Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

64 player servers are a joke.

why do people keep making 64 player severs on the hold maps, when its clear they cannot run them without horrible lagg. Wouldn't it make more sense to reduce the amount of players and at least be able to have a good game.

The Maps are made for 64 so if they were made

for

32 then you dont need to change the server.

I've played on many servers with 64 players and expierenced no lag at all smile_o.gif

I've played on many servers with 64 players and expierenced no lag at all  

Well can you name the server or servers you are talking about that have no lag. I have a 4 meg connection and have also played on many servers. Unfortunatly when they get to around 44 players they have all lagged.

By saying "64 players" are you saying you have played on loads of servers with that number of players playing. If this is the case then i find what you write hard to belive. Why? because there isn't loads of servers with that number of players playing.

I've played on many servers with 64 players and expierenced no lag at all  smile_o.gif

I dont believe that, even if you have no or little lag at all it doesn't mean half the others dont. The server limit seems to be around 40 until problems start, and for the most part it's not a server or player bandwidth problem either.

Not to mention the problem the server has when someone connects and gives no bandwidth to the players allready in the mission.

Yeah, and for what sake we have this 20 km^2 big island to play on it with 32 players, this game can only show its true potential with massive battles with 100 and more players but what the f**k server lag already with 44 players, way to go BIS.

Lag starts to really set in, it seems, when the server starts to run low on memory. Answer: upgrade the server!

Although it's good to have at least one thread here

not dealing with ppl not being able to start ArmA biggrin_o.gif

but does this one really belong to troubleshooting?

I'd say general or multiplayer. whistle.gif

~S~ CD

another reason to see in server query what CPU type/speed and RAM are on server smile_o.gif

another reason to see in server query what CPU type/speed and RAM are on server smile_o.gif

Another reason to release the linux server ASAP as

- many admins do run Windows in a virtual machine on top of Linux, which eats a great deal of power

- rented Linux servers tend to offer better hardware specs at the same price

- many admins do run Windows in a virtual machine on top of Linux, which eats a great deal of power

Can't stress it enough : Linux dedicated is a necessity, we're at loss without it.

And it better comes quick smile_o.gif

Can't stress it enough : Linux dedicated is a necessity, we're at loss without it.

You forgot to add 2 important details that

that such server must support multicores/multiple CPUs and 64bit (4+GB smile_o.gif) natively ...

then 256 players battles may turn into reality smile_o.gif

Yeah, and for what sake we have this 20 km^2 big island to play on it with 32 players, this game can only show its true potential with massive battles with 100 and more players but what the f**k server lag already with 44 players, way to go BIS.

AI should be used to fill up the empty space on the island... wink_o.gif

Names of Servers

SucideESquad: 195.20.109.77:2302

-=Kellys Heroes=- : 87.106.82.203:7757

MCY Server: 85.14.218.177:3300

The only maps that ever lags for me is Evolution. And that is due to the mission itself not the server, the above servers run CTF's, C&H, and DM's fine without lag for hours ... so please check more before you begin to critise smile_o.gif

Names of Servers

The only maps that ever lags for me is Evolution. And that is due to the mission itself not the server, the above servers run CTF's, C&H, and DM's fine without lag for hours ... so please check more before you begin to critise  smile_o.gif

what is the peak number of players? i remember i tried one with 32 in a coop

that such server must support multicores/multiple CPUs and 64bit (4+GB smile_o.gif) natively ...

Our server on OGN has 2x Opterons = 4 cores and 4GB ram, we have tried many different things and I dont see how it's possible to have such huge games with the current server.exe

Our server on OGN has 2x Opterons = 4 cores and 4GB ram, we have tried many different things and I dont see how it's possible to have such huge games with the current server.exe

Yup, not possible atm.

Hopefully a basic linux port may enhance the situation (not sure at all, though). But the request was for a Linux port supporting multi Core/CPU and x64 architecture. Ie a wayyyyy better "server.exe" than the one used atm wink_o.gif

But if BI is on rewriting the code for Linux, they may as well go deep in recoding and get at least the multi-threaded aspect done well

Names of Servers

The only maps that ever lags for me is Evolution. And that is due to the mission itself not the server, the above servers run CTF's, C&H, and DM's fine without lag for hours ... so please check more before you begin to critise  smile_o.gif

I am writing about C&H games only, you are not. Of the servers you have mentioned, one of these servers mainly plays Coops and the other mainly CTF. Also you wrote that you played on loads of 64 player servers with no lag, do you call 3 servers loads. Even of the servers you have mentioned above i have rarly even seen them playing C&H.

Names of Servers

The only maps that ever lags for me is Evolution. And that is due to the mission itself not the server, the above servers run CTF's, C&H, and DM's fine without lag for hours ... so please check more before you begin to critise smile_o.gif

I am writing about C&H games only, you are not. Of the servers you have mentioned, one of these servers mainly plays Coops and the other mainly CTF. Also you wrote that you played on loads of 64 player servers with no lag, do you call 3 servers loads. Even of the servers you have mentioned above i have rarly even seen them playing C&H.

You are mistaken, I have played C&H on these servers and they have been fine.

If you wish to continue to critise ArmA please go somewhere else as I don't have the time for it ... smile_o.gif

Names of Servers

You are mistaken, I have played C&H on these servers and they have been fine.

If you wish to continue to critise ArmA please go somewhere else as I don't have the time for it ...  smile_o.gif

Well it seems others in this thread have had lag problems aswell, so i suggest you go somewhere else. You are somebody who swears black is white, so there is know point arguing with you.

I didn't say you havn't ever played C&H on these servers. I said these servers rarly play them. I know this because i play the fricken game 4 nights a week, so i know MCY play mainly CTF and DM, and kellys heroes Coop.

I also know my game lags, and struggles after about 44 players in C&H, or why would i be writing this fricken thread.

Imagine 200 player CTI's. Planetside has 399 players per zone the biggest fights online for the last 4 years. Was hoping that ArmA would provide similar numbers with a combination of Humans and AI players.

Could we see this in the future?

Imagine 200 player CTI's.  Planetside has 399 players per zone the biggest fights online for the last 4 years.  Was hoping that ArmA would provide similar numbers with a combination of Humans and AI players.  

Could we see this in the future?

Yes i belived this to, after listening to placebo on a radio chat show. When he spoke of 100 player battles and animals (that i don't even see) running for cover when all hell breaks lose. That sold the game to me, but i havn't seen either yet.