at the moment compared to FDF mod et al.

Cheers

Mandrake

thats what I was telling him, the sounds are nice, bu they need a bit of polishing, like the dude said, add some bass in it, and they're perfect then. Im loving ur sound pack ATM, and just giving u some feedback...

btw have u noticed that the echo of the gunshots have bass in them and they sound the way they should.

Great Sound Mod Victor, keep it up!. smile_o.gif.

Listen constructive words from others and your mod will evolve into very, very nice modification.

Upon my return from vacation (leaving tonight) I am more open for the suggestions I guess.

For the equalizer suggestion: actually I played with that a bit to add some bass in the beginnig - but there's a very fine line between no effect at all and distortion. I found that this would do more damage than good. And I wonder if it will do any good to the atmosphere but it's a matter of taste in the end. We will see.

Cheers,

Victor

Upon my return from vacation (leaving tonight) I am more open for the suggestions I guess.

For the equalizer suggestion: actually I played with that a bit to add some bass in the beginnig - but there's a very fine line between no effect at all and distortion. I found that this would do more damage than good. And I wonder if it will do any good to the atmosphere but it's a matter of taste in the end. We will see.

Cheers,

Victor

maybe u could use the echo sounds for the gunshot sounds. As it is the echos sounds allmost perfect.

Rather then continue whining, I modified your soundpack to remove those pesky sounds and added my own, also gained from footage from conflicts, mainly from Fallujah (ty Youtube).

I am still to fix the shortened echo's on the M4.

CHANGED: M16/AK/M4/M240 + M203 Launch Sound.

Mirror:

http://rapidshare.com/files/38291646/updatedsounds.rar.html

Extract the patched weapons.pbo and put the new .wss files in:

\weapons\Data\Sound\

NOTE:

Do not become confused with

\weapons\Sound\.

Please know that this is VF's soundpack and I merely changed the M4/M16/AK sounds because of my own and others complaints that they were too 'soft'. wink_o.gif

EDIT: Will be updating these sounds, as they are still not the desired. tounge2.gif

I really like your sounds mate. Sounds eapecially good on the 2-way firing range. Very atmospheric.

EDIT: Will be updating these sounds, as they are still not the desired.  tounge2.gif

Nicely done Rom, and VF. I'll give these a shwing for a while.