Sign in to follow this  
Fred DM

Hardware in ArmA vs VBS2

i recently stumbled upon dslyecxi's guide to ArmA and saw this picture:

http://dslyecxi.com/images/arma/ttp/light_armor.jpg

do you see the AAV in the back? now, i know VBS2 features the USMC with that vehicle, but that screenshot is clearly an ArmA one (dslyecxi even states that all screenies are ArmA if they're not labelled with VBS2), yet the AAV is not in the game. what's the deal here? is that an unofficial add-on? i've never seen it in the mods section.

this brings me to my second question: there's a number of vehicles and units featured in VBS2 that are not in ArmA. why? the models are all there, how difficult could it be to include them in ArmA as well?

http://dslyecxi.com/images/arma/ttp/medium_armor.jpg

http://dslyecxi.com/images/arma/ttp/helicopters.jpg

i mean, ArmA shipped without vehicles from OpF (Hind, Bradley, Chinook, Apache, Kiowa, T80, Warthog), which was disappointing enough even though a few new ones have been included, but i actually expected to see additional units like the Huey or Marine infantry.

i know that some of those things like the Marines or the Apache are already available from modders and many more will be in the future, but i'd prefer to have as many units as possible in ArmA directly from the developer. there's nothing i hate more than having to download a dozen mods and add-ons in order to be able to play a certain campaign or scenario.

Another silly thread... I think the army would rather buy a £30 game if it had all the vehicles they were offered in a simulator that sells for a lot of money.

Another silly thread... I think the army would rather buy a £30 game if it had all the vehicles they were offered in a simulator that sells for a lot of money.

i think it's your answer that is silly: i highly doubt the additional vehicles are what makes VBS2 so different from ArmA (and so much more expensive). read the VBS2 description, it goes a lot deeper than just a few additional vehicles.

besides, all of the vehicles in those VBS2 screenies are Marine ones. for all we know, the Army could buy ArmA and be happy with it.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Think this thread could be closed as it may be against VBS2 discussion policy (not sure so please don't shoot the messenger) sad_o.gif

Extra work for a relitively small return for BIS. There has to be a seperation between the games. They also need to get it on a DVD at some point as well and cant just keep adding stuff.

It seems no where the line would be drawn people will always moan and complain, getting really tiresome now.

Thats not really true... the Army dosn't buy VBS2 becuase of the vehicles in it, they buy it for the countless features that it has over ArmA that make it a training tool, not a game. Adding thoes vehicles to ArmA would no way in hell cause the Army to buy ArmA over VBS2...

As for the main post, Im not totally sure why thoes vehicles have not made their way into ArmA... but I have a feeling it might have something to do with Game2, as at least the HUEY has been seen in a Game2 screenshot. If they are for Game2 then we probly will never see them in ArmA... thats just my guess tho.

more like another silly comment from You (take it easy smile_o.gif...

what about compliances like HLA/DIS or compatibility with DVTE and easy integrations with others simulation systems and training related enhacements ...

vehicles are just small part of the the deal VBS offers above ArmA

(usually what matter is HiDefinition of detail on these vehicles

not just visual details but also functions and way how vehicle reacts etc)

---

noone from BIS said after US release no more new vehicles/equipment ... so there is always chance to get some more later

i highly doubt the additional vehicles are what makes VBS2 so different from ArmA (and so much more expensive). read the VBS2 description, it goes a lot deeper than just a few additional vehicles.

Those vehicles are already available for VBS1. So your right in thinking that its not these which make VBS2 that bit more special.

I would love to see the Lavs in Arma as the ADF2 pack for VBS1 has what i believe to be the best models i've seen. Even better than any ArmA model.

I'll offer you a simple answer: If you want the VBS2 vehicles, you must pay the VBS2 price.

noone from BIS said after US release no more new vehicles/equipment ... so there is always chance to get some more later

that is true, of course. i'm aware of that. but as far as i know, nothing out of VBS1 was ever ported over to OFP. i could be wrong, though, because i never monitored VBS1.

it seems to me that just taking a few things out of VBS2 and including them in ArmA (via a patch) would be minimal work because the units already exist.

content is what makes this game great, and while user-made content is great, developer-made content is even better.

Extra work for a relitively small return for BIS. There has to be a seperation between the games. They also need to get it on a DVD at some point as well and cant just keep adding stuff.

It seems no where the line would be drawn people will always moan and complain, getting really tiresome now.

extra work, OK. but how much, really? i mean, those vehicles are ready and working (i assume). all it would take is to just port them over to ArmA, do a little adjusting.

seems to me it is a lot more work to create new units from scratch (the motorbikes, the Su-34, etc.) instead of including existing ones.

this is in no way a rant or criticism towards BIS. i'm simply curious.

I'll offer you a simple answer: If you want the VBS2 vehicles, you must pay the VBS2 price.

i think it has been established by now that VBS2 is not simply ArmA with a few more vehicles. if you believe that, you should go check out the VBS website.

so you have to come up with a more complicated answer now. wink_o.gif

Who cares, really? I mean if I were to decide I would choose quality over quantity, I would rather have one armored vehicle per faction which is realistically modelled as opposed to ten armored vehicles per faction that behave almost the same.

Armor is downright pathetic in ArmA, so I would rather see the developers focusing on implementing a more realistic armor system instead of importing lots of VBS models that behave more or less the same.

That's a VBS2 screenshot that I forgot to tag as such. When I have the time, I'll tag it.

Hotlinked images over 100kb removed in first post.

Fred DM

+1 WL for above.

This topic is unnessary and violates the "no discussion about VBS" rules.

Maybe the vehicles are not there because they were made exclusively for use in VBS2/their customers? You ever considered that?

It's the same as you say: "Oh look at all the cool stuff made for VBS1, the models are there so why not just port it for OFP."

Closing.