Sign in to follow this  
Stryder

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Any news on a Demo? It looks great and I am a big fan of Fallout, but am worried about it being able to run on my Laptop. I read on the Developers site it can run on quite low systems due to it being originally for lower spec computers, but would still prefere a demo before shelling out for it.

Sounds like a great action/rpg game.

finally on the road to pripyat, but heading back to find the guide and kill strelok or whomever - although the recent flashbacks I've had seem to indicate that I've been to the power plant before, so I smell a plot twist tounge2.gif

really enjoying it though, although the snorks are a pain in the ass - they just make you bleed so much. The bloodsuckers aren't too bad to be honest, just a bit of a pain when you have to keep a close eye on the shimmer they produce. Running backwards with the SPAS works well I find,

Could someone please be so kind and tell me the official system requirements and in addition also your systems that runs stalker fine. (in-official system requiremnts)

Id like to know cause I could get it for 35 € and thus an considering getting it since ArmA is xxxx.

official:

Min:

XP

P4 2GHZ/AMD XP 2200

512MB RAM

128MB VIDEO

10 GIG HDD Space

Rec:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400/AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

1024 RAM

256MB VIDEO

Me:

Core 2 Duo E6600

2048 RAM

ATI X1950XTS

runs ok on full settings, get the odd slow down when the game appears to 'think' about what's about to be rendered/happen etc. Apparently the game prefers Nvidia to ATI according to tech forums etc. New patch apparently fixes alot of issues, but it also screws up save games, so I haven't had a chance to test yet seeing as I want to complete my current game first.

Thx for the good info Messiah. My system just meets the minimum requirements so I'll give it a try.

Shame there is no SP demo out there.

not a problem - well worth it I think - I simple haven't stumbled across any of the bugs that alot of people seem to rant at on a few forums, but then again I didn't have any issues with ArmA either - perhaps I'm just lucky with games when it comes to them working as they should.

the atmosphere of the game is like nothing I've experienced before, and the locations are amazing. I've been playing it since its release, taking it slow and steady, and I'm only just at the point where the story begins to make sense and the pieces fall into place (your character suffers from amnesia due to a vehicle crash, thus the story is very patchy at first, which adds to this idea)

about to head to pripyat and the power station itself, can't wait smile_o.gif

I wouldnt even look at stalker but i might try it since the response to it is rather positive around here. Its too bad that the whole zone is split in levels though.

Atm its a bit hard to think of playing a game other than Arma inlove.gif .

the zones bit makes for a bit of a linear approach to certain areas, especially as you tend to be forced to walk through ambushes etc because it's impossible to walk around them.

plus from what I've read, pripyat is so heavily swamped with enemies, you dont get much of a chance to explore the city, rather you struggle to fight your way through as quickly as possible.

Just for comparison's sake, I have the same system as Messiah - 2gb ddr2 667 and an Nvidia 7900. I run at 1680x1050, max settings and experience the same occasional 'pauses for thought' that he mentions although nothing that affects gameplay.

normally happen at the very start of entering a new zone for me... perhaps 5 seconds or so where is pauses a little and then fine from then.

Sorry, but I must admit it is quite refreshing after 2 hours of Stalker to go back to ArmA. And I am realy no only-BIS-Fanboy as far as games are concerned. I enjoy games from all sorts of genres (and also tried CSS as well WOW).

My point is, Stalker isnt bad, but ArmA is definetly the most interesting game out there at the moment. I know that not every topic out there has to be about Armed Assault, but that was just the feeling that struck me after playing Stalker.

Haha, I'm the exact opposite right now. I'm just waiting to get off work so I can go home, walk the dog and jump back to STALKER. I love ARMA as much as the next guy, but it's refreshing to finally find a game that I enjoy playing without any thoughts of wanting to mod it or wish it were something else such as different location or era (Boiling Point/GTA/GRAW/any WW2 FPS).

I'm going to be very sad when I finally win the game unlike the main ARMA campaign which I could wait to finish. I'm not including custom missions or campaigns into the mix, just straight "out of the box" fun.

To each his own I guess, and I know once I finish it it'll be back to ARMA, so maybe thats why I'm having so much fun with it as ARMA will end up like OFP for me, more work that play.

Haha, I'm the exact opposite right now. I'm just waiting to get off work so I can go home, walk the dog and jump back to STALKER. I love ARMA as much as the next guy, but it's refreshing to finally find a game that I enjoy playing without any thoughts of wanting to mod it or wish it were something else such as different location or era (Boiling Point/GTA/GRAW/any WW2 FPS).

Ditto.

Quote[/b] ]I'm going to be very sad when I finally win the game unlike the main ARMA campaign which I could wait to finish.

Nothing to worry about. I'm on my 3rd round now. It has tons of replay-value. smile_o.gif

I'm finding new toys (weapons and artifacts) each time. For example; on my first round I got the 92FS pretty early. There is only one NPC in the entire game that carries it and he just happend to die when some bandits attacked the checkpoint to the south of the "town" (where the bar is). The 92FS is is one of the best handguns in the game.

On my second round I found the Desert Eagle and the modified Desert Eagle(unique) next to it in a crate. The modified variant uses 9x39 rifle ammo which makes it the most powerful handgun in the game. The rapid AK-74 (unique) with a scope, MP5SD(unique), MP5 9x18(unique) and the SVD MK2(stronger zoom+higher accuracy)(unique) are also cool toys.

I tend to collect all the unique weapons I find regardless of their working condition because there is only one of each kind in the game biggrin_o.gif

got through pripyat very quickly, mainly because there was no choice in the matter - the outside of chenobyl is the same, I had to run through it because if you try and explore and take your time, you get minced by the Hinds and soldiers... such a waste of a level... inside the power plant now, willl see how i go tomorrow.

I've been putting off going past the Red Forest as I know once that happens I'm getting close to the end, lol. I'm going back to try and do every side job rather than try my usual "breeze through the game as fast as I can" method. I may just do everything I can before heading north, put the game away for a while, then come back to it later just to drag it out smile_o.gif I never play games like this more than once since they require a pretty good amount of time. Kind of hard to just sit for 20 min with this one. Once through is about all I can have time for so I better enjoy it the first time around smile_o.gif

New patch will include free roam mode, maybe now we can explore pripyat without getting shot on every corner.  smile_o.gif SO i think replay value will increase with this mode.

deffinatly - ebud, I did the same but still have to venture north eventually - will probably try a new go with the patches as well, as I want to find some nice unique weapons - this first time round I've only found a supressed/lightened SA80 which is fairly useless.

Gauss Cannon is damn fun though biggrin_o.gif

Gauss Cannon is damn fun though  biggrin_o.gif

Can you get it before the final level?

apparently yes, you can find it in a crate somewhere, sometimes, but I had to wait for pripyat to shoot a guy off a roof with my VSS to get hold of it.

When i saved a guy he told me where to buy one for a few hundred rubles, never checked it out though... smile_o.gif

Yeah had that too but also never checked it out... got me a VSS in the Freedom camp ( yay finally ) and it rocks, headshot proven tounge2.gif

Btw anyone got a short version of how to do the strelok quest right?

If i understood that right finding Ghost first and afterwards Streloks stash makes me unable to ever see the best ending cause i dont get the quest for the keycode in prypjat?

Somwhere i read you can still get the code by using grenades to flush the codekey to a window and grab it there... anyone tried this?

After you turn off the antennas go see the barkeep. He will tell you to go see Guide. He in turn will tell you to go and see the doctor (at Strelok's stash).

Prepare to be surprised when you see the doctor whistle.gif

The story begins to make sense after that.