Sign in to follow this  
PaulHargreaves

how do i adjust.......

how do i adjust a p3d (if it is a p3d) into a model editor called blender as im trying to take the landrover thats a defualt model in arma and turn it into a british landrover huh.gif please help

o u got blender i installed that off a cd from a magazine only i ditnt have a clue how to use it lol

Thats helpful icon_rolleyes.gif

The only way I know of, is by using a (VERY) old tool that pre-dates O2 itself called P3D2OBJ (and you'll also get its reverse-process counterpart OBJ2P3D). Grab it from ofp.info, and then hope Blender can import .OBJ files

hmm well i looked on ofp.info no luck did a google search found it but it didnt change my .p3d into a .obj at all hmmm i was wondering is there any other 3d modelling programs that i can use for p3d (arma) units ?

AFAIK only Oxygen handles P3D files, as its a file-type developed especially for OFP (and since then ArmA and VBS) by BIS. I don't know if there was ever a P3D plugin for 3DSMax ever released, maybe another google search. There have been plugins for Maya to handle .RTM animations (the animation file format for OFP/ArmA).

Did you get any errors with P3D2OBJ? I seem to remember XPACK also being needed to convert the P3D to a format usable by P3D2OBJ, so try using that first, and then try using P3D2OBJ again.

Can't you open the P3D file in O2light, select "Export 3DS", then import the 3DS into blender?

AFAIK only Oxygen handles P3D files, as its a file-type developed especially for OFP (and since then ArmA and VBS) by BIS. I don't know if there was ever a P3D plugin for 3DSMax ever released, maybe another google search. There have been plugins for Maya to handle .RTM animations (the animation file format for OFP/ArmA).

Incorrect, P3D is an open-source format developed by Carnegie Mellon University:

[P3D Format]

Some programs can open the standard .p3d format, however BIS has apparently modified the header, so it won't open, hence a conversion is needed, either to 3ds (P2MS, LithUnwrap) or obj (p3d2obj).

A plugin for GMAX (the free version of MAX, now discontinued) was made (3rd party), however it was also for the standard p3d format, not the one tailored to OFP.

Quote[/b] ]Can't you open the P3D file in O2light, select "Export 3DS", then import the 3DS into blender?

No, you can only import 3ds files, not export them wink_o.gif

I'm trying to take the landrover thats a default model in arma and turn it into a british landrover

To answer your question, you can't. No current program opens Arma's p3d files. There is a good chance that even the mod tools that are coming won't be able to open Arma's format, but instead will only let you make new models. There is a possiblity that someone will make a tool for extracting the original p3d files, but that could be years away. Your best bet is to make a new model from scratch. Good luck!

Incorrect, P3D is an open-source format developed by Carnegie Mellon University:

[P3D Format]

To me it looks like the text in the page you gave a link to indicates that that P3D file format has nothing to do with BIS' P3D file format.

Visit this page http://orion.math.iastate.edu/burkardt/data/p3d/p3d.html and look at the example P3D files there, like for example at the beachball.p3d. Does it look the same to you as the BIS P3D files?

Quote from the page:

Quote[/b] ]A P3D file is actually a sort of Lisp program that describes a 3D model.

I've studied the BIS P3D file format to some level and I think it is no where near a Lisp program.

To me it looks like the text in the page you gave a link to indicates that that P3D file format has nothing to do with BIS' P3D file format.

Visit this page http://orion.math.iastate.edu/burkardt/data/p3d/p3d.html and look at the example P3D files there, like for example at the beachball.p3d. Does it look the same to you as the BIS P3D files?

I know it can be hard sometimes to get the general message of a post, so I'll quote again, now emphasising on the more important parts by using bold text:

Quote[/b] ]Some programs can open the standard .p3d format, however BIS has apparently modified the header, so it won't open, hence a conversion is needed

[P3D Format]

"Incorrect" yourself... wink_o.gif That page refers to a completely different P3D format. The one created by BI refers to "Posideon 3D [model]" (hence the P3D extension) and is a completely proprietary format to BI.

Some programs can open the standard .p3d format, however BIS has apparently modified the header, so it won't open, hence a conversion is needed, either to 3ds (P2MS, LithUnwrap) or obj (p3d2obj).

See above. P2MS was written explicitly to convert from the BI P3D format to 3ds for use in LithUnwrap, and p3d2obj for what the name suggests. The P3D format from BI has NOTHING to do with any other P3D format available.

A plugin for GMAX (the free version of MAX, now discontinued) was made (3rd party), however it was also for the standard p3d format, not the one tailored to OFP.

Again, see above. No "tailoring" involved, it was a completely different format.

Quote[/b] ]Can't you open the P3D file in O2light, select "Export 3DS", then import the 3DS into blender?

No, you can only import 3ds files, not export them wink_o.gif

Actually you can, there IS and option to save as 3ds. BUT it doesn't work. So essentially its useless, hence the need for P2MS or p3d2obj.

There are many cases where file extensions are the same but the file formats are completely different. This is one of those cases.

I'm facing a similar problem. You can import .3ds into O2, but cannot get anything back to other 3D applications, if you need to adjust something. Searched for a plug or converter, but so far no luck. So it is a one way street (export to 3ds and import to O2), which is a bit ackward at times.

no, if you export a 3ds file you lose all your selections unless you use a workaround such as temporarily applying an individual texture to each selection, converting to 3ds with p3ms, doing your editing and importing back in. Now each selection you had before you can still retag since you just need to select the polys for the textures and retag them as the selections you want.

Or you can separate the model into various separate models and export each one and edit that way, then re-import them all back in and reassemble.

It's just a lot of workarounds, but I've been doing it that way for several years and it works, just not easily. Better than nothing though.

I've alsojust realised that you're trying to edit an ArmA model, and at the moment there arent any tools capable of reading the ArmA format ODOL p3d file. So all the methods described above wont work anyway. So no editing the default ArmA models until someone writes a tool that can read and convert the new format. sad_o.gif

I vaugely remember people talking about Hex editing the p3d file, editing a few key strings to make it readable in MLOD, back in the day that is.. i cant remember much about it, but i do remember reading about a few people saying it worked.

any chance of that now if it was true? ("Bas" comments excluded for old school reasons ) whistle.gif