Sign in to follow this  
MeNeZ

Cant move while reloading

Apologies for my comments that had the encompassing word "animators", I think I probably misconstrued myself.

As is mentioned above, and I am well aware, it is not JUST about making the top half of the body move independently from the bottom half, everything still has to fit together and the animations themselves in ArmA, rigid as they may be, are excellent.

The distinction to be drawn here is between ragdoll and ragdoll physics... that one part of the skeleton can operate independently of the other. The physics part is still un-necessary and I'm still not sure ragdoll is the correct way of expressing it... perhaps skeletal.

Yeah, just forget 'ragdoll' altogether. Ragdoll is a physics approach. What you describe has no phyics involved. There is no rag in the doll, it's simply a way of transforming a mesh by assigning vertexes to move in a certain way in relation to another bit of geometry. The skeleton is still moving with the same prerecorded transformations over time that a non-skeletal based system would use, it's just that because each bone is a seperate object, they can be transformed independently of each other.

In the "OFP addon discussion" forum there was a 2 or 3 year old thread from General Barron in which he made a config change that allowed reloading while moving.

For people being interested in getting a reloading while moving feature, search for the thread to check his method to see if his change can be done in the arma config.

I dont see the point.

Reloading is fast enough...

When a player reloads he is usually not in a safe training environment but combat situation, going prone or taking cover is smart to do.

If you play with a group the other player might see you reloading, if the situation asks for it he should cover you.

the anims and reload times affect all types of firearms the same way (unfortunatly), you dont want to see a guy jogging and reloading a belt fed machinegun in 2 seconds... its already bad how it is.

I think it could be alot of work for something trivial that wouldnt add much to the game.

I agree that there are times when we should be able to interrupt an animated action to perform an evasive move though.

BTW, according to my understanding, there must be at least some skeletal animation going on in arma or else you wouldn't be able to move the head of the model, the arms or other parts that seem to be moving independently of the walk animation.

BTW, according to my understanding, there must be at least some skeletal animation going on in arma or else you wouldn't be able to move the head of the model, the arms or other parts that seem to be moving independently of the walk animation.

True, so I don't see the issue... smile_o.gif

/Sign

We should be able to stop reloading if needed.

True, so I don't see the issue... smile_o.gif

There must be some kind of issue or BIS wouldn't do a different animation for each direction of walking in each stance. Evidently, the characters are classed as vehicles and as such probably have 'turrets'. This is far and away from the sort of thing we would be asking for.

The issue is either design or resources related... meaning it's out of the scope of the project for now... meaning they either don't want to, haven't yet, or can't.

I don't know, I'm not a programmer. Their ways use the mysteries of mathematics, logic, and resource management. Their works are systems so complicated and yet seem so simple that we are forced to stare dumbfounded and ask make comments like, "Zomgzorz, why no ragdollz? Ragdollz like Ravenshield Kthnx. And Dynamic destruction. LOLZ."

This mention of ragdolls has nothing to do with the way it appeared in this thread, btw.

Well, quite. I just find it odd that if it is as you say (I cannot refute your observation), then have BIS taken a step backwards? Anyway, this is getting off-topic.. we have what we have. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I know that personally I can move at a decent speed and do a competent reload of an M4/M16-style weapon. Hell, it was one of the things we trained - walking back and forth out in a field, doing reloads while moving at a tactical walk until our arms were about to fall off. It's completely possible.

I agree you can do it while walking, but not running for example from cover to cover, jumping over logs (lets say it's a forest environment) or sprinting at full speed, or when you are going up or down stairs. For the purposes of this game it would suffice to allow a player to stop the reloading animation by choosing to move. The problem is that no matter whether it's an m136 or a handgun until the animation is complete a player can't do anything - neither drop to the ground nor move.

Just to say that BIS tried and couldn't do it is an assumption. I would assume it's just not on their priority list, and we as a community have to let them know - just like with tracers. Nother thing that comes to mind is complete immobility when looking through a binocular

Well, quite. I just find it odd that if it is as you say (I cannot refute your observation), then have BIS taken a step backwards? Anyway, this is getting off-topic.. we have what we have. smile_o.gif

I don't know if it's offtopic. We're speculating on the cans and can'ts of ArmA in terms of making reload animations while moving.

I don't think it's a step backwards. More is possible in Armed Assault than it was in Operation Flashpoint. All we can say about that is that they haven't made visible significant steps away from OFP in terms of that gameplay mechanic. ArmA is, after-all, referred to as OFP 1.5 by BIS (or was at some point).

If it's possible to have it, I'd love an ability like this.

I dont see the point.

Reloading is fast enough...

When a player reloads he is usually not in a safe training environment but combat situation, going prone or taking cover is smart to do.

If you play with a group the other player might see you reloading, if the situation asks for it he should cover you.

Again you are talking about the "smart" thing to do like it's a universal constant that you are in a situation where calm and pre-planned acting is key to success. I could imagine that you are a chess player, it has somewhat restricting rules for every game piece so that there will be no room for surprise element and everything goes as the players plan it. However, war and specifically combat is different. That's why an as broad as possible choice of action is desired.

/signed

In it's current state reloading feels very artificial. Particularly when a situation arises, in which you would need to cancel a reload.

signed

Same here. Stopping reloading beeing able to move would solve a lot of the issues described above. No animation transitions are really needed.