Sign in to follow this  
scortech

mouse moving the weapon

Hmm having only played Arma on a friends computer I have too say that I loved the floating in OFP but hate it in Arma the gun moves way too fast across the screen like it was weightless, OFP never gives me the same feeling. So I find myself turning floating of as its much easier to point the gun and then use sights when the weapon dosen flick from one extreme to another.

STGN

quote from dallas

But you have to agree they where thinking, because they made it optional. Good for you, good for me.

Yes I have to agree on that..

But I thinks just silly and kinda pathetic that some people here bite my head off because I don't like this feature....

Some like it and some don't and it's just that simple..

I have played alot of fps shooters thru the years and I have never been close to anything like this feature before but even so I still don't like it..And I disabled it completely..Yes this is a fps shooter based on more realistic combat..I have another problem in Arma..I have a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro stick and I can't configure this in arma..How difficult can it be you say..In bf2 it's a simple as it can get..Please boys and girls I really need some help with my stick..thanks in advance..

And by the way..I had to try out the Euro version of the new Arma demo which 1.06 where included in..And I must say..That demo with the 1.06 included was much.much better then the full version and 1.05 patch I got..

I guess there is no 1.06 euro patch out for the full version?

I'm sure it will be out after the U.S. release on May 1st. (how long after that is anybodys guess biggrin_o.gif )

But I thinks just silly and kinda pathetic that some people here bite my head off because I don't like this feature....

Don't you worry scortech. Unfortunately, there are people very concerned with taking distance from the "gaming" community, as they seem to feel uncomfortably saying they are playing a game, and seem to feel right only when their game is reffered to as a "sim". There it comes this thing about "realism" - whatever that may be - and so it seems that your fun and inmersion must be tampered by things you have to learn before you enjoy your game - sorry, I mean, you "sim".

Simulation is more and more an obsolete term, that only applies to very hard games - or very well thought marketing strategies. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is how much "suspension of disbelief", or how much often you forget you are in a virtual environment, and how that is achieved. It doesn't have to be hard, and very often it is the hard learning curve what prevents the player from feeling "there". Inmersiveness has little to do with efford, except for some people.

Cheers.

What's ironic about that is that as a service rifle shooter of nearly 8 years I wouldn't describe the floating zone movement while aiming down the sights as simulation at all. I understand what they're trying to achieve with it but visually it doesn't look good to my eyes.

Actually the whole weapon handling in general lacks a level of intuitiveness, it's almost as if in their striving for realism they have over applied and exaggerated weapon momentum to a silly level. A rifle in practiced hands is like an extension of the shooter, not some lumbering device with a ton of momentum that will carry on when you stop moving it.

I agree, but the weapon moves to a point defined by the mouse position, so you really don't move the weapon - it moves to the point you describe. Get a machine gunner and move from side to side fast, and watch it track. I confirmed my jest from the previous post, and now I'll state that I believe it would make the playability better if BIS would switch the method of mouse control used for driving and the method for aiming. This is the reason why I can't aim quickly (I'll overshoot due to the invisible point), and die because of it.

yes Scrub is right, what bi need to do is to remove the draging feeling of the rifle now, it is realistic to only have your arm move around, but your rifle shouldnt be tow around the screen

OT: ppl here wont bite your heads off if your opening post isnt such a whine style, point is, aside the problem that it being tow around, free floating zone is the best thing that a tact shooting game could offer, OFP/ArmA got it, and in ArmA you can turn it on and off, if you using it and if done right, you will feel the reward, but first , you have to try(oh just a side note, since the weapon is now being "tow" around, it somehow make the fixed crosshair a bit more realistic) biggrin_o.gif

Why not just turn off the floating zone? I'm not quite sure what the past few points in the argument is about. Are you complaining that the weapons have inertia? I personally like that, and I don't really find it difficult to aim at all... precisely the opposite.

I agree, but the weapon moves to a point defined by the mouse position, so you really don't move the weapon - it moves to the point you describe.  Get a machine gunner and move from side to side fast, and watch it track.  I confirmed my jest from the previous post, and now I'll state that I believe it would make the playability better if BIS would switch the method of mouse control used for driving and the method for aiming.  This is the reason why I can't aim quickly (I'll overshoot due to the invisible point), and die because of it.

If you are talking about 'mouse lag' then look at the 3rd post in this topic wink_o.gif

Let me sum up. The inital poster feels that the freeaim is looked at as a problem by many new users. The four people I've recently hooked on ArmA (two turned the freeaim off), have mentioned that the freeaim weapon movement lacks precision. In looking into their complaint, the feel of the freeaim, and peoples use of it, is marred by the mouse not directly moving the weapon. Again, get a machine gunner in the editor, move the mouse once quickly to a side, and watch as it tracks to a point designated by the mouse. The weapon slews to that point, you do not control the weapon, you designate and the avatar moves it. This pointer is the main issue with controlability. It is the main cause of overshoots, and the feel of sluggish handling because it does not stop when you do.

There are different ways to implement inertia and weight, but this method disconnects the user from the ability to contend with these factors.

The floating weapon is definitely very rare in the FPS world. The first game I remember with detached weapon and viewpoints was called Cyclones.

