Sign in to follow this  
want2clock

Performance issues

Since I don´t have what ppl will call a fast pc, I need to know the fastest settings. So my question is: Should V-sync and W-buffer be enabled? Which setting should Auto drop down have?

What is the consequences of raising the frame-rate-o-meter in the Options menu. My crappy specs are:

IBM Aptiva P3-600,128,TNT-2 M64 32 mb.

You would benefit from upgrading your CPU, graphics card and RAM, but the game should still be playable on you system. The P3-600 is your best part. Just for your interest, the game uses about 350mb while running and >500mb while saving games. <256mb would probably show up as frequent small pauses.

Sorry, use the lowest resolution 640x480x16, Your TNT2 m64 will slow significantly at higher res or color depth.

Enable W-Buffer. This will get rid of ugly artifacts while running in 16bit mode.

Always disable V-sync in your driver or game unless you have an option called 'tripple buffer'

I believe 'auto drop downs' are multi - textured overlays on the terrain that make it appear smoothly textured at near and far distances. The lower numbers will increase speed, but reduce image quality. Set this as low as possible (ie what ever you can live with visually).

Don't even think of shadows, but do leave cloudlets on, although heavy smoke is a killer, the blood and dirt effects are important for game play.

I have auto dropdown set to none, and I've tweaked my direct3d driver settings so that it will automipmap at -0.9 (this causes everything to be very sharp-ish) smile.gif

Thanx guys.

It really helps a lot, since I don´t know sh.t about hard/software settings. Although I am going to aquire a totally new machine shortly. I will go for at least 512 mb ram, and above 1.5 gHz. Also I am considering Gforce 3 ti200. Do any af you guys run OFP 1600 x 1200. If so, what are your specs? :)

I'm running OFP in 1600x1200x32 and have a Athlon 1Ghz, Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra, 768 Mb ram

I think the 3d card is last to give up, as changing my visuals don't change game speed. Sometimes on busy maps I can get frame drops and think it's the processor having a hard time with AI, etc.

Another hint about this is that I can play Max Payne in 1600x1200x32 with max visuals and no frame drop at all.

So I think it's because OFP uses the processor alot.

So I'd recommend a CPU well above 1Ghz if you wanna play huge maps and have max settings.

Personally, I'm waiting for a 3Ghz tounge.gif

Hope it's useful.

Most of what everyone said was mumbo-jumbo to me. So can you tell me how to get a good looking game with crappy vid card? 16mb TNT Nvidia. 1Ghz Duron. 256mb SDRAM.

also I still have no sound. Integrated sound on mobo.

sad.gif

I managed to turn vsynch off, but still no improvements...

My system:

Pentium III 700

512MB PC133 RAM

Creative Geforce 2 PRO 64MB DDR

I run the game at 1024x768 in 32bit colour (when I click on autodetect it changes it to this), but its not good.....

Multiplayer is the worst for me... get about 3fps sometimes when hosting even with a cablemodem

SIR THIS RECRUIT SUGGESTS THE SENIOR DRILL INSTRUCTOR THROW THAT ANTIQUE PIECE OF CRAP IN THE SHIT CAN, AND HEAD DOWN TO THE PX TO BUY A NEW ONE, OR BUILD IT YOURSELF SIR! YOUR TRYING TO USE A KIFE IN A GUNFIGHT!

yeah m8, coz we all have Å1500 to throw around on a new PC!

I run OFP with

*PIII 700mhz

*128mb

*Geforce 256 (overclocked, tweaked extensively)

@1024x768 32bit just fine for the missions in my campaign, most of which have loads of stuff going on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ Feb. 17 2002,10:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and I've tweaked my direct3d driver settings so that it will automipmap at -0.9 (this causes everything to be very sharp-ish) smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds interesting, where would one find that setting? smile.gif

Sounds interesting, where would one find that setting?------------

use rivatuner(look in www.guru3d.com) to adjust LOD BIAS setting under the Direct3d option......i use 0.8...... smile.gif

No. W-Buffer may help with people in 16bit color mode, normally people should have 32bit color, and disable W-buffer.

From what I understand, VSync merely limits your FPS so that it doesn't surprass the refresh rate. Since refresh rates are commonly at least 60hz, it shouldn't effect you unless you reach that framerate.

I'd leave it on. When the game tries to render faster than the display updates itself, you could have trouble.

60hz is the default refresh rate. It's also the one that will give you a headache after 5 minutes. Optimal refresh rates, are the ones above 85hz. (75 is ok, but still flashing).

Hey Gunny,

If you are running a Duron Proc, then you probably have a AGP graphics port. Go to BestBuy,CompUSA, or some store like that and grab a sale flyer. Look for a GeForce AGP card either 32mb or 64mb depending on the amount of cash you want to spend. Take the old card out, install the new one and fire it up. Windows will see the new card and ask for the driver disk/CD. You should see a difference in OFP. But.... on the other hand... if you computer has onboard video, we might have a problem... Do you still have the paperwork that came with the PC?

Burl

Ha! Just read my old post on this revived subject. I found out what 'auto drop downs are'. They are nothing to do with macro-textured terrain.

It simply allows the game to drop detail (both geometry and texture resolution) when game performance drops rather than with distance. 2x, 4x etc. limits the amount it can drop so theoretically 8x (or whatever the largest number was) should be fastest since the game can degrade image quality lots to assist performance. I find the opposite though. The game spends so much time changing detail, it both runs faster and looks better if auto-drop downs are turned off.