Sign in to follow this  
jantenner

sahrani makes sense?

BUZZARD @ April 12 2007,14:49)]If there's a monarch in power in the south then it cannot be a dictatorship, me thinks... icon_rolleyes.gif

Play the campaign to the end, while the campaign isn't that great it does have some good story elements. Things are not what they seem at first.

What is stopping a monarch from being a dictatorship? In ArmA the South is definitely a dictatorship.

SLA stands for Sahrani Liberation Army. Also, notice that the North is called the Democratic Republic of Sahrani smile_o.gif

BIS had some truly great ideas in the story, they just didn't use them properly.

Hello all

It makes sense to me.

It gives me the opportunity to fight in multiple enviroments, giving me a different immersive opportunity everytime I play.

One min I'm at Iraqui/texan Oilfields, next the villages of Bosnia, then a small vill in Afghanistan.

Realistically? No it doesnt make sense to me.

But hey it's a game. No need for accuracy.

(*Ducks for incoming flames*)

I think the supplied map is great to show the diff environs to cater for all and to inspire mapmakers.

When the tools come out, im sure we'll se a dearth of realistic ones.

As to the geo-political sensibility? Havn't a clue, I'm as thick as two short planks.

Rgds

LoK

I rather like the map. Realistic? Who really cares? It offers a nice starting point till new islands appear in mods etc.

I also like the geopolitics of the region. Offers some very interesting gameplay ideas.

Hasn't anybody here actually played the campaign?

The US supports the dictatorship in the South because of the oil-fields and because of the tourism. If you watch the map closely you'll find dollar signs everywhere in the south.

The north is mainly an agrarian and industrial (a bit) society. Even if it's "communist" it seems to be supported by the people. In the campaign southerners flee to the north because the monarch in the south haves his citizens executed. The north liberates the south. It's a vietnam-like scenario.

Still, in the beginning the US and the South are depicted as the good guys. The story in the last two missions change that completely.

The dollar signs on the map represents topograpical symbols for plantations. I guess the south's wealth comes from oil, plantation and tourism. Anyway I've never given the campaign any though, after reading your post though, you've got me hooked.

both govs should be overthrown and new democratic federate state formed ...

btw. tons of communism based countries call them democratic ... (aka Democratic People's Republic of Korea)

yet they more dictatorship than "democracy"

I think democracy is the form of dictatorship smile_o.gif

I think democracy is the form of dictatorship smile_o.gif

Democracy is dictatorship with a 4-year option biggrin_o.gif

I think its an excellent idea for a base island that can offer all sorts. It is a beautiful island, with awesome terrain and some interesting hidden areas.

The Island however, is not large enough to have totally different climates just a few hundred kilometers away from each other. it does seem a bit strange.

It will do find until the Island tools are released. I want a desert Iraqi/Afghanistan/Iran? 'island' as detailed, if not more so than Sahrani. That would be a dream. A desert Northern Sahrani, with all its mountain ranges would be perfect for Taliban hunting missions.

My one complaint about the island is probably still the fact that the cities don't look great. They are far bigger and more detailed than OFP, but they just don't look natural or right.

I'd like to see just a big city island (as in the only thing on the island is the city, thus allowing more detail), for urban lovers, complete with surrounding countryside, the suburbs and the developed city centre with big rivers and birdges etc. That would be someting

I'm absolutely bored ****less with desert scenarios. Give me temperate European settings any day.

On the subject of the two seemingly different climates in a small island, the greek island of Crete where I am from, it is very much alike. It has parts that look very north african, desert-like, lots of rocks, dry shrubs and palm trees and parts that are very green, lush with lots of trees, pines and such.

I don't oppose the fact that you got "two maps in one". You can always limit the action in one part, or when the tools are out you can cut Sahrani in half and release them as seperate entities.

both govs should be overthrown and new democratic federate state formed

Where are Xezon's nukes when you need 'em... tounge2.gif j/k

The problem with that is that if you restrict your mission to only use one part/half of the island you still have a very limited or not so great area of use if you want to stay clear from the large, cluttered and empty towns.

The north part of Sahrani does not offer very good mission making possibilities imo.

Malden or Everon were better than the whole north part of sahrani, better road structure, more forests and spread out, small house settlements. They had mission design potential all over that im personally not finding in Sahrani.

But... its about time to stop beating a dead dog and start thinking about new island ideas smile_o.gif .

The north part of Sahrani does not offer very good mission making possibilities imo.

Oh yes it does. I completely disagree with you there whistle.gif

Look here for a few good examples.

The idea that governments can alter topography is valid.

Just for fun, go to Google Earth and follow the Mexico/Guatamalan border....rainforest on one side, barren soil on the other that follows nearly to the inch.*

I chalked it up to desertification due to over logging by the Communist regime, as nobody can really, really damage the environment like a Communist.

* The situation will, in time, change, as the Mexican government was as shocked as anyone else when they got that perspective, and is taking action to bring the forest back over on their side.

The island can be made twice as big. Right now it's just one island and LOTS of sea.