Sign in to follow this  
Danbri

Triggers and waypoints for dummies!

Hi!

I never used the mision editor in OFP so in that department I`m kinda stupid. Now with Arma I`d like to try this great option but i cant for my life understand how to do the most simple of operations.

What i would like to have explained by some mercifull soul, is how to get my playable squad of soldiers to climb in to a AH60 wich then would take of and go to a specifik spot.

Meaning that I run to the chopper with my men, and when we are loaded (and believe you me, thats what I will be soon if this doesnt work  biggrin_o.gif ) the chopper should take of to another island.

Sry for ranting but I´m annoyed with my self for not understanding this  crazy_o.gif

And yes, i have read the manual, the wikipedia instructions and others to.

Anyone?

Ok, basically what you want to do is synchronize the movement of two groups, one is your infantry squad and one is your chopper group.

1. Start up the editor

2. Load the Sahrani island.

3. Drag the map over to the right until you see the big airstrip NW of Paraiso.

4. Zoom in to the left side of the runway.

5. Click on "Groups" on the right side of the editor.

6. Left Click on the left end of the runway: choose Blufor, Infantry Squads, Basic Squad, Ok.

7. No Player was selected, click Ok.

8. Left click on "Units" on the right of the editor.

9.. Zoom in until you see all the little green guys. Find the one that has all the  blue lines going to him. This is the leader. Double left click on him.

10. Go to "Control" and click "Player". Click on all the other green guys and select "playable" if you want, all your on-line buddies can go with you for this short ride...

11. Slightly to the right of your new squad, double left click on the runway.

12. Under "Class" select "Air" and to the right of that, "Unit", select "UH-60". Click "OK".

13. Left click on "group", Left click and hold on your chopper and drag the mouse away from your squad and release. This should make the little blue line that was connecting your squad to your chopper go away, thus un-grouping them.

12. Left click on "Waypoints" Double click somewhere near your chopper and select type "load". Click "Ok"

13. Scroll over to near the right side of the runway and double click again. Select type "Unload". Click "Ok".

14. Scroll somewhere out in the middle of the ocean. Double left click and select type "Move". Click "Ok".

15. Click on your squad infantry leader. He should become a darker green. Double click somewhere near your chopper's "load" waypoint. Select "Get In". Click "Ok".

16. Double click somewhere near your chopper "unload" waypoint. Slelect type "Get Out". Click "Ok".

17 Double left click on the very end of the right side of the runway. Select type "Move". Select "Always Show". Click "Ok".

18. Here's the magic part: Click "Synchronize" on the right side of the editor.

19. Left click and hold on your "Get In" waypoint and drag a line to your "Load" waypoint. There will now be a dark line between them.

20. Do the same with your "Get Out" and "Unload" waypoints at the other end of the runway.

20. SAVE

21 Preview.

What will happen: the mission will start and the helicopter will spool up and take off and hover 25 feet above you. Wait for this to happen. Select all your men and order them to board the chopper. The chopper will drop down to about two feet and you can board. As soon as everyone is in, the chopper will take off again and fly "SOMEWHERE" near the end of the runway and go into a hover. Order your men to disembark and the chopper will drop to about two feet at the end of the runway, you can get out and the chopper will take off and fly away, leaving you free to walk back to the other end of the runway. I do not know how to prevent the chopper from taking off at the beginning before you board, this seems to be a dicey issue with A.I. pilots!

Good luck and welcome to mission editing smile_o.gif

Rick

Hi again!

Many thanks Rick and Kronzky for that.

Rick: That explained a lot that i hadn`t understood.

Kronsky: Mr Murrays guide is probably good, but that is more than i can say for my German tounge2.gif

Down side: Now my girlfriend will most likely see less of me than before  biggrin_o.gif

Me again tounge2.gif

To make another dumb question, how does the editor now for whom the waypoint is for? Am I to first leftklick on the unit that i want to set a waypoint for (it seems like that atleast) and if so, why are they not marked (highlighted) so i know I have choosen the right group?

Edit: i just saw your part about "getting darker green" Rick. Sry for not beeing awake.

Just read this and I've followed the explaination to the letter. The issue I have is that the helo moves to the waypoint with the troops on but then won't land - it just hovers.

Any idea why?

Rich

Quote[/b] ]Kronsky: Mr Murrays guide is probably good, but that is more than i can say for my German tounge2.gif

LOL... Looks like I confused Mr Murray's guide with another one (that I just realized wasn't even listed in the intro page).

It's Merciless Creations' "Uber Reference Guide", and I've now added a link to it on the "New to...?" page.

It also was written for OFP, but is still quite useful is explaining basic concepts that apply to both games.

Thank you very much for that link Kronzky. 300+ pages to go through, yes THANK YOU!!

Now I have to kick out my girlfriend and send my son to his grandparents biggrin_o.gif . But I hope that dosen´t keep you awake att night!

Hmm... I might even get back to OFP and make something nice (try to atleast).

Just read this and I've followed the explaination to the letter. The issue I have is that the helo moves to the waypoint with the troops on but then won't land - it just hovers.

Any idea why?

Rich

You have to select all your troops and order them to disembark. The chopper will then land and you can get out. There is a command that tells the chopper to fly at a certain height, setFlyInHeight, but I am new to editing as well and I haven't played around with it too much, your milage may vary.

Rick

Hello Danbri

If you're new to ArmA like me, you'll probably find this relatively easy to understand. The beginners guide is something I haven't looked at yet, either. RTFM? WTH for? Do "I" ask for directions? Nooooo  rofl.gif  j/k j/k

I wanted to do this as well. I've posted what I did. If you do the basics and the helo is part of the squad, it just sits there hovering overhead...very annoying. Maybe my explanation will help you

Multiple Ai Incursion

If I were you, I'd make "you" the "Player" of anyone but the squad leader, so that you don't have to tell the squad to go to the next waypoint etc.  

Let me know what you think  wink_o.gif

Hello Danbri

If you're new to ArmA like me, you'll probably find this relatively easy to understand. The beginners guide is something I haven't looked at yet, either. RTFM? WTH for? Do "I" ask for directions? Nooooo  rofl.gif  j/k j/k

I wanted to do this as well. I've posted what I did. If you do the basics and the helo is part of the squad, it just sits there hovering overhead...very annoying. Maybe my explanation will help you

Multiple Ai Incursion

If I were you, I'd make "you" the "Player" of anyone but the squad leader, so that you don't have to tell the squad to go to the next waypoint etc.  

Hi there Armavidz!

Well I did look through Wiki and Arma manual but i think that for a total beginner theyre not right.

But thanks for your link, I will start editing as soon as my son goes to bed  biggrin_o.gif  and lets see how I manage. I do have some ideas (hollywood style) as to what I would like the mission to be about but i fell short at the starting line smile_o.gif

I tried the above (by Rick) but the chopper takes of immediately and leaves me with a very long face (and some tired men after having to walk). Missed something probably.

By the way, for me non-english, whats "RTMF" and "WTH"?

I closing in at 40 years old so I`m a bit outdated on the chargongs sometimes (aswell as spelling to)

And as an ATI user, I just love your avatar! Hilarious!

Many regards to you all for the help. Keep it coming for us old folks  tounge2.gif

I tried the above (by Rick) but the chopper takes of immediately and leaves me with a very long face (and some tired men after having to walk). Missed something probably.

Wait for the chopper to spool up and take off before telling your men to board it and it should work...

Rick

Hello Danbri

Multiple Ai Incursion

Hi there Armavidz!

Well I did look through Wiki and Arma manual but i think that for a total beginner theyre not right.

But thanks for your link, I will start editing as soon as my son goes to bed  biggrin_o.gif  and lets see how I manage. I do have some ideas (hollywood style) as to what I would like the mission to be about but i fell short at the starting line smile_o.gif

By the way, for me non-english, whats "RTMF" and "WTH"?

I closing in at 40 years old so I`m a bit outdated on the chargongs sometimes (aswell as spelling to)

And as an ATI user, I just love your avatar! Hilarious!

Many regards to you all for the help. Keep it coming for us old folks  tounge2.gif

RTFM = Read the f*&%!ing manual

WTH = What the hell

rofl.gif RTFM ....why on EARTH would anyone wanna do that?

By the way, if you sync the squad via the squad leader to the first waypoint for the chopper, they get in automatically.

Well, actually, I've read it twice now..... Only one line on the backside of it though naturally yay.gif

No seriously, the manual actually has a little info on waypointing and synching, but far too little.

This game/system/entertainment system needs something better than a manual, a bible would be more appropriate. At least save us from the embarrasing leaflet provided... confused_o.gif

Armavidz: I can agree on the somewhat thin manual.

Boy did I like the original manual for Shogun: total war. Talk about a bible biggrin_o.gif. More like a book than a manual. Ahh, those where the days......

Wait for the chopper to spool up and take off before telling your men to board it and it should work...

Rick

Hi Rick!

Thanks for that, but how can i make it so "my" boys jump in, THEN the chopper takes of?

Hi Rick!

Thanks for that, but how can i make it so "my" boys jump in, THEN the chopper takes of?

That I don't know. I have not been able to make it work myself, nor have I seen anybody else clearly describe how to do it. It seems there is a command, setFlyInHeight, but I've never used it nor even know how to use it. Maybe someone else will see our distress flare and help us out smile_o.gif

Rick