Sign in to follow this  
JdB

World War 2 or Modern mods?

I personally am most interested in anything relating to World War Two being created for Armed Assault. Whether it would be armor or planes, or something minor like a small unit/weapon pack, I would absolutely love it.

I've been an avid WWII gamer since I was young, whether it was an Turn/Real-Time Strategy, a simulator like Panzer Commander or Air Warrior (for those who still remember), or story-line based like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty I've played just about most of them.

There was always an element missing from each of those games, though. It wasn't until Operation Flashpoint was released that that important element was introduced, and to me it was the freedom to do just about anything that first caught my attention.

The atmosphere that can be created could be breath-taking, with all of the improvements I can really expect the most ferocious and brilliant battles taking place in the most beautiful of settings. I mean, whenever it rains you see the droplets hit roads/asphalt. Amazing, something I could never imagine would come from OFP.

I'm proud of the work done over the years for OFP, but I truly hope all those efforts haven't been exhausted at this point. I still hope that there will be plenty of great quality addons to choose from down the line that will give the WWII addon community a sturdy foothold in Armed Assault.

Sorry for the rant, but I truly do hope to see something down the line.

I personally am most interested in anything relating to World War Two being created for Armed Assault. Whether it would be armor or planes, or something minor like a small unit/weapon pack, I would absolutely love it.

I've been an avid WWII gamer since I was young, whether it was an Turn/Real-Time Strategy, a simulator like Panzer Commander or Air Warrior (for those who still remember), or story-line based like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty I've played just about most of them.

There was always an element missing from each of those games, though. It wasn't until Operation Flashpoint was released that that important element was introduced, and to me it was the freedom to do just about anything that first caught my attention.

The atmosphere that can be created could be breath-taking, with all of the improvements I can really expect the most ferocious and brilliant battles taking place in the most beautiful of settings. I mean, whenever it rains you see the droplets hit roads/asphalt. Amazing, something I could never imagine would come from OFP.

I'm proud of the work done over the years for OFP, but I truly hope all those efforts haven't been exhausted at this point. I still hope that there will be plenty of great quality addons to choose from down the line that will give the WWII addon community a sturdy foothold in Armed Assault.

Sorry for the rant, but I truly do hope to see something down the line.

My father was in WWII with the 12th Field Artillery attached to the 3rd Infantry Division here in Canada. All aside, after some thought, I would really love to see a WWII mod more than any other era

pistols.gifnotworthy.gifsmile_o.gif

Of the choices, WW2 but with some post-war conflicts too,

(almost anything from the turn of the 19th century to the

mid 1980s). The reason being (as well as historical interest)

the capabilities of the game engine and the level of military

tactical and technological sophistication that it comfortably

supports.

Personally I do think that (viewed from a veteran tabletop

wargamer's, and chairborne general's perspective) ArmA

leaves quite a lot to be desired in some respects, but there

are certain conflicts and theatres where it could be used to

create a very good simulation.

Hi, i've voted for the post WW-II addons, i like more the weapons

and military vehicles made after the second great; the Vietnam era

is plagued of things from the land to the skyes that even when many

are really odd, i still like 'em, things like: F-100D Super Sabre, CH34

Chocktow, OV-10A Bronco, F-101 Delta Dart, F4 Phantom II and

many more. Let's C ya

I voted for modern era warfare as just personally, I'm sick to f#&king death of WW2. I kind of wish the world would have another war just so there would be a different theme to base games, movies, books, docos, etc on. I realize there wouldn't be much left after WW3 but anyway. Also one group really sucked my want for ww2 themes out of me with grandiose claims and little content. Sick to death of WW2.

Perhaps a less used ww2 theme like the Pacific would be a welcome change, instead of the same old european setting. so my vote goes there.

pressed the wrong button though crazy_o.gif

One interesting aspect of ww2 is that its belivable, there are so many battles/skirmishes that are well documented and known by many people from documentaries/movies.

I find it hard to get imersion from the Sahrani conflict because its all made up, there are no references to it.

i'd really love to see a mod playing in the late 50's and early 60's. However NOT Vietnam, as a Jungle environment is not very good for this game. Not good for any game at all. Particulary as it's almost impossible to spot soldiers on a distance, while they spot you through the densest vegetation.

I like this era particulary because of the weapon technology. in the west good assault rifles where not introduced yet, smg still had an important role. however it's not always playing the game Thommygun vs. Mp40. I'm also really really bored from playing with M16A1s, another reason i don't like Vietnam setings.

i'd love to see some Paras with MAT40 or Stirlings, regular troops with FALs. Early jetplanes but still a lot of propeller bombers, earliest helicopters. Unlike WW2 infantry has AT weapons available. Tanks like T50 etc are already closer to modern designs than those steel boxes of ww2. And don't forget the first generation of helicopters! those wonderfully ugly beasts!

A perfect seting would be the Suez crisis of 1956.

Involved where UK, France and Israel on one side, Egypt on the other side. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Crisis

Presumably a fictious seting in this era would be even better.

a sidenote: someone mentioned it's easier to go back to low-tech setings as ArmA doesn't simulate the electronics not so well. There's an example however where the oposite is the case. Does someone know already a way to turn of the stabilisation of tank main guns? In pre 80's tanks it should be almost impossible to fire an aimed shot while driving.

I agree with this view on modern war, there hasnt really been a full out war between two large powers since the introduction of all this modern technology, and even then, these clashes are very brief. But with world war 2, the battle were on an epic scale, millions of men, each meter of ground was fought for.

A good example of a game that replicates this is world war 2 online, tho old, its an awesome game.

How's this for a twist, immediate post WW2, Western Allies and Soviets fall into real conflict.

I'd call it, 1946.

The thing is, that Armed Assault is based on modern warfare in a time not too far from our own. Though the conflicting sides may be ficticious, it is still not far from reality if you think about it. If the conditions are right, if certain events occur then it is all too real.

The era that World War Two occured in has such a strong atmosphere.. It is hard to believe that something of such grand scale occured a little over half a century ago, hard to reflect on looking at the world today.

I've always had a great interest in it, call it a hobby or obsesion, it is a time that should be remembered.

I too, am personally sick of Call of Duty, Medal of Honor or some other restrictive game that only allows for so much, trying to compensate good graphics for everything else it is missing. Good games, but they still do not offer everything I look for in a game. Operation Flashpoint introduced that freedom and Armed Assault only improved on it.

That's why I look forward to that era being available in game. Modern times are hectic and challenging, but to me, not as fascinating.

Im voting modern.. Id love to see the full range of russian hardware in the game ( the stuff they cant even afford to make for themselves! ) that would bring a lot more balance to it those evil A10s and M1s

But if I was to be keen on a world war 2 mod...... Kursk all the way! Or North Africa.. Like many im sick of France.... They do state terrorism anyway.....

Im still brooding over the rainbow warrior......

Following the (almost) global launch of ArmA I have noticed a lack in serious World War 2 themed mods as compared to more modernly themed ones.

I don't think this is right. Just of the top of my head I can

think of at least nine (9) "World War 2 themed mods"

for ArmA. I would hardly call that a "lack".