I think Terminator: Future Shock might have had it too. I hadn't really seen it again until OFP and ArmA. I like it.

I think maybe the default for the floating zone on the demo should be off if BIS is really worried about it, but I don't think that they are. I'm not. It's perfectly precise, it's just not instantaneous. I must emphasize that it's *perfectly* precise.

You got all the precision you need with full float. But as you do in real life you can only turn your torso so far on your hips untill you have to change your foot stance. As for dragging the 240, 12.5 kilos(27.6 lb), ...well it's no plastic toy and should probably not be fire from an unsupported position.

Well, maybe my system IS suffering from mouse lag.  Does mouse lag mean that I turn to target an enemy, either at 10m or 300m, and my aim overshoots where I think I'm at by an inch, so I need to correct?  Please understand I am able to target and engage satisfactorily, having to adjust for overshoot has just come to my attention from others and is now VERY noticable.  Ignorance is bliss. icon_rolleyes.gif

My mouse moves crisp and smooth in all menus.  

BTW OFPforum, where in the Nvidia drivers is the classic mode?

Edit: NVM got coolbits and am now trying it out (had it at render 3 frames ahead crazy_o.gif ) Thanks for being so stubborn about it. It is much less noticable, greatly appreciated. notworthy.gif

Well, maybe my system IS suffering from mouse lag. Does mouse lag mean that I turn to target an enemy, either at 10m or 300m, and my aim overshoots where I think I'm at by an inch, so I need to correct? Please understand I am able to target and engage satisfactorily, having to adjust for overshoot has just come to my attention from others and is now VERY noticable. Ignorance is bliss. icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit: NVM got coolbits and am now trying it out (had it at render 3 frames ahead crazy_o.gif ) Thanks for being so stubborn about it. It is much less noticable, greatly appreciated. notworthy.gif

It sounds to me like you have a problem compensating for the rifle's zero. The assault rifles in this game are zeroed for 300 meters. The bullet will leave the barrel, travel upwards until its peak at 150 meters, then come down to where the reticle is aiming at 300, assuming the crosshairs are also calibrated for 300 meters. I suggest you aim lower between 50 and 250 meters. There will also be some parallax error because of where the weapon, your eyes, and the crosshairs are situated. To reduce this, use the iron sights.

it is only the way that how BI present the freeaim, in BOTH OFP and ArmA they have the inertia set on the weapon instead of the affect your crosshair(or, direction of where your gun point)

my idea is simple, we all know that the crosshair i made with 2 parts rgr, one tells you where your guns is pointing at and one tells you where your gun is going to point at rgr?

how about changing them? one for where your gun is point, and one to tell you if your weapon is lined up completely for a accrate shot? inertia affect your speed of moving your gun, and the time needed for your sights to match up?

edit: after reviewing the idea, i find one of the reason that why BI didnt do it: ppl can change their mouse speed! confused_o.gif

This gun lag isn't inertia. Otherwise it would affect you when you had 0 bounding box too but it doesn't.

Well, maybe my system IS suffering from mouse lag.  Does mouse lag mean that I turn to target an enemy, either at 10m or 300m, and my aim overshoots where I think I'm at by an inch, so I need to correct?  Please understand I am able to target and engage satisfactorily, having to adjust for overshoot has just come to my attention from others and is now VERY noticable.  Ignorance is bliss. icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit:  NVM got coolbits and am now trying it out  (had it at render 3 frames ahead  crazy_o.gif )  Thanks for being so stubborn about it.  It is much less noticable, greatly appreciated.  notworthy.gif

It sounds to me like you have a problem compensating for the rifle's zero.  The assault rifles in this game are zeroed for 300 meters.  The bullet will leave the barrel, travel upwards until its peak at 150 meters, then come down to where the reticle is aiming at 300, assuming the crosshairs are also calibrated for 300 meters.  I suggest you aim lower between 50 and 250 meters.  There will also be some parallax error because of where the weapon, your eyes, and the crosshairs are situated.  To reduce this, use the iron sights.

It's a left to right thing, not a up and down thing. biggrin_o.gif

Just did not have enough control/feedback to stop the weapon in time. Better now, but still happens.

Well, maybe my system IS suffering from mouse lag. Does mouse lag mean that I turn to target an enemy, either at 10m or 300m, and my aim overshoots where I think I'm at by an inch, so I need to correct? Please understand I am able to target and engage satisfactorily, having to adjust for overshoot has just come to my attention from others and is now VERY noticable. Ignorance is bliss. icon_rolleyes.gif

It sounds to me like you have a problem compensating for the rifle's zero. The assault rifles in this game are zeroed for 300 meters. The bullet will leave the barrel, travel upwards until its peak at 150 meters, then come down to where the reticle is aiming at 300, assuming the crosshairs are also calibrated for 300 meters. I suggest you aim lower between 50 and 250 meters. There will also be some parallax error because of where the weapon, your eyes, and the crosshairs are situated. To reduce this, use the iron sights.

It's a left to right thing, not a up and down thing. biggrin_o.gif

Just did not have enough control/feedback to stop the weapon in time. Better now, but still happens.

When you said 'overshoot' I thought you meant shooting over their heads!