Sign in to follow this  
Hitori kyo

How to implement tracers?

i want to create a weapon with two magazines. one for bullets and one for tracers (which would have diff characteristics)

Then i want the gun to switch to the tracer magazine every 6 odd rounds fire one tracer and switch back until another 6 rounds are fired .... this would continue until the ammo of both magazines is depleted.

Is this possible and if so has anyone worked out how to do it ?

- Hitori Kyo

I had this idea a while ago, it may be possible with a script - check the other thread on tracers in this section.

i want to create a weapon with two magazines. one for bullets and one for tracers (which would have diff characteristics)

Then i want the gun to switch to the tracer magazine every 6 odd rounds fire one tracer and switch back until another 6 rounds are fired .... this would continue until the ammo of both magazines is depleted.

Is this possible and if so has anyone worked out how to do it ?

- Hitori Kyo

It would be extremely impractical, and the result would be very buggy.

I can't see why no-one has yet written a script to implement correct tracer ratios. Are they holding out to see if 1.06 implements it?

Ah i see thanks for the replies guys, maybe someone (even official) will have a fix for this problem in the near future.

- Hitori kyo

Could someone please tell me why this method wouldnt work, as it sounds useful for a number of different things:

Being able to switch between mags with/withput tracers (simulating soldier not putting tracer rounds in)

Being able to have a magazine with only tracers (for leaders etc to mark targets)

Being able to easily limit the numer of these mags the player has/can carry

Being able to make the tracer rounds perform slightly differently

i think you can have 2 different magazine for a weapon. but you cannot shoot from both of the magazine at the same time

eg: the m4 uses 30rnd_556x45_stanag and 30rnd_556x45_stanagSD mags. both can be put into the m4 but only 1 is fired at a time. so i think it cannot simulate the 3 round ball then tracer round is fired thing...

correct me if im wrong

Didn't someone get this working for OFP? I distinctly remember seeing a video showing a MG firing downrange with every fifth round being a tracer.

Abs

I can't see why no-one has yet written a script to implement correct tracer ratios.  Are they holding out to see if 1.06 implements it?

Because it is difficult to make one that's reliable and doesn't screw up gameplay.

Also no you can't use scripts to change the magazines, there are many reasons why, but just one of them that comes to mind is because when you add magazines they're always added full (and you can't change their ammo count), and that's the only way to change magazines instantly (by removing the original mag and adding a new one then removing and adding the weapon again). Doing that also kicks you out of iron sights/optics if you're using them. So you can see already that's a very impractical method, and it's actually much easier to just create tracer rounds with the same trajectory as the originals. However, doing that also has some side effects.

Didn't someone get this working for OFP? I distinctly remember seeing a video showing a MG firing downrange with every fifth round being a tracer.

Abs

IIRC we at Invasion 1944 had this in the Alpha 2.5, maybe it could be adapted for use in ArmA. I don't have the code right here though.

I44's tracers may not port to ArmA well, due to the bullet ricochet being coded in. I'll need to look good at the script to see if there's a way to address ricochets.

Check the topic "tracer" in this section - Mr.Centipede has managed to script proper tracers in, but I myself am having problems with it - but that could be because im stupid.

Check the long VBS2 trailer. That shows off tracers in the ArmA engine. Dunno how BI are doing it but apparently they are.

seems alot of people in the community want more realistic tracers, may just be a matter of time before BI attempts to fix them.

seems alot of people in the community want more realistic tracers, may just be a matter of time before BI attempts to fix them.

yeah, I want ralistic tracers as in VBS2 biggrin_o.gif

HEY!, I have the 3d art work and textures for a great white shark that will roam the waters in arma, but I need help from here.

Can someone please help me with this? Yes, I am a noob at this, but this is a great idea! I have had 54 responses in the last 24 hrs with all positive feedback, from damers that want to see this happen.I had the art work done by a professional artist at a game development company.(old friend) someone please help me make this a reality. email me at kingthump@verizon.net

HEY!, I have the 3d art work and textures for a great white shark that will roam the waters in arma, but I need help from here.

Can someone please help me with this?  Yes, I am a noob at this, but this is a great idea! I have had 54 responses in the last 24 hrs with all positive feedback, from damers that want to see this happen.I had the art work done by a professional artist at a game development company.(old friend)  someone please help me make this a reality. email me at kingthump@verizon.net

What does that have to do with the implementation of realistic tracrers? Please start another thread and keep this on the topic of tracers.

Im trying to get help here man, if you cant help, why hender?

Im posting this whereever I think someone with some knowledge might see it. Modders will be able to help with tracers, and maybe making this shark addon too, so relax

Maybe go back and read the forum's rules. This IS the section for getting help, but make a new thread about it, don't post in a completely unrelated thread.

Im trying to get help here man, if you cant help, why hender?

Im posting this whereever I think someone with some knowledge might see it. Modders will be able to help with tracers, and maybe making this shark addon too, so relax

No you don't post it whereever you think you can get help with.

Your shark addon has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with tracers.

yeah, ya know what, I can live without your attitude, I can take being corrected, but being rude to is diffrent. you have a position of a moderator, so do your job, but dont be rude. Why is there so much apethetic power hungry jerk offs like you in this game I will never understand.But this I have learned from playing ofp for the last 6 years, is that the more ppl like you, the shorter this game will exist. Have fun mr. attitude.

SoF Thump

+1 WL for public discussion on how the forum is moderated and calling me a "apethetic power hungry jerk off" - whatever apethetic means.

fireship4

+1 WL for flaming.

Now we go back to topic or... well go figure.