Sign in to follow this  
Cam51

Question for the Dev's

Question: In Armed Assault, is it possible to have a "turret" optic on a fixed wing aircraft?

Example: Pilot flys, and gunner hits V/Num Pad 0 for optics and can ROTATE the crosshair around to scan the ground below.

The addon I am currently about to work on requires this feature to be in the game inorder for it's concept and idea to work properly. If its not possible, I won't even begin work.

Thanks for reading my question. xmas_o.gif

Think one of the Devs ( Suma? ) once posted something about it being a engine limitation.

Thats why the Ka-50 has a fixed one... pretty useless bird without it if you not just wanna hunt tanks.

wtf?

turrets are still not possible on fixed wing aircraft?

you must be kiddin...

banghead.gif

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

No turrets?

Well how does Cobra then fire all round with it's gun. The gun is in the nose mounted turret.

No turrets?

Well how does Cobra then fire all round with it's gun. The gun is in the nose mounted turret.

ROFLMAO rofl.gif

Ever knew the difference between fixed wing aircraft and rotary aircraft wink_o.gifrofl.gif

Cobra is a Helicopter and configed that way in ArmA.

a fixed wing aircraft for example a AC-130 would be coded as a fixed wing aircraft.

that are 2 different classes in ArmA wink_o.gif

I am presuming that this is for some kind of electro-optical

display for AGM 65 missiles or similar. If it is, then know that

there's no IR imagery possible either without extensive

modification, so if that was what you intended then it'd be

a non-starter on more than one count (if this assertion

about "no turrets on fixed wing a/c" is in fact true, that is).

its a rotary wing ..

its a chopper..

it only has wings for the purpose of carrying load...

The way I understand the turret limitations for aircraft is that the pilot/driver cannot operate a turret, therefore the cobra works and the ka50 does not.

I believe it should be possible to have turrets on class Plane, although I have no idea about the optics situation.......yet.

Planck

I am presuming that this is for some kind of electro-optical

display for AGM 65 missiles or similar. If it is, then know that

there's no IR imagery possible either without extensive

modification, so if that was what you intended then it'd be

a non-starter on more than one count (if this assertion

about "no turrets on fixed wing a/c" is in fact true, that is).

Nope.... but your getting kind of warm. Hint1: your thinking of the wrong weapon. Hint2: the new View distance fix in the patch will really let this addon shine.

IR imagery won't matter, but it would have been a nice touch.

Quote[/b] ]The way I understand the turret limitations for aircraft is that the pilot/driver cannot operate a turret, therefore the cobra works and the ka50 does not.

I believe it should be possible to have turrets on class Plane, although I have no idea about the optics situation.......yet

Is there anyay you can get a solid confirm on this? With this answer I will start work, thanks for the information.

Yeah if anyone got the awnser for this question, plz let us all know. Would really like to convert my C-130 into a AC-130 smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Yeah if anyone got the awnser for this question, plz let us all know. Would really like to convert my C-130 into a AC-130 smile_o.gif

Look in for "Main Turret" 2/3 the way down the the page.

Quote[/b] ]Animation - mainGun

Description -  The main gun.

Simulation Classes  -  Car, Tank, Helicopter, Ship

This would seem to suggest that its not possible to add turrets to fixed wing aircraft.

I've been experimenting myself with an AC130 and not managed to get turrets working on a fixed wing aircraft.

Look in for "Main Turret" 2/3 the way down the the page.

Quote[/b] ]Animation - mainGun

Description - The main gun.

Simulation Classes - Car, Tank, Helicopter, Ship

This would seem to suggest that its not possible to add turrets to fixed wing aircraft.

I've been experimenting myself with an AC130 and not managed to get turrets working on a fixed wing aircraft.

I would really like a official responce from a dev about this topic.

The AC-130 would really benefit from this, but thats not what the plan is calling for.

Can we please get a solid yes or no on this?

Guest RKSL-Rock
The ... but thats not what the plan is calling for.

Sorry but it is.  The function you are asking for is a turret on a fixed wing aircraft.  It may not seem like it for your application but that is what is used to give the gunner 'steerable optics'.

Sorry but it is.

No no... I meant that the project I am working on is not an AC-130, I know that the turret is need for the optics, and I need it for my addons optics too.

why there is not an official channel of communication in this forum

between modders and BIS official fonts regarding these questions ?

i think it's not asking too much whistle.gif

Relax a bit people - It's the weekend, BI are busy drinking Czech beer or whatever they like to do on the weekend : )

Your making some sort of aerial recon vehicle?

Anyway at the end of OFP there were some projects going about the attached turret. But because aircraft move all axes it couldnt be implemented well. Because the turret couldnt follow the planes movements.

Is it still impossible to do this with the slightly updated ARMA engine... ?

And could you make a helicopter class aircraft fly like a fixed wing aircraft...?

Your making some sort of aerial recon vehicle?

And could you make a helicopter class aircraft fly like a fixed wing aircraft...?

Wrong again wink_o.gif This vehicle is definatly made to kill.

This will probably be the route I'll take, since choppers seem to handle more like aircraft now in ArmA at higher speeds.

wrong, wrong, ... Hmmm nice idea but wrong wink_o.gif

It’s not necessarily the vehicle that is new, but the weapon system on board that’s meant to deliver the death.

EDIT: Heres a huge hint at what we plan to accomplish: youtube video

1.) Is there a parameter in ArmA that can set the turret turn speed? If yes, what is the name, where is the description?

2.) Are there parameter for turning on/off the stabilization simulation in ArmA? If yes, if yes, what are the names, where is the description? Are there other parameter to influence the stabilization effect?

3.) If 1.) answered with no, are there any plans to implement this? If yes, when?

4.) If 2.) answered with no, are there any plans to implement this? If yes, when?

5.) "(Tanks eg)", Does this mean I can use this class for all vehicles (boat, tracked, wheeled....)?

Quote[/b] ]The class with all turret fields can be found is NewTurret in CfgVehicles / AllVehicles.

Replies to your questions:

1) maxHorizontalRotSpeed / maxVerticalRotSpeed

2) no

5) Any tank, car, ship should support fully. Helicopters and airplanes should support most of the features, but there may be some weapon type limitations.

Edited by Suma on Jan. 15 2007,16:50

question was answered before i think , vaguely

here