Sign in to follow this  
william1

Are scripts affected by CPU stress ?

i have done a beautiful script that works well in the editor with a few units on the screen , but when i try to use it in a mission with many units, waypoints and triggers it doesn't work properly. it is not my fault because i have revised all 1000 times so , what the *** is going on ? the scripts only work when they want to or what ? confused_o.gif

Well... showing the script could help people to help you out. Otherwise it is difficult to say anything about your problem.

I think yes.

I also have some Script's looking total different if i test them on Rahmadi with 10 Groups or if i test them on Sahrani with 100 groups... huh.gif

In my opinion it is more likely that the mission has some technical or logical errors. When you increase the amount of waypoints, triggers, scripts, etc. in your mission then it is quite likely that you make an error at some point. A small mission is easy to get right.

We should see what he is trying to do and how before saying what is wrong.

mmm, that's not the cause because i make the missions step by step , when something works i save it and then i make the next change , and the changes required for the script to work are few and easily done . maybe because i have almost all graphic options in very high it may consume too cpu power , afecting the capability of the engine to manage the AI ? because in not only the script , some AI groups don't follow the waypoints i make for them , sometimes they just stay there and do nothing icon_rolleyes.gif

Scripts that require to perform something in a very tigh time-basis may be severely affected by both, CPU stress and time acceleration.

william1, I am not trying to imply that you do a bad job when you edit your mission. But even if you make changes to your mission in very small steps, it doesn't in any way guarantee that your mission has no technical or logical errors.

I am saying we should see what you are trying to do and how you have tried to do it before we can jump to any kind of conclusions.

It is likely that if your CPU is in flames then an error is more than likely. But in my opinion this kind of speculation (not based on facts about your mission) does not help you in determining what is the cause of your problems. What are your problems? We still haven't heard what exactly is going wrong in your script. It can even be a bug in Armed Assault believe it or not.

The problem of AI units not continuing on their waypoints has been discussed here already, I have even seen it many times in a mission I am creating. I would say that it is either a bug in Armed Assault or something in the AI system has changed since OFP and we do not understand how to use the new system to achieve the same result as in OFP. This problem for sure is not caused by high CPU load.

Baddo ,the script only needs 3 waiponts with 2 or 3 parameters on them to work , really easy and there is no possibility you can make a mistake,, i have tested it in the small island with 9 units and works always i have tested it . when i tried to implemet it in my mission , i played and twicked until it worked . but the most strange is that after exit the game and playing again exactly the same saved mission , this time didn't work , without having made any change to the misison.

more strange issues in the editor :

-most of the times the missions don't work well at first try , but after restarting it , it works perfect at second try crazy_o.gif

-i have 3 choppers that have to take off simultaneosly , well two of them raise until the normal take off altitude (50 meters) and the third of them just stays a few meters below, without any reason because all of them have the same configuration.

-from these 3 choppers , randomly when i start the mission , 2 of them start their engines when they should and the third a little later, and i say "randomly"

so i think it has not to do with the script but with the Arma engine itself

In my opinion it is more likely that the mission has some technical or logical errors. When you increase the amount of waypoints, triggers, scripts, etc. in your mission then it is quite likely that you make an error at some point. A small mission is easy to get right.

That is true, after script get polished and brainfarts corrected, i haven't had issues with 'em. I have 99% (everything is somewhat uncertain wink_o.gif ) faith that ArmA wont mess scirpts, if scripts are flawless.

Quote[/b] ]so i think it has not to do with the script but with the Arma engine itself

With respect: I doupt that. Some buggy scriptcommand (i haven't run up against), bug in AI or brainfart of scripter.

Maybe the Artificial Intelligence gets in your way. You are asking the Artificial Intelligence to do something. It may or may not obey your wish exactly like you want.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I can't be 100% sure I'm remembering this correctly, or I didn't make a stupid mistake at the time. whistle.gif

I was playing with an ArmA mission once where all the AI had "fleeing" scripts run from their init field. When a certain condition was met, this script would force them to move at full speed to a distant point.

I was finding that, in a lot of cases, the AI would not "flee" when they were supposed to. On a hunch I added a short wait period to the start of each script, something like

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">~(random 5) + 2

and this greatly improved things. My guess is that having the scripts running a bit staggered from one another helped things. That way, they don't all perform the test to see if condition X is met at exactly the same time.

Of course, you'd have to be careful with random wait times depending on the nature of your script in terms of locality. I think messing with AI's orders is server-side only so it was pretty safe.

I must profess I do not have the same faith in the ArmA engine as some of the posters here. However, my opinion is just based on my own instincts. As concrete evidence comes out over time my thoughts may change... biggrin_o.gif