Sign in to follow this  
INNOCENT&CLUELESS

ArmA Public Beta Patch 1.05.5143

Or you can use the commanding mode to get a cursor to aim with...

Quote[/b] ]this still isn't really a problem, since in aircraft the camera is now fixed to your (invisible) cursor, so that means your cursor is wherever the camera is pointing at, always right in the center of your moniter. Thus, just move your mouse until the camera is centered right on your target and right-click.

It is as you don´t have to aim with your complete aircraft or helo in real life (if you are talking about fixed weapons ok but not for rotateable cannons and guided missiles for example).

The way you describe it you have to perfectly aim with your vehicle itself, while targetting IRL is simply not done that way and in some vehicles it´s really hard to do it as the flight model with mouse is very unprecise and the "impulse" steering in helicopters makes it almost impossible to center target when strafing a target area on high speeds.

I guess the centred and invisible mousecursor is a remain of the XBox version.

Changing the flight model to a visible cursor that can be moved freely around onscreen without the annoying autocenter "feature" to mark targets AND to fluently control your flightpath without having a reset movement input every second would improve the control model, not degrade it.

Right now I am running out of "table" when I fly with the mouse or drive a regular vehicle as I simply have to constantly make inputs with the mouse to keep the vehicle for example in a curve . That´s simply annoying and not realistic. If I drive a car and have my direction set with the steering wheel I dont have to permanently move the wheel to keep it in position. In Arma I have to do exactly that because of the autocenter feature that only allows impulses of steering but not consistent steering.

I also very much doubt that the mouse cursor can be shown/altered with addons as the autocentre feature seems to be implemented with the controls itself and not the model, so it would be an enginewise change not an addonwise one.

The perfect example why this should definately be implemented (Hell, I´m not even talking about a new feature as it has been perfectly working in grandpa OFP) is the Kamov cannon with it´s funky TV cam. It is definately rendered useless with the mouse autocentre feature as you can´t move it an inch anymore. Instead you rotate the whole helicopter. This is just nonsense.

I guess showing the cursor and make it "free" again would not downgrade the current control model an inch but only improve it

for all. Those who fly with joystick may use it or not but those with mouse definately need it to have fluent control of their weapon systems and flightpath.

So everyone wins, noone is suffering.

BIS could even make it so that the mouse cursor is hidden when you enter a vehicle but it becomes visible when you move your mouse. This is no big job at all as you only have to check a position change of the mousecursor and if there is a change in XY coords you show the cursor, if not (for the joystick ones) it will stay hidden.

Imo the porting of Flight controls from XBox Elite to Arma resulted in a downgrade of useability and control over your aircraft and your onboard weapon systems. Something that is not broken does not have to be fixed. It worked great in OFP but now it castrates the control of aircrafts and at parts even renders certain components of aircrafts totally useless (Kamov cam, all free moveable cannons and guns in helicopters that are not under control of an additional player). Try to engage infantry units with your onboard cannon in a single seated helo and you know what I mean.

I HOPE they change it, else it´s a step backwards permanently.

I have also an issue with that "impulse" thingy. Just driving a truck or car is insane if you want to take a sharp corner. In the heat of the battle I need to push lamp, pencils and staples from my desk to have enough space for my mouse. For copters I would keep the behavior as it is, but the steering input itself is wrecked.

By the way, if you are in the Gunner seat of a AH-1 and looking through the Hellfire optics, your cursor is straight ahead, NOT following your vision.

If you want to designate a target manually (Lock or Zoom command) you have to switch to the cannon so that the cursor follows your view, then switch back to the hellfire after you lock it, then fire.

I drive and fly choppers with just BOTH mouse and keyboard at the same time. found after a little practice (just like OFP) its easy.

Like slow bends on the road or slow turns in the air .... use the mouse.

If on the road or in the air you need to turn harder .... add the keyboad key.

BUT, flying planes with this combination is a little too hard and risky.

But, I do think this would be best if we could get a in game Joystick sensitivity and offset dialog. Better still if it was different profiles for different type vehicles ... ie Wheel, Track, Sea, Heli, Plane.

I Can't activate the patch. Running Morphicon German download version. I'm selecting 'Re-Install Existing License'. It asks me for License Holder and Purchase Ref??? WTF is that, the email has serial number and CD key. I've used every combination I can think of entering into those boxes, I've tried 'Activate New License' and used serial number and CD key in that... still no luck, shows 'Activation Failed - Activation Code not recognized'

Any help appreciated.

Serial Holder is your e-mail that you bought the Morphicon copy with.

It's possible that you're out of activations. You'd have to call up Morphicon and get some more.

Instead of using the new beta ArmA shortcut, go to your ArmA Folder and use the new MS-DOS Batch File called startbetapatch. wink_o.gif It shouldn't ask you to reactivate anymore.

Just driving a truck or car is insane if you want to take a sharp corner. In the heat of the battle I need to push lamp, pencils and staples from my desk to have enough space for my mouse.

Lol guess you've never heard of raising your mouse from the table and put it back quickly very fast ? You're overexaggerating, really. With default sensitivity it's easy to make the sharpest turns when you use this method.

You can also just press A ('left'wink_o.gif or D ('right'wink_o.gif if you think your mouse is to heavy for you.

smoke grenade still don't block the view of the AI. Should be patched asap. A very important tactical feature in a game that claims to be near to realistic!

Huge difference in how boat perform ....... at least they now have some speed and come ashore properly.

I noticed you have to run the server beta to get it to work on a client also ..... no surprise I guess.

Quote[/b] ]smoke grenade still don't block the view of the AI. Should be patched asap. A very important tactical feature in a game that claims to be near to realistic!

Smoke grenades work to prevent the AI from spotting you, but they don't work to prevent the AI targeting you once they have discovered you.

It's just how the target boxes work when an ai commander assigns you a target. If you have been targetted, you need to get behind consealment, if not cover, and move around a bit in unpredictable ways and then wait for a bit. If you just pop out again, they'll still remember you as a target. If you don't move, they'll just fire on the position the last saw you at, or along the vector they just saw you moving on if you do.

some time i just think that the auto center thing in a car when using mouse is the most stupid thing in the world, it wont be a problem on a keyborad as its how it work on a race game in the old days, but mouse are more or less like a joystick confused_o.gif

It's just how the target boxes work when an ai commander assigns you a target. If you have been targetted, you need to get behind consealment, if not cover, and move around a bit in unpredictable ways and then wait for a bit. If you just pop out again, they'll still remember you as a target. If you don't move, they'll just fire on the position the last saw you at, or along the vector they just saw you moving on if you do.

That's very true. The AI's accuracy of your position fades over time so it's best to pop up, shoot, stay down for 10 seconds while moving someplace else and do it again.

Quote[/b] ]Words2.medic

I get this one from time to time too.

I thought that it was some add-on conflict, but apparently this not the case. Has this been reported to the bug tracker